CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
MWard
sanford
b381l
TAFC 5 1981
WeStillOwnUSC
U-Dub Gamecock
Aggie96
75CarolinaFan
gamecockgal
spareparts
Sidney Rice Retiring (1163)
A good friend of min (570)
Dan Patrick Show - P (532)
ESPN Insider (432)
Pictures of older Co (376)
A Clowney Spotting? (320)
Places to eat in Con (221)
Bonefish Grill (211)
SOS Dominating SEC M (168)
Tenn vs WVU in Charl (164)
Another A&M aggie off
Texags
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
ESPN Insider
2015 - Johnny Frasier
Ace suspended 4 games
Places To Eat In Beufort
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Stephen Garcia AMA on Red
2015 - Christian Pellage

Old 01-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #21
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
As for Garcia his biggest mistake was letting it go on for as long as he did. No player should ever get to a point where he's suspended 5 times before he's removed from the program.
Oh you can't post that.

If Garcia had been suspended 10 times, we'd still have people defending him and blaming the Hymans for their vendetta against Garcia.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #22
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

McGee most certainly hired Brad Scott. Kind Dixon was gone by then. McGee fired Sparky and hired Scott.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/keyword/brad-scott

McGee also kept after Holtz until he said yes. It took multiple tries. I remember one story of Holtz telling McGee that he prayed on it, and he felt that God told him not to take it. McGee told Holtz that he prayed and God told him to tell Holtz to pray again.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #23
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurrierismyhomeboy View Post
Glad he took his war chest with him to College Station. Keep in mind he hired Horn over Marshall. He also had a personal vendetta against Garcia. Worst of all he let his wife play Carolina Girls before he 4th quarter at Williams-Brice, should have fired him on the spot for that one!
That's funny you say that considering your avatar. You must have liked the Frank hire somewhat.
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #24
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

One page derailment into a Garcia thread. A new record
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #25
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Love him or hate him, former AD Eric Hyman is proud he shook USC out of its rut

Granted he would like to take the credit, but Eric Hyman was not the person that turned it around at South Carolina.

What did he do?

He did not hire Spurrier. That was McGee. In fact, McGee was the AD that did more to get the ball rolling than Hyman. Hyman, after McGee retired, just had good timing.

He did not hire Tanner. In fact, Hyman resisted giving Ray a good raise and risked him getting poached just as he neared the cusp of winning the first National Championship in baseball.

He borrowed a lot of money and upgraded the facilities. So has every other SEC team, including Vandy. The money was going to come to South Carolina because of our conference affliiation.

Hyman did not get us into the SEC. That was King Dixon. Therefore, Dixon deserves more praise for the facility upgrades than does Hyman.

What I would really like to know is how Hyman can manipulate the South Carolina media to give him this free praise? All those years of sucking up to the media and not backing up coaches and players when he was the AD must be continuing to pay off for Hyman.
He did not hire Spurrier, but he clearly shared a lot of Spurrier's ideas about what needed to get done and helped to get things going. No telling what kind of success Spurrier would have had under the mold of previous regimes.

Tanner is still around isn't he? As I recall there were plenty of fans calling for Tanner's head before we won that first title in baseball. Seems to me it was smart of Hyman not to fire him like all the fans wanted.

Sure he borrowed money, but he also got us making more. I know the SEC deals and all are very lucrative, but shaking up the way ticket prices, donations, and fees worked was 100% necessary. As much as everyone hated him for it I don't see where Ray Tanner has announced any plans to get rid of it. I wonder why that is. The department was losing money every year. I don't care how much the SEC was giving us, the ADs prior to Hyman wouldn't have known how to manage it or what to do with it.

We got into the SEC in '92, yet our facilities didn't start moving in the right direction until Hyman showed up. Again, why was nobody else able to improve the facilities?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #26
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I felt like I needed to take a shower every time I had to meet him. The sort of feeling you get from a cross between a politician and a sleazy used car salesman.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #27
henmania
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I felt like I needed to take a shower every time I had to meet him. The sort of feeling you get from a cross between a politician and a sleazy used car salesman.
I worked with Eric quite a bit and thought he was very professional and did a good job. You can say a lot about Eric, but sleazy isn't one of them. To those of you who think Eric had a personal vendetta against Garcia need to get a life. Spurrier had more issues with Garcia than Eric did. What happened to Garcia was Garcia's own doing. Spurrier only regret about Garcia is that he didn't have another option. He has sworn never to be in that position with a player again.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #28
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Looks like another one of those off-season 'whatever' threads.
Help Eric float his ego, err, boat?? Sure thing - like a rock. LOLOL.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #29
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
^Garcia had a drinking problem not a drug problem
Alcohol is a drug. It's one of the only legal ones in this country, besides weed in a few states. He failed a drug test that got him kicked from the team. Whether it was another drug or alcohol he failed it, and was kicked from the team.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:55 PM   #30
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
One page derailment into a Garcia thread. A new record
That's what this was about to begin with. The Hyman hate centers around the belief that he was out to get the "warrior".
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:25 PM   #31
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

I do know this about Hyman... He did not want to give Tannner a raise after he won the first national title. The BOT's pretty much told Hyman, "If you lose Tanner right after he won a national title, you will soon follow"... To say the least, Tanner got a raise.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #32
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Eric who....oh yeah that asshole, glad he is someone else's problem now. Glad Tanner is our AD. Our administration now is better than ever before, because Tanner hasn't made any huge hires, but he is a respected guy and can bring in coaches, he understands them, he understands players, and lastly business. Our President pastides is a guy who strives for our university to be of the utmost academic standards, but as a college kid we love him because he will always speak to you, doesn't act snoody, and loves sports. Our coaches are some of the best in the biz, we truly are more stable than ever.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #33
the_ultimatethrill
Walk On

the_ultimatethrill is learning to peckthe_ultimatethrill is learning to peck

I get the Tanner love but could you imagine Tanner replacing McGee. I cannot we needed someone like Hyman who was man enough to bust up the good ole days of old and get revenue pumping. Tanner even said in the article how happy he is to have been under Hyman and seen how he did things and how Hyman's vision has helped him in the transition.
the_ultimatethrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #34
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star

CockyCash: 304
spurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
I do know this about Hyman... He did not want to give Tannner a raise after he won the first national title. The BOT's pretty much told Hyman, "If you lose Tanner right after he won a national title, you will soon follow"... To say the least, Tanner got a raise.
THIS...a thousand times, THIS! When Hyman got here he had NO respect for the baseball program. Now at 175 other schools you can pay the baseball program no mind, but not here.

spurrierismyhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:52 PM   #35
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star

CockyCash: 304
spurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
That's funny you say that considering your avatar. You must have liked the Frank hire somewhat.
I do like Frank Martin, and I believe he will turn this program around. Although if you give me a choice between Horn and Martin, or just Marshall, give me Marshall a hundred times over. Hyman should have hired Marshall as soon as Odom left.

spurrierismyhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:18 AM   #36
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
Eric who....oh yeah that asshole, glad he is someone else's problem now. Glad Tanner is our AD. Our administration now is better than ever before, because Tanner hasn't made any huge hires, but he is a respected guy and can bring in coaches, he understands them, he understands players, and lastly business. Our President pastides is a guy who strives for our university to be of the utmost academic standards, but as a college kid we love him because he will always speak to you, doesn't act snoody, and loves sports. Our coaches are some of the best in the biz, we truly are more stable than ever.
What are you basing that on?

I don't currently have a problem with Tanner as AD but I'm still not sold on him yet either. We won't know what we have until a few years from now when we need to hire a new coach and everything that was already laid out in Hyman's master plan is nearing completion. Until then he's just a great baseball coach that's been able to keep the ball rolling in the AD office as far as I'm concerned. Certainly open to hearing about any key decisions Ray has made as AD that I might have missed. Promoting Holbrook to head baseball coach doesn't really count, though like with any coach we'll know in 3 or 4 years if that was really a good "hire."
Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #37
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
What are you basing that on?

I don't currently have a problem with Tanner as AD but I'm still not sold on him yet either. We won't know what we have until a few years from now when we need to hire a new coach and everything that was already laid out in Hyman's master plan is nearing completion. Until then he's just a great baseball coach that's been able to keep the ball rolling in the AD office as far as I'm concerned. Certainly open to hearing about any key decisions Ray has made as AD that I might have missed. Promoting Holbrook to head baseball coach doesn't really count, though like with any coach we'll know in 3 or 4 years if that was really a good "hire."
I am basing it on the fact that he himself is a coach, and well respected everywhere, all the coaches here like him, as for Holbrook, it does count, he got him to come be an assistant.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #38
Blitzer
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 300
Blitzer is crowing loudlyBlitzer is crowing loudlyBlitzer is crowing loudlyBlitzer is crowing loudlyBlitzer is crowing loudlyBlitzer is crowing loudlyBlitzer is crowing loudlyBlitzer is crowing loudlyBlitzer is crowing loudlyBlitzer is crowing loudlyBlitzer is crowing loudly

Hyman inked the Under Armour Deal and the new Radio deal that paid us a LOT more than the previous deals.

Hyman got the baseball stadium built, the football facility renovated, the Dodie built, the Farmers Market built, and the Beast Board installed.

McGee hired Spurrier but we did not have the level of success we are having now until the facilities were up to par with our opponents. A lot of people don't realize that we went from well behind Clemson in facilities to in front of them in a short period.

Bottom line, Hyman made people pay market price for tickets and you guys will always hate him for it.
Blitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #39
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
I am basing it on the fact that he himself is a coach, and well respected everywhere, all the coaches here like him, as for Holbrook, it does count, he got him to come be an assistant.
Hiring an assistant is not the same as doing a search for a head coach, unless you want to make the argument that every head coach in America that has ever hired an assistant that went on to be a head coach is capable of hiring a great head coach from the AD position.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #40
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

It's the offseason:(