CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Ahmad
jrussjr
b381l
cocky-K
eightohhthree
SC Sandlapper
Spur's Addiction
Goofyboy
HeadCockFan
Clem5on fans are bes (2647)
Defensive personnel (1585)
Mizzou Depth Chart v (1550)
7:30 kickoff for Ken (1422)
Defense not an issue (1316)
Cack's Toast of the (927)
Brawl at 49ers/Cardi (879)
I guess we don't get (866)
Legitimate, Unbiased (865)
Antonio Allen vs Als (603)
On the other hand
Kendrick salley
Brawl at 49ers/Cardinals
Antonio Allen vs Alshon J
Look who's at the bottom
Defense not an issue....
Let's talk about Maty Mau
Chromecast
why we're in this positio
Christian Walker called u

Old 01-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material
Default Starting a suit wardrobe

I think there was a thread on this a while back, but I used the search function and could not find it- I apologize. Also, I know that there are probably more relevant forums for this kind of question, but I remember reading some helpful information the last time a thread of this type was on here.

To the point, I am wanting to build a wardrobe of nicer clothing, specifically some suits. Although my work allows us to dress pretty casually (golfshirt, khakis, sperries, etc), I am considering "dressing for the job I want, not the one I have". I assume that if I want to be able to wear a suit every day, that I will need atleast 5 different suits (please correct me if there's a more sensible way to go about this). I've recently purchased a pretty basic charcoal suit at Mens Wearhouse on Harbison (in Columbia), and it ended up being a little over $300 after alterations. I asked them about their BOGO, and they said that only applies to the more expensive suits, which start around $500/suit. Does anyone have recommendations for a better value? I am looking mainly for value, not necessarily a premium suit, being as my job is not one that requires hobknobbing with wealthy executives or anything even close to that. That being said, I do want something that has a stylish/slim appearance.

So, my question is- is Mens Wearhouse the best value? Should I go Joseph A Banks? Maybe something else? Also, I already have a charcoal suit, and I'd like to add a blue and black for sure. What other recommendations do you all have? Thanks in advance for your input.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material
Default Re: Starting a suit wardrobe

My recommendations are to (1) go to a store and get measured, (2) buy online, and (3) find your own tailor.

(1) because you need to make sure you're getting the right size, obviously.
(2) because you will ABSOLUTELY find a better deal on good suits. If you're not sure what exactly the suit looks like, go in-store and make sure you like it; then buy it online.
(3) because most store tailors charge extra if you don't buy the suit there - this includes paying more for buying from their store online. If you buy a JoAB suit online, the in-store tailoring costs more than if you bought the suit at that specific location.

As a final note, when buying a suit that's lighter in color, make sure you know how light/dark it is. Some of the "charcoal" suits you see online have a lot of light on them in the picture, and you'll be disappointed when they come in looking more black than grey.

Good luck!

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I think there was a thread on this a while back, but I used the search function and could not find it- I apologize. Also, I know that there are probably more relevant forums for this kind of question, but I remember reading some helpful information the last time a thread of this type was on here.

To the point, I am wanting to build a wardrobe of nicer clothing, specifically some suits. Although my work allows us to dress pretty casually (golfshirt, khakis, sperries, etc), I am considering "dressing for the job I want, not the one I have". I assume that if I want to be able to wear a suit every day, that I will need atleast 5 different suits (please correct me if there's a more sensible way to go about this). I've recently purchased a pretty basic charcoal suit at Mens Wearhouse on Harbison (in Columbia), and it ended up being a little over $300 after alterations. I asked them about their BOGO, and they said that only applies to the more expensive suits, which start around $500/suit. Does anyone have recommendations for a better value? I am looking mainly for value, not necessarily a premium suit, being as my job is not one that requires hobknobbing with wealthy executives or anything even close to that. That being said, I do want something that has a stylish/slim appearance.

So, my question is- is Mens Wearhouse the best value? Should I go Joseph A Banks? Maybe something else? Also, I already have a charcoal suit, and I'd like to add a blue and black for sure. What other recommendations do you all have? Thanks in advance for your input.
I've got a couple of suits from Joseph A. Banks over the years and they have held up really well. They aren't Armani but pretty good quality for the price. I would wait until they have one of their specials on and then snag a couple.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
soccerguy79
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 465
soccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervous

Depends on body style. I have really broad shoulders so hard to go to normal store to buy. You might want to think about a tailor there are a lot that will come to you. A good place to go and get really good deals is Dillards. They have a sale at least once a year and some really nice suits at really good prices. Another place is Brooks Brothers and their outlet store.
soccerguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

I recently had my measurements done at Mens Wearhouse (obviously), so I suppose that next time I go in there to pick up my suit I could ask them to provide me with my measurements. Hopefully they could print something off for me.

This brings me to another question... I had to get a specific suit from them because I'm in a bridal party that is booked through them. I went in to the store, they took my measurements and then had to order the suit because they were out of stock of it at that location. I went back in a week later to try it on for tailoring and the thing must have had a 28 waist on it (I'm a 32 at best). I could barely get the pants on and he said they would take it out for me no problem, but the alterations ended up costing slightly more than originally estimated. Is this normal practice? Why wouldn't they order a suit with my correct waist size? Is it a good idea to take a waist out that much? The whole thing just struck me as odd.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #6
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 470000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

I just bought 2 nice suits from Jos A Banks and am very pleased. Went to Men's Warehouse and their stuff was junk compared to JAB.

I would suggest going to their website and signing up for their email list since they have sales all the time. Just be prepared to get inundated with emails...they're a little too aggressive with their marketing and I had to unsubscribe once I bought my suits.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Also, not sure if you ever get a chance to travel out of the country, but that can be a great oppurtunity to get some quality suits cheaper than here. One of my brothers has to travel extensively in South America and has been able to get some really nice custom made suits for about $200 each.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Joseph A Bank is good because you can buy one suit for like $700, but you end up getting 3 for that price. You've seen the commercials... they have deals all the time.

I would definitely go with a black, charcoal/grey, blue, and brown/light brown colors. It's a good idea that you are thinking of getting suits because you never know when a situation will arise where you end up needing one.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
Smashies_AC30
The Garnet Invasion

Male

Smashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPit

Don't go with cuffed pants, go straight. Narrow lapels, but not too narrow. Slim taper ties, but not pencil straight. Straight leg style pants; Jos Bank is finally acknowledging these trends, since for so long they've only offered what I call "parachute pants" with way too low inseams and way too big of an opening and width if their pant legs.
Smashies_AC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
Smashies_AC30
The Garnet Invasion

Male

Smashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPitSmashies_AC30 rules the CockPit

The key is knowing your silhouette and getting suits that fit your silhouette. Also know that getting a suit with shoulders too big means you can't alter the shoulders down, unlike other parts if a jacket. Charcoal and navy are staples, but don't be afraid to go glen plaid. Great looks to be had there.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I recently had my measurements done at Mens Wearhouse (obviously), so I suppose that next time I go in there to pick up my suit I could ask them to provide me with my measurements. Hopefully they could print something off for me.

This brings me to another question... I had to get a specific suit from them because I'm in a bridal party that is booked through them. I went in to the store, they took my measurements and then had to order the suit because they were out of stock of it at that location. I went back in a week later to try it on for tailoring and the thing must have had a 28 waist on it (I'm a 32 at best). I could barely get the pants on and he said they would take it out for me no problem, but the alterations ended up costing slightly more than originally estimated. Is this normal practice? Why wouldn't they order a suit with my correct waist size? Is it a good idea to take a waist out that much? The whole thing just struck me as odd.
I'm no tailor or expert on the matter, but 4 inches being let out of a brand new pair of suit pants seems very extreme to me especially considering you have an average sized waist. I don't think I would accept that suit from them or at the very least would expect the alterations to be free. I think they may be trying to take advantage of the fact that you are part of a wedding party and pretty much have to get your suit there.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #12
Smashies_AC30
The Garnet Invasion

Male

They don't do odd numbers in suiting, but if you want to treat yourself to a step or two above Jo's bank, go to banana republic
Old 01-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #13
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
I'm no tailor or expert on the matter, but 4 inches being let out of a brand new pair of suit pants seems very extreme to me especially considering you have an average sized waist. I don't think I would accept that suit from them or at the very least would expect the alterations to be free. I think they may be trying to take advantage of the fact that you are part of a wedding party and pretty much have to get your suit there.
That's sort of what I was thinking. I'm not sure if they were actually 28 waist, but I could barely get the pants on and it was extremely uncomfortable, so I'm guessing something like that. Maybe 30.

I'm not so much concerned with the additional price of the alterations as I am of the pants looking and feeling right after such an extreme adjustment to the waist.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashies_AC30 View Post
They don't do odd numbers in suiting, but if you want to treat yourself to a step or two above Jo's bank, go to banana republic
I've bought a few articles of clothing from the Banana Republic outlet in Myrtle Beach. They have some great clearance sales. I'm not sure if the same applies to their suits.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

I have about 10 suits from Jos A Banks. I have never paid their full price for anything. Usually I get them for 2 for $250 or something like that. For me anyway, they have held up very well, and I have not had any issues. I do have some fraying on one but the suit is probably 10 years old. And for my work, I wear suits 4x/week and do travel so they go in suit cases and such, so given they have held up for a long time shows the durability and quality.

I have one suit from BR, and I would not put it in the same class as those from Banks. But just my opinion. Oh and I think Mens Warehouse is being bought/already bought by Banks.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I've bought a few articles of clothing from the Banana Republic outlet in Myrtle Beach. They have some great clearance sales. I'm not sure if the same applies to their suits.
I've seen a few nice suits at the outlets, and generally speaking they seem to sell the jacket and pants separate. Jackets usually from $199 to $299 and the suit pants between $100 to $150, and I have seen them reduced by as much as 50% off so you could get a really nice suit for a couple hundred if you hit them at the right time. Kind of hit or miss, helps if you live close by an outlet.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #17
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
I have about 10 suits from Jos A Banks. I have never paid their full price for anything. Usually I get them for 2 for $250 or something like that. For me anyway, they have held up very well, and I have not had any issues. I do have some fraying on one but the suit is probably 10 years old. And for my work, I wear suits 4x/week and do travel so they go in suit cases and such, so given they have held up for a long time shows the durability and quality.

I have one suit from BR, and I would not put it in the same class as those from Banks. But just my opinion. Oh and I think Mens Warehouse is being bought/already bought by Banks.
Wonder if they will keep them as a lower cost alternative or convert/shut them down?
Old 01-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #18
soccerguy79
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 465
soccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervoussoccerguy79 is making other chickens nervous

The Brooks Brothers Outlet is very good. BTW they make their suit pants in odd numbers.
soccerguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #19
BigRedCock
↓Little Marcus Lattimore↓

Male

CockyCash: 1700
BigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPit

This weekend is BUY 1 GET 3 FREE at JAB
Of course you buy the first for full retail ($700-$800), but for four suits you get a steal!
If you have $1,000 to start your wardrobe (after taxes and alternations), I'd go there.
Don't forget….a variety of shirts and ties can change the suit. White shirt and tie on Monday and colored shirt and tie on Thursday….no one knows the difference.
Also, I pay for the permanent creases in the suits. It'll save the shape and ultimately lower the cost of needing it pressed and dry cleaned as often
Old 01-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #20
etowngangsta
Challenge accepted.

Male

CockyCash: 26065800
etowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot materialetowngangsta is USC mascot material

I will just add that you can wear the same suit twice in a week if you wear different shirts and tie/shoes with it. Just get a couple blue shirts and a couple white shirts and maybe a couple with a pattern of some sort. Another idea is get different cuffs/collars.

another idea is get a suit with a vest and wear it with the vest sometimes and without some.

Also if you get a pair of khaki colored pants you can wear them with just about any jacket and look good.

Just wanted to give a couple ideas to give some variety and get more bang for your buck. You don't actually have to have 20 different suits to make it look like you do.
etowngangsta is offline   Reply With Quote