CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Yearofthegamecock
jrussjr
b381l
ReadR00ster
Acockolypse Now
ACPhilson
COCKYTALKIN
kick_ball
WeStillOwnUSC
cockfight21
Auburn looks beatabl (3797)
Three young corners (1967)
**official Vandy pre (1688)
King - South Carolin (1234)
Haven't seen one unb (689)
Funny Golf Story Abo (604)
No Vandy Predictions (589)
Defense Tackles (471)
Auburn Stealing Sign (383)
Texas Tech assistant (353)
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
uniforms saturday
iPhone 6/6plus and Apple
Auburn Stealing Signals?
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
**official Vandy predicti
Can it get any better!
Three young corners progr
Auburn looks beatable

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 01:28 AM   #14321
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2014 - Casey Gladney - Cincinnati

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
A persons taste in music and what they use to promote themselves is a little different. And yes, what you listen to in the latter can influence your future potential in certain areas. Getting a neck tattoo may be legal or if not you could get one all the way down your arm and hand. Doing so, however, may mean you are not considered for certain jobs later. If you don't like that, oh well, its life. Better to learn it sooner than later.
How is a neck tattoo even comparable? This is a recruiting video, it's not a resume. there's no need for kids to make a "business professional" highlight tape to please some older fans. Let the kids do what they want, as long as I can see highlights I am good. You can just mute it and pretend he's a good kid even though he listens to rap
Old 01-20-2014, 01:30 AM   #14322
cockybreeyan
Bowl MVP

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit
Default Re: Recruiting Weekend Thread

Scott is pretty much a no go at this point from what I've read.

If we can close with Lammons, Wideman, and Green/Prince I'll be happy. I expect Lammons, seems like Wideman is trending our way. Green and Prince are both longshots IMO, hard to get a kid out of his home state. I think we can pull one out but I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't get either.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #14323
nodnahs
Blue Chip

Male

nodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudlynodnahs is crowing loudly

#can'tclose
Old 01-20-2014, 02:03 AM   #14324
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

This is classic....don't read this unless you are seated, so you won't hurt yourself if you fall laughing:

Ponna Ford told the Texas 247 site that he would commit there, but he might want to take an OV to South Carolina first....is this classic or what....that poor guy has been so misled by his coach, it's an absolute shame.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:16 AM   #14325
carolinacocky
Recruit

Male

carolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudlycarolinacocky is crowing loudly

Sorry to have started a firestorm.

First, I am a grandpa, but not quite as old as Spurrier. However, I would have had issues with these lyrics before having kids, much less grandkids.

Second, my comments were not a referendum on rap music. I admit I am not a rap fan, but that's because of the lack of melody, one of the elements (along with pitch, rhythm...) of most music. If the lyrics on that highlight video were set to a country tune, classical, hip hop, reggae or whatever I would still question their use if I was trying to make a favorable presentation and/ or trying to get a scholarship or job.

My question was "who chooses the music?..." If the recruit loves rap, surely there is a song he likes without such vulgarity. If someone else is advising or choosing his music, he might want to get other advice. As a potential recruit/ applicant it might be beneficial to think about what prospective coaches/ eemployers will think... not how "insert favorable contemporary adjective here" your friends will think you are.

Third, I hate to see young people (actually all people) who limit themselves because of their choices. My wife recently helped video some people seeking job advancement and their appearance/ incorrect use of grammar hindered their promotion.

Should they have been able to use improper grammar or dress unconventionally? Should they have done so in the video? Evidently not if they wanted the job/ raise.

Fourth, for those who think my original post "absurd," you missed the point. I have no desire to alienate or be alienated by someone's taste in music. This is not about musical taste. There is no accounting for taste... What you like may be distasteful to me and vice versa.

Fifth, know your audience. Steve's comments at the Ole Miss BB game might have been over the top, but hearing the reaction of the fans made it clear to me that he had nailed the audience.

Many if not most coaches are family men. If I were to put out a video promoting myself I would want to make it as appealing to as wide an audience as possible, not alienate those who do not enjoy, listen to or condone such language.

Finally, what you watch, listen to and read does influence how you think and ultimately act. You may think it not so or think you are intellectually able to listen without being influenced, but the old saying "garbage in, garbage out" is true.

Our coaches (as well as many other school's coaches) speak about making their players better men. I have been impressed with the character of many of our recent and current players... Marcus, Connor, TJ Johnson, Dylan... They make me proud when they speak, when they play, when they take the time to visit hospitals, etc.

I believe our recent football success is about a combination of talent, coaching and character. I wish the best for all our young players and recruits, and would encourage them to listen to a more positive message & lyric, regardless of the style.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 AM   #14326
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacocky View Post
Just watched the following hudl video:
Casey Gladney Highlights 2
Casey Gladney Columbia High (SC) Senior ATH Footage compiled by AthleteVault.com Music: Outkast - BOB Roscoe Dash - Good Night
Posted on 1/10/2012 (4:56)

Who picks the music on these guys highlight videos?
If I was trying to get a scholarship, I think I would select a song that didn't have the word "f---ing" in it 50+ times. These are audition videos and the track behind his vid will alienate almost any father/ coach with an inkling of morals, especially if he has a daughter.
I'm pretty sure coaches just hit mute on the music and watch the highlights

Old 01-20-2014, 02:58 AM   #14327
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Robbie Liles, Director of Recruiting Operations, deserves a bunch of credit for putting together perhaps the best recruiting weekend ever....all the players and their families were very complimentary. Many of the families got to know each other very well and made plans to see each other at the spring game.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:03 AM   #14328
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Default Re: 2014 - Derrell Scott

Derrell had a good time on his visit to Florida. He rated it an 8. He said Muschamp told him he was sorry he offered him so late.....want some more french fries.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:34 AM   #14329
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 - Derrell Scott

Well look, we've recruited him the longest, we've believed in him, and outside of Chubb we've shown him that he would be the ONLY back in this class.

Not sure what else we can do.

If he wants to be somewhere else, that's that. In the end I'm hoping he'll stick with us, because I believe at some point he must have told our coaches he was coming.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:35 AM   #14330
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

That's great news! I'm hoping for a strong close. (duh)
Old 01-20-2014, 03:36 AM   #14331
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnahs View Post
#can'tclose
huh?? did I miss signing day somehow I thought it was still January.....

Old 01-20-2014, 06:10 AM   #14332
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
This is classic....don't read this unless you are seated, so you won't hurt yourself if you fall laughing:

Ponna Ford told the Texas 247 site that he would commit there, but he might want to take an OV to South Carolina first....is this classic or what....that poor guy has been so misled by his coach, it's an absolute shame.

ShaggyBevo posted Ford's quotes, where he said he may commit to UT after talking it over with his parents, or he may his official visits. I take that to mean take his OVs to Oregon and Missouri. There was no mention of USC. He also stated that Texas is the leader right now....
Old 01-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #14333
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpyloser View Post
Would you submit a job resume loaded with profane to a prospective employer, or write an essay to receive a scholarship that involves such, less than professional, language? Not if you expect to get it.

A highlight tape is essentially a resume for a scholarship to a university. What this poster is saying is if an individual doesn't have enough class to portray themselves in a sociable acceptable manner now, when they are trying to impress people, they definitely won't change that attitude going forward.
^This. There's a lot of hip hop out there that doesn't have profane language. That highlight tape is a resume'. It should be putting their best foot forward.

I like gangsta rap too, but I'm not going to put it on my resume'.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 AM   #14334
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
How is a neck tattoo even comparable? This is a recruiting video, it's not a resume. there's no need for kids to make a "business professional" highlight tape to please some older fans. Let the kids do what they want, as long as I can see highlights I am good. You can just mute it and pretend he's a good kid even though he listens to rap
1. For all the talk of these "kids" they are soon to be 18 year old men. They can serve in the military, vote, and if they do a crime they are charged as adults, not minors. I get that they are young, but they are also MEN, not kids.

2. They are comparable because they are both choices a person has made to publicly express themselves. How you dress, the things you do at work, the way you present yourself publicly in social media, and many other things CAN affect you from a professional standpoint. I know several people personally that have either gotten in trouble or fired for things that happened on their facebook or twitter accounts. You can't pretend there is not a link between the way people view you and the things you do or say in public forums to represent yourself.

All of that being said, I seriously doubt a coach would mind too much as I am fairly certain they hear more than that on the sidelines during every game. What I am saying is a person isn't far off base to say that choosing to put a certain track to your highlight video will turn some people off. Its never a good idea to have your highlight video NSFW.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #14335
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 - Kaylon "Poona" Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
I think he goes to Texas, if Strong reaches out.
He just finished his OV there.

Jeff Howe ‏@JeffHowe247 9h #Longhorns impress 4-star DT Poona Ford
Old 01-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #14336
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
Scott is pretty much a no go at this point from what I've read.

If we can close with Lammons, Wideman, and Green/Prince I'll be happy. I expect Lammons, seems like Wideman is trending our way. Green and Prince are both longshots IMO, hard to get a kid out of his home state. I think we can pull one out but I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't get either.
I think we get Lammons, Green, and Scott.

I don't think Wideman flips, but I will be glad if I'm wrong.

Prince is too much of a toss up without some more information. If I had to bet my house TODAY I'd say he stays in-state at Maryland. Outside of the CBs this is the guy I would love to have the most out of that group.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #14337
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Default Re: 2014 - Kaylon "Poona" Ford

I just hope he commits somewhere soon so we can shut this down again. Tired of hearing all the double speak and nuanced explanations contradicting what we've heard all along.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:24 AM   #14338
Blinkimgone
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 300
Blinkimgone has hatched from the shell

Coaches could care less about music on highlight videos. I had Nas as the soundtrack of my highlight video. Same reason movie directors use soundtracks, to help set the scene as they see it.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #14339
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
I think we get Lammons, Green, and Scott.

I don't think Wideman flips, but I will be glad if I'm wrong.

Prince is too much of a toss up without some more information. If I had to bet my house TODAY I'd say he stays in-state at Maryland. Outside of the CBs this is the guy I would love to have the most out of that group.
If we do get those three guys and no more, would that be a full class for this year? How many more can the coaches reasonably sign this year?

WTS, if we can get Prince, I hope we do. Sounds like he's going to be a good one.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #14340
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkimgone View Post
Coaches could care less about music on highlight videos. I had Nas as the soundtrack of my highlight video. Same reason movie directors use soundtracks, to help set the scene as they see it.
"set the scene?" huh? you are at a hs football game. It should sound like you are at one. I think coaches are annoyed by the music, but at the end of the day, it's there job to watch the film and find the talent. I don't think they are making character evaluations because of it. They don't even know if it is the recruit that made the reel.
Closed Thread