CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
Cockypantherfan
SMOTFS86
U-Dub Gamecock
b381l
CoverTwo
smoovecock
kabercr2
B-G
Spurrier on Pharoah: (3719)
USC/clemson spread (1563)
In case no one saw.. (1316)
injury report? (922)
Odell Becham Catch (617)
A little late to the (605)
Bowl projections (555)
Why has there been 4 (480)
Tiger Burn (463)
2010 Clemson-Carolin (320)
Texas A&M Defense
Bowl projections
SC Women #1 in AP Poll
Charlotte Hornet Basketba
USC/clemson spread
Texans getting frustrated
2014-15 Premier League se
The Defense
what if?
Question about after the

Old 01-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #101
chaostheorysc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900
chaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudly
Default Re: Clip of Frank Martin Yelling

I love how everyone loves to say that the "kids" need to toughen up, then turn around and say they're grown men, they should be able to handle it.

A. It's easy to say that crap when it's someone else's kid. You'd have a different opinion if it were yours.

B. What would you do if you messed up on a project at work or a test and your boss/professor came and got in your face and called you an "f'ing bum"?

Personally, I'd introduce their teeth to their stomach, unless they were man enough to keep me from doing it. Either way, we'd find out who the real man was.

Besides, a 5 year old can drop f bombs and throw a tantrum. I'm beginning to wonder if our coach is the biggest "kid" on the whole damn team.
chaostheorysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #102
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
Frank is a lot more animated and direct than your typical college coach, but let's not be naive and act like this doesn't go on at every program. It's a sensitive topic. 55-year-old coaches cursing out 18 and 19 year olds. It's what they sign up for when they go to schoool

He was wrong and went to Brenton directly and apologized. He owned up to it and likely will try to manage his emotions better.
He didn't apologize for cursing though. You don't really know what he said that he apologized for. It's between him and Williams. Someone said foul language is not acceptable in the world. Umm... yes it is. It is not always accepted everywhere, but it is accepted plenty of forums, and sports is one of those forums.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #103
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaostheorysc View Post
I love how everyone loves to say that the "kids" need to toughen up, then turn around and say they're grown men, they should be able to handle it.

A. It's easy to say that crap when it's someone else's kid. You'd have a different opinion if it were yours.

B. What would you do if you messed up on a project at work or a test and your boss/professor came and got in your face and called you an "f'ing bum"?

Personally, I'd introduce their teeth to their stomach, unless they were man enough to keep me from doing it. Either way, we'd find out who the real man was.

Besides, a 5 year old can drop f bombs and throw a tantrum. I'm beginning to wonder if our coach is the biggest "kid" on the whole damn team.
Like I said, different forums have different standards and customs. You don't like cursing and yelling. Great we get you. Plenty of people don't mind it, and a lot of people out there even DO like it.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #104
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:

I find this whole argument of "well, if it was MY KID.." or "he wouldn't talk to MY KID that way..." hilarious. It just reinforces the whole notion of wanting to coddle these "kids". "OMG, noone is going to swear at MY KID... can you imagine if that was MY KID, OMG, I'd fight the coach! I'd make him transfer!"

How about let your 18-22 year old "kid" take care of himself and make his own decisions. Give me a break.

Personally, I wish that the basketball team would hold a fan appreciation day where everyone waits in line to get 30 seconds of the "stare and scream" treatment from Frank one on one, complete with F bombs and such deep, abrasive insults as "bum".
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #105
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I find this whole argument of "well, if it was MY KID.." or "he wouldn't talk to MY KID that way..." hilarious. It just reinforces the whole notion of wanting to coddle these "kids". "OMG, noone is going to swear at MY KID... can you imagine if that was MY KID, OMG, I'd fight the coach! I'd make him transfer!"

How about let your 18-22 year old "kid" take care of himself and make his own decisions. Give me a break.

Personally, I wish that the basketball team would hold a fan appreciation day where everyone waits in line to get 30 seconds of the "stare and scream" treatment from Frank one on one, complete with F bombs and such deep, abrasive insults as "bum".
He didn't say bum. He said you're a effing bove it.
baitandswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #106
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitandswitch View Post
He didn't say bum. He said you're a effing bove it.
He clearly said "I f***ing love Jimmy Buffett"

Last edited by Cock Kool-Aid; 01-23-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #107
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
He clearly said "I f***ing love Jimmy Buffet"
That's obvious. Buffett has a potty mouth too.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #108
chaostheorysc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900
chaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudly

Quote:

First off, that clip obviously isn't the comment in question. He wasn't even talking to Brenton. Frank is who he is...for him to even apologize like he did, he knows he crossed the line. I don't have a problem with the language. Hell, I'm quite the potty mouth myself at times. It's the personal attacks when you know the kid can't really fight back that I have a problem with.

Also, I love the comparison people keep throwing out with the military and "toughening guys up". I do see a similarity. In both cases, you have grown men talking trash to 18-22 yo kids who are in a position where they can't really fight back. Go out in the real world, try that crap and see how long you last.
chaostheorysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #109
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Sooner or later someone is going to snap and whip his ass. Or at least call his bluff and confront him right back and try him. Then we'll see what Martin is made of. I want to see him get into a physical altercation on the sidelines with a player, and the two of them go at it unrestrained. That way all this debate shit will be for nothing and he & the player can settle it the way it's supposed to be settled. Street justice
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #110
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Sooner or later someone is going to snap and whip his ass. Or at least call his bluff and confront him right back and try him. Then we'll see what Martin is made of. I want to see him get into a physical altercation on the sidelines with a player, and the two of them go at it unrestrained. That way all this debate shit will be for nothing and he & the player can settle it the way it's supposed to be settled. Street justice
I'd like to see you stop posting.. but that's not gonna happen either.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #111
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
First off, that clip obviously isn't the comment in question. He wasn't even talking to Brenton. Frank is who he is...for him to even apologize like he did, he knows he crossed the line. I don't have a problem with the language. Hell, I'm quite the potty mouth myself at times. It's the personal attacks when you know the kid can't really fight back that I have a problem with.

Also, I love the comparison people keep throwing out with the military and "toughening guys up". I do see a similarity. In both cases, you have grown men talking trash to 18-22 yo kids who are in a position where they can't really fight back. Go out in the real world, try that crap and see how long you last.
18 year olds are legal adults not kids. Get over it.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #112
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Anyone who is shocked and surprised about this obviously doesn't know that this is who Frank Martin is. The difference between him and a lot of other coaches out there is that he seems to genuinely care about these players and want them to not only succeed, but excel. Go look up some videos from when he was at a prior school. The players laugh about it and even do impressions. It's just who he is.

I will say also that as someone who has coached high school and at the college club level, the most frustrating thing in the world is knowing how good a player is and having them fall short of that potential.

If indeed this is too much and uncalled for, then the players always have the option to leave the team.

Someone also made a good point about how close the players and coaches are to the fans. While that makes sense, to me it goes back to not being ignorant as to who we hired to coach. Obviously if you have a choice for season tickets and plan on bringing kids, probably behind the USC bench isn't the best place. It kind of it is what it is in that regard though. Hopefully though we'll start winning so the tirades will decrease.
thekob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #113
thekob
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
18 year olds are legal
yeah they are....

Sorry, forgot which forum I was in.
thekob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #114
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 996351
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Martin is a pretty big guy. Street justice? If a player decides to bolt and hit the coach, that shows his character already.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #115
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 224722
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Maybe that's what he "signed up for".

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #116
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 26222586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Aww...he yelled at de poor widdle pwayers and now some of our fans have sand in dere baginas.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #117
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

He's definitely an in your face kinda coach. If you grew up playing sports you know some coaching styles work better for certain players and others work for other players. They players know what they get with him.

Majority of young athletes are of the alpha male mentality. A lot don't mind tough coaching because they respond to it.

Personally I couldn't play for Coach Martin because I never responded to the in your face yelling at me. It never made me play better. Just pissed me off.

As long as he is actually coaching and not just yelling then I have no problem with it.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #118
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
I'd like to see you stop posting.. but that's not gonna happen either.
And you've been here for about a year. I must be some kind of asshole then!
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #119
GarnetSwarm1990
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 738
GarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudlyGarnetSwarm1990 is crowing loudly

Quote:
No player would ever do that because then their basketball career would be over. No coach in the country would give then another opportunity after getting into a fist fight with a coach. No player is that dumb.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #120
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Aww...he yelled at de poor widdle pwayers and now some of our fans have sand in dere baginas.
I don't give a rats ass if he yells at players, throws chairs, or whatever he wants to do as long as he starts winning some games. The problem is the routine isn't working so far.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote