CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
U-Dub Gamecock
Gamecocks1137
johnnyb
Cockhornleghorn
markymark550
GamecockMomSC
Travelin
2000grad
Regalcock
We Have to Pass (2348)
Rivalry Thoughts and (1876)
Spurrier weekly pres (1543)
This would be awesom (1035)
How is Shaq Davidson (937)
Perspective on our g (633)
Currently 2nd in att (509)
SEC referees? (482)
Defense and offense (412)
Black Friday Hard Co (305)
Why has there been 40 yea
We Have to Pass
Currently 2nd in attendan
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
2015 Commitment - Dexter
SEC referees?
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
**USC Women vs. Clemson G
Ced Cooper (#18) status?
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G

Old 01-13-2014, 12:24 AM   #41
SirBigSpur
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1800
SirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudlySirBigSpur is crowing loudly
Default Re: ***2014 Carolina Panthers offseason/draft/season thread***

The announcer said Shula's playcall on the 31 yard touchdown pass was wonderful. They were giving him a lot of praise.
SirBigSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:46 AM   #42
clemson sucks
6'0" 180

Male

CockyCash: 2477208
clemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot materialclemson sucks is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to clemson sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
Evans ain't gonna happen, unless we trade up - but he's def the most megatron-like prospect.

Richardson had a good game against Clowney in '12, but JD pretty much hosed him this season. Exposed some problems, to be sure.

I'd really rather have a faster, more play-making type than SR, who is more a possession receiver.

Weren't we negative in cap space at that point?

(1) I think Matthews is projecting as a late 1st/2nd round pick, and could be available.
(2) There's an excellent CB from Michigan St that might (with some luck) be around, as well.

I don't know. We've got Bruce Campbell on IR. Be interesting to see guards Silatolu and Kulbiga (the controversial draft pick last year), also coming off IR.
I was talking about Jake. I don't think Jordan Matthews is worthy of a first round pick.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:43 AM   #43
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Clausen got cut before this season and Stewart isn't going anywhere....

Quote:
Both Williams and Stewart have already had to restructure their deals to create cap space, but that just adds dead money to Carolina's cap in the future. Even worse, while Carolina might want to get rid of the two, it doesn't make economic sense to do so. Williams would make $6 million to play for the team next year, but Carolina would eat a $9.6 million dead money charge to cut him. Stewart, meanwhile, will make $5.5 million to play for Carolina or cost a staggering $18 million on their cap if they were to get rid of him. When Stewart's cap hit rises to $8.5 million in 2014, his dead money figure only falls to $12.7 million. The Panthers, on Stewart's current deal, can't even think about cutting him until 2016.

F you Marty. The team is spending a ton on the O thanks to shitty deals and yet the O is the major problem.
That's Albert Haynesworth scale incompetence, there. And for a damn RB? Could pick up a FA to do (reasonably near) the same thing for mil or two a year.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:06 AM   #44
BigSteven34
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 35360615
BigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to BigSteven34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
Cam Newton had a great soccer fake flop on the goal line.
Glad I'm not the only one that thought that!

Your boys have a good team with potential to be much better. No shame in losing to a good team. Here's to a good offseason and daft.
BigSteven34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #45
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 78700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Panthers could have tried to get Boldin last season but were too stupid.
we didn't have cap room.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #46
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

Probably time to start looking for a replacement for Steve Smith. He's getting up there in age. Not saying we get rid of him. Just saying we need to be thinking ahead. Need a RB, OL, and still need to try and make our secondary better. Not sure what we do with Hardy. I want to keep him. Tagging him might be the only way.

That said, what a surprising year for us. Hopefully we can keep building on it.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #47
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteven34 View Post
Glad I'm not the only one that thought that!

Your boys have a good team with potential to be much better. No shame in losing to a good team. Here's to a good offseason and daft.
I just don't get it. It was obvious what the call was, he didn't need to try and "fool" anyone. especially with a weak attempt like that!
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #48
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 7003000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
I just don't get it. It was obvious what the call was, he didn't need to try and "fool" anyone. especially with a weak attempt like that!
He was trying to get a personal foul called to get an automatic 1st down.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #49
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Cam wore these in pregame warmups yesterday. He opted for the Hello Kitty ones in the 2nd half.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #50
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockinraleigh View Post
Probably time to start looking for a replacement for Steve Smith. He's getting up there in age.
Couldn't disagree more. He's the one true WR the Panthers have and hasn't aged a bit.

Unfortunately Cam never looked his way in the 2nd half...which he's done quite a bit this season. We need someone to replace LaFell. And I think it's time we parted ways with both DeAngelo and Stewart...both huge disappointments this year.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #51
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
Couldn't disagree more. He's the one true WR the Panthers have and hasn't aged a bit.

Unfortunately Cam never looked his way in the 2nd half...which he's done quite a bit this season. We need someone to replace LaFell. And I think it's time we parted ways with both DeAngelo and Stewart...both huge disappointments this year.
Unfortunately we can't. We'd be paying them something like 5 mil a piece to NOT play for us. I don't think they're trade value is high with the insane contracts Hurney gave both of them. Hurney strikes again.

And I wasn't saying to get rid of Smith but we don't wanna get stuck holding the bag in 2 or 3 years when he decides to hang it up or his skills diminish him to a #2 WR.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #52
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:

The only reason I would be hesitant to get rid of Williams too is because I don't know who might be available that could be a true starting tailback. Is there someone who will be in the draft who I'm just not aware of or a free agent? But overall, our traditional running game was extremely underwhelming in the 2013 season, so I'm definitely open to the idea of getting some new legs back there, as long as those legs are up to the task.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 PM   #53
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

Quote:
Unfortunately we can't. We'd be paying them something like 5 mil a piece to NOT play for us. I don't think they're trade value is high with the insane contracts Hurney gave both of them. Hurney strikes again.

And I wasn't saying to get rid of Smith but we don't wanna get stuck holding the bag in 2 or 3 years when he decides to hang it up or his skills diminish him to a #2 WR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
The only reason I would be hesitant to get rid of Williams too is because I don't know who might be available that could be a true starting tailback. Is there someone who will be in the draft who I'm just not aware of or a free agent? But overall, our traditional running game was extremely underwhelming in the 2013 season, so I'm definitely open to the idea of getting some new legs back there, as long as those legs are up to the task.
We were 26th in the league in total offense. I know DeAngelo and Stewart both restructured their contracts this past year. So cap wise, we're okay. But I think DeAngelo is way over hyped and not worth a nickel. Stewart is the better back but can't stay healthy. Catch-22 I know. And you're right, we're going to feel the effects of Hurney for years to come. Maybe we can draft a RB later in the draft and get lucky. Personally I think Shula needs to be fired. He is clueless as an OC and it showed yesterday.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #54
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
We were 26th in the league in total offense. I know DeAngelo and Stewart both restructured their contracts this past year. So cap wise, we're okay. But I think DeAngelo is way over hyped and not worth a nickel. Stewart is the better back but can't stay healthy. Catch-22 I know. And you're right, we're going to feel the effects of Hurney for years to come. Maybe we can draft a RB later in the draft and get lucky. Personally I think Shula needs to be fired. He is clueless as an OC and it showed yesterday.
Stewart has been hurt for the better part of his career. I'll never understand why Hurney gave him the contract that he got. I really don't want them to move Tolbert but he may be the odd man out if we look for a late round RB.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #55
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

Quote:
I think Shula basically kept Chudzinski's system, so I' fine with his scheme, and I love the fact the verbiage is much simpler, but it's his decisions on plays that baffle me. It's like he doesn't have a good feel for the game. If we could keep the same system (including the actual calls) and just have someone who has a better feel for the game call the plays, I would be fine.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:42 PM   #56
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

Quote:
Stewart has been hurt for the better part of his career. I'll never understand why Hurney gave him the contract that he got. I really don't want them to move Tolbert but he may be the odd man out if we look for a late round RB.
Gosh I hope they don't get rid of Tolbert. The dude is all we got in the backfield. Stewart probably has some trade value, although it won't be much.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #57
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I think Shula basically kept Chudzinski's system, so I' fine with his scheme, and I love the fact the verbiage is much simpler, but it's his decisions on plays that baffle me. It's like he doesn't have a good feel for the game. If we could keep the same system (including the actual calls) and just have someone who has a better feel for the game call the plays, I would be fine.
Shula greater underutilized Cam's legs this year. I don't know if he told Cam to stay in the pocket and not run for fear of getting him hurt or what. But teams knew he wasn't going to run and could tee off on him like SF did yesterday.

I would love to see Shula replaced, but that's not going to happen. The only thing people look at is the W-L record. I think he's coaching in the Pro Bowl too.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #58
CaptainCock91
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 495
CaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot material

Shula Bingo, anyone?

Name:  OkyLIhA.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  92.9 KB
Old 01-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #59
( CAROLINA )
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
( CAROLINA ) has hatched from the shell

I think Benjamin will be available, Watkins, Lee, and Evans will most likely go ahead of him.
( CAROLINA ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #60
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 996351
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

I am beginning to think Cam Newton is not the best choice at QB for the Carolina Panthers. For the most part, he plays selfishly. Like a Kobe Bryant of the NFL.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote