CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
cocksmith1or11
Badazcock
Gamecockswag
Regalcock
conwaycock2
The Yancey
ESPN Game Day Commen (1196)
Simple "yes&quo (1064)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (835)
Phil Steele just pre (743)
The Comeback & T (728)
TeMarcus Blanton (516)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (511)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
Garcia: Change the R (464)
Wallpaper & Back (226)
Simple "yes" or
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Where in Seattle
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLINA @ A
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
2016 - Avery McCall
TeMarcus Blanton
Phil Steele just predicte

Old 01-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #241
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Starting Qb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
....but almost certainly not at first. He'll be someone that emerges as a starter, if at all. People forget the Marcus didn't start his 1st game and guys like Emanuel Cook and Captain Munnerlyn emerged as starters mid-way during their FR seasons. Alshon did the same.

Starting with TAMU is huge.
They were also true freshman so there is some difference. I'm not saying anyone outside of Thompson or Davis will start Aug 28th but I don't believe it's outside of the realm of possibilities that someone else gets the nod. There's a long time between now and then.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #242
Scfan2605
Walk On

Male

Scfan2605 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
You don't know how much improvement you will see from our other quarterbacks come August. All our QBs have been with team for over a year or two and they ALL should know the offense. And I've seen Dylan Thompson play well, and I have seen the guy struggle, so let's not act like the guy is Peyton Manning.
that's what I was sayin hes basically no farther along then he rest he needs as much practice time as the rest do I personally think mitch will be the starter if no the first game before the season is over and if it aint him it will be noso I don't think Dylan will keep the job myself but that's my opinion and by no means do I think Dylan is peyton manning you miss read what I wrote
Scfan2605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #243
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
Do you speak with Spurrier often? I'm sure he'll take you're opinion on the matter to heart, and discuss it with the other coaches at the meetings before prep-week (August 20~).

Sorry, that was me being an ass.

Connor Shaw started over Garcia in 2011 - his senior year, after Garcia had one of the best seasons as a QB in a long time. Shaw had thrown a total of 23 passes his freshman year.

How do you think he jumped Garcia? By outperforming him in winter workouts, spring practice, and summer camp. The same can be done to Thompson. He can be outperformed. It can happen. Not saying it will, or that I even want it too. But this position is not locked down - no matter how much Spurrier says it is. It's just funny to see all of you defend Thompson like people are insulting him - yet if Mitch straight balls out in the weight room and at Spring Practice/Summer Camp and Thompson doesn't, then half of this board will be "PLAY CONNOR MITCH"...
Half of this board will always want to play the backup QB. That is true with any message board, the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #244
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scfan2605 View Post
that's what I was sayin hes basically no farther along then he rest he needs as much practice time as the rest do I personally think mitch will be the starter if no the first game before the season is over and if it aint him it will be noso I don't think Dylan will keep the job myself but that's my opinion and by no means do I think Dylan is peyton manning you miss read what I wrote
Cool story bro. It's not a lock, the other guys have a chance because Thompson could struggle at some point and certainly is someone so good he couldn't be replaced like a Peyton Manning, but I wouldn't put my money on it. It would take poor performance by Thompson and really good performance by someone else. The disparity would have to be so great that Spurrier would have to become convinced he has a better chance of winning with one of the other QBs than going with the battle tested senior with the nice arm who by all accounts is a leader on and off the field. The only point I am trying to make is, the game is not rigged. The other QBs will get a seriously look and if Thompson leaves the door open they could get their shot.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #245
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
Do you speak with Spurrier often? I'm sure he'll take you're opinion on the matter to heart, and discuss it with the other coaches at the meetings before prep-week (August 20~).

Sorry, that was me being an ass.

Connor Shaw started over Garcia in 2011 - his senior year, after Garcia had one of the best seasons as a QB in a long time. Shaw had thrown a total of 23 passes his freshman year.

How do you think he jumped Garcia? By outperforming him in winter workouts, spring practice, and summer camp. The same can be done to Thompson. He can be outperformed. It can happen. Not saying it will, or that I even want it too. But this position is not locked down - no matter how much Spurrier says it is. It's just funny to see all of you defend Thompson like people are insulting him - yet if Mitch straight balls out in the weight room and at Spring Practice/Summer Camp and Thompson doesn't, then half of this board will be "PLAY CONNOR MITCH"...
In 2011, it wasn't too hard for Shaw to outperform Garcia in the spring because Garcia wasn't there. He missed that entire spring. That gave Shaw the opportunity to showcase himself as the #1 guy while Garcia wasn't there, and I think ultimately that hurt Garcia as we moved into the summer/fall. Barring injury, I fully expect Thompson to take every snap he can in spring practice.

In regards to players balling out, it's fair to think that Dylan will ball out just like Mitch can, although if they both do it, people will still want Mitch to start.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #246
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Who ever performs the best in spring practice and fall camp will start. Spurrier knows it and everybody else should know it as well.

It doesn't cost Spurrier anything to say the job is Thompsons right now because he is the next in line for the job and has experience.

I wont put any stock in who Spurrier says is goin to start at QB until around August 20th
gamecockguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #247
Scfan2605
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Cool story bro. It's not a lock, the other guys have a chance because Thompson could struggle at some point and certainly is someone so good he couldn't be replaced like a Peyton Manning, but I wouldn't put my money on it. It would take poor performance by Thompson and really good performance by someone else. The disparity would have to be so great that Spurrier would have to become convinced he has a better chance of winning with one of the other QBs than going with the battle tested senior with the nice arm who by all accounts is a leader on and off the field. The only point I am trying to make is, the game is not rigged. The other QBs will get a seriously look and if Thompson leaves the door open they could get their shot.
That's the part that gets me his biggest accomplishment is beating Clemson and hitting bruce against Michigan and bruce was wipe open nobody can say that any other qb wouldn't have completed that pass he struggled against ucf and got shut out against missuori mike davis and connor shaw won those games for us Dylan barely completes 50 percent of his passes is prone to throwing a int and skips his passes to the sideline but hell he might win the sec title this year as a starter or he might go 6 n 6 you never know but I if you think spurrier is gonna start him cause he has played in 5 games combined over the others and they have a better off season then him it aint gonna happen hes gonna have to earn it this year is what im saying if he starts its fine with me i'll be cheering him on but I want the man taking the snaps to be the one best fit to make us win I don't care who that is (its my opinion that its not Dylan but hey if he does great I was wrong)
Old 01-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #248
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
That's the part that gets me his biggest accomplishment is beating Clemson and hitting bruce against Michigan and bruce was wipe open nobody can say that any other qb wouldn't have completed that pass he struggled against ucf and got shut out against missuori mike davis and connor shaw won those games for us Dylan barely completes 50 percent of his passes is prone to throwing a int and skips his passes to the sideline but hell he might win the sec title this year as a starter or he might go 6 n 6 you never know but I if you think spurrier is gonna start him cause he has played in 5 games combined over the others and they have a better off season then him it aint gonna happen hes gonna have to earn it this year is what im saying if he starts its fine with me i'll be cheering him on but I want the man taking the snaps to be the one best fit to make us win I don't care who that is (its my opinion that its not Dylan but hey if he does great I was wrong)
1. Try using a period in your posts every now and then.

2. Dylan was 15-27 for 222 yards against Missouri. Those are far from bad numbers. If Mitch were to do that people would be calling him a future Heisman winner.

3. Don't forget about Davis fumbling twice while Dylan was in, once on Missouri's two yard line. But let me guess, that's Dylan's fault too?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #249
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post

2. Dylan was 15-27 for 222 yards against Missouri. Those are far from bad numbers. If Mitch were to do that people would be calling him a future Heisman winner.

3. Don't forget about Davis fumbling twice while Dylan was in, once on Missouri's two yard line. But let me guess, that's Dylan's fault too?
He had some good comments before you decided to go condescending on him.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #250
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
They were also true freshman so there is some difference. I'm not saying anyone outside of Thompson or Davis will start Aug 28th but I don't believe it's outside of the realm of possibilities that someone else gets the nod. There's a long time between now and then.
Oh yea...depends a lot on the position...OL and QBs are the ones that usually take the longest to develop. Aaron Murray started 4 yrs after doing a RS year and looked good as a RS FR, but not many can do that.

But it's not a stretch to see one of the other guys emerging as a starter if they surge ahead of Dylan.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:04 PM   #251
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
He had some good comments before you decided to go condescending on him.
I wouldn't know. I wasn't sure where his comments ended and another one began.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #252
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
I wouldn't know. I wasn't sure where his comments ended and another one began.
But you replied anyway...
Old 01-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #253
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

If Spurrier had said the exact same thing he said the other night but said "Connor Mitch" instead of "Dylan Thompson," would we still be having the same discussion? Would people be saying "done deal, Mitch is the starter, can't wait until the spring," or would people say let's wait until spring practice is done and see how things play out?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #254
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
But you replied anyway...
Yeah, but it was basically a shot in the dark.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #255
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Dylan Thompson is the answer to your question.

We'll also see some flavor of this thread at least a dozen more times during the offseason.

I predict that reports will come out about how Connor Mitch is unstoppable or how our defense can't contain Noso. There will be a rabid segment of posters on here that wonder why Spurrier is so stupid he can't see the future Heisman winner right in front of him.

People will get butthurt.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #256
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
If Spurrier had said the exact same thing he said the other night but said "Connor Mitch" instead of "Dylan Thompson," would we still be having the same discussion? Would people be saying "done deal, Mitch is the starter, can't wait until the spring," or would people say let's wait until spring practice is done and see how things play out?
Yes because people would want Thompson rewarded for sticking around or Nosovitch because of his skillset being similar to Shaw.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #257
Scfan2605
Walk On

Male

Quote:

1. I never said Dylan had a bad game I said he didn't put points on the board

2. I see you failed to mention Dylan was 9-21 against UCF

3. Fumbles are a part of the game. Everybody has turnovers. That was to drives how many more did he have in that game. Wasn't it late in the 3rd when Spurrier put Shaw in?

4. Im not team noso team mitch or team Dylan. I want whoever gives us the best chance to win to start. My opinion is it might not be Dylan(but if it is I was wrong and I will eat crow).

5. But if you think he's a dead lock I wouldn't be to sure about that.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #258
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
1. I never said Dylan had a bad game I said he didn't put points on the board

2. I see you failed to mention Dylan was 9-21 against UCF

3. Fumbles are a part of the game. Everybody has turnovers. That was to drives how many more did he have in that game. Wasn't it late in the 3rd when Spurrier put Shaw in?

4. Im not team noso team mitch or team Dylan. I want whoever gives us the best chance to win to start. My opinion is it might not be Dylan(but if it is I was wrong and I will eat crow).

5. But if you think he's a dead lock I wouldn't be to sure about that.
You're right, he did struggle against UCF. Did you forget about the big pass to Damiere Byrd that set up a TD to give us the lead? He didn't have great numbers, but he made a play when he had to.

Fumbles are part of the game. That said, if Davis doesn't fumble on the two, we do put up points with Thompson in the game.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #259
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Three quarters and no points when your replacement comes in a scores 17 in one quarter is a bad game regardless of numbers. That is not to say he played poorly. He made throws just not the ones that would have led us to points. He overthrew a couple of TDs. Good QBs have bad games. He had one. He completes a lower percentage than Shaw because he attempts lower percentage passes for longer yardage. My personal opinion is that Thompson will be much improved once he becomes the guy and takes the majority of snaps every week. I think we will see him be more consistent. That is the reason why is being proclaimed QB, no one is forseeing him going in the tank. They are only seeing him getting better or being about the same.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #260
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Dylan Thompson is the answer to your question.

We'll also see some flavor of this thread at least a dozen more times during the offseason.

I predict that reports will come out about how Connor Mitch is unstoppable or how our defense can't contain Noso. There will be a rabid segment of posters on here that wonder why Spurrier is so stupid he can't see the future Heisman winner right in front of him.

People will get butthurt.

The spring is normally for the younger players to play. Typically the seniors don't do as much. I am curious to see how Spurrier plays it with Dylan since he is a senior but hasn't started that much.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote