CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
Singaporecock
ReadR00ster
sporkgod50
usc1
2000grad
markp_vip
jrussjr
G&B
SCohioBoy
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Hillsborough (479)
Larenz Bryant update (459)
2015 - Chris Clark (425)
No.1 for 2016 has Ga (343)
UK's Whitlow to tran (269)
Bamberg High School (233)
GTA V online (224)
Its April 15th and i (173)
Joeckel Transfering (166)
A'ja Wilson
Jameis Winston's Accuser
Larenz Bryant update?
Kelcy and Vic questioned
response from charter abo
GTA V online
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
2015 - Emanuel McGirt
2015 - Lorenzo Nunez
Joeckel Transfering from

Old 01-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #21
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit
Default Re: More UNC cheating ... surprise ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravecock524 View Post
How can you be a college grad if you fail your classes?
Lol, yes that was redundant and inclusive.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #22
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
I'm pretty sure the standards are there, they just aren't enforced really. No school is going to turn down a Clowney talent because of grades when players like that will get you wins and make $ for your program/University. College football is big business. If you are going to turn down those guys and not allow them to get into a college then I think they should be allowed to go pro right after they turn 18 out of High School. Personally I think they should be allowed to go pro whenever an NFL team is willing to draft them. It's their lives and most college football fans selfishly disagree because it would hurt the product on the field in college.
But do you not feel some sort of responsibility to help them out on a personal level, or should we just push them into a pigeon hole for our own personal enjoyment?

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #23
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockadoo View Post
But do you not feel some sort of responsibility to help them out on a personal level, or should we just push them into a pigeon hole for our own personal enjoyment?
As long as he wins me games I'm happy.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #24
rioninusc
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudlyrioninusc is crowing loudly

Quote:
You're thinking about that the wrong way. If the pro's would only take college grads and those college grads had to have passing grades. Also if the college would only accept athletes that are able to pass the standardized testing, then we would not have this issue. The kids would have to learn if they want to make it to the pros or they don't..period. That should be the standard. But what has happened is greed took precedent in the coaches and administrations agenda and they began to bend the rules and we have slowly evolved to where we are today. And it's a helluva lot harder to fix now.
No this has been going on for a looong time, we just have more media nowadays that parade over the negativity in everything. Not to mention the popularity with the sports, and issues like players should get paid.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #25
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick_ball View Post
and the wonderlic is not evaluation of educational functions?
There is no minimum required grade for the Wonderlic. It won't do you any good to score a 4 out of 50, but if you run a 4.3 it's not going to hurt you either.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #26
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
There is no minimum required grade for the Wonderlic. It won't do you any good to score a 4 out of 50, but if you run a 4.3 it's not going to hurt you either.
I was joking
Old 01-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #27
athenscock2
Blue Chip

Male

athenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talons

Collegiate athletics has lost sight of its original purpose. Sportsmanship has been replaced by dirty play, win at all costs, and $$$ has taken over.The tail wags the dog. If you read the purpose statement of any major university it is misleading if it doesn't include have a winning football team whatever it takes included as the main purpose of the university. That will seperate the rhetoric from the reality..
athenscock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #28
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

RALEIGH — The News and Observer Publishing Co. sued UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellor Carol Folt on Thursday, seeking access to a spreadsheet or database with information that could offer a link to the origins of lingering athletic and academic scandals.
The lawsuit was filed in Wake County Superior Court the same day that Folt publicly accepted the university’s responsibility for bogus classes benefiting student athletes that were offered through the African and Afro-American Studies Department. She also acknowledged a failure of academic oversight.
Internal and external investigations have shown that about 200 lecture-style classes were offered in that department, dating to the mid-1990s, in which there is little or no evidence of any instruction. Investigations also have found that roughly 500 grade changes were suspected or confirmed to be authorized through the department.
Since June, The N&O has requested data that UNC sent to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools’ Commission on Colleges about the bogus courses.
On March 8, a SACS report to UNC stated that 173 of the 384 students signed up for those classes were student-athletes.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01/...ellor-for.html
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #29
MountainCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200500
MountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot materialMountainCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenscock2 View Post
Collegiate athletics has lost sight of its original purpose. Sportsmanship has been replaced by dirty play, win at all costs, and $$$ has taken over.The tail wags the dog. If you read the purpose statement of any major university it is misleading if it doesn't include have a winning football team whatever it takes included as the main purpose of the university. That will seperate the rhetoric from the reality..
I agree, and it's getting worse.
MountainCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #30
paynemd2
Recruit

Male

paynemd2 has feathers coming inpaynemd2 has feathers coming inpaynemd2 has feathers coming in

Quote:
I want what the athlete believes is best for them. If a kid gives 100% but just isn't smart enough to pass HS classes he obviously isn't going to be able to pass classes at the next level. If he has the talent to play in the NFL why shouldn't he be allowed to pursue that regardless of his age? Some people (athletes or not) don't have what it takes or have no interest in going to college. I believe in allowing them to make their own life choices.
paynemd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #31
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 95340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

I hope UNC burns for all this. Real talk, if this would've happened at Benedict or some small D3 school, they would've lost their accreditation.

-Abo Swinney, April 17, 2013

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...-carolina-woes
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #32
WayzUp
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1200
WayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPitWayzUp rules the CockPit
Send a message via Yahoo to WayzUp

What I don't understand is the fact that there is evidence...cold, hard, caught-red-handed evidence of hundreds of cases that violate NCAA rules. The Chancellor of UNC himself has even admitted it and publicly taken responsibility for, and I quote, "academic fraud". This isn't a situation that needs to be investigated by the NCAA....all the evidence has been found and made public for them.

So why no sanctions against any of their athletic programs outside of the 'scandal' that broke under Butch Davis & Co. a couple years ago --- that all seems almost insignificant in comparison to what's coming out now.

Maybe I've missed it but I haven't heard even a hint of NCAA involvement in this thing....what's up with that? Are they just hoping no one notices?
Old 01-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #33
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his combBeano Cook is developing his comb

I think UNC's defense has been that since non athlete's were enrolled in the classes that made it a problem for the university as a whole but not an athletic violation.

To me situations like this are where the NAACP should be involved.Why are they not questioning why African-American athletes were placed in these phony classes,thus depriving them of a legitimate chance at a real education.Is it because the powers to be at UNC don't believe AA students have the capacity to learn in authentic classes.To me this is the most insidious form of racism there is.Where are Al and Jesse on this one?
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #34
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayzUp View Post
What I don't understand is the fact that there is evidence...cold, hard, caught-red-handed evidence of hundreds of cases that violate NCAA rules. The Chancellor of UNC himself has even admitted it and publicly taken responsibility for, and I quote, "academic fraud". This isn't a situation that needs to be investigated by the NCAA....all the evidence has been found and made public for them.

So why no sanctions against any of their athletic programs outside of the 'scandal' that broke under Butch Davis & Co. a couple years ago --- that all seems almost insignificant in comparison to what's coming out now.

Maybe I've missed it but I haven't heard even a hint of NCAA involvement in this thing....what's up with that? Are they just hoping no one notices?
The NCAA will NOT pursue this because at it's root lies the basketball team. Believe me when I say they are untouchable.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #35
taylorssc
Swag Out

Male

taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

We have a poster on CT who works for the NCAA Compliance Office. He's posted a few times in defense of NCAA decisions, maybe he would be willing to share some info on the UNC situation.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #36
Woody7687
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

I went to college and earned my degree because that's what I felt I needed to do to help me land a good career. These guys are playing ball at a college for a couple of years to better their career. They are going for the same reason I did, its just they do not need a degree in the pro sports world. I feel the college did serve these student athletes just fine even if they do struggle with academics. Its a messed up system and as long as there is big money in it we wont see a fix anytime soon. But why hurt a world class athlete that's sub par in the class room. If hes the best ball carrier in the country let him play ball and better his career in his sport. Besides if his sports career doesn't pan out he can always come back and try to earn his degree like the rest of us.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #37
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

UNC is doing everything that can to try and help someone graduate. It is like you have to try and fail there. Their tutors, professors, advisors, and coaches are all in attempting to help these athletes

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #38
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
The NCAA will NOT pursue this because at it's root lies the basketball team. Believe me when I say they are untouchable.

The other issue is the Ed Obannon case. Willinghams info is being used by the obannon side. If the NCAA went after UNC, they would use that info, therby proving the Obannons case for them.

The NCAA has failed and UNC has failed. It's pathetic.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #39
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3861799
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
We have a poster on CT who works for the NCAA Compliance Office. He's posted a few times in defense of NCAA decisions, maybe he would be willing to share some info on the UNC situation.
There stance is they have already ruled on the situation. Everything else being uncovered is part of the same fraud they ruled one. There will be no double jeopardy which is a good thing in theory. However why did they have such a rush to judgement in the first place? They usually take forever to make a ruling. UNC played the NCAA by copping to the tip of the iceberg early.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote