CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
KaneisAble
doubledribble
PageUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
Jmansour333
thumpin big
b381l
TheUSCMike
kingofnerf
Busta out indefinite (1905)
SOS says his next st (1632)
Our Road Upset Wins (1506)
CBSSports SEC predic (780)
No easy road for our (638)
Our Defense? (556)
Roll call for Auburn (552)
University of Buffal (497)
Michael Sams done in (360)
Party like it's 1903 (280)
Our Defense?
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
SEC Football Legend: Shel
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
MMA: Holeve (Down Syndrom
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
2015 Commitment - Davon D
Why is everyone anticipat
Holiday desserts

Old 01-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #41
GarnetnBad
Remember The Fade!

Male

CockyCash: 500
GarnetnBad has hatched from the shell
Default Re: Clowney/Agent to sue?

Their subs are really really good. I haven't had one in years. They used to have one in Lancaster too but it shut down much like everything else has there since Springs moved their operations out of the country.

"I wouldn't sell my bike for all the money in the world. Not for a hundred million, trillion, billion dollars!"

-P.W. Herman
GarnetnBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #42
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
That's totally different than this situation though. If we were talking about using an athlete's likeness on merchandise or something like that then ok, but this is different. Stealing music is causing a direct loss of income from the artist, how is putting an athlete's name on a sandwich board causing any kind of financial harm to the athlete?
It undercuts the value of using his name in endorsements.

Look, I think college athletes should get paid for what they do. Spurrier is right. The NCAA is making millions off players.

The one area that the players still have a right to protection is their likeness and images. We don't need one more area where players get screwed financially. Clowney is great and he deserves his payday. Only Clemson fans want to limit what Clowney recieves for the special young man that he is. He is a Gamecock and will always be a Gamecock, and I am supporting him.

It is exactly the same principle. Image is an asset for an athlete like Clowney.

That said, you are making a mountain out of molehill in this case. Clowney and the owner have resolved the issue to the satisfaction of both parties.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #43
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
It undercuts the value of using his name in endorsements.

Look, I think college athletes should get paid for what they do. Spurrier is right. The NCAA is making millions off players.

The one area that the players still have a right to protection is their likeness and images. We don't need one more area where players get screwed financially. Clowney is great and he deserves his payday. Only Clemson fans want to limit what Clowney recieves for the special young man that he is. He is a Gamecock and will always be a Gamecock, and I am supporting him.

It is exactly the same principle. Image is an asset for an athlete like Clowney.

That said, you are making a mountain out of molehill in this case. Clowney and the owner have resolved the issue to the satisfaction of both parties.
I can see your point, but I doubt JD would lose any endorsement money over his name being on some two bit sub shop's sign. That being said it probably a fine line and it's tough to say when it's been crossed. That's why he has people to protect him. I support him and anyone else making as much money as humanly possible off there image/intellectual property and agree they have every right to protect it, I just think as I society we are a little quick to the draw when it comes to legal action, threat of legal action, cease and desist etc, and I'll leave it at that.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #44
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

Seems to me like a non-issue now.

The guy thought he was being cute and is probably too dumb to know you can't use someone's name like that. But he took it down....so end of story.

People are always so damn fast to want to sue someone.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:28 PM   #45
appcenter52
Recruit

Male

appcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime43 View Post
In reality, there is nothing illegal about it. Someone's name is not intellectual property. This is very common. See the Ben "Roethlisberger" sandwhich in Pittsburgh. Also, there is an Irish bar just outside of the Panthers stadium, which every item on their menu is actually named after players.

In reading the story, he doesn't even have a sandwich named after Clowney. He also explains that this happened 14 years ago with Mel Gibson. Gibson's agent NEVER threatened to sue, because there is nothing illegal about it. Instead, asked him to change the wording to shed a better light on Gibson, which the sub owner did.

Also reading this article, it looks like he will change the message but NOT take Clowney's name down. The only think Cook could do is file an injunction, which may or may not get granted. The sub owner could then file to momentarily get the injunction lifted, which he would. Then it would come down to is Cook interested in fighting that battle which he probably would ultimately lose since the sub owner has a LONG history of doing this, with very little issues. He has used Jake Delhomme's name poking fun at him. He has used Stephon Gilmore's name and this is not the first that JD's name has been used. He has also used the Carolina Panthers name in poking fun.
http://www.wrhi.com/2014/01/agent-fo...-marquee-89504

http://www.wrhi.com/2014/01/palmetto...-ruffalo-89535
No sir, in reality, YOU are dead wrong. I have a law degree and I can tell you this IS illegal IF the person who's name is being used wants it stopped. If a person/business entity is using someone's name or likeness for profit, then they must have the permission of that person. There are numerous ways contracts are written to profit share if the person agrees to let his name be used. Also, the examples you give doesn't mean its not illegal, it simply means those people have decided not to file suit. Also, you have no idea what kind of contract might exist between the business and the person who's name is being used. Do you know for a FACT that Ben Roethlisburger isn't getting a share of the proceeds from the sales of those sandwiches? No. There are movie stars, athletes, etc. all over the world who have their names used in marketing but I can assure you they're getting paid.
appcenter52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #46
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

I can see Clowney and his agent wanting to protect his "Brand". I have no problem with that.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #47
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by appcenter52 View Post
No sir, in reality, YOU are dead wrong. I have a law degree and I can tell you this IS illegal IF the person who's name is being used wants it stopped. If a person/business entity is using someone's name or likeness for profit, then they must have the permission of that person. There are numerous ways contracts are written to profit share if the person agrees to let his name be used. Also, the examples you give doesn't mean its not illegal, it simply means those people have decided not to file suit. Also, you have no idea what kind of contract might exist between the business and the person who's name is being used. Do you know for a FACT that Ben Roethlisburger isn't getting a share of the proceeds from the sales of those sandwiches? No. There are movie stars, athletes, etc. all over the world who have their names used in marketing but I can assure you they're getting paid.
Not trying to be funny, but I'm curious how this might apply to newspapers and magazines. Obviously newspapers are covered under freedom of press and I'm assuming someone who uses an athlete's name on a sign could similiarly argue freedom of speech. Is there a main difference that I'm missing? Just wondering if we may ever see people trying to sue a newspaper for using their name without permission.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #48
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Other than again there is no Clowney sub, so is he making profit off clowney

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #49
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I thought we already went through this last summer.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #50
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Arnold Palmer should sue the shit out of a lot of people.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #51
MillerTime43
Walk On

Male

MillerTime43 has hatched from the shell

Quote:

To answer your question about the Roethlisburger, YES I do know he is not paid. My brother is married to the owner's sister, and i spoke with him to which he confirmed that Ben receives not financial benefit. Ben, instead considers it an HONOR. Ben has even been featured during an Monday Night Football Special as EATING the sandwich for one of their pre-game bits.

I am sure you are proud of your law degree, but no i am not DEAD wrong. Cook and Clowney would have to prove, in a court of law, that the owner of Sub Station II was able to benefit financially from this. Otherwise anytime someone put a name up on a marquee "IE, thoughts and prayers with Newtown families.", a precedent would be set.

The sad part is that sign has been up for 2 weeks with no press but thanks to Bus Cook, SS 2 has gotten plenty of free press and will now benefit. Cook needs to be worried about bigger fish than a local sub shop in Clowney's hometown, like Cam Newton's new contract or Brett Favre's next Wrangler commercial.

My guess is that Mel Gibson's agent would have threatened lawsuits or injunctions if it would hold up in court, but he did NOT. What he did instead was ask that the owner change the wording, which he did.
MillerTime43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #52
MillerTime43
Walk On

Male

MillerTime43 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Arnold Palmer should sue the shit out of a lot of people.
Hmm. Where is the guy with the law degree on this one as to why Arnold Palmer doesn't sue?
MillerTime43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #53
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
To answer your question about the Roethlisburger, YES I do know he is not paid. My brother is married to the owner's sister, and i spoke with him to which he confirmed that Ben receives not financial benefit. Ben, instead considers it an HONOR. Ben has even been featured during an Monday Night Football Special as EATING the sandwich for one of their pre-game bits.

I am sure you are proud of your law degree, but no i am not DEAD wrong. Cook and Clowney would have to prove, in a court of law, that the owner of Sub Station II was able to benefit financially from this. Otherwise anytime someone put a name up on a marquee "IE, thoughts and prayers with Newtown families.", a precedent would be set.

The sad part is that sign has been up for 2 weeks with no press but thanks to Bus Cook, SS 2 has gotten plenty of free press and will now benefit. Cook needs to be worried about bigger fish than a local sub shop in Clowney's hometown, like Cam Newton's new contract or Brett Favre's next Wrangler commercial.

My guess is that Mel Gibson's agent would have threatened lawsuits or injunctions if it would hold up in court, but he did NOT. What he did instead was ask that the owner change the wording, which he did.
Actually, it was the owner who brought in the press not Cook. Cook just asked him to take down the message, please. The owner agreed. End of story.

Not a big tort case. No money damages. No lawsuits were filed. Owner and Clowney are fine. The guy is selling Gamecock subs. What is the problem anymore?

Some people want to make something out of nothing.

Quote:
Hmm. Where is the guy with the law degree on this one as to why Arnold Palmer doesn't sue?
He is not wrong. Maybe just a bit dickish about it.

Quote:
Plaintiffs, well-known professional golfers and members of Professional Golfers' Association of America, seek an injunction and damages with respect to use of their names by defendant in conjunction with and as part of a game, the component parts of which are gathered in a paperboard box.
ARNOLD PALMER, GARY PLAYER, DOUG SANDERS AND JACK NICKLAUS, PLAINTIFFS, v. SCHONHORN ENTERPRISES, INC., A NEW JERSEY CORPORATION, DEFENDANT.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #54
cockybreeyan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

cockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPitcockybreeyan rules the CockPit

Quote:
Actually, it was the owner who brought in the press not Cook. Cook just asked him to take down the message, please. The owner agreed. End of story.

Not a big tort case. No money damages. No lawsuits were filed. Owner and Clowney are fine. The guy is selling Gamecock subs. What is the problem anymore?

Some people want to make something out of nothing.

He is not wrong. Maybe just a bit dickish about it.
Finally a reasonable voice around here. The "SUE THEM" pitchfork posters really could use a dose of common sense
cockybreeyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #55
Carolina4Life
1st Team All-Pro

Male

Carolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot materialCarolina4Life is USC mascot material

If his name is trade marked then his agent has every right to sue, legally anyway.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #56
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah, musicians should be honored when I download their music for free from napster. I am listenting to their tunes! Greedy musicians want to get paid for their music. I paid for the CD. I see nothing wrong with copying it, giving it to all my friends for free, and posting a link on the Net so everyone who has it can download it.
Stretch Armstrong can't compete with the reach on this comparison.

Maybe Clowney should have signed with Jay-Z after all.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #57
appcenter52
Recruit

Male

appcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his clawsappcenter52 is sharpening his claws

Quote:

Well yea, that is pretty obvious. That's what the law says. Obviously just printing a name somewhere isn't illegal, but when you profit off that name it is if that person wants his cut. Do you really think this guy isn't doing this to get people to buy his product? Exactly. So yes, if Clowney wanted to sue, the likelihood that he would prevail is pretty high. No one with a straight face could go in the courtroom and claim this guy is not doing this for profit, to get people to buy his sandwiches.
appcenter52 is offline   Reply With Quote