CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Badazcock
b381l
Gamecockswag
cocksmith1or11
kingofnerf
NAGamecockFan
The Yancey
Travelin
conwaycock2
Freshman ND WR " (1144)
Good Riddance to bad (602)
The Comeback & T (528)
Bashing Players, coa (464)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (400)
Keeping tailgate foo (389)
ESPN Game Day Commen (294)
An A to Z of Noah We (277)
TeMarcus Blanton (250)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (247)
Simple "yes" or
TeMarcus Blanton
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Why I think we beat Aubur
Rest of the season predic
Battlefield 4
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Auburn game

Old 01-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #81
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
You really need to re-read that article, and you might drop some of that unwarranted bitterness.
Some people are determined to find something to hate on...

If someone was to hire Steve Spurrier away, we'd find people coming out the woodwork spewing hate towards the HBC. I think we still have a few that would rather have Mike Leach right now.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #82
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Some people are determined to find something to hate on...

If someone was to hire Steve Spurrier away, we'd find people coming out the woodwork spewing hate towards the HBC. I think we still have a few that would rather have Mike Leach right now.
Yeah, but when looking at it that way, you have to think in reality's terms. HBC isn't going anywhere, and this is his last coaching job. We all know that. Also, I have never understood why anyone wanted Mike Leach in the first place.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #83
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd803 View Post
I pay $165 a YEAR at my level. Am I missing something? Is $13.75 a month too much for people making less than $100K a year? If you want to compete with UF, UGA, Alabama, etc, you can't have half the revenue from ticket sales, but I have learned you can't tell that to people who were paying $50/year and getting 8 tickets in West Lower for face. If the team is so important to people, then why can't the people giving the most $$$ get the best tickets? The YES plan told everyone what their tickets were worth, and if they didn't want to pay what other would, and DID, they could move to other areas of the stadium.

For basketball - Marshall wanted way too much money. Simple as that. That is the reason he wasn't even considered when Martin was hired. There is no guarantee that we would be a yearly tournament team under him either. I agree he is a great coach, but USC is a very challenging job for MBB.
I'd settle for once every 3-5 years at this rate.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #84
Todd803
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 272
Todd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPitTodd803 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
I'd settle for once every 3-5 years at this rate.
Me too, but to be fair we have not won a tournament game in 40 YEARS. Can't really place all the blame on the last 2 coaches.
Todd803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #85
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star

CockyCash: 304
spurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntramp View Post
Heard that Marshall would never ever be hired here...from his reputation at Winthrop.
Yeah...that reputation got him all the way to a Final Four, and another shot this year. If this is true, then we will have a crappy basketball program forever. I think Hyman personally had a problem with Marshall, which is why I'm glad he is gone.

spurrierismyhomeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #86
Gamerooster
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 26386
Gamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot materialGamerooster is USC mascot material

Hyman did some good things that needed to be done but, I didn't agree with his attitude or tactics. Thank God the YES plan worked out. We sure needed that money to keep up with the rest of the SEC. I'm disappointed that anyone thinks he steered USC through an NCAA investigation as if he were the knight riding to the rescue. Although he did a very good job managing and cooperating with the NCAA investigators, the violations were his and his staff's direct responsibility. Had he done a better job managing his staff there would have been no violations except maybe for the Wes Saunders mess.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #87
henmania
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurrierismyhomeboy View Post
Yeah...that reputation got him all the way to a Final Four, and another shot this year. If this is true, then we will have a crappy basketball program forever. I think Hyman personally had a problem with Marshall, which is why I'm glad he is gone.
The Marshall issues stemmed not with Hyman but some very influential members of the BOT.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #88
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurrierismyhomeboy View Post
You really think we would have made the Final Four if Marshall was our coach?
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #89
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

I never said Hyman's decisions on the YES program, parking, ticket prices and Gamecock Club dues were wrong or not appropriate to get us to the next level. I suppose if you consider them in the context of the community, they can be justified. I only pointed out he was the type of AD that was able to make them, and apparently relished the opportunity perhaps. I was actually complimenting Hyman in a back handed, authentic kind of way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntramp View Post
Heard that Marshall would never ever be hired here...from his reputation at Winthrop.
I could not prove it, but suspect and have the opinion that Hyman may be behind this "reputation" allegation about Marshall. It does insulate Hyman to a degree from the poor decision not to seek to hire the more popular choice. He is exactly that good of a politician.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #90
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star

spurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spursspurrierismyhomeboy has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
You really think we would have made the Final Four if Marshall was our coach?
No, but he is a damn great coach who has had success everywhere he has gone. He has also gone on record in saying he is a USC football fan on numerous occasions. If we would have gotten rid of Odom a year earlier like we should have(warchest), he would be our head coach right now. I guarantee you our program would be in much better shape, and we would have an NCAA tournament win.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:34 PM   #91
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

I could not prove it, but suspect and have the opinion that Hyman may be behind this "reputation" allegation about Marshall. It does insulate Hyman to a degree from the poor decision not to seek to hire the more popular choice. He is exactly that good of a politician.[/quote]

I understand you don't like Hyman but he was not the source of any reputation allegation about Marshall. It went higher up than Hyman. Sorry if that doesn't fit your theory.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:04 AM   #92
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

I understand Hyman was also behind the Kennedy assassination, he once ran Area 51 and is solely responsible for Global Warming. He's an evil mastermind that even Chairface Chippendale is scared of.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:45 AM   #93
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
I understand Hyman was also behind the Kennedy assassination, he once ran Area 51 and is solely responsible for Global Warming. He's an evil mastermind that even Chairface Chippendale is scared of.
Hey, he approved Carolina Girls before the fourth quarter. That monster is capable of anything!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #94
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
I understand you don't like Hyman but he was not the source of any reputation allegation about Marshall. It went higher up than Hyman. Sorry if that doesn't fit your theory.
So your saying one of the BOD did Hyman a favor in some way and Hyman was not involved in it at all in any way whatsoever. Why do you discount the probability Hyman was involved? Neither of us really know anything. I don't believe you know enough about it to say one way or the other.

Shaq Attack
Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #95
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Also, I have never understood why anyone wanted Mike Leach in the first place.
They had a fetish with the "air raid" offense and were convinced Steve Spurrier's offense was outdated.

The thing that Steve Spurrier has proven is he is much more than just an OC or offensive guy...he has found a new groove with a solid group of asst. coaches and has a new comfort zone with recruiting and befriending those players and their families. I'm convinced he'll be lifelong friends with all of our players, including those that have moved on to the NFL.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #96
henmania
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
So your saying one of the BOD did Hyman a favor in some way and Hyman was not involved in it at all in any way whatsoever. Why do you discount the probability Hyman was involved? Neither of us really know anything. I don't believe you know enough about it to say one way or the other.

Actually I do. It is not speculation.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #97
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
My little comment about coaching. Right, because apparently coaching has no bar on anything that happens on the field.
I enjoy facilities as much as the next guy, but facilities don't win games, players and coaches do. Enjoy your fun fact of the day.
Damn, I bet all these schools spending hundreds of millions of dollars on facilities are kicking themselves in the azz. Wonder why Tanner wanted a new ball park? I've heard SOS repeatedly say the facilitity upgrades have made a huge difference in the type athletes he & his staff have been able to attract. Here's a hint, a fancy new baseball stadium, a student/athlete academic center, top of the line locker rooms, etc help attract better athletes who in turn give the school a better chance at success. Clemson had a student/athlete academic center for 20 yrs before we finally built one.

BTW don't ever look up our won/loss football record under the McGee era as it might possibly make you puke your lunch.

I'm thankful for what Hyman did here & maybe it was time for him to go. But he was definitely what we needed at USC at that time. Ray Tanner's timing couldn't be more perfect. He gets the benefit of the hard decisions made prior to his tenure without pissing the fans off. The perfect guy to smooth over what had to be done & move the ball forward. A win/win
conwaycock2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #98
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Hyman did lots of good things, but he is to blame why we are piss-poor in basketball.. He had 2 chances to get Marshall, and he didn't even consider him. Wichita State is currently 18-0 and #5 in the nation.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:05 AM   #99
spurrierismyhomeboy
4-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-Dub Gamecock View Post
Hyman did lots of good things, but he is to blame why we are piss-poor in basketball.. He had 2 chances to get Marshall, and he didn't even consider him. Wichita State is currently 18-0 and #5 in the nation.
Ding...Ding...Ding...we have a winner! This is the huge black mark on Hyman's time here in Columbia. Can't believe he gave that warchest bull-dung about Odom. Then he went with the cheap hire of Horn, which could set our basketball program back a decade.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #100
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
Actually I do. It is not speculation.
So if one of the BOD privately came to Hyman and expressed his reservation about hiring Marshall, you consider it impossible that Hyman would have put that BOD's interests above the Universities in his decision making, and that Hyman kept it private even from you as requested.

Again, the point is you really do not know all the factors that went into Hyman's incredibly bad decision to ignore the chance to hire Marshall.

Shaq Attack