CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spurticus
Gamecocks1137
B-G
The Yancey
robgusc76
SMOTFS86
kingoftheroost
CockFighter
Big Spur
Sandstorm29
Connor to be backup? (1038)
aTm demolishes Kyle (1032)
Cocky at the Duck Co (985)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (417)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (244)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (203)
Greatest Gamecock Pl (187)
Gotta get Agent 0 go (178)
Miami Beach Bowl Thr (176)
How would a man writ (158)
Greatest Gamecock Players
Connor to be backup?
The Vent and Coaching cha
2016 - Brandon McIlwain
Carolina ranked #21 prese
Greatest Gamecock Players
Miami Beach Bowl Thread
My early Monday dinner .
Cocky at the Duck Command
QB Next Season?

Old 01-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #681
A. Pilgrim
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
A. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot materialA. Pilgrim is USC mascot material
Default Re: Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
UAB is a terrible job.
Yep.

Makes no sense for Morris to 'settle' for that job when he could hold out one more year (if necessary) and get a much better job. He's an up-and-comer, whereas Grobe is in the twilight of his career.
A. Pilgrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #682
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
UAB is a terrible job.
That's the point, IF he is ticked off that they didn't let him leave then almost any HC job that doesn't pay him less money will be on the docket. I wouldn't expect his name to come up here at all, my point was if it does then many all the Texas insider information is true.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #683
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

Quote:
UAB is a terrible job.

Thats what they used to say about Kansas State,and Baylor.....and South Carolina.The right guy can win.
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #684
ccured
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4058916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano Cook View Post
Thats what they used to say about Kansas State,and Baylor.....and South Carolina.The right guy can win.
All 3 schools you named are in power conferences and uab is not even in the conversation
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #685
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

No, the right guy can't win.

The UAB BOT is the same BOT as 'Bama. Any time the UAB program starts to show life they squash it like a bug.

Think about it, given it's location shouldn't that school at LEAST be as successful as Southern Miss?

Why isn't it?
Old 01-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #686
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Florida State: CBS' Bruce Feldman tweets that Mississippi State defensive coordinator Geoff Collins is a "strong candidate" for the FSU defensive coordinator job.

Pittsburgh Steelers: CBS' Jason La Canfora reports former Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Munchak is expected to interview for the Steelers offensive line job.

It's Official:Chris Smith ‏@ChrisSmithVU247 5m Official news! #Vanderbilt has hired Stanford Dir. of Def Derek Mason as their new head football coach
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:39 PM   #687
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

It will be interesting to see what kind of staff Mason will put together. As far as I know, Mason has no ties to the area. I would assume he's going to hire some coaches with recruiting experience in the southeast.

I've already read he might target the Boise State OC.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:07 PM   #688
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Mason was the better choice.

He better hire someone to help him recruit the SE.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #689
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Derek Mason apparently hitting up Ohio for three staff additions with 'Dores: Gerry Gdowski, Keven Lightner, Jason Grooms
Old 01-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #690
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 840000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Mason was the better choice.

He better hire someone to help him recruit the SE.
I think Mason is a bad pick for Vandy and will give him 3 years. Vandy needed an offensive minded coach since that's the only way they can be successful in the SEC. Hate to say it, but I think this was more about a minority AD giving a minority a HC chance.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #691
GamecockDad1531
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot materialGamecockDad1531 is USC mascot material

Do we actually have confirmation from a legitimate source that says Morris interviewed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GamecockDad1531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #692
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

Sounds like the college coaching carousel is winding down. So a question for those of you who like following this stuff - who's on the hot seat now? What jobs will be open next year?

I'm thinking on the hot seat:
Brady Hoke (very hot)
Will Muschamp (a little warm)
Bo Pelini (en fuego)
Dana Holgorsen (getting toasty)
Charlie Weiss (I honestly just can't believe he's still a head coach....)
Mike London (I see no way he keeps his job after next year)
Sonny Dykes (lukewarm - his team was terrible but nobody gets fired after year 2, right?)
Darrell Hazell (oh Purdue....same deal with Sonny Dykes here, though)
Doug Martin (another guy with a horrible year 1)
Kevin Wilson (sweltering. Yeah, anybody would stink at Indiana but he hasn't put a winning team together yet in 3 years)
Tim Beckman (HOT. Would you believe the Illini are actually missing the Zooker?)
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:11 PM   #693
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1999829275
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

I think the NFC has caught on to the low hanging fruit of plucking these young successful college coaches and adding them as professional HC's. So as that continues to trend I can see this type off coaching shuffle really start to take off as it did at the end of 2013. It used to be the promising NFL coordinators taking HC positions but it's obvious that some guys are just that, coordinators and can't handle being an HC(like the two that nearly died while in office this season). Anyway, the college ranks will be hard pressed to keep up with that type of pillaging so who knows, they may just need to keep hold of these coaches bc the NFL is walking around with their balls out and the CFB buyouts have no barring as to whether or not they go to the pro's.
roosterdude21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #694
GamecockGuardsman
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 995100
GamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetInChicago View Post
Sounds like the college coaching carousel is winding down. So a question for those of you who like following this stuff - who's on the hot seat now? What jobs will be open next year?

Brady Hoke (very hot)
Bo Pelini (en fuego)
Sonny Dykes (lukewarm - his team was terrible but nobody gets fired after year 2, right?)
Kevin Wilson (sweltering. Yeah, anybody would stink at Indiana but he hasn't put a winning team together yet in 3 years)
Tim Beckman (HOT. Would you believe the Illini are actually missing the Zooker?)
I think Muschamp's seat is extremely hot. If UF doesn't win 10 games, he might be gone or maybe he will get away with 9 wins. Same goes with Pelini. Some other names that could be included is Paul Johnson (GT), Paul Rhoads (Iowa State), Mike Price (UTEP) -not a major program but may bring interest to a coach in the upstate, Kyle Whittingham (Utah)
Old 01-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #695
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Brady Hoke (very hot)
Bo Pelini (en fuego)
Frank Beamer's seat may be slightly warm.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #696
wthforever
Recruit

Male

wthforever is learning to peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
11 possible openings and I'm sure either Dabo or Chad Morris will be rumored to be the front runners in all of them.
wthforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:38 AM   #697
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

If Dan Mullen turns in another 6 win season you'll probably see his name come up.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #698
Travelin
Household Name

Male

Vanderbilt: According to Ohio University's student paper, The Post, Ohio offensive line coach Kevin Lightner, co-offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Gerry Gdowski and assistant athletic director for football operations Jason Grooms will join Derek Mason's staff at Vanderbilt.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #699
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:

Brady Hoke (very hot)
Bo Pelini (en fuego)
Good list! I actually thought Weiss had already got canned. That is the job I could see Morris getting next year.
The big surprise on that list for me was Sonny Dykes. I really expected him to do well at Cal.
mick66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #700
GamecockGuardsman
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 995100
GamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot materialGamecockGuardsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
The last two years has been a disappointment for VT. Logan Thomas ended up being a bust and their offense has been awful. Beamer ball seems to be dead for the moment. I really don't know how much Frank would be on the hot seat. I know the fans will grip and complain but I don't know if the AD would put pressure on Frank just yet. I don't know what kind of team VT will have but I can see if the next two years are awful just like the previous two years, then I can see some seats being hot. I see VT doing the same thing like FSU did to Bobby Bowden. I do not think they will fire him but will put the pressure on him to retire. Beamer is a legend at VT.

Quote:
If Dan Mullen turns in another 6 win season you'll probably see his name come up.
Yeah, I forgot about Mullen. I agree that if he turns out another 6 or 7 win season, he could be gone.