CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Clowneygotcha
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
Evilchicken3
spareparts
Acockolypse Now
Badazcock
eightohhthree
StormOfTalons
Mike Davis (3270)
Terrible Officiating (1821)
Cack's Toast of the (1732)
Acock's Wrap Up: Geo (1539)
If (big IF) we can w (1361)
USC -21 and a hook @ (1277)
Elliott Fry crushes (1255)
No Gurley near the g (1211)
Most Spirited Fan (918)
How the top 25 SHOUL (855)
Tired of night games
ESPN is mad that USC beat
If (big IF) we can win bi
Been a pleasure talking w
No Gurley near the goal l
The SEC East schedule fro
Beasley, Sack God
Acock's Wrap Up: Georgia
Most Spirited Fan
Coach Elliott pregame.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #221
SpillerTime
Go Tigers!

Male

CockyCash: 425
SpillerTime is sharpening his clawsSpillerTime is sharpening his clawsSpillerTime is sharpening his clawsSpillerTime is sharpening his clawsSpillerTime is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Starting Qb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
So as a Clemson fan, are you saying you would rather us start a RS FR over a RS SR for your benefit?

Not intending this as smack, just confused. Sometimes clear meanings don't come off on a message board.

No problem. Was being sarcastic. Sorry it did not come off clearly.

I think if you start Dylan Thompson you will have a better chance to win.

If you start Connor Mitch, I believe it gives us a better chance to win.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #222
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

It's funny that any other time Clemson is an overrated program living in the past unless it involves Thompspon then they're a legit powerhouse and Memorial stadium is the toughest atmosphere in all of college football.
Dizzy01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #223
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpillerTime View Post
No problem. Was being sarcastic. Sorry it did not come off clearly.

I think if you start Dylan Thompson you will have a better chance to win.

If you start Connor Mitch, I believe it gives us a better chance to win.
Yeah, I agree. I agree with you, I don't understand why this is even a discussion.

Are Gamecock fans (and I know you're not one) the only fan base in the nation who would rather have a RS FR start over a RS SR with loads of talent coming back on offense, an offense that set a few school records in 2013?
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #224
SpillerTime
Go Tigers!

Male

SpillerTime is sharpening his clawsSpillerTime is sharpening his clawsSpillerTime is sharpening his clawsSpillerTime is sharpening his clawsSpillerTime is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
It's funny that any other time Clemson is an overrated program living in the past unless it involves Thompspon then they're a legit powerhouse and Memorial stadium is the toughest atmosphere in all of college football.
I just wouldn't want to face Thompson and his experience. But if you guys would rather start some other guy, go ahead.

Overall, though, I think Spurrier knows what he is doing and believe he will be the best judge.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:54 AM   #225
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I have no reason to believe, barring injury, that Dylan will lose his starting job before August 28th. Even if Mitch/Nosovitch are great this spring/summer, it will take a lot to overcome Dylan.
Why? Why would it take a lot of ground to make up. Yes, this is a dead serious question.Why do you think Dylan is so far ahead of Nosovitch, or Mitch even?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:57 AM   #226
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I just wouldn't want to face Thompson and his experience. But if you guys would rather start some other guy, go ahead.

Overall, though, I think Spurrier knows what he is doing and believe he will be the best judge.
I'm sure FSU hated having to start a RS Freshman throughout the season.

If the same guy starts the whole season then by week 12 "experience" isn't going to be an issue.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #227
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
Why? Why would it take a lot of ground to make up. Yes, this is a dead serious question.Why do you think Dylan is so far ahead of Nosovitch, or Mitch even?
Because they have shown me absolutely NOTHING to warrant being in the discussion. I'll take a fifth year senior who was completed big passes here and won big games for us over two guys who have thrown about ten combined passes in their career.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #228
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Because they have shown me absolutely NOTHING to warrant being in the discussion. I'll take a fifth year senior who was completed big passes here and won big games for us over two guys who have thrown about ten combined passes in their career.
Do you speak with Spurrier often? I'm sure he'll take you're opinion on the matter to heart, and discuss it with the other coaches at the meetings before prep-week (August 20~).

Sorry, that was me being an ass.

Connor Shaw started over Garcia in 2011 - his senior year, after Garcia had one of the best seasons as a QB in a long time. Shaw had thrown a total of 23 passes his freshman year.

How do you think he jumped Garcia? By outperforming him in winter workouts, spring practice, and summer camp. The same can be done to Thompson. He can be outperformed. It can happen. Not saying it will, or that I even want it too. But this position is not locked down - no matter how much Spurrier says it is. It's just funny to see all of you defend Thompson like people are insulting him - yet if Mitch straight balls out in the weight room and at Spring Practice/Summer Camp and Thompson doesn't, then half of this board will be "PLAY CONNOR MITCH"...
Old 01-20-2014, 01:21 AM   #229
SpillerTime
Go Tigers!

Male

Quote:
I'm sure FSU hated having to start a RS Freshman throughout the season.

If the same guy starts the whole season then by week 12 "experience" isn't going to be an issue.
So what makes you think Connor Mitch gives South Carolina a better chance to win? Was it something in all the games you watched him play? Do you really think you can evaluate QBs better than Spurrier?

I'm sorry but if your comparing Mitch to one of the best college football quarterbacks in the history of the game (Winston) then you are looking through Garnet color glasses. And for the record, I think Mitch is going to be good.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:25 AM   #230
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
So what makes you think Connor Mitch gives South Carolina a better chance to win? Was it something in all the games you watched him play? Do you really think you can evaluate QBs better than Spurrier?

I'm sorry but if your comparing Mitch to one of the best college football quarterbacks in the history of the game (Winston) then you are looking through Garnet color glasses. And for the record, I think Mitch is going to be good.
I don't know if I would go as far as to say all that now.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:29 AM   #231
SpillerTime
Go Tigers!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I don't know if I would go as far as to say all that now.
True! I meant freshman QB.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:36 AM   #232
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Quote:

I don't know if it will be Thompson, Nosovitch, Mitch or Orth that starts Aug 28 but I do know that just because a comment got made now it doesn't make anything a lock. This isn't about evaluating QBs better than Spurrier but rather knowing the best guy should play regardless of whether he's been in the program 5 years or 1.

As for the comments that no one else on the team has shown they can beat out Thompson what has he shown that makes you think he can't be beaten out for the starting job?
Old 01-20-2014, 03:35 AM   #233
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:

No, I don't. Neither does Dizzy, I'm sure. However, I think Dizzy and I are on the same page. Spurrier is the best evaluator when it comes to QB's to run his offenses. And, Spurrier will pick and play the best QB when that time comes.

So while all of you can cling to every word the man says - I will cling to Steve Spurrier's CHOICE come August 28th - not his choice in January 18th - or whenever he said whatever he said.

You see...I don't know how many times 222 (221 now) days has to be mentioned to get it through to any one who just knows Dylan is going to start - but that's how many days Nosovitch and/or Mitch, and/or any other QB on the roster will have to compete to take away that starters position.

Spurrier has been a coach a long time. He knows you don't just lock a position up in January.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:38 AM   #234
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

The reason SOS named Dylan the starter is because he is better than the others, knows the offense, and has more experience. For him not to be the starter going into next season, something major is going to have to happen and that isn't likely. I'm not sure why there is even an argument about this.

This is almost like saying David Williams is going to start ahead of Mike Davis....ain't happening. I'm not saying Williams won't play, just that Davis is the starter.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:51 AM   #235
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
The reason SOS named Dylan the starter is because he is better than the others, knows the offense, and has more experience. For him not to be the starter going into next season, something major is going to have to happen and that isn't likely. I'm not sure why there is even an argument about this.

This is almost like saying David Williams is going to start ahead of Mike Davis....ain't happening. I'm not saying Williams won't play, just that Davis is the starter.
No one is arguing that Dylan shouldn't be the starter....
Old 01-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #236
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Quote:

I feel the same way about Davis. He's had some big games but he's also shown he's not a solo style back and he's had some tendency to get nicked up. If Williams really has productive camps and outperforms Davis he could very well start.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #237
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
...he is better than the others, knows the offense, and has more experience.
"better" is a subjective term which includes every aspect of what someone can do on the field. Whether Dylan is actually a better QB is kinda irrelevant at this point because he's so far ahead of anyone else in experience and proven game skills.

What is relevant is the need for all of them to have more game time to develop. Noso and Connor Mitch will have to have real game time in order to develop as SEC players.

Unless Noso or Connor Mitch show some uncanny skills that forces the QB coaches to consider starting them, then their lack of game experience is the main reason they will be behind Dylan to start with.

USC will be gunning for a SEC title next season....and having an experienced QB will be critical. Still, no one needs to discredit the fact that one of the back-up guys could emerge as the season progresses and realistically, Pharoh is our #2 guy with game experience.

If either or both of our back-ups do not emerge as better QBs than Dylan or Connor Shaw, then for sure there will be some huge disappointment for a lot of us. It's about time for USC to have a QB who is legitimately Heisman material.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #238
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
If Williams really has productive camps and outperforms Davis he could very well start.
....but almost certainly not at first. He'll be someone that emerges as a starter, if at all. People forget the Marcus didn't start his 1st game and guys like Emanuel Cook and Captain Munnerlyn emerged as starters mid-way during their FR seasons. Alshon did the same.

Starting with TAMU is huge.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #239
Scfan2605
Walk On

Male

Scfan2605 has hatched from the shell

First off I believe Dylan will start against TAM and I like the kid but I've never been sold on Dylan he beat ecu and Clemson on the road no mike davis he loses to ucf (which was a good team) and no connor shaw he loses to Missouri to big games where the spot light was completely on him to shine and show that he should be the starter like everybody was sayin he should be and if not for them 2 people we go 8-4 this year so that being said my opinion the starting qb job is wide open cause Dylan needs as many reps as anyone else does to prove that he should be the starter connor shaw beat Garcia out of it after he lead us to a sec east title Dylan has only beat Clemson what makes anyone think he cant be beat for the job
Scfan2605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #240
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scfan2605 View Post

First off I believe Dylan will start against TAM and I like the kid but I've never been sold on Dylan he beat ecu and Clemson on the road no mike davis he loses to ucf (which was a good team) and no connor shaw he loses to Missouri to big games where the spot light was completely on him to shine and show that he should be the starter like everybody was sayin he should be and if not for them 2 people we go 8-4 this year so that being said my opinion the starting qb job is wide open cause Dylan needs as many reps as anyone else does to prove that he should be the starter connor shaw beat Garcia out of it after he lead us to a sec east title Dylan has only beat Clemson what makes anyone think he cant be beat for the job
You don't know how much improvement you will see from our other quarterbacks come August. All our QBs have been with team for over a year or two and they ALL should know the offense. And I've seen Dylan Thompson play well, and I have seen the guy struggle, so let's not act like the guy is Peyton Manning.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote