CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
catdaddy66
Thenardier
G&B
b381l
spareparts
sporkgod50
GoldenSpur7
ReadR00ster
Cockypantherfan
usc1
Sunday college footb (511)
Ole Miss Projected R (510)
Early Pre-Season wom (498)
So who was the dude (488)
Kentucky Inmate Star (462)
Acock reviews the SE (457)
Get the SEC Network (433)
Tennessee hires Donn (426)
2001 vs Sandstorm (324)
Does anyone have a l (255)
2015 - Nyheim Hines
Name a Gamecock
2001 vs Sandstorm
Ole Miss Projected RT Sta
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Softball tops Georgia Sou
Does anyone have a link t
**USC vs. Davidson GAME T
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
SEC Network "Take It

Old 01-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default FBI Special Agent Connor Shaw

I am nearing the completion of a novel I am writing, "Larkl and the Remnant Clan" and this adventure includes an FBI agent named Connor Shaw (purely coincidental, you know).

The book is a hi-tech adventure novel with a very fast pace. Simultaneous story lines occur in the mountains of Kenya, the Amazon rain forest, the Olympic National Park, Victoria, Canada and Washington, D.C.

The story involves Osprey V-TOL craft, the U.S. Marines, AWACS, Karelian bear dogs, a cougar attack, Sikorsky Skycranes, FLIR and night thermal vision systems, a clan of Gigantopithecines... you know, the works.

For the FBI operative, I tried to think of several names, but only one was a perfect fit.

This agent is a solid citizen, fearless, compassionate, sharp as a tack...

He's going to take down a serial killer who is a former National Geographic photographer -- that uses poison blow darts to kill his victims. The killer is the first person to ever get an authentic high resolution close-up of a Gigantopithecus (sasquatch).

Special Agent Shaw's action will take place primarily in Washington, D.C., but he may end up in the Olympic National Park in Washington state as well.

Being one of the protagonists in the story, the Agent Shaw character may play an indirect role in saving a group of four hikers from Canada in the Olympic Park (they are a special group of deaf girl scouts that are held hostage by the serial killer).

Over time, Shaw may move from the FBI to working for EIDER (Environmental Intelligence Department of Emergency Response) for the state of Washington. EIDER is a super-secret, highly funded Washington State agency run by former Navy Seals.

When finished, the book will be a hardback of about 1,000 pages. 85% done and closing in on the finish line.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by Garnet Gamecock; 01-15-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Garnet Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Re: FBI Special Agent Connor Shaw

Oh you're writing the novel? I thought you were reading it.

Are you into fantasy novels?
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #3
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

SPOILER ALERTS GALORE

lol sounds like a good read

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Oh you're writing the novel? I thought you were reading it.

Are you into fantasy novels?
Not necessarily.

This novel follows the writing patterns of Clive Cussler, James Patterson and Steven Saylor.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Cuss View Post
SPOILER ALERTS GALORE

lol sounds like a good read
That's the tough part -- trying to share a little info without giving it all away.

This novel includes shrunken heads, voodoo... the Mapinguari of South America (I'll let you look that one up).

I am probably going to create some significant tie-ins to USC and/or the Palmetto state, too.

(If not in this first edition, then in the sequel)

Last edited by Garnet Gamecock; 01-15-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Garnet Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

That's awesome, is this your first? Sounds like you have a publisher lined up already? Let us know when it's out, this is one of the genres I love to read for fun.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
That's awesome, is this your first? Sounds like you have a publisher lined up already? Let us know when it's out, this is one of the genres I love to read for fun.
I wrote a business book about Motivation years ago (no longer in print) called, "Motivation Levitation" and then was working for several years on a crime novel about ancient Rome entitled, "The Shadow of Vesuvius". Kept getting writer's block on that one.

Then I worked part time doing some industrial screenwriting for corporate videos, etc. That went pretty well.

Last year, around the first of January, I started this book, which has taken off. It's a straightforward book about several key characters, including a teenage Gigantopithecus, but this is not science fiction. The science tends to be solid science based on evidence that I've pulled together over the years.

My pen name is Andrew Thornberry and this book is intended as the first installment in a complete series called "The Amazing World of Andrew Thornberry".

This book is book one of "The EIDER Chronicles".

I haven't approached a literary agent or publisher yet, mainly because my full-time job as Senior Program Advisor for American College of Education keeps me quite busy.

I was also planning on writing the screenplay, but now I know I will publish the book first.

Hope to have the finished draft ready for publishers by the summer.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Here is a synopsis of some of the action or key elements (trying not to give it all away):

1) Kayakers attacked by orcas (freak accident; orcas are not normally aggressive toward humans -- indirect tribute to Dawn Brancheau at USC with a positive message about nature)

2) Mountain lion attack during a blizzard (the mountain lion was starving to death -- I explain why in the book; again, a positive message about nature)

3) Interaction between a wolverine and a Gigantopithecus (Originally in China; believed to have died out 20,000 years ago; nearly ten foot tall hominoid which now has a remnant population surviving in the Pacific Northwest, aka Sasquatch)

4) National Geographic expedition to the Amazon to photograph the Mapinguari (cryptid most likely to be a remnant Giant Ground Sloth)

5) Special group of Canadian Girl Scouts ("Girl Guides" is what the Canucks call them) who are all totally deaf -- they go on a survival trek in the Olympic National Park of Washington state.

6) Young Kenyan girl who saves her little brother from an attack by a black mamba.

7) Shrunken head and voodoo dolls sent as a warning from a serial killer.

8) Marine Corps extraction team using Ospreys (vertical take-off and landing) for a combination rescue/search and destroy mission.

9) Rare arctic supercell which meteorologists name Rasputin. Has all the traits of a tropical hurricane, but much more deadly and totally unpredictable.

10) Karelian bear dogs for search and rescue, black footed ferret, wolverine, australian shepherd, cougar, golden eagle, bald eagle, three-toed sloth

11) First tissue sample from a real Gigantopithecus

12) World famous athlete and his supermodel wife (who is a top designer) -- these are real people that you might recognize
Old 01-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Forgot to mention that this book of mine is about values and character.

There is some swearing in it, but not too much. The novel is written from a Christian perspective without being "preachy". I intend for this to market through the mainstream and not just Christian publishers.

The characters pray a lot, the way Christians do when they are in trouble or when they give thanks. I don't take it over the top, but I portray what goes on in Christian homes when families and individuals have their backs against the wall.

Also, there is a particular scene where angelic intervention takes place. Again, I tried to be consistent with what the Bible says, so the angels don't have wings and they seem remarkably similar to humans.

Anyway, their intervention occurs during a Christmas festival in Montreal and nearly one hundred ice skaters fall into the freezing water. The angels are there to protect the children.

What happens during that episode may take your breath away (at least, I hope so)
Old 01-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Old 01-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Yes, I'm serious.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #12
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Who is going to read a 1000 page book? I'd cut that by about 750 pages
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
Who is going to read a 1000 page book? I'd cut that by about 750 pages
I take it you never read Harry Potter or Michener, and yes, by the time it's edited it will be much shorter, I am sure. I'll let the editors determine the length -- that's what they're paid for. If they want to carve it into four separate books, I'm fine with that.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #14
palmettosc
Recruit

Male

palmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudlypalmettosc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
You think you've seen it all, and then someone writes fan fiction about the QB...
palmettosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #15
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Sounds like an Indiana Jones type novel.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #16
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbgamecock View Post
Sounds like an Indiana Jones type novel.
Somewhat. In fact, that's a fairly decent comparison.

That's why I anticipate writing a screenplay on the final version (but later).
Old 01-15-2014, 04:29 PM   #17
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

If you want your book taken seriously, I would 1. not name the protagonist after your favorite real life football player and 2. take out the religious stuff.

Also, maybe consider not making the girl scouts deaf... Why are they deaf? Why is there an entire troupe of deaf girl scouts walking around?
Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #18
GotCocky
Walk On

Male

GotCocky has hatched from the shell

I was actually intrigued until you got to the part about all the praying. Replace the praying scenes with sex scenes and you gotcha a best seller imo. It does all kinda sound like a bad acid trip tho. Maybe that can be the twist at the end (no credit needed if you decide to go that direction) Oh and... MOAR SQUATCH!!!
GotCocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #19
spareparts
Insulted Other Member(s)

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotCocky View Post
I was actually intrigued until you got to the part about all the praying. Replace the praying scenes with sex scenes and you gotcha a best seller imo. It does all kinda sound like a bad acid trip tho. Maybe that can be the twist at the end (no credit needed if you decide to go that direction) Oh and... MOAR SQUATCH!!!
This was your first post?

Five months after signing up?

Odd
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:07 PM   #20
USCfootball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 106666
USCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
If you want your book taken seriously, I would 1. not name the protagonist after your favorite real life football player and 2. take out the religious stuff.

Also, maybe consider not making the girl scouts deaf... Why are they deaf? Why is there an entire troupe of deaf girl scouts walking around?

This! Also, there needs to be some killing and gold stolen in South America tied in.
USCfootball is offline   Reply With Quote