CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStillOwnUSC
18IsTheMan
GarnetSwarm1990
robgusc76
eightohhthree
highstick
ccured
TheUSCMike
GSC2013
behindenemylines
Tood Gurley: My hats (4847)
"It just hurts, (3538)
Brandon Wilds (3141)
#24 to ? (2779)
Shout out to JT Surr (2409)
Don't underestimate (1780)
The Refs (1514)
AP Poll (1320)
Spurrier's newest vi (1164)
The CBS Sports Inter (1079)
"It just hurts, man!
ESPN is mad that USC beat
sources for bittorrent do
Worse 1st and goal play:
A tribute to the "th
AP Poll
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
2015 - Darius Slayton
Shon Carson
A UGA fans view of the ga

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:19 PM   #101
gocockswyn
Starter

Female

CockyCash: 500
gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly
Default Re: Clowney's 1st big purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05USCGrad View Post
Should have invested in beanie babies
Or Holliday Barbie
Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #102
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
Stupid
exactly....i hope he has seen that ESPN 30 for 30 about going broke b/c its an eye opener
Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 PM   #103
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
which of those players have made it into retirement as finnancially secure individuals? not saying they wont be but the examples that you choose are all still actively earning money in the league so we have no idea if they are being responsible with their money or not.
I'm just point out that no one seems to care about any of those guys going broke, but all of a sudden we talk Clowney and every Gamecock fan and their mothers is in fear of him going broke...
Old 01-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #104
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 600
cocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
You mad? Jealous? What?
I think it's stupid too.... He should have saved up for a Bugatti Veyron

ďOf course, itís a bit of a jump, isnít it? I mean, erÖ chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go. You donít think it might be better if you worked your way towards lion taming, say via banking or insurance?"
Old 01-16-2014, 01:48 AM   #105
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

CockyCash: 800
eaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocked & Locked View Post
Dumbest thing I have ever heard. A car is the worst investment ever unless its going to be a limited special edition. A financial advisor, or investor, or personal broker should be the second person he hires after his agent.

Plenty of good advisors out there, plenty of bad ones. But to say they all suck is just ignorant.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #106
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

CockyCash: 800
eaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Your money, assuming you believe it to be Dollars, isn't real either. It is completely a fiat currency. At least bitcoin has limits on the numbers that can be manufactured.

Nothing personal. I have a finance degree from Carolina. You need to diversify your risk. Finance 101. Don't put all your eggs into Wall Street. That is what financial advisors tell you to do. That is stupid.

That said, as distasteful and arguable immoral as it is, you probably should put some savings into stocks of super large institutions like Monsanto, Con Agra, etc., and federal government bonds. Those companies and the government are going to be taken care of when another 2008 comes along in the next decade or so. Also, farm land is the best hedge against inflation. Better than gold.

OTH, if you're getting financial advice from anonymous posters on Cockytalk, you are probably not making a real good decision. Do your own research. Don't trust financial advisors who will tell you to go 100 percent into the Wall Street system.
Again you make a blanket statement which is not true. "Stock brokers" tell you to put all your eggs in Wall Street, not legitimate Financial Advisors. By legitimate, I mean those with proper education and certifications. Anyone can call themselves an advisor, but that doesn't mean they are one.

In fact, anyone with a CFP (Certified Financial Planner) designation is expressly FORBIDDEN from telling a client to go 100% in stocks.

By telling people to avoid financial advisors who could very much benefit from a good, "qualified" one is just as reckless as telling someone to go 100% into stocks. So please stop doing that. Many ex-players are doing quite well in retirement with the money they made playing because they had a GOOD advisor who taught them to save, diversify and grow their wealth in a smart manner.

Another TRUE point to ponder, Elvis Presley's estate was reduced by 73% due to poor financial planning. Don't you think Priscilla wishes they had used a good advisor? How much do you think the average Joe knows about trusts and estate taxes? Financial planners have a vital role to consumers who are uneducated on financial matters, they are not all liars and thieves.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:07 AM   #107
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGAMECOCK View Post
anywhere from $177,000 to $300,000 if i can remember correctly.
Thanks for the info. BlueHerons says you can lease them for 700/month....you can't lease a 40,000 car for 700/month.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:15 AM   #108
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Wow I didn't think everybody would be such big idiots in this thread.

If you were in for a huge payday I guarantee you'd buy not only a new car, but a nice one.

Personally I'd have gone with one of the new Corvettes, an Aston Martin Vanquish or if I was feeling like a real boss the Pagani Huyarah
Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #109
jtm12180
Walk On

Male

jtm12180 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfreek88 View Post
exactly....i hope he has seen that ESPN 30 for 30 about going broke b/c its an eye opener
EXACTLY!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #110
wumarshall82
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

wumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot material

Did he really purchase it? Someone said it was a joke or something?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #111
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

If I were in his position, the very first thing I would buy is a nice house.

Nothing anywhere close to a mansion, but a nice 4 bedroom, 3 bath house.

Followed by a F-150.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:33 AM   #112
wumarshall82
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

wumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot materialwumarshall82 is USC mascot material

He best save up because the way the NFL is going, he'll be paying for trips for his teammates that he won't be going on.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #113
wumarshall82
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1986 View Post
If I were in his position, the very first thing I would buy is a nice house.

Nothing anywhere close to a mansion, but a nice 4 bedroom, 3 bath house.

Followed by a F-150.

Buy a bad ass lake house on Lake Wylie for 1-2 million and lease everywhere else you play. I would pay the extra for having it furnished too so I didn't have to move all of my stuff if I was traded, ect..
Old 01-16-2014, 08:39 AM   #114
Indiana Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1250
Indiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his combIndiana Gamecock is developing his comb

A Bentley to him is like a normal person buying a used Honda Accord right out of college.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #115
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

So were just going to forget the part about him not really buying the car. Only show boating a stock image of a Bentley?
Old 01-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #116
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

SpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterFriendly View Post
Breaking News: JD Clowney spotted buying a single crunchy beef taco from Taco Bell.

I just wish he would be a little more cautious with his money.
Let's hope JD went for the all beef taco as the chicken is extra ...
Old 01-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #117
Jethro Beaver
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 355
Jethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPitJethro Beaver rules the CockPit

He should invest in Sea-Monkeys.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #118
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

SpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spurs

Index funds, a few bond funds, some CD's (not the music variety), two lawyers and two financial advisers (one lawyer watching the other; one financial adviser watching the other). JD doesn't have to be as savvy as Jamal Mashburn to make his NFL money last a lifetime, but a few conservative financial moves early on would protect his future.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #119
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

For those of you arguing about financial advisors, I wanted to chime in. There are of course good ones and bad ones, just like in any profession. As a Claimants' lawyer who sues brokers and broker-dealers for a living I've seen plenty of both. A few tips for Clowney or anyone else looking to hire one (and for the record I absolutely do think you should have a financial planner):
  • Do your due diligence. Make sure you know that broker's history by searching his record on the Broker-dealer database available to the public at http://brokercheck.finra.org/Search/Search.aspx. You should also ask your broker about his education, experience, training, etc.
  • Make sure you know how he gets paid. This is where they can burn you if you get a less than honest broker. If you know how much he gets paid for any given deal, it's easier to understand their motivation in handling your accounts. If he gets paid an annual fee, shop around and see if that fee is consistent with industry norms. If he gets paid commissions, understand that different products have different commission rates, so you need to know what he's getting paid every single time he makes a recommendation for you to buy an investment (extra bonus, if you ask him about his fees every single time, he's less likely to try to do something underhanded with you).
  • Make sure you are getting a balanced presentation of the upside and the risks of the investment the broker is pushing. Don't settle for the usual "all investments have risk" line. Get detailed so you can make an informed decision. And if he can't explain the risks or how the product works, then he probably doesn't understand it well enough to sell it to you.
  • Understand what all those initials after your broker's name actually mean. There are a lot of different "certifications" a broker can get that might make him sound like an expert. Some mean more than others and some mean very little at all. Also, know that just about every financial advisor in the country is a "vice president" and it means nothing. That's the same title most broker-dealers give to the 22 year old kid they just hired straight out of college to be an entry level broker.
  • Understand who your broker works for. A lot of brokers might act like they own their own business, but very few actually do. All brokers must be licensed under the supervision of a FINRA-registered broker dealer or with a Registered Investment Advisory Firm. There are differences in these 2 types of organizations, but my point is that your broker is actually employed by or an independent contractor of a larger firm out there. Know who they are and don't be misled into giving your broker too much credit as an independent guy when he calls his business "John Smith Wealth Management." That's usually just a doing-business-as name.
  • Always read the investment prospectus. I know they are long and hard to understand. But blind faith in your broker is just dumb. Try to understand what you're putting your hard earned money in.
  • Try to educate yourself on a few investment basics like diversification and understanding the basic different types of investment products that are out there available to you. It's important to understand that you have options other than the handful your broker puts in front of you.

This is not meant to be legal advice. Just some common sense tips for picking an advisor and protecting your assets from the bad brokers that are out there. If you get a good one that is candid with you in answering all these questions and who is competent at managing your finances, you'll be in better shape.

Last edited by GarnetInChicago; 01-16-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #120
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro Beaver View Post
He should invest in Sea-Monkeys.
Breaking news: Clowney bought a Schweeb

Quote:
Schweeb Ė Yes, itís called schweeb
First off I cannot, in good conscience, write any further about this particular silly Clowney investment without noting what a terrible, terrible name Schweeb is. Schweeb could be curing childrenís cancer and Iíd still be thinking of the moronic frat boy who thinks that that sounds cool.

Regardless, Clowney invested $1 million in Schweeb, a human powered monorail thatís as silly as it sounds. You get in a clear plastic pod thatís slung under a rail and you pedal along. Sounds cool for about 30 seconds. Silly, silly, silly.

Note.........Poster may have exchanged the word Google for the word Clowney in the post above.