CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
StormOfTalons
Acockolypse Now
spareparts
b381l
elcid99
sporkgod50
auslander
M.C.
75CarolinaFan
An Aggies View of th (1114)
My predictions for 2 (1032)
Mike Davis' HS Coach (771)
Tennessee (741)
Elcid99 (732)
Question on Student (501)
Erin Murray's brothe (465)
Clowney in Practice (442)
SEC Recruiting Advan (416)
Camp scheduled relea (355)
Mike Davis' HS Coach on H
Question on Student Secti
FIFA 14 on PS3
Tennessee
Elcid99
An Aggies View of the Mat
SEC Recruiting Advantage
Rokevious Watkins cut fro
My predictions for 2014
2015 Commitment - Mon Den

Old 01-12-2014, 03:13 AM   #41
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Beasley staying

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo_robbins View Post
Clemson draft eligible player who has likely hit his college ceiling returns: DABO IS A CON ARTIST AND SCAMMING THESE PLAYERS!!!

Gamecock draft eligible player who has likely hit his college ceiling leaves: HE'S MAKING A HUGE MISTAKE AND HE NEEDS TO COME BACK FOR ANOTHER YEAR!!!
Can you show me a thread where a junior projected in the first round decides to leave and we say they need to come back to improve their stock? I doubt it. We're talking about our guys that are projected 4th round and below. I've seen people on this board say that Clemson's Bryant is making a mistake leaving early. I don't see where there's a double standard.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:27 AM   #42
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 15000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

maybe he wants to be in the next senior class that loses to spurrier.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:56 AM   #43
eatlighting
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
eatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot materialeatlighting is USC mascot material

I'd be plenty happy if most of our juniors chose to stay year in and year out; however, there is no way I'd condone it if I knew our coaches were using tactics to convince our guys to stay. It should be their choice.

The skeezy thing about Abo doing this is that so much of his "success" can be attributed to him doing this. Take this year for example. Boyd should've been gone last year. Instead, he stays behind and has a better than average senior year (enough to look good in the ACC but still not better than Shaw) and wins the Orange Bowl National Chumpionship for his doofus coach.

At the same time, orange bowls and decent seasons don't count for much on that draft stock that would've been much higher last year.

I guarantee you TB would've gone higher than EJ Manuel. That was a terrible decision that cost him but benefited Abo. I guess those kids just don't see through that.

My favorite argument from the taters is that we Coots just want those guys gone so that our team doesn't have to face them again lol... Logic FTW.
eatlighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:46 AM   #44
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

If he stays that is not a good business decision, but if it is in his heart to stay, then he should stay. We can handle it, we have before.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:07 AM   #45
usctiburon03
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 24000
usctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudlyusctiburon03 is crowing loudly

Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do....make his team the best it can possibly be? Shouldn't a coach try to keep his best players on the team, thus making the team better? It's like a 2nd recruiting phase. I don't see a problem with it.
usctiburon03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #46
wumarshall82
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

wumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatlighting View Post
I'd be plenty happy if most of our juniors chose to stay year in and year out; however, there is no way I'd condone it if I knew our coaches were using tactics to convince our guys to stay. It should be their choice.

The skeezy thing about Abo doing this is that so much of his "success" can be attributed to him doing this. Take this year for example. Boyd should've been gone last year. Instead, he stays behind and has a better than average senior year (enough to look good in the ACC but still not better than Shaw) and wins the Orange Bowl National Chumpionship for his doofus coach.

At the same time, orange bowls and decent seasons don't count for much on that draft stock that would've been much higher last year.

I guarantee you TB would've gone higher than EJ Manuel. That was a terrible decision that cost him but benefited Abo. I guess those kids just don't see through that.

My favorite argument from the taters is that we Coots just want those guys gone so that our team doesn't have to face them again lol... Logic FTW.
Ha ha. Lets see your sources on what you know is fact?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #47
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usctiburon03 View Post
Isn't that what a coach is supposed to do....make his team the best it can possibly be? Shouldn't a coach try to keep his best players on the team, thus making the team better? It's like a 2nd recruiting phase. I don't see a problem with it.
See this is the blurred line between college football and nfl football. In the pros yes make your team better but in college it could be argued that the coach while make his team better is supposed to be a molder or men not just a leader. Teach them to make responsible choices. I have no issue if any player ever decides to leave. Nobody should be surprised that dado is trying to keep talent he said in October that only Sammy should leave that nobody else was ready for next level
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #48
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Clowney stays 3 years and is an automatic top 5 pic.

Beasley has to stay 4 years to maybe get in the top 15.

Yet, Clemson still believes Vic is better than JD.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:01 PM   #49
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his comb

The fact that Clemson fans are even debating this is laughable. Spurrier is on the record as saying if projected in the top 3 rounds, you should go. He gives simple, objective advice and lets his player decide. Some have made good decisions, others - not so much. But there is no bias or emotional pleas.

Last year Boyd was projected as a first rounder, second at worst. The all in nonsense Dabo spews emotionally appealed to Boyd, except the all in does not matter for Boyd's future or bank account. I think Boyd will now get drafted in the 2nd to 3rd rounds at a high financial cost. Maybe he shows out at the combine or impresses a team who takes him earlier who knows.

ESPN has Beasley rated the 22nd pick in the latest mock draft. That is by Mel Kiper and other draft gurus. That is worth millions. If Dabo is telling the kid anything but "you are a first round pick, early 2nd at worst and that you should strongly consider going" then he is shameful and selfish.
duff18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:25 PM   #50
bobbycock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 15000
bobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his combbobbycock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
If he stays that is not a good business decision, but if it is in his heart to stay, then he should stay. We can handle it, we have before.
True. We handled Boyd just fine in his last season. It is a poor business decision if this was not a heartfelt thing from HIS heart and not Dabo's. He will just be another senior that has lost all four years to USC. He will have to live with that no matter how he does in the NFL.
bobbycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #51
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

Seems to me if you go later in the first round you have an excellent chance of going to a playoff team with lots less urgency to win now
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #52
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

Good, now he can be 0 for 4 against Carolina.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #53
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

How the hell does Clemson get these kids to stay in school. Beasley would of been a late 1st round pick, 2nd round at worst.

Boyd would of been a 1st rounder last year and he came back.

We have kids bolting early every year as late round picks.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #54
Latt7more
Ball so hard...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Latt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPitLatt7more rules the CockPit

Beasley is a part of Dabo's family now. He can't abandon Dabo.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:48 PM   #55
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

Ughhhhhh. Why. Take the money now, support your family, invest your paycheck and get that 20% return now, endorsement deals now, etc.
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #56
cockybusiness2
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 476700
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Maybe, he knows that he will not make it in the NFL. So he opted for a college degree (even if it is in farming).
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #57
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
Ughhhhhh. Why. Take the money now, support your family, invest your paycheck and get that 20% return now, endorsement deals now, etc.

endorsement deals.... from who, Bi-Lo?
Old 01-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #58
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo_robbins View Post
Clemson draft eligible player who has likely hit his college ceiling returns: DABO IS A CON ARTIST AND SCAMMING THESE PLAYERS!!!

Gamecock draft eligible player who has likely hit his college ceiling leaves: HE'S MAKING A HUGE MISTAKE AND HE NEEDS TO COME BACK FOR ANOTHER YEAR!!!
Spot on. It's amazing how perspective changes when a person is emotionally involved with a team/school. In this case, the people weighing in are emotionally invested on both sides, just in opposite ways.

When one of our guys decides to leave early, lots of people on here will inevitably say that guy "needs" another year to improve his play or drat stock, even if the player in question is one of our stars (actually ESPECIALLY if it's a major contributor). When a CU player is making a decision, the USC fans on here always think the guy needs to go ahead and leave, ESPECIALLY if it's one of CU's star players.

Want to know why? Because we're all selfish and want what's best for the school/team we love. If one of our stars wants to leave early, we want him to stay because we're afraid his departure will have a direct impact on our success on the field. If a CU player is thinking of leaving early, we all want that guy to leave early because we're afraid that good player's return could be the difference in continuing the streak or not.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:30 PM   #59
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
endorsement deals.... from who, Bi-Lo?
Lattimore was a 4th round draft pick and had endorsement deals. Beasley should go much higher
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #60
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBigSpur View Post
Lattimore was a 4th round draft pick and had endorsement deals. Beasley should go much higher

Because of Latti's nationwide reputation. Everybody in the country knew who Lattimore was. USC & the ACC knows who Beasley is.