CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Yearofthegamecock
jrussjr
Acockolypse Now
b381l
ReadR00ster
ACPhilson
kick_ball
COCKYTALKIN
WeStillOwnUSC
Sir Cuss
Auburn looks beatabl (3646)
Three young corners (1713)
**official Vandy pre (1446)
King - South Carolin (1155)
Haven't seen one unb (643)
No Vandy Predictions (574)
Funny Golf Story Abo (395)
Zumwalt Stealth Dest (385)
Texas Tech assistant (277)
Defense Tackles (272)
Next years RB situation
Funny Golf Story About HB
Auburn Stealing Signals?
Three young corners progr
Well, as it turns out, we
**official Vandy predicti
2016 - Bryan Edwards
Good crowd for volleyball
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
BBQ Hash Recipes?

Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #21
acejrock
Rockington

Male

CockyCash: 28000000
acejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot materialacejrock is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to acejrock Send a message via Yahoo to acejrock
Default Re: PC sales down

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Win 8 is great for tablets. I don't care for the metro screen on desktops though. It really caused corporate customers to hold off. Third party apps like StartX allowed you to have your familiar desktop back while keeping the under the hood improvements. Win 8.1 was a big step forward. The update to it coming in April should give a mature experience. I expect corporate to get on board then.
I don't think Corporate will jump on Win 8 any time soon.

Quote:
However, analysts at Gartner, IDC and other IT research firms have expressed skepticism that IT departments will embark on wholesale Windows 8 upgrades, since many companies have just finished, or are in the midst of, upgrading to Windows 7 from Windows XP.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...rise_ready_39_

This hits the nail of the head.
acejrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #22
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejrock View Post
I don't think Corporate will jump on Win 8 any time soon.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...rise_ready_39_

This hits the nail of the head.
Some of the chatter I have heard is that the move to win 8 is being spurred by sales of win phones and now of win tabs. If that works well in the business field it will play well in the boardroom. Biz income is growing but they are not investing in people anymore. Tech, however, is another story. If they think that having a unified IT field is to their advantage they will take it.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #23
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

Also a lot of the bigger companies are trying the switch to nothing but tablets. I'm an engineer working in the field for GE. Right now we have laptops but the initiative is to have everyone using iPads. They already have some of the guys using them in a sort of beta. So far reports have been good. So I see it coming soon.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #24
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

I think many people are living out of their smart phones and seldom use PCs anymore. All the apps are basically reinventing the old desktop environment in a way that they can do almost everything on their smart phones or tablets.

I'm caught in between the shift...I just got a new laptop after returning my new tablet. The learning curve can be rough if you have to use multiple devices all the time. I'm ok with the touch screens...I miss the multiple windows and big monitors. I currently use 5 different devices: desktop with big monitor, 2 different laptops (one with 2 separate monitors), a smart phone and a flip phone.
There are some things that just go easier using a mouse and some things that are easier using touchscreens.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #25
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockadoo View Post
Right now we have laptops but the initiative is to have everyone using iPads.
Wifi is an issue for some...and people cannot do calls/text off tablets. I think the expense and connectivity is a bigger issue than the devices themselves. There are still a lot of areas that do not have 3G/4G besides Verizon.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #26
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Support for XP ends April 8th. By the end of this year you will see a big difference in the sales landscape. Businesses are going as mobile as possible, for good reason.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:59 AM   #27
Cockadoo
Starter

Male

Cockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPitCockadoo rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Wifi is an issue for some...and people cannot do calls/text off tablets. I think the expense and connectivity is a bigger issue than the devices themselves. There are still a lot of areas that do not have 3G/4G besides Verizon.
We still carry company iPhones for calls and such. All the sites we work at usually have Verizon coverage. AT&T is hit or miss though. GE has a bunch of their own apps for the iPad which are job specific. They also use Citrix for video conferencing and facetime. They have spent a lot of time and money into creating this so I don't see it going away.

Cockadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #28
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 0
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I hate it because it is meant for cell phones and tablets...but I don't want my computer to have the appearance of a tablet...I hate compartmentalized layouts...I like big, open layouts on my screen, and Windows 8 ain't it.

I'm sure the system works just fine, but the presentation and layout are just a pain in the ass.

Microsoft should've continued building off Windows 7, which worked in my opinion, but did have its gliches.
This.

Windows 8 was designed for touch screens, yet you can also get it on laptops that aren't touch screen, which makes it worse. Windows 7 is better for computers without touch screens.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #29
Antiochus
Evil...It's the new Good

Male

CockyCash: 700
Antiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
This.

Windows 8 was designed for touch screens, yet you can also get it on laptops that aren't touch screen, which makes it worse. Windows 7 is better for computers without touch screens.
The desktop is still there and works like it always has. It don't see what the fuss is all about. Windows 7 is fine, but slower.

Antiochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #30
Antiochus
Evil...It's the new Good

Male

CockyCash: 700
Antiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot materialAntiochus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I hate it because it is meant for cell phones and tablets...but I don't want my computer to have the appearance of a tablet...I hate compartmentalized layouts...I like big, open layouts on my screen, and Windows 8 ain't it.

I'm sure the system works just fine, but the presentation and layout are just a pain in the ass.

Microsoft should've continued building off Windows 7, which worked in my opinion, but did have its gliches.

The Start screen is just a giant start button. Just click on the desktop tile and it's windows as usual.

Antiochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #31
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockadoo View Post
...so I don't see it going away.
Absolutely...but it is in a big flux where all these different devices are being used as opposed to just one or two 10 yrs ago. I expect things to solidfy at some point where we go back to one or two devices with noticeably better connectivity and providers like AT&T & Sprint are on par with Verizon with all having much more affordable plans.

I remember the days of $25 phone bills minus long distance and where dial up was the same as a local call. We have more and we pay more....that's the way it goes.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #32
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

I did my part to boost hardware sales this Christmas

Intel i7 4770k w/ Noctua NH-U14S
Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero
16GB G.skill ARES DDR 3 1600MHz
PNY Geforce GTX 770 OC
500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
2TB Western Digital Black 64MB Cache
Corsair 850HX 850watt PSU
Cooler Master HAF-X case

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #33
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
I believe it has more to do with the popularity of tablets.

Correct, it's more to do with tablet popularity.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #34
Tailfeathers
Starter

Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetailgater View Post

Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero
PNY Geforce GTX 770 OC
Cooler Master HAF-X case
What do you think about the solid state drive?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #35
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Quote:

Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero
PNY Geforce GTX 770 OC
Cooler Master HAF-X case
Nice rig. Built a very similar one back at the beginning of November. Went with 32 GB RAM due to some things I test out (VMware, storage & compute emulators, etc...).

The Samsung EVO SSDs are friggin' amazing. Just ordered my second and third ones for my new rig and actually thinking of replacing the two SSDs in my laptop with EVOs as well.

In regards to people being frustrated with Windows 8 / 8.1....lolz. Both Apple and Microsoft are going the way of "merging" OSes. Windows 8 / 8.1 is very slick and efficient and with 8.1, you can boot straight to the desktop. They brought back the "Start" button but it currently only goes right back to the Modern UI. Windows 8.2 / 9 ("Threshold") will bring back the original Start menu, so with that, along with booting straight to desktop, it should make a lot of people happy.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #36
ultimatetailgater
Bowl MVP

Male

ultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot materialultimatetailgater is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to ultimatetailgater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailfeathers View Post
What do you think about the solid state drive?
Once you go SSD you'll never want to use a HDD again. Everything from boot times to load times in games is way faster. I'm running mine in boost mode with the samsung software. The EVO is a great value, 95% performance of the pro and you can find the 500GB around $300 on sale most places. As you can see it's not even close. The HDD I have is a 2nd gen WD Black with 64MB cache it's pretty much the fastest 7200rpm drive there is.

Name:  hdd.PNG
Views: 122
Size:  24.1 KB

ultimatetailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #37
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1705674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Once you go SSD you'll never want to use a HDD again. Everything from boot times to load times in games is way faster. I'm running mine in boost mode with the samsung software. The EVO is a great value, 95% performance of the pro and you can find the 500GB around $300 on sale most places. As you can see it's not even close. The HDD I have is a 2nd gen WD Black with 64MB cache it's pretty much the fastest 7200rpm drive there is.

Attachment 12189
still a huge price difference on comprable sizes between the two versions isnt there? (SDD vs HDD)

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #38
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1705674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

yep, a SSD is about 5x the cost of a comprable HDD

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #39
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
yep, a SSD is about 5x the cost of a comprable HDD
It'll be dropping as time goes on.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #40
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

8.1 is a pointless update. I know because I updated. There is no old desktop part of it

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote