CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
JerseyBird
bcolinc
The Yancey
kingofnerf
Regalcock
Latti
Travelin
B-G
gamecockgal
2014 Subway Classic: (1610)
Former Gamecock root (928)
Props to Eric Hyman. (799)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Franks boy's are pla (683)
Four USC Basketball (598)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (392)
Bowl packages (353)
Chance of my lifetim (224)
Kentucky is dominati (216)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10"
2015 Commitment - Zack Ba
Former Gamecock rooting f
Kentucky is dominating UC
Decommitment from Texas A
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Franks boy's are playing

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #14101
bcolinc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly
Default Re: 2014 - Damian Prince

Six Stars must be Spurrier??? Lol

Anybody have a feeling that BAW is gonna get these boys together and dream big this weekend? I look for them ALL to sign with Carolina.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:48 AM   #14102
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
He may have spoken, but what does it mean exactly? Not sure what a lemon smoking a cigar is supposed to communicate.
In the past, he has been very accurate predicting players that commit to us. Is he 100%, no, but most of us have no reason to doubt his opinion. He doesn't post often and he's not often wrong.

Last edited by b381l; 01-17-2014 at 03:05 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:04 AM   #14103
b381l
Banned

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

"I leave on Friday with my uncle. Everything is still good with South Carolina," said the 6-foot-5, 292-pound Prince. "I talk to coach Elliott, coach Mangus and coach Spurrier all the time. Things are going well. I'm just happy to be able to go down there and see everything for myself.

Rodgers and Prince have friends for a while and grew up not too far from each other.

"He has been telling me that it's different from home and there is a different atmosphere," Prince said. "It's definitely a football town and the people there really like the football players. He also said the coaching staff is great and they really care about you. We've talked about how it compares to home."

I'm really trying to figure out how I fit in," he said. "The biggest factors for me are how I fit in and if I fit in. It's a little different being in the south than it is being in the north. I just want to make sure I feel comfortable there. There isn't really anything specific that will tell me that. It's just a vibe I'll get when I'm there."

I knew Jalen's switch was coming," said Prince. "It definitely plays a factor for me. I'd be lying if I said it didn't. My best friend going to a school I'm considering is going to help. I will say that we are picking schools based on different factors. We both do want to play early but his coaching staff situation is different than mine at Florida. Jalen's choice will play a small factor in my decision. It just needs to be the right decision for me."

Excerpts from a Rivals article 1-16-14.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:10 AM   #14104
b381l
Banned

Male

Default Re: When Players Plan to Commit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtWarlick View Post
I just don't see Wesley or Damien silenting committing
I don't think Green will either. Maybe Prince and Wideman.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:15 AM   #14105
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 - Darrius Caldwell

It's a conditional offer. If his grades are right, he's good.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:45 AM   #14106
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

One thing that stuck out to me recently on the Prince situation is the uf 247 article that came out today about the florida numbers crunch. They have to sign all the players they want in the fall by NSD, so they have to plan for the 85, well to limit attrition/processing/non-qualifing players. With that said, a couple weeks ago Prince pushed up his announcement date from Feb 14 to NSD and says his Final 3 are florida, maryland and SC and he said he did that his finalist had a class that was filling up and he needed to commit to them by NSD.

I have no idea where Prince is going. I like USC's chances, I think with a great OV this weekend we'll put ourselves in a great position. We'll have to overcome the hometown feel of Univ of maryland for him, and the gators will put on a good show with their new OL Coach Sheman. Hopefully Prince comes here, we are going to need 2 new starting OT's in '15, and he could get a shot at playing time right away.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
Old 01-17-2014, 04:39 AM   #14107
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I'm just repeating the comments of Chris Clark and Tony Morrell. His grades were not good this fall. If he doesn't do any better in the spring, he will not qualify. The coaches want him to understand that and they also want assurances from him that he will work harder this spring to make sure he qualifies. If he can't or won't say that, then he has no offer. Deke will visit him next week to have that conversation. It is 11:00PM Thursday night, neither TBS or GCC is showing Caldwell as a commit.
Being that football season is over with, that should give him a better opportunity to focus on his academics.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:00 AM   #14108
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
He IS a commit. But he is not going on the official list of commitments right now until some other things happen. You can be a verbal commitment without having and offer. It doesn't do you any good but you can do it.
he's not a committ until he has a committable offer which he currently does not have

Old 01-17-2014, 06:30 AM   #14109
donbgamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
donbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot materialdonbgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
One thing that stuck out to me recently on the Prince situation is the uf 247 article that came out today about the florida numbers crunch. They have to sign all the players they want in the fall by NSD, so they have to plan for the 85, well to limit attrition/processing/non-qualifing players. With that said, a couple weeks ago Prince pushed up his announcement date from Feb 14 to NSD and says his Final 3 are florida, maryland and SC and he said he did that his finalist had a class that was filling up and he needed to commit to them by NSD.

I have no idea where Prince is going. I like USC's chances, I think with a great OV this weekend we'll put ourselves in a great position. We'll have to overcome the hometown feel of Univ of maryland for him, and the gators will put on a good show with their new OL Coach Sheman. Hopefully Prince comes here, we are going to need 2 new starting OT's in '15, and he could get a shot at playing time right away.
First off, the Rivals excerp tells me that this is a very thoughtful and articulate young man. That in itself is a great reason to want him at our Univerisity of South Carolina.

I don't read much into the numbers crunch thing. Come NSD, which univerity doesn't have a a constraint due to the 85 limitation. Hell, ours is even more constraining at this time due to the lower limit. MD may be the most flexible school when it comes down to that factor.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #14110
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Nevermind. I believe he will be here when its said and done, and I don't have a problem calling him a commit even if its conditional on his grades. Have a nice day.

Last edited by trapper82; 01-17-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #14111
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

1. The Tabor flip is more important than I assumed. I never knew they considered themselves "best friends."

2. He is aware of the differences in the coaching staff, which is helpful. Florida will try to negate that, but he seems smart enough to realize that a change like they had can equal problems.

3. Confirmed what we all knew, all hangs on this weekends visit. If he has a good visit and feels at home, we may have a steal.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #14112
CockTail
Starter

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

I know our coaching staff will point this out, but Florida's coaching staff may be gone before he ever steps on the field. Ours, on the other hand is going nowhere.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #14113
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

He has a good frame for a D1 DE, but his stats weren't overly impressive this season. It could have been the system his team ran or player rotation though, IDK, I just saw some highlights, not complete games of him. Jhaustin Thomas killed it statistically on the field this year and earned JUCO 1st Team All American.

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/fball/...s?view=gamelog

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
Old 01-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #14114
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 - Derrell Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by i29gman View Post
Eric, Thanks for the update about Scott.
No problem,

Here is another one, not much new.

Quote:
Tennessee's other coaches were very busy Thursday as well as Robert Gillespie was in North Carolina to see Derrell Scott.

Right now, Tennessee has the momentum with Scott heading down the stretch but it won't be over until the in-home visits. Tennessee will receive one before South Carolina, at least that's the plan right now.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds as some believe Scott's family would like him to stay closer to home, but Tennessee's depth chart is much more inciting and Gillespie has done a very good job of building that relationship.

All that to say while Tennessee is in good shape right now, it doesn't looked to be finished.
VQ
Old 01-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #14115
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
No problem,

Here is another one, not much new.

VQ
Obviously you are just providing information so I am not saying YOU are doing the talking, but the idea of the Vols depth chart being more enticing is a load of rubbish. They are obviously selling that, but it is true only if you stand on your head and squint while funneling vodka.

The fact is Scott is the ONLY back we are taking in this class, and we just had a RB transfer. We have Davis, Wilds and Williams (perhaps Carson, perhaps not) right now and Davis could leave for the NFL after next season. Any "tandem" plan they are pushing would be true for all teams, no one has workhorse backs who take 90% of snaps anymore. Everyone would use him as a compliment to a power rusher as well.

On top of all of that, we have proven that we find ways to get talented guys on the field, and Scott need to look no further than Pharoah Cooper who he knows well to prove it. So which team is more likely to find a way to put him on the field effectively?
Old 01-17-2014, 10:18 AM   #14116
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Obviously you are just providing information so I am not saying YOU are doing the talking, but the idea of the Vols depth chart being more enticing is a load of rubbish. They are obviously selling that, but it is true only if you stand on your head and squint while funneling vodka.

The fact is Scott is the ONLY back we are taking in this class, and we just had a RB transfer. We have Davis, Wilds and Williams (perhaps Carson, perhaps not) right now and Davis could leave for the NFL after next season. Any "tandem" plan they are pushing would be true for all teams, no one has workhorse backs who take 90% of snaps anymore. Everyone would use him as a compliment to a power rusher as well.

On top of all of that, we have proven that we find ways to get talented guys on the field, and Scott need to look no further than Pharoah Cooper who he knows well to prove it. So which team is more likely to find a way to put him on the field effectively?

I think you can look at it two ways.

Which depth chart looks better for him as a true freshman, but which one could look better for him as a So/Jr.

I think TN's does look much better for him day one.

But if he is just patient, SC's would likely be better for him his 3rd year in school.

So then it just comes down to if he is willing to be patient or is he willing to always being at best the second back but have a good shot at getting quality playing time day one.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #14117
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Also I could see our coaches playing on the "well we aren't 100% sure that Jalen Hurd will be a RB" BS that is spewed in the media. Even though everyone around campus has said there is 0% chance he changes positions and that he has looked every bit like a RB in drills, the national perception is that there is no way he will be able to stay a RB because he is so big.

So maybe our coaches are using that to their advantages here and telling Scott there is a shot Hurd doesn't stay at RB?

I don't like that tactic because it could cause a player to be angry later down the road, but maybe they are? Purely speculation on my part.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #14118
davisd9
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 375
davisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudlydavisd9 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
I think you can look at it two ways.

Which depth chart looks better for him as a true freshman, but which one could look better for him as a So/Jr.

I think TN's does look much better for him day one.

But if he is just patient, SC's would likely be better for him his 3rd year in school.

So then it just comes down to if he is willing to be patient or is he willing to always being at best the second back but have a good shot at getting quality playing time day one.

I do not think he will ever be more than a tempo changer at an SEC school. That is not a knock on him but his size just will not allow him to be a featured, every down type back. He will be used in space. Hopefully no one is selling him BS just to get his signature. The kid needs to know where he stands in a teams offense, whether it will be a feature back or change of pace guy, and let him make the decision that he thinks is best for him.

Thanks for the information.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #14119
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
I do not think he will ever be more than a tempo changer at an SEC school. That is not a knock on him but his size just will not allow him to be a featured, every down type back. He will be used in space. Hopefully no one is selling him BS just to get his signature. The kid needs to know where he stands in a teams offense, whether it will be a feature back or change of pace guy, and let him make the decision that he thinks is best for him.

Thanks for the information.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #14120
Tailfeathers
Starter

CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

I don't believe Scott will be a Gamecock or he would've committed already.

I think Gillespie's long term relationship and mixed signals sent at some point have compromised our "insurmountable" lead.

Good news for us is we don't seem to have trouble finding good RBs.