CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
markymark550
Captain9Dragons
BlackMagic84
doubledribble
Fight, win, kick a-- (1324)
The Gator Bowl wants (962)
Why I'm hopeful abou (941)
CFN prediction for a (917)
USC will upset Aubur (786)
A simple defensive l (766)
What happened to thi (696)
In-state QB talent (552)
This is War (399)
SEC Debate: Best can (340)
Texas athletic director:
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Why I think we beat Aubur
In-state QB talent
A simple defensive line &
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Thoughts on the basketbal
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Cann tipping plays?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #661
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material
Default Re: Coaching Carousel

Am I the only one who really wants Schottenheimer to Vandy? How fun would it be for Spurrier to go up against a former player of his?
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #662
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
I mean in the picture and interested doesn't exactly scream first choice though. Also, they clearly say which coaches are being interviewed, but I've yet to see a report that said Morris interviewed on xyz day. I feel fairly confident that at this point that Morris won't get the job. Looks like he's a back-up if the other candidates fall through.
I've seen a lot of speculation that he has interviewed, but nothing concrete.

Not so sure he's out of the picture, but it sounds like Mason is the front runner...

AD David Williams is keeping the search close to the vest.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #663
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Posted by: Pete Roussel on Thursday January 16, 2014

Vanderbilt: According to 247 Sports, Stanford defensive coordinator Derek Mason is the name to beat for the Vandy head coaching job, but Chad Morris is gaining support, and a decision could come as early as Friday.

--------------------

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop 11m Sounds like @bartonsimmons is hearing same as we updated yesterday…Chad Morris or Derek Mason likely to get Vandy. As reported, by end of wk

Last edited by Travelin; 01-16-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #664
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

^ Hope it's Mason since they'll go back to being the Vandy of old.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #665
mick66
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post
^ Hope it's Mason since they'll go back to being the Vandy of old.
My guess is that they'll go back to being 6-6 or 5-7 under either guy, but having Morris leave will make Clemson a bit weaker for the next few years, so I'll pull for him to get the job.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #666
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Posted by: Pete Roussel on Thursday January 16, 2014

Vanderbilt: According to 247 Sports, Stanford defensive coordinator Derek Mason is the name to beat for the Vandy head coaching job, but Chad Morris is gaining support, and a decision could come as early as Friday.

--------------------

FootballScoop Staff ‏@footballscoop 11m Sounds like @bartonsimmons is hearing same as we updated yesterday…Chad Morris or Derek Mason likely to get Vandy. As reported, by end of wk

Sounds like mason isn't sure he wants the job and Morris is gaining steam because mason is so unsure.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #667
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Sportstalk reported tonight that Morris wanted the Texas OC job bad and was pissed that Clemson wouldn't accept Texas' offer. Maybe he's determined to leave now.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #668
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClawman View Post
Sportstalk reported tonight that Morris wanted the Texas OC job bad and was pissed that Clemson wouldn't accept Texas' offer. Maybe he's determined to leave now.
That would make sense. They probably tried to shave off a million or two from his buy-out and they wouldn't allow it.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #669
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClawman View Post
Sounds like that info the TX insiders were reporting last week was dead on. Strong wanted Morris and Morris wanted that job in the worst way, but whether it was Patterson, BOT, boosters or whoever, they couldn't get consensus to pony up the entire buyout.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #670
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Head To Head ‏@HeadtoHeadRadio 10m RT @sbterry247: Sources tell @247Sports that Derek Mason will soon be named #Vanderbilt head coach.

Sources tell @247Sports that Derek Mason was the first choice of Williams and the committee.

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe 2m Stanford DC Derek Mason is the overwhelming favorite at Vandy and could be named today
Old 01-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #671
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 17972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Morris is staying. I've had the feeling all along this would happen.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #672
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
Sounds like that info the TX insiders were reporting last week was dead on. Strong wanted Morris and Morris wanted that job in the worst way, but whether it was Patterson, BOT, boosters or whoever, they couldn't get consensus to pony up the entire buyout.
It sounds like they made an offer and Clemson wouldn't budge on the buy-out.

Think that might cause some animosity between him, Dabo and the Pickens Co. admin? If true, I do.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #673
GamecockGuardsman
Two Deep

Male

GamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPit

Quote:

Think that might cause some animosity between him, Dabo and the Pickens Co. admin? If true, I do.
I'm sure that Texas could have pony up the money for the buyout but I doubt they wanted to do that since they had to buyout Strong's contract. Most programs would be a little flexible on the buyout but how it sounds, Clemson did not budge. If it does cause some animosity, then I don't blame Morris for taking the first plane out of Pickens Country when he does get an offer.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #674
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Looks like Mason may not have been the first choice after all...

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 1m #vandy offered Pep Hamilton its HC job & had a private plane set to get him & his family this am but he passed to stay Colts OC, per sources
Old 01-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #675
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockGuardsman View Post
I'm sure that Texas could have pony up the money for the buyout but I doubt they wanted to do that since they had to buyout Strong's contract. Most programs would be a little flexible on the buyout but how it sounds, Clemson did not budge. If it does cause some animosity, then I don't blame Morris for taking the first plane out of Pickens Country when he does get an offer.
I hate Clemson, but I can totally understand their position. He agreed to a contract with the buyout clause. Then, a year later (if he's actually mad at Clemson) he's going to get all whiny because Clemson won't reduce the buyout for him to do exactly what everyone agreed the buyout was designed to prevent?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #676
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:

So per the Texas Insiders:

1. Strong wanted Morris as OC, and Morris wanted to go.
2. Texas offered a reduced buyout and Clempson declined it.
3. Morris now may have reason to want to leave Clempson as soon as he can.

If all of those things are true, then I would expect Morris' name to come up for the UAB job which is still vacant. It is a step up from Arkansas State, but not quite BCS level. They can likely pay his current salary if they really wanted to, as they had a very incentive laden plan for the previous coach. I haven't heard Morris' name come up at all for this job, so if it does all of a sudden it could mean his agent is doing the shopping for the reason listed above.

As it is, I think Morris is staying another year. I hoped he would move on and leave Dabo holding the bag of a rebuild to show his real ineptitude, but now they will probably win 8-9 games in the regular season with 3 that they would've lost without Morris.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #677
GamecockGuardsman
Two Deep

Male

GamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPitGamecockGuardsman rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
I hate Clemson, but I can totally understand their position. He agreed to a contract with the buyout clause. Then, a year later (if he's actually mad at Clemson) he's going to get all whiny because Clemson won't reduce the buyout for him to do exactly what everyone agreed the buyout was designed to prevent?
I can understand that also. Its called "honoring your contract" and it is something that is lacking in all of sports. I'm just shooting a dart in the dark here, but the only thing that I can figure he can be whiny about is not being able to go back to his home state and coach.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #678
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
So per the Texas Insiders:

1. Strong wanted Morris as OC, and Morris wanted to go.
2. Texas offered a reduced buyout and Clempson declined it.
3. Morris now may have reason to want to leave Clempson as soon as he can.

If all of those things are true, then I would expect Morris' name to come up for the UAB job which is still vacant. It is a step up from Arkansas State, but not quite BCS level. They can likely pay his current salary if they really wanted to, as they had a very incentive laden plan for the previous coach. I haven't heard Morris' name come up at all for this job, so if it does all of a sudden it could mean his agent is doing the shopping for the reason listed above.

As it is, I think Morris is staying another year. I hoped he would move on and leave Dabo holding the bag of a rebuild to show his real ineptitude, but now they will probably win 8-9 games in the regular season with 3 that they would've lost without Morris.
If it's good enough for Jim Grobe, it should be good enough for Morris.

UAB: Jim Grobe will interview for the head job at UAB per AL.com.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #679
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

UAB is a terrible job.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #680
GamecockGuardsman
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
UAB is a terrible job.

I have to agree with this.