CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
RGHoskins
Master Bedroom
Kaka
gadeneer1986
donbgamecock
Emery
A. Pilgrim
taylorssc
Fight, win, kick a-- (1571)
The Gator Bowl wants (1306)
Why I'm hopeful abou (1234)
USC will upset Aubur (954)
A simple defensive l (891)
In-state QB talent (821)
Texas athletic direc (536)
Which loss hurt wors (472)
SEC Debate: Best can (427)
This is War (399)
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
BA ranks recruiting class
SEC Debate: Best candidat
In-state QB talent
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Madrid vs Barca
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Roll call for Auburn

Old 01-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #101
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Hyman propoganda. McGee certainly upgraded the facilities. He pulled the trigger and got rid of Brad Scott, who was hired by McGee's predescessor not McGee. After Scott, McGee hired Lou Holtz. He also hired Ray Tanner away from NC State. McGee upgraded the facilities, but he did not have as much money as came rolling in through loans and the SEC affiliation as Hyman. Hyman should get credit for upgrading the facilities. But that would have happened anyway IMO.

The thing I don't like about Hyman is his arrogant attitude. The first thing he did when he came in was to trash McGee and Brad Edwards. I never have liked people who think they need to trash their predescessor to make themselves look good. Now, as he has been gone for over two years, here he is trying to take credit for South Carolina's success. Arrogance. Arrogance.

He did not play one down. He did not hire one a great coach at any revenue sport. The jury is still out on Frank Martin. Let's hope at least that part of Hyman's legacy works out.

I forgot about his decision to reject Greg Marshall. I still do not understand how he chose to pass him up.

Oh yeah. It was also his incompetence that got the football team NCAA sanctions due to his misinterpretation of the NCAA rules.

Where are you getting this stuff? Quite frankly I quit reading this post after that sentence (bold) because nothing else posted was credible. Mike McGee both fired Sparky Woods & hired Brad Scott. He let Scott stay & completely run the football program so far into the ground that a HOF Coach went 0-11 following this disaster.

Did a good thing & brought in Holtz. Holtz turns things around & decides he's ready to retire. McGee talks a man who has admitted he's had enough into staying. From that point forward things went back downhill.

He made a good hire in Tanner, made a good hire in Spurrier. He made a good hire with Fogler & then totally botched it up with unrealistic expectations about where we were as a BB program.
conwaycock2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #102
USC-Hokie
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 700
USC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his combUSC-Hokie is developing his comb

It's insane if you don't appreciate what Hyman did for our program. We are relevant in all sports but basketball at the moment. You can say that it was all McGee but Hyman had to give everyone the support and confidence to get us to this point. You can't fault him for hiring Horn. Horn was a hot prospect at that time. Everyone says Gregg Marshall is strange and that turned Hyman off. That's fine, he went with his gut. Every once in a while you miss the boat on a hire. He missed it and then hired another hot commodity in Frank Martin. If Frank Martin fails that won't be his fault. Every hire he has made has been based their current resume. You can never predict what they will do at their next stop.

Also, this vendetta against Garcia....COME ON! Garcia did everything to himself.

I for one am a bit nervous with Tanner at the helm. I can't thank him enough for what he has done as the baseball coach, and he will raise money, but Hyman was a CEO in the way he thought whereas Tanner doesn't have the same business experience. I hope more than anything I am wrong and that he is successful in the position, but I am admittedly nervous.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #103
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

There are some folks that never forgave Hyman for graduating from UNCCH. If those folks could just at least admit to it.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #104
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Eh, we wouldn't be 18-0 and number 5 in the nation if we had Marshall.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #105
dabigtymer864
The Sophomore Sensation

Male

CockyCash: 1662
dabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to dabigtymer864

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Exactly. For a fan base that loves to talk about the strength of a conference all of the time, why doesn't anyone mention that Marshall coaches in the Missouri Valley Conference?
dabigtymer864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #106
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Again, the point is you really do not know all the factors that went into Hyman's incredibly bad decision to ignore the chance to hire Marshall.
Henmania seems to have somewhat of an inside scoop on what was going on.

You, on the other hand, don't.

Your pathological hate for Hyman runs pretty deep, yet you can't even keep straight who hired which coaches in the past.

So to sum it up, you hate Hyman because he didn't hire Marshall (which may have been a blessing in the long run). You hate Hyman because Garcia insisted on acting like Bluto instead of being a leader. You hate his wife (for some reason), even though she had nothing to do with Garcia acting like an idiot. And you hate Hyman because he made financial decisions to get us in the SEC arms race, pissing off some farty old geezers with an unrealistic sense of entitlement.

We're better off as a program than we were the second he stepped on campus. That's how I measure the guy. Tanner has big shoes to fill, and the best way for him to keep from screwing up is by doing exactly what he's doing...following Hyman's plan.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:47 PM   #107
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigtymer864 View Post
Exactly. For a fan base that loves to talk about the strength of a conference all of the time, why doesn't anyone mention that Marshall coaches in the Missouri Valley Conference?
And the SEC ain't even that strong among power conferences.
Probably one of the weaker ones, but yea, that Wichita State team he inherited had a lot more talent and was on a better track than us.

Sure Horn did not help, but I don't believe be would have brought us to where Wichita is now
Old 01-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #108
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

All I am going to say is this, for those of you worried about Ray and will he do a good job, the man has a great deal more business sense, knowledge, and experience than y'all give him credit for.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #109
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
you have no way to know that.....what kind of admission standards to they have compared to us.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #110
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
you have no way to know that.....what kind of admission standards to they have compared to us.
It's the number 2 college sport. If you're good enough they'll let you in school.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #111
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
Henmania seems to have somewhat of an inside scoop on what was going on.

You, on the other hand, don't.

Your pathological hate for Hyman runs pretty deep, yet you can't even keep straight who hired which coaches in the past.

So to sum it up, you hate Hyman because he didn't hire Marshall (which may have been a blessing in the long run). You hate Hyman because Garcia insisted on acting like Bluto instead of being a leader. You hate his wife (for some reason), even though she had nothing to do with Garcia acting like an idiot. And you hate Hyman because he made financial decisions to get us in the SEC arms race, pissing off some farty old geezers with an unrealistic sense of entitlement.

We're better off as a program than we were the second he stepped on campus. That's how I measure the guy. Tanner has big shoes to fill, and the best way for him to keep from screwing up is by doing exactly what he's doing...following Hyman's plan.
I don't hate Hyman. I just don't buy his b*llsh*t.

I also certainly do not believe he deserves much of the credit for our current football progress as he took credit for in the State article about him.

Personally, I believe most of that credit goes to our players, Spurrier, the coaching staff, and the fans. IMO, Hyman deserves no more credit than McGee. Both did an acceptable job at the helm, and both made mistakes along the way. We can agree to disagree about whose mistakes were bigger.

I have not said anything about Hyman's handling of the Garcia matter. However, he did botch that from a public relations standpoint imo.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #112
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
So to sum it up,

1. you hate Hyman because he didn't hire Marshall (which may have been a blessing in the long run).

2. You hate Hyman because Garcia insisted on acting like Bluto instead of being a leader.

3. You hate his wife (for some reason), even though she had nothing to do with Garcia acting like an idiot.

4. And you hate Hyman because he made financial decisions to get us in the SEC arms race, pissing off some farty old geezers with an unrealistic sense of entitlement.
This...and it goes for 90% of those who have decided to join the www.I_Hate_Eric_Hyman.com bandwagon. This is Clembarrasing....
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #113
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

conwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot materialconwaycock2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I don't hate Hyman. I just don't buy his b*llsh*t.

I also certainly do not believe he deserves much of the credit for our current football progress as he took credit for in the State article about him.

Personally, I believe most of that credit goes to our players, Spurrier, the coaching staff, and the fans. IMO, Hyman deserves no more credit than McGee. Both did an acceptable job at the helm, and both made mistakes along the way. We can agree to disagree about whose mistakes were bigger.

I have not said anything about Hyman's handling of the Garcia matter. However, he did botch that from a public relations standpoint imo.

Buy his b*llsh*t?
That's pretty damn funny considering you posted that McGee didn't hire Scott & only cleaned up somebody else's mess. So either you're the one b*llsh*ting or you're just grossly misinformed.
Which is it?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #114
86 GradCock
7 Year Plan

Male

CockyCash: 1450
86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly

Hyman used his business acumen to seize the opportunities presented to increase revenue. However, he did not create these opportunities. Spurrier should receive credit for that. Eric Hyman was merely in the right place at the right time. He should be credited with doing his job well during his tenure, but to say he "saved SC and made it great" is a gross overstatement. Steve Spurrier deserves that credit.
86 GradCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #115
Carolina Pride
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talons

If you can't see the difference in our athletics programs before Hyman v after Hyman, then I don't know what I can say to you to open your eyes...
Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #116
mpilot0705
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 498700
mpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705

Quote:
And the SEC ain't even that strong among power conferences.
Probably one of the weaker ones, but yea, that Wichita State team he inherited had a lot more talent and was on a better track than us.

Sure Horn did not help, but I don't believe be would have brought us to where Wichita is now

Not gonna get into the whole Marshall thing but the statement that he inherited a talented team is simply untrue. When he got there they lost something like their top 5-6 players and his best recruit died before getting on campus. He had a terrible team his first year and built them up from there. I think anyone that doesn't believe he would have done a better job than Horn is kidding themselves or in denial...There is absolutely no way he would have let our program turn into a dumpster fire like Horn did.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #117
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 GradCock View Post
Hyman used his business acumen to seize the opportunities presented to increase revenue. However, he did not create these opportunities. Spurrier should receive credit for that. Eric Hyman was merely in the right place at the right time. He should be credited with doing his job well during his tenure, but to say he "saved SC and made it great" is a gross overstatement. Steve Spurrier deserves that credit.
This is a very good point. No way EH is able to raise that kind of money if we don't have SOS.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #118
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Pride View Post
If you can't see the difference in our athletics programs before Hyman v after Hyman, then I don't know what I can say to you to open your eyes...
The turnaround began when we hired Holtz IMO. That was under Dr. McGee's watch.

But even if you think the timing was different, why is Hyman the one who deserves the credit and not the players, SOS, or the current coaching staff?

I admit that I made a mistake about McGee not hiring Brad Scott. At the time, it looked like a good hire. He did manage to lead us to the first bowl win in history. In hindsight, BS lacked the ability to be a head coach.

However, Dr. McGee more than made up for that mistake by hiring Lou Holtz and then SOS. Remind me again what Hyman did regarding the Gamecock coaching staff?

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #119
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpilot0705 View Post
Not gonna get into the whole Marshall thing but the statement that he inherited a talented team is simply untrue. When he got there they lost something like their top 5-6 players and his best recruit died before getting on campus. He had a terrible team his first year and built them up from there. I think anyone that doesn't believe he would have done a better job than Horn is kidding themselves or in denial...There is absolutely no way he would have let our program turn into a dumpster fire like Horn did.
I wasn't saying he wouldn't.

I believe he definitely would have been better than Horn.
I just don't believe we would have been in the final four and currently #5 in the nation.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #120
conwaycock2
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 GradCock View Post
Certainly is a gross overstatement, problem is, Hyman didn't say that. So your beef should be with the OP. As for him not creating opportunities for more revenue, was there some law in place that kept USC near the bottom of the food chain in ticket prices, a law prohibiting what other SEC had been doing for years (seat fees, etc), before he took over?

I didn't particularly care for the man on a personal basis but he did a fantastic job here. Before he upgraded facilities & got projects on the board (Dodie, etc) even Spurrier was floundering here. Ask SOS, he's said it multiple times.

Ever wonder why HOF coach Lou Holtz was only modestly successful here? USC sent him to a gunfight with a knife. When USC brought athletes in on official visits the coaches were embarrassed to even pretend we had an academic facility. What we had was described by one coach as a "hallway".
Another coach said she would not take athletes to her office at the Roundhouse because the ceiling was partially falling it.

That's what our coaches were working with. The results many of them had are not surprising.