CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
GarnetSwarm1990
doubledribble
Lonnie
Cocks N Stuff
johnnyb
El Cid Ranger
So Disappointed With (2014)
Rank the QBs under S (1455)
Back like cooked cra (1059)
Tennessee game (678)
Who start on the d l (643)
No Comments on the H (501)
Google finally gets (471)
Squats (379)
lack of production= (377)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (185)
Call of Duty: Advanced Wa
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
So Disappointed With The
Thoughts on the basketbal
Back like cooked crack
Why I think we beat Aubur
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Rank the QBs under Spurri
7 on 7 flag football bloc

Old 01-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #261
Scfan2605
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Scfan2605 has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Starting Qb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
You're right, he did struggle against UCF. Did you forget about the big pass to Damiere Byrd that set up a TD to give us the lead? He didn't have great numbers, but he made a play when he had to.

Fumbles are part of the game. That said, if Davis doesn't fumble on the two, we do put up points with Thompson in the game.
So it was Davis's fault we didn't score while Dylan was in against Missouri but Dylan completing that pass won us the game against UFC? Did you forgot about the second half that Davis had? That pass means nothing if it wasn't for that. Look I do like to argue about stuff like this and we could go on and on my point being as good as yours. All I was trying to say is anything can happen. Would it hurt my feelings if Dylan won the Heisman trophy why hell no it wouldn't. I don't care who starts long as they give us the best chance to win. My opinion was it might not be Dylan and a give a few reasons why I thought that. I've just never been sold on Dylan and what's wrong with someone else getting the shot if he earns it.
Scfan2605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #262
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 436
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Threads like this make the off season 10X longer.....
Old 01-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #263
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Holy crap! I could have sworn the title of this thread was, "Shaw/Thompson discussion thread," but I guess I misread it. My mistake, but it's good to know people are almost as bad in here, so my misunderstanding is reasonable, I think.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:16 PM   #264
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Half of this board will always want to play the backup QB. That is true with any message board, the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team.
True. But I haven't seen many people on this board backing Mitch or Nosovitch to start. I'm sure there are people out there that believe they should start, but I think the majority of post on the topic have been pro-Thompson and simply stating that the position is not "locked".

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
In 2011, it wasn't too hard for Shaw to outperform Garcia in the spring because Garcia wasn't there. He missed that entire spring. That gave Shaw the opportunity to showcase himself as the #1 guy while Garcia wasn't there, and I think ultimately that hurt Garcia as we moved into the summer/fall. Barring injury, I fully expect Thompson to take every snap he can in spring practice.

In regards to players balling out, it's fair to think that Dylan will ball out just like Mitch can, although if they both do it, people will still want Mitch to start.
Very true, and I agree. I'm hoping that all three ball out, and if that is the case then Thompson will be the starter. But I'm not agreeing with anyone that says (even Spurrier) this position is "locked" when even he (Spurrier) knows it's not. It is a moral booster for Thompson to say it's his job. It is...it's his job to keep, or his job to lose. Mitch and Nosovitch will compete at the highest of levels to try and take it away from Thompson. Thompson can have a great off-season, spring, and summer to keep his job. But you're (not you specifically, anyone) kidding yourself if you believe Spurrier is giving Thompson the job regardless of his off-season, spring, and/or summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
They were also true freshman so there is some difference. I'm not saying anyone outside of Thompson or Davis will start Aug 28th but I don't believe it's outside of the realm of possibilities that someone else gets the nod. There's a long time between now and then.
Exactly. I don't know what is so hard to understand about this. No matter how much anyone loves <Player Name Here>, it is that specific players duty to keep his starting position (or earn it) in the off-season.

Dylan is expected to be the starter next season. He's the leader of the offense and team on and off the field. However, he is not light years ahead of Mitch or Nosovitch in talent. It is Dylan's duty to work hard enough to keep his posistion as #1 on the depth chart. It is not impossible to be over taken.

That's the only thing being said, yet people are still trying to argue that it is an immortal lock, guaranteed 100% that Dylan Thompson takes every snap this season. I just don't understand how anyone can be that closed minded.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #265
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 436
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...40119373/1037/
Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #266
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

2 Jr. QB's going into 2015.

I'll take that.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #267
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Dylan is our guy, but to me Connor Mitch has shown the worth ethic to be the number 2 guy. All that can change in an instant, but it is just my own personal opinion.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #268
5lbYardcock
Two Deep

Male

5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

Cooper.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #269
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lbYardcock View Post
Cooper.
I predict Cooper to be not only our Wildcat QB for the next 2 years, but one hell of a wide receiver.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #270
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I predict Cooper to be not only our Wildcat QB for the next 2 years, but one hell of a wide receiver.
No way. Scott is going to be the wildcock qb next year. I kid, I kid.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 AM   #271
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Spring football will settle a lot of debates this year.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #272
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Starting Qb next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockguy View Post
I think it'll be Nosovitch so that we can continue to run the read option plays.

Neither Thompson or Mitch are the type of QB to run that play
I can't help it. I LOVE the read option.

I'd hate to give up that side of our game.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #273
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
No way. Scott is going to be the wildcock qb next year. I kid, I kid.
Scott? Which Scott?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #274
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 View Post
Spring football will settle a lot of debates this year.
I hope this is true but a full season of the best qb play we've had in at least a decade didn't end the shaw/DT debate for a number of folks.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #275
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
Scott? Which Scott?
it was a joke and derrell.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #276
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpillerTime View Post
So what makes you think Connor Mitch gives South Carolina a better chance to win? Was it something in all the games you watched him play? Do you really think you can evaluate QBs better than Spurrier?

I'm sorry but if your comparing Mitch to one of the best college football quarterbacks in the history of the game (Winston) then you are looking through Garnet color glasses. And for the record, I think Mitch is going to be good.
first winston is NOT one of the best qb's in the history of the sport. he is a good qb, who played in a pathetic conference. he looked awful against auburn in the championship game. everyone wants to give him credit, but he stunk it up for three and a half quarters, and still didn't do anything great on the final drive, the wr's did. his td pass was very high, but the wr just went up and got it. fsu would surely have run out of time if it weren't for a great move on the wr, on a very short pass, to go down field for fifty plus yards.

and you have no idea if mitch is better/worse than winston right now. many would have questioned a fsu fan, if they said winston would win the heisman over jonny football before last season, also. so don't try to say it like it is a foregone conclusion. we never know how talented a freshman is until he gets on the field and shows it. and mitch was highly ranked coming out of hs. so considering how quickly he picked things up last season, give the guy a chance.

as for thompson being the starting qb, what do you think sos is going to say? he needs to build up thompson's confidence, as we saw how thompson regressed this last year, compared to the season before. but i guarantee you that if mitch comes out and kills it in the spring and fall, he will start. the point is that so many on here seem to want one guy to start over another, no matter the situation. that is insane. when i voiced my opinion that i believe mitch will overtake thompson, i didn't say that is who i wanted to be the starter. i just believe he is a lot more talented, and that mitch out performed thompson in preseason camp last season. if he can do that then, imagine what he can do with a full year in the system.

now, that being said, if thompson kicks ass, and becomes the solid starter, then i am all for it. because at the end of the day, sos knows what he is doing. and just like i tried to tell all the thompson lovers last preseason, when they were arguing that thompson should be the starter over shaw (hilarious as that was), sos will play the one who gives us the best chance to win. he see's these guys a lot more than we do, and he has a little experience with this position. i think sos is just saying what he is right now, because he wants to give thompson, the most experienced of the three, confidence to work his ass off during the off-season, which will give us the best chance to have the most experienced of the qb's taking snaps. but as i said, when and if, mitch or noso out perform thompson, sos will play them instead. this has been shown time and time again.
snoopcockycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #277
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
I hope this is true but a full season of the best qb play we've had in at least a decade didn't end the shaw/DT debate for a number of folks.
Best QB play in at least a decade? Try EVER, man. 24 TDs, 1 interception...another 6 TDs rushing.

If you think we've EVER had another quarterback play that well for a season, in any decade, you're mistaken.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #278
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
Best QB play in at least a decade? Try EVER, man. 24 TDs, 1 interception...another 6 TDs rushing.

If you think we've EVER had another quarterback play that well for a season,in any decade, you're mistaken.
If unpopular opinions didn't get so much heat on this site, I would give you a good read on a reason why people may think differently. But I would post it and get a million "your stooopid" comments back.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:24 PM   #279
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Dylan is our guy, but to me Connor Mitch has shown the worth ethic to be the number 2 guy. All that can change in an instant, but it is just my own personal opinion.
They are supposed to be ALL our guys.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #280
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
so don't try to say it like it is a foregone conclusion. we never know how talented a freshman is until he gets on the field and shows it. and mitch was highly ranked coming out of hs. so considering how quickly he picked things up last season, give the guy a chance.
Exactly! It's amazing how peoples opinions change on a player when they want someone else to start at their position. When Mitch signed here Gamecock fans were going crazy on this board. "Spurrier got his QB" people said. I guess he isn't his QB anymore? And all this talk about "Well Thompson's a senior and Mitch is only a RS-FR" is bologna. Shaw was a Sophomore with MINIMAL playing experience when he took over, and there were people on this board who wanted him to start as a FRESHMAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
as for thompson being the starting qb, what do you think sos is going to say? he needs to build up thompson's confidence, as we saw how thompson regressed this last year, compared to the season before. but i guarantee you that if mitch comes out and kills it in the spring and fall, he will start. the point is that so many on here seem to want one guy to start over another, no matter the situation. that is insane. when i voiced my opinion that i believe mitch will overtake thompson, i didn't say that is who i wanted to be the starter. i just believe he is a lot more talented, and that mitch out performed thompson in preseason camp last season. if he can do that then, imagine what he can do with a full year in the system.

now, that being said, if thompson kicks ass, and becomes the solid starter, then i am all for it. because at the end of the day, sos knows what he is doing. and just like i tried to tell all the thompson lovers last preseason, when they were arguing that thompson should be the starter over shaw (hilarious as that was), sos will play the one who gives us the best chance to win. he see's these guys a lot more than we do, and he has a little experience with this position. i think sos is just saying what he is right now, because he wants to give thompson, the most experienced of the three, confidence to work his ass off during the off-season, which will give us the best chance to have the most experienced of the qb's taking snaps. but as i said, when and if, mitch or noso out perform thompson, sos will play them instead. this has been shown time and time again.

No! If you even dare say anything about Thompson potentially not starting you are just WRONG! (Sarcasm). I agree on all points and this is exactly what I've been stating in all threads based around this topic.

People are flat-out lying to themselves if they believe SOS is just going to start Thompson because he said he would on January 19~. If Mitch/Nosovitch come out dominating in Spring Ball, Summer Camp and Thompson doesn't, you better bet your ass on it that Spurrier is going to keep giving them shots to show themselves. And you know what, if it continues, Dylan may start on August 28th, but he may not start the rest of the game, or the rest of the season.

You play the best man for the job. Right now? Sure Dylan is the guy - but that is subject to change. Dylan has to keep his position, he's not the imortal lock at QB that people think he is. Am I pulling for him? Damn right I am. Having the leader of not only the offense but the team in general on the field is absolutely beautiful. But he's got to work to keep it. I'm pulling for whomever Spurrier puts out there. I hope it's Dylan but if Spurrier starts Mitch, Orth, Nosovitch, Cooper, Dixon, or Patrick ****ing Fish then well damn they get my vote of confidence too..