CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Roosterdog
F4rpoole
Thenardier
Spurticus
Jeff45ACP
johnnyb
The Yancey
ReadR00ster
brat
qcgamecock
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1325)
Byron the bunny...fe (559)
The #AskEmmert Q& (462)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
Shameless self promo (320)
One thing I was glad (181)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (173)
Peach Bowl name retu (169)
Construction of Worl (108)
Save Electricity By (102)
What is your perfect egg?
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Kelcy and Vic questioned
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
Amazon Fire TV
Where will we be preseaso
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
2014 Gamecock Football Po

Old 01-17-2014, 11:51 AM   #121
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Eric Hyman Saved South Carolina and Made it Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaycock2 View Post
Certainly is a gross overstatement, problem is, Hyman didn't say that. So your beef should be with the OP. As for him not creating opportunities for more revenue, was there some law in place that kept USC near the bottom of the food chain in ticket prices, a law prohibiting what other SEC had been doing for years (seat fees, etc), before he took over?

I didn't particularly care for the man on a personal basis but he did a fantastic job here. Before he upgraded facilities & got projects on the board (Dodie, etc) even Spurrier was floundering here. Ask SOS, he's said it multiple times.

Ever wonder why HOF coach Lou Holtz was only modestly successful here? USC sent him to a gunfight with a knife. When USC brought athletes in on official visits the coaches were embarrassed to even pretend we had an academic facility. What we had was described by one coach as a "hallway".
Another coach said she would not take athletes to her office at the Roundhouse because the ceiling was partially falling it.

That's what our coaches were working with. The results they had are not surprising.
I think he was paraphrasing this:

Quote:
He had his critics, as all leaders do. But Hyman recognized that USC wanted to be a player in the SEC, and that the old way of operating wasn’t going to accomplish that.

“The two things I was so sick and tired of hearing, was the defeatist attitude of ‘Wait til next year,’ and ‘the Chicken Curse,’ ” Hyman said. “Whatever you think you can be, you can be. One of the greatest things was burying those two expressions.”
And the other ridiculous quotes by Hyman in the article linked by the OP . . . i.e., me.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #122
Carolina Pride
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
The turnaround began when we hired Holtz IMO. That was under Dr. McGee's watch.

But even if you think the timing was different, why is Hyman the one who deserves the credit and not the players, SOS, or the current coaching staff?

I admit that I made a mistake about McGee not hiring Brad Scott. At the time, it looked like a good hire. He did manage to lead us to the first bowl win in history. In hindsight, BS lacked the ability to be a head coach.

However, Dr. McGee more than made up for that mistake by hiring Lou Holtz and then SOS. Remind me again what Hyman did regarding the Gamecock coaching staff?
We didn't start getting consistent classes of high caliber players until facilities upgrades started kicking in. We were stuck in 1990 for a long time in terms of facilities and are still behind in some aspects. Whether you want to admit it or not Hyman was a huge factor in these upgrades in particular the Dodie, and the implementation of the YES program which brought us out of the stone age of college football. Coaches make a difference on the field, but you still have to be able to get talented players in order to compete. It doesn't matter who the coach is, you are not gonna get those players if they had come in and seen what we used to have and then gone to UGa, Flordia, Bama, etc. and seen what they have there. It is night and day difference in our athletics facilities pre Hyman and post Hyman
Old 01-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #123
86 GradCock
7 Year Plan

Male

CockyCash: 1450
86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly

Originally Posted by conwaycock2
Certainly is a gross overstatement, problem is, Hyman didn't say that. So your beef should be with the OP. As for him not creating opportunities for more revenue, was there some law in place that kept USC near the bottom of the food chain in ticket prices, a law prohibiting what other SEC had been doing for years (seat fees, etc), before he took over?

You're right, Hyman didn't say that. The article and the timing reek of propaganda. Just another attempt by The State to stir the pot at USC. They know Hyman was a polarizing figure here and any article about him creates a buzz.

After reading the article, it is clear the OP's thread title is sarcasm. It certainly did it's job of creating a thread 7 pages long and going strong. My statement regarding Hyman was directed at those posters who are buying into the hype and giving Hyman way more credit than he deserves.
86 GradCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #124
conwaycock2
Blue Chip

Male

conwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudly

Quote:
The turnaround began when we hired Holtz IMO. That was under Dr. McGee's watch.

But even if you think the timing was different, why is Hyman the one who deserves the credit and not the players, SOS, or the current coaching staff?

I admit that I made a mistake about McGee not hiring Brad Scott. At the time, it looked like a good hire. He did manage to lead us to the first bowl win in history. In hindsight, BS lacked the ability to be a head coach.

However, Dr. McGee more than made up for that mistake by hiring Lou Holtz and then SOS. Remind me again what Hyman did regarding the Gamecock coaching staff?
Got it. So now that you've figured out that McGee did in-fact hire Scott, "at the time it looked like a good hire".

I appreciate Lou Holtz coming here as much as anybody. He certainly didn't have to in order to cement his legacy. But the unfortunate facts are that Lou's record over his last 3 yrs was 16-19. Is that the turnaround you're referring to? Spurrier was 35-28 in his first 5 yrs here.

These are two of the best coaches in the history of the game. We were sorely lacking things needed for success. Hyman put a plan in motion to provide those resources. The coaches, players, support staff & AD (current & past) deserve credit for where we are now.
conwaycock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #125
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

I think people dislike him because he went to UNC

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #126
markp_vip
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
I think people dislike him because he went to UNC
It's starting to look more and more like he made the right call by snubbing his Alma Mater a few years back when they were in the market for a new AD. I wonder if he had an idea that they had been up to no good?
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #127
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

So now the reason to hate Hyman is because he didn't believe in the chicken curse or "wait till next year"?

As for what he did to help the program despite not making the HC hires he did put measures in place to work with getting multi-year contracts and really started the ball rolling on rebuilding relationships with former players. Under McGee former players were never welcomed back to anything including visits or using facilities. It's a wonderful recruiting tool when a kid just happens to run into a former player during their weight room tour.

I still believe 99% of this is due to him dismissing the "warrior".
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #128
conwaycock2
Blue Chip

Male

conwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudlyconwaycock2 is crowing loudly

Classic straw man argument. Don't like the man because of YES, Garcia, you name it. So you try to create the illusion that fans, or the man himself, have said he deserves ALL the credit. Nobody is crediting Hyman 100% for all the successes (at least that I'm aware of) & Hyman himself hasn't taken all the credit.

Even SOS doesn't deserve all the credit & he'd be the first to say so....and does. An entity the size of USC requires many people working in the same direction to achieve success. Only a fool believes otherwise.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #129
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
. Hyman put a plan in motion to provide those resources. The coaches, players, support staff & AD (current & past) deserve credit for where we are now.
Absolutely! It was and still is a group thing and Eric was just the AD that made decisions on the obvious. But the single biggest factor is the influx of ESPN money and how Eric chose to spend it. The choices may have been obvious, but it was Eric who made the decisions to push the agenda and I will always feel Eric and Steve Spurrier worked together on bringing what was needed here to fuel our current success.
Could Ray Tanner have done the same? Mike McGee? Maybe...but it was Eric at the helm when this happened over the past 5-6 years I give him credit for doing his part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
I still believe 99% of this is due to him dismissing the "warrior".
Yup. Oh I'm convinced there is still latent animosity to anyone remotely connected to that, and if #5 had of had the kind of career here that #14 just finished, some of the animosity towards #14 would not exist be it public or private.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #130
dabigtymer864
The Sophomore Sensation

Male

CockyCash: 1662
dabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot materialdabigtymer864 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to dabigtymer864

Quote:
I think he was paraphrasing this:

And the other ridiculous quotes by Hyman in the article linked by the OP . . . i.e., me.
You should read that last sentence more carefully... He said one of THE greatest things was burying those expressions. Not one of MY greatest things or MY greatest achievements.

Stop the hating and be happy the University of South Carolina has a nationally relevant football program and an athletic department that is finally on par with other nationally relevant institutions. While does not and won't get all of the credit, he definitely deserves his fair share of credit.
dabigtymer864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #131
uscnoklahoma
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 400
uscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPit

Kind of like deer hunting.........its all in being in the right place at the right time.

This space has been censored
uscnoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #132
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Got it. So now that you've figured out that McGee did in-fact hire Scott, "at the time it looked like a good hire".

I appreciate Lou Holtz coming here as much as anybody. He certainly didn't have to in order to cement his legacy. But the unfortunate facts are that Lou's record over his last 3 yrs was 16-19. Is that the turnaround you're referring to? Spurrier was 35-28 in his first 5 yrs here.

These are two of the best coaches in the history of the game. We were sorely lacking things needed for success. Hyman put a plan in motion to provide those resources. The coaches, players, support staff & AD (current & past) deserve credit for where we are now.
Ok. Our prospects and facilities have steadily risen since we joined the SEC. If we were sorely lacking things needed for success then how do you explain the success under Joe Morrison and Jim Carlen.

I think a lot of the Hyman apologists have bought into his false claims that the Athletic Department was in shambles when he came on board. In fact, Dr. McGee did an excellent job and had taken steps to improve facilities during his tenure. We were not standing still or degrading during those years. There was progress being made.

I know that Hyman when he was hired took great efforts to totally trash the previous administration, and drug Brad Edwards through the mud quite effectively.

I did not believe his b*llshyte then and I do not believe it today.

That said, he was able to implement some changes in the ticket policies, etc., that were tough calls and which involved shafting some of the long time boosters who had special deals due to life time agreements. Hyman was able to decide to breach those agreements, and to change things around so people with money got the best seats in exchange for big donations. That is the way business is done now in the SEC, so I am not saying Hyman was wrong to make those calls. I just am not fully enamored with the morality of the choices he made, but in a northeastern lawyer type way, it is hard to second guess the rationality of them.

Shaq Attack
Old 01-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #133
Carolina Pride
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Ok. Our prospects and facilities have steadily risen since we joined the SEC. If we were sorely lacking things needed for success then how do you explain the success under Joe Morrison and Jim Carlen.

I think a lot of the Hyman apologists have bought into his false claims that the Athletic Department was in shambles when he came on board. In fact, Dr. McGee did an excellent job and had taken steps to improve facilities during his tenure. We were not standing still or degrading during those years. There was progress being made.

I know that Hyman when he was hired took great efforts to totally trash the previous administration, and drug Brad Edwards through the mud quite effectively.

That said, he was able to implement some changes in the ticket policies, etc., that were tough calls and which involved shafting some of the long time boosters who had special deals due to life time agreements. Hyman was able to decide to breach those agreements, and to change things around so people with money got the best seats in exchange for big donations. That is the way business is done now in the SEC, so I am not saying Hyman was wrong to make those calls. I just am not fully enamored with the morality of the choices he made, but in a northeastern lawyer type way, it is hard to second guess the rationality of them.
so you were one of the ones that was donating $100 a year for a long time and sitting on the 50 yard line and got kicked out of your seats? That the issue?
Old 01-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #134
ATL2001
Walk On

Male

ATL2001 has hatched from the shell

Speaking of ADs. Was King Dixon in the Marines?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=4505,3444225
ATL2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #135
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4259
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Pride View Post
so you were one of the ones that was donating $100 a year for a long time and sitting on the 50 yard line and got kicked out of your seats? That the issue?

These are the same people who consistently showed their loyalty and showed up for games when we were 0-21. I'm not a big Hyman fan and didn't care for him before the Garcia thing. I think it was the influx of SEC money that started our rise. No doubt the added money from tickets and donations helped as well, but to think you get ahead by stepping on the people that put you where you are is more in line with the current American business ethic today than what college athletics should be. I'm glad we're winning now and I can be more proud of my university, and he does deserve a lot of credit for the improvements, but I still think Hyman is a dick!
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #136
35-21
Tons-A-Fun

Male

CockyCash: 200
35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly35-21 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
These are the same people who consistently showed their loyalty and showed up for games when we were 0-21. I'm not a big Hyman fan and didn't care for him before the Garcia thing. I think it was the influx of SEC money that started our rise. No doubt the added money from tickets and donations helped as well, but to think you get ahead by stepping on the people that put you where you are is more in line with the current American business ethic today than what college athletics should be. I'm glad we're winning now and I can be more proud of my university, and he does deserve a lot of credit for the improvements, but I still think Hyman is a dick!
You can call me immature, and you would be right, but this made me giggle.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #137
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
How long were we receiving SEC money before we started the rise? We had been receiving SEC money for years prior to 0-21. In order to be competitive facilities-wise we needed more, to be more in line with other members of the SEC. We were playing catch-up. I'm glad those people were that loyal...I was a student during those times. I'd rather be cheering for a winning team in person a couple of games than be there for all L's. No fan of USC would say otherwise I'm sure. Also, if someone can't pay for something, is that the fault of the merchant or the customer? No one was "stepping on people that put you were you are". That's ridiculous.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #138
thekob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:

Please show me where he "totally trashed the previous administration and drug Brad Edwards through the mud quite effectively". I have seen no articles supporting that.
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #139
conwaycock2
Blue Chip

Male

Our prospects and facilities have steadily risen since we joined the SEC. If we were sorely lacking things needed for success then how do you explain the success under Joe Morrison and Jim Carlen.

First, when Joe Morrison & Jim Carlen were here we were not playing in the SEC. Firing Carlen imo was stupid, disagreed with it then, disagree with it now. Carlen had a decent team in 1975, good team in 79 & 80. Was fired after 1981. That's it...1 decent season & 2 good ones in 7 seasons.

Joe came in and had a great season in 1984, a very good season in 1987. 1988 kind of fell apart with massive beat downs by GT, cu, FSU etc. For arguments sake we'll call it decent.

The Richard Bell season in between we'll disregard.

So between 1975 - 1988 USC had 1 great season, 3 good seasons & 2 decent seasons. There's not much for me or anybody else to explain. We had good coaches & still couldn't consistently win.

Our football program absolutely stunk during the McGee era since from post #1 you wanted him in the conversation. That's not an opinion, that's just a plain fact. The numbers don't lie. Here they are in all their glory....60-76-1. The tickets were cheap & the product on the field was overall bad. That's not ok with most fans, apparently you feel different.

One more thing 3-9 vs Clemson under McGee. Yep those were the good ole days.

Last edited by conwaycock2; 01-17-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #140
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
Please show me where he "totally trashed the previous administration and drug Brad Edwards through the mud quite effectively". I have seen no articles supporting that.
Hyman made statements that were quoted in the State and the Greenville News. I have a friend who is close to Brad Edwards so I remember the situation very clearly. If you would like to find the articles, if you go to the Columbia library and look through the State newspaper around July and August 2005.

No, I was not one of the donors whose agreements were changed. Why does someone have to have been adversly affected to believe Hyman's decision was of a harsh nature?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
How long were we receiving SEC money before we started the rise? We had been receiving SEC money for years prior to 0-21. In order to be competitive facilities-wise we needed more, to be more in line with other members of the SEC. We were playing catch-up. I'm glad those people were that loyal...I was a student during those times. I'd rather be cheering for a winning team in person a couple of games than be there for all L's. No fan of USC would say otherwise I'm sure. Also, if someone can't pay for something, is that the fault of the merchant or the customer? No one was "stepping on people that put you were you are". That's ridiculous.
I don't think the 1-10 and 0-11 seasons were largely attributable to the AD status. That situation was as a direct result of Brad Scott's meltdown. Do you not remember his deer-in-the-headlights post game press conferences, his tearful promises, and the ketchup advertisements. The man was a good OC and offensive line coach, but he lost control of the team. Remember he had A1 as QB and played him as a backup, and his players were laughing and joking around on the sideline at home while UT beat the crap out of us and hung half a hundred on us. Nope, that was Brad Scott by and large.

It is a convenient timing that Hyman came in after Lou started us back on the path to being a solid program, and Dr. McGee hired SOS to take us to the promised land.

Incidentally, if you would like to see an example of what a good AD you need look no further than what Ray did with Spurrier's new contract. The idea that we could have Spurrier fund raising for us after he retires is a huge coup. The Florida AD just took a kick in the gut by Ray. Do you seriously believe that Spurrier would have signed such an agreement with a dickhead like Hyman?

Shaq Attack