CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
5lbYardcock
18IsTheMan
ZenUSC
The Yancey
b381l
evan_aggie
conwaycock2
bigdog2003
GSC2013
Do we have any shot (2907)
Carolina opens -15.5 (2272)
What changes can and (1796)
Shaw: Check Out This (1616)
Gamecock football Lo (1501)
Don't tell me we don (1335)
Gamecocks claimed an (1232)
Tanner McEvoy should (1160)
SOS Teleconference (1158)
who thinks we need a (960)
My Observations About USC
Gamecock football Long Te
MLS almost ready for play
Gamecocks D staff reveal
What changes can and will
Do we have any shot again
The Demise of the 3-4
Mike Davis "doubtful
SOS Teleconference
Connor Shaw Browns

Old 01-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #61
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Clowney vows to put up "amazing" numbers at the NFL Combine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
Gets drafted 3rd, has a nice 8 year career, never gets in trouble, moves back to SC.
And has lots of fun being just being Jadeveon Clowney.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #62
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talonsSR4-AJ1 has developed his gaff and talons

I could see Houston taking him. Lets not forget Matt Schaub (SP) was a pro bowl quarterback last year. He did have an AWFUL year, but maybe he can bounce back. They could hope and if not they have one of the best prospects to come out of college in atleast a decade.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #63
Gamecocks1137
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

I don't care what Kiper says. Clowney is getting drafted by the Texans, it is already written in stone to me. If he is not, then I was wrong. I haven't been this sure of something in a while.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:35 PM   #64
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

The paparazzi catches Clowney rubbing elbows with Bill O'brien at the Sr Bowl....

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #65
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Honestly, the test I hope Clowney does well on is.....

The Wonderlic test.

Just to shut the tigers up about his intelligence. If his agent is smart, and I think he is, he'll have do an equal amount of studying and practicing for that one as well as the physical stuff.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #66
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Honestly, the test I hope Clowney does well on is.....

The Wonderlic test.

Just to shut the tigers up about his intelligence. If his agent is smart, and I think he is, he'll have do an equal amount of studying and practicing for that one as well as the physical stuff.
If I remember right, somebody posted some sample questions from the Wonderlic back when CJ Spiller bombed it. It didn't seem that hard.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #67
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocky0 View Post
If I remember right, somebody posted some sample questions from the Wonderlic back when CJ Spiller bombed it. It didn't seem that hard.
The questions themselves are not that hard, but the time clock makes it difficult.

http://footballiqscore.com/

Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #68
cocky0
The Slurp

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 26100000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
The questions themselves are not that hard, but the time clock makes it difficult.

http://footballiqscore.com/
Yeah I guess that would make a difference, especially if no calculators are allowed.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #69
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

The draft isn't as need-driven as some of you think. Many teams draft the best player available, and with someone like Clowney who is arguably a generational talent, you're going to see GMs far more willing to take him even if he isn't a "need." The risk of passing on him is far greater than the risk of drafting him.

That being said, I don't know anything about how the Texans' front office operates. I could definitely see him going first overall, but they do need a QB so who knows. The combine should clear some things up.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:21 PM   #70
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurz View Post
The draft isn't as need-driven as some of you think. Many teams draft the best player available, and with someone like Clowney who is arguably a generational talent, you're going to see GMs far more willing to take him even if he isn't a "need." The risk of passing on him is far greater than the risk of drafting him.

That being said, I don't know anything about how the Texans' front office operates. I could definitely see him going first overall, but they do need a QB so who knows. The combine should clear some things up.
It isn't totally based on needs, but it also isn't totally based on "best player avaliable". Teams with crucial needs will draft there needs unless there is a player that is just too good to pass up. The Texans know how good of a position they're in. They need a QB, but there simply isn't a guaranteed lock (in the eyes of analyst right now) as a "franchise QB". So they could go either way with their draft pick - a QB who has the potential to be great, or a DE who is a physically dominating specimen.

The problem here is that the Texans don't neccarily need Clowney, but they do need a QB. It will be interesting to see what option they choose, and that is one that we will not know for a while. The combine will unfold a lot of these questionable teams that could pick up Clowney in the draft, because a lot of the top 10 picks need a QB. The ones that don't (Rams) need recievers and offensive linemen. It's impossible to "guarantee" that a player gets drafted at X position in the draft because of these options that teams could take.

Do I think Clowney is obviously a talent that isn't seen that often? Yes, but there is also questions about his work ethic and injury history. Shit, look at these boards for that alone! People freak the **** out during game weeks about if "the real Clowney" will show up! You think the NFL GM's didn't notice that on their own?

If Clowney does really well at the combine, meaning doesn't come in over weight, runs well in the 40, does well with the lift, and doesn't fail his interviews or wonderlic score (which is overrated, sure) then he will definitely increase his chances of getting drafted by the Texans. But if Manziel, Bridgewater, or any other QB amazes Bill O'Brien (a offensive minded coach), Rick Smith (Texans GM), and Bob McNair then there is no way to "guarantee" anything.

I'm hoping that he does get drafted first overall just for the significance of it, but it's not that important otherwise when you're talking about a talent that is almost guaranteed to go in the first round.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #71
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Why would anyone take one of these top 5 QB first in the draft.....there are no Andrew Luck's there....and if you miss, you're in big trouble. Taking a DE is far less risky especially one that would have been drafted out of HS if the rules had allowed it.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:17 AM   #72
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

I dont think he has the work ethic to be great but he will definitely be an above average DE at the next level.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:25 AM   #73
Gamecocks1137
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ View Post
I dont think he has the work ethic to be great but he will definitely be an above average DE at the next level.
Money can make some people gain a huge work ethic.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:13 AM   #74
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Why would anyone take one of these top 5 QB first in the draft.....there are no Andrew Luck's there....and if you miss, you're in big trouble. Taking a DE is far less risky especially one that would have been drafted out of HS if the rules had allowed it.
Because, no offense, unless you're the GM of the Texans, Raiders, Browns, Jaguars, etc. then your opinion of the QB is worthless. Same as mine, or any other poster on this board. They are the people in positions to declare if a QB is draft-worthy or not.

After the combine is finished, if one, or multiple, of the draftable QB's perform really well - that will be a decision they have to make. It looks like a risk right now, and I agree, but these teams are looking out for their futures too. The NFL is a passing league, teams live and die by the play of their QB. The Texans gave up on Matt Schaub and are left without a clear picture at that position. Like it's been said, unless Bill O'Brien, Rick Smith, and Bob McNair can lock up a QB via a trade, or free agency, then you can definitely look for them to seek for one during the draft. Will they use that pick in the first round? Maybe not, maybe so.

I think the free agent market opens on March 11th. The draft isn't until May 8th. That leaves plenty of time for not only Clowney to impress, but these QB's you (or I) don't believe in to be "franchise" type athletes to impress as well. There's a lot of times between now and then, and plenty of oppertunity to increase, and decrease draft stock. By May 8th, Clowney could be the clear-cut #1 overall pick - but so could Manziel, Bridgewater, or any other QB that is on the market. Only time will tell.