CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingoftheroost
b381l
Gamecocks1137
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
Yearofthegamecock
ReadR00ster
gamecockgal
garnet_black215
Regalcock
Polls (3225)
Gameday in Columbia (2835)
Gameday Sign Ideas (2463)
Clem5on fans are bes (1471)
Dylan Thompson's pas (1418)
Why Weren't We Bette (1314)
SEC East Race as of (1123)
ST coach fired this (933)
Hardest Schedule (923)
Let's talk about Mat (919)
Why Weren't We Better Pre
ST coach fired this week
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Gameday in Columbia
Clem5on fans are beside t
D line pressure
USC/Missouri 9/27/2014
Polls
iPhone 6/6plus and Apple
James Thompson - 6'9"

Old 01-18-2014, 10:11 AM   #701
sunbeam
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
sunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talonssunbeam has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Coaching Carousel

Think the Mason hire is going to bomb.

Unless this guy is some kind of version of Franklin, except from the West Coast.

Nothing at all to do with his x's and o's, just you have to have a recruiter at Vandy like Franklin to get any movement up in this conference. And so far as I know he is not on the same level.

If Stanford has a couple of good years, that job recruits itself. They can recruit nationally, the kind of kids they have to sign without spending much money. Say you are a 5 Star offensive lineman somewhere, and Stanford identifies you as a kid they can get admitted and want. Personally I sign with them as soon as they extend an offer.

These are the kids everyone wants. But they also tend to be the same kids that know what having Stanford on your sheepskin actually means, as opposed to say Alabama.

Vandy is an excellent school, but I think they need to win like they have the past few years for a while longer before they could do the same kind of recruiting. Plus due to structural off the field issue, a Vandy degree just isn't as valuable as a Stanford degree.

And as someone said, defensive coaches are a poor choice for teams that face a built in recruiting disadvantage. The Chad would have been a bad choice for Vandy, and Vandy a bad choice for him.

But I think it would have turned out better for Vandy than this Mason hire.
sunbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #702
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
Think the Mason hire is going to bomb.

Unless this guy is some kind of version of Franklin, except from the West Coast.

Nothing at all to do with his x's and o's, just you have to have a recruiter at Vandy like Franklin to get any movement up in this conference. And so far as I know he is not on the same level.

If Stanford has a couple of good years, that job recruits itself. They can recruit nationally, the kind of kids they have to sign without spending much money. Say you are a 5 Star offensive lineman somewhere, and Stanford identifies you as a kid they can get admitted and want. Personally I sign with them as soon as they extend an offer.

These are the kids everyone wants. But they also tend to be the same kids that know what having Stanford on your sheepskin actually means, as opposed to say Alabama.

Vandy is an excellent school, but I think they need to win like they have the past few years for a while longer before they could do the same kind of recruiting. Plus due to structural off the field issue, a Vandy degree just isn't as valuable as a Stanford degree.

And as someone said, defensive coaches are a poor choice for teams that face a built in recruiting disadvantage. The Chad would have been a bad choice for Vandy, and Vandy a bad choice for him.

But I think it would have turned out better for Vandy than this Mason hire.
No way of knowing just yet. I'd like to know his buy-out and details of his contract. The guy might not be there long. Vandy just might have to settle with being a stepping stone job until they find the perfect coach that wants to stay there. Kinda like Spurrier here. There's a challenge at Vandy for the right coach with the resources to hire the right asst's. Vandy might be the Ark St. of the SEC. Coaches move on, but the Uni gets a huge buy-out so they can turn around and hmake another quality hire and still end up winning 8 games and make a bowl.

WTS, I think Mason will do good, I'm sure he has a plan in place to get the best recruits possible. He just might be able to recruit nationally better than we anticipate. Maybe he's going to recruit the north, he's already hired three asst coaches from Ohio.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #703
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Rick Henry ‏@RickHenry10 5m Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney receives 8 year deal to continue coaching the Tigers.

Aaron_Brenner:Dabo-Eight years, $27.15 million, fully guaranteed if fired any time in the next three seasons

--------------------------

Per source, Larry Fedora has indeed discussed the UNC OC job with Indiana offensive coordinator Seth Littrell.

Pete Roussel ‏@coachingsearch 32m UAB is indeed interviewing one last coach today, per source
Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #704
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 470000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Rick Henry ‏@RickHenry10 5m Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney receives 8 year deal to continue coaching the Tigers.
Go ahead and print up the 13 in a row t-shirts!!

And who in the heck gives an 8 year extension??
Old 01-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #705
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Bold prediction by Derek Mason:

Derek Mason: "SEC East title, here we come. Make no bones about it."

Mason says he plans to have 90% of his staff in place in 24-48 hours (“or sooner”)

Last edited by Travelin; 01-18-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #706
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

8...years? This is the best day of my life kinda!
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #707
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
8...years? This is the best day of my life kinda!
They will be stuck with him for at least four years!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #708
gotrice?
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5600
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

If they fall apart without Boyd and Sammy I will just be loving it.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #709
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Where is the retirement in Clempson clause?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #710
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 470000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Quote:
Bold prediction by Derek Mason:

Derek Mason: "SEC East title, here we come. Make no bones about it."

Mason says he plans to have 90% of his staff in place in 24-48 hours (“or sooner”)
Well I wouldn't expect him to say "We hope to finish at least 4th in the SEC East every year. Make no bones about it".

Old 01-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #711
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

Love how they waited to be sure that Morris was staying before finalizing the extension for Dabo.

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #712
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Vanderbilt: A source tells CoachingSearch that TCU assistant Curtis Luper has emerged as a candidate to join Derek Mason's staff at Vanderbilt.

Stanford asst. David Kotulski has accepted the DC position at Vanderbilt.

Vanderbilt: A source tells CoachingSearch that Stanford defensive assistant Vavae Tata will join Derek Mason's staff at Vanderbilt to coach the defensive line. Tata spent the past two seasons as defensive assistant at Stanford after two years as a graduate assistant at San Jose State and two as a student assistant at UCLA.

-----------------------

I think the writing is on the wall in Nashville, Mason is going to recruit nationally. I wouldn't be surprised to see his classes end up nearly 50% with kids from the left coast.-Travelin

Mason On recruiting…
“Just so you know, I’ve recruited the Southeast for at least 8 years. When you look at my career, it speaks to what we look to do and the type of young men we want to have in our program. We’re going to continue to open doors in the South, but we’re going to make sure we take the Vanderbilt brand nationwide – that’s what it is. We’re worldwide, here. Vanderbilt is known across the continent, so we need to know and understand that our mission is global, so let’s make sure we push that way.”
Old 01-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #713
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Vanderbilt: A source tells CoachingSearch that TCU assistant Curtis Luper has emerged as a candidate to join Derek Mason's staff at Vanderbilt.

Stanford asst. David Kotulski has accepted the DC position at Vanderbilt.

Vanderbilt: A source tells CoachingSearch that Stanford defensive assistant Vavae Tata will join Derek Mason's staff at Vanderbilt to coach the defensive line. Tata spent the past two seasons as defensive assistant at Stanford after two years as a graduate assistant at San Jose State and two as a student assistant at UCLA.

-----------------------

I think the writing is on the wall in Nashville, Mason is going to recruit nationally. I wouldn't be surprised to see his classes end up nearly 50% with kids from the left coast.-Travelin

Mason On recruiting…
“Just so you know, I’ve recruited the Southeast for at least 8 years. When you look at my career, it speaks to what we look to do and the type of young men we want to have in our program. We’re going to continue to open doors in the South, but we’re going to make sure we take the Vanderbilt brand nationwide – that’s what it is. We’re worldwide, here. Vanderbilt is known across the continent, so we need to know and understand that our mission is global, so let’s make sure we push that way.”
If he hires Luper wouldn't that seem to indicate he's going to join the race to the bottom when it comes to shady recruiting?
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #714
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
If he hires Luper wouldn't that seem to indicate he's going to join the race to the bottom when it comes to shady recruiting?
Fill me in on Lupar's reputation, I'm not familiar with him. But, I expect them to pull out all the stops to be as competitive as possible.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #715
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Steve Spurrier always knows how to play to his crowd. More than anything else, South Carolina fans love his jabs at Clemson.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=...ots-at-Clemson
Attached Images

Last edited by Travelin; 01-19-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #716
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Washington Redskins: According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, Jay Gruden's contract is for five years and worth more than $20 million, all guaranteed.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:40 AM   #717
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Good lord, recruiting California kids to play in the SEC is a recipe for disaster.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 AM   #718
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Good lord, recruiting California kids to play in the SEC is a recipe for disaster.
Especially with facilities incomparable to SoCal, Stanford & UCLA.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #719
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

'The system for hiring NFL coaches needs to be torn apart and redone'

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=...art-and-redone

I agree 100% with this opinion. I found it very odd with these NFL coaches being interviewed for jobs the week their teams had a play-off game.

I have a new found respect for Ken Whisenhunt. He told them straight up he was too busy preparing for the next game to prepare for an interview.

Maybe we'll see a change next year, but I doubt it.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:54 AM   #720
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
Yeah, since he was recruiting for Chizik at Auburn, I understand your point.

He'll probably be the recruiting coordinator. haha