CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
RGHoskins
Master Bedroom
taylorssc
gocockswyn
Outland
KaneisAble
uscgamecocks88
ColaCock
ReadR00ster
Fight, win, kick a-- (981)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (866)
CFN prediction for a (784)
Why I'm hopeful abou (568)
A simple defensive l (539)
What happened to thi (501)
The Gator Bowl wants (484)
USC will upset Aubur (426)
Ranking Top HC jobs (418)
This is War (399)
Name a Gamecock
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Five Upstate High School
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
Ranking the SEC Football
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Media tabs South Carolina
Texas athletic director:

Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #621
mick66
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Yea it doesn't look like Vandy is interested in Morris.

Rams OC, Colts OC, Stanford's DC, and Mich st.'s DC all seem to be above him
Interesting analysis on one of their sites. While Morris is still in the running, when they compared the two guys it made me realize why Mason is the frontrunner. Morris (in their opinion) brought little to the table other than initial fan excitement and potential to attract good recruits on that side of the ball. His personality was basically described as ...meh, and I'd guess that's a big part of why he never gets past the first interview.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #622
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
Interesting analysis on one of their sites. While Morris is still in the running, when they compared the two guys it made me realize why Mason is the frontrunner. Morris (in their opinion) brought little to the table other than initial fan excitement and potential to attract good recruits on that side of the ball. His personality was basically described as ...meh, and I'd guess that's a big part of why he never gets past the first interview.
This is the first time Morris was named at some point in the process as a front runner for a job by any insiders. I think this development, and the interview of Schottenheimer confirms what many have suspected: Morris is a bad interview.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #623
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

I thought Vandy had all but decided on Derek Mason. Is he out of the picture now? Because that's who my money was on.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #624
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Vandy defensive backs coach George Barlow is heading to NC State.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #625
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
I thought Vandy had all but decided on Derek Mason. Is he out of the picture now? Because that's who my money was on.
I don't think anyone has been excluded to this point, looks like they are making the rounds before they make a formal offer. Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like they are getting serious now:

Vanderbilt: According to 247 Sports, St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is interviewing today for the Vanderbilt head coaching job.

Vanderbilt: According to CBS' Bruce Feldman, Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton and Stanford defensive coordinator Derek Mason are expected to interview for the Vanderbilt head coaching job on Thursday.

Last edited by Travelin; 01-15-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #626
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Vanderbilt: According to CBS' Bruce Feldman, Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton and Stanford defensive coordinator Derek Mason are expected to interview for the Vanderbilt head coaching job on Thursday.
Are they hell-bent on getting a minority coach? Honest question.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #627
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Are they hell-bent on getting a minority coach? Honest question.
I've thought the same thing. However, aren't they required to interview so many minority coaches for these jobs?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #628
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

Quote:
I've thought the same thing. However, aren't they required to interview so many minority coaches for these jobs?
Don't want anyone to take that the wrong way, but neither of those guys should really warrant consideration IMO. Vandy needs an offensive minded coach, which would rule out Mason. And Hamilton has done a medicore job at best at Indy. Although Colts fans would love to see him go.

As much as I hate to say it, Morris should be the hire if they could get him.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #629
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Don't want anyone to take that the wrong way, but neither of those guys should really warrant consideration IMO. Vandy needs an offensive minded coach, which would rule out Mason. And Hamilton has done a medicore job at best at Indy. Although Colts fans would love to see him go.

As much as I hate to say it, Morris should be the hire if they could get him.
I don't follow your logic. Both Hamilton and Mason have coached and recruited at Stanford, which is similar to Vandy in stringent academic requirements. Hamilton coached some good offenses at Stanford and his offense at the Colts has not exactly been terrible. Simply having the experience coaching at the professional level is a plus. Then you've got Mason, who has coached some of the best defenses in the nation at Stanford.

How can you say that Morris deserves to be the hire, and those other two shouldn't even be considered? I'm totally lost as to what puts Morris on another level from those two guys.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #630
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Vikings are hiring Mike Zimmer as their HC, per league source.

Mississippi State: With the departure of Les Koenning, it will be interesting to see how Dan Mullen proceeds. Koenning was hired by Strong at Texas.

Eagles QB coach Bill Lazor has accepted the job of Dolphins OC,

Last edited by Travelin; 01-15-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #631
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I don't follow your logic. Both Hamilton and Mason have coached and recruited at Stanford, which is similar to Vandy in stringent academic requirements. Hamilton coached some good offenses at Stanford and his offense at the Colts has not exactly been terrible. Simply having the experience coaching at the professional level is a plus. Then you've got Mason, who has coached some of the best defenses in the nation at Stanford.

How can you say that Morris deserves to be the hire, and those other two shouldn't even be considered? I'm totally lost as to what puts Morris on another level from those two guys.
Vandy has won in the SEC by putting up points....the same was Cutcliff has won at Duke. So hiring a defensive minded coach like Mason would be a step back IMO. They need an offensive minded guy, which is why I said Morris.

Hamilton makes more sense, but let's be honest, he's not going to have an Andrew Luck at Vandy like he did at Stanford and now at Indy.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #632
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Why any NFL coach would leave to go to Vanderbilt is beyond me.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #633
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4Life View Post
I don't think Chad is leaving, it's been three days now and the chatter has died.
if Chad was legitimate HC material, he would have already been gone.....he's sort of a poor man's SOS as a play caller....

b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #634
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
The winner of the East could very well be a Nat. Title Contender.

Hutson Mason has yet to prove anything against equal or better competition.

I think mizzou and USC has a lot better chance of winning the East than Georgia does next year.
Missouri only returns 8 starters or something like that total.

I know Mauck is good, but I think they take a step back.

It's a Dawg/Cock battle next year unless the Gators can get their O in gear (which I doubt).

Will come down to if Mason or Thompson play better.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #635
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:
I don't think anyone has been excluded to this point, looks like they are making the rounds before they make a formal offer. Just my 2 cents.

Sounds like they are getting serious now:

Vanderbilt: According to 247 Sports, St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is interviewing today for the Vanderbilt head coaching job.

Read one of their boards, and one of the guys posted "Great, Schottenheimer can tell stories about how he coached Kellen Clemens and Mark Sanchez."
Another poster was upset because he thought it was Marty Schottenheimer that was being interviewed. haha
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #636
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
Read one of their boards, and one of the guys posted "Great, Schottenheimer can tell stories about how he coached Kellen Clemens and Mark Sanchez."
Another poster was upset because he thought it was Marty Schottenheimer that was being interviewed. haha
I just read that stuff. too. I was lol. They are approaching meltdown stage if they don't hire Morris or Mason. Seems like they all agree on one of those two. I think they are both still in play.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #637
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Alabama: ESPN's Alex Scarborough reports that Alabama defensive backs coach Greg Brown is expected to step down, which will allow director of player personnel Kevin Steele to move on the field.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #638
Travelin
Household Name

Male

On a side note:

Ryan Wood ‏@rwood_SC 7m Agent Joel Turner told me former #Gamecocks QB Connor Shaw is having a "superb day" at NFLPA Collegiate Bowl practice. He's very pleased.

---------------------------------

Tennessee Titans: Jim Wyatt of The Tennesseean reports defensive coordinator Jerry Gray and quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone will not be retained, and senior defensive assistant Gregg Williams is not expected to be retained. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton is Ken Whisenhunt's top choice to run the Tennessee defense.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #639
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Six Vanderbilt football assistants now in official Penn State directory

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop 2h At Vandy I continue to hear that David Williams is very impressed w Derek Mason but also hearing Chad Morris has good shot too.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #640
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Six Vanderbilt football assistants now in official Penn State directory

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop 2h At Vandy I continue to hear that David Williams is very impressed w Derek Mason but also hearing Chad Morris has good shot too.
Seems like Morris won't get the job. They keep his name in there to pretend that they're interested because that's what the fans want, but everyone else is getting reports of interviews except Morris. Seems like he's the back up plan at best.