CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
Tolley
kingofnerf
SwampFox
GamecockCam
The Yancey
GarnetSwarm1990
PosiVibeWarrior
TN game weather (1044)
Who is your favorite (840)
Marvel releases movi (388)
Michigan AD Dave Bra (374)
Aliens Are Real (313)
FSU vs. Louisville (292)
Virgin Spaceship Exp (226)
Need a ride tomorrow (153)
Brady Hoke Motivatio (138)
Talking Animals (87)
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Cavs vs. Bulls
Uniforms for Tenn
Tennessee - South Carolin
Lattimore to play after S
TN game weather
NCAAF: TENNESSEE @ SOUTH
NCAAF: ARKANSAS @ MISSISS
NCAAF: OKLAHOMA @ IOWA ST

Old 01-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #21
Cockypantherfan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Brenton Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitandswitch View Post
Bill Simmons begs to differ.

I don't know if you're being serious comparing yourself to college basketball players at USC. If you are please don't even bother responding because you're delusional.
Please then enlighten me on what this team does well from a fundamentals standpoint. Do we box out well? No. Do we communicate well on offense and defense? No. Do we take care of the ball? No. Do we have goofball movement on offense? No. Can we hit free throws? No.

Until we can do the basics well, you can't expect improvement.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #22
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
Please then enlighten me on what this team does well from a fundamentals standpoint. Do we box out well? No. Do we communicate well on offense and defense? No. Do we take care of the ball? No. Do we have goofball movement on offense? No. Can we hit free throws? No.

With your vast church league experience, I probably stand no chance of teaching you anything.
baitandswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #23
Cockypantherfan
Banned

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
With your vast church league experience, I probably stand no chance of teaching you anything.
I'm a decent athlete but no where near what it takes to play at a higher level. I understand the ins and outs of basketball very well though.

So man up and quit dodging the question... what part of my breakdown of the fundamentals am I wrong on? Teach me oh "wise one"..
Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #24
uncc21
Walk On

Male

uncc21 has feathers coming inuncc21 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Brenton had 2 turnovers. Probably ought to look at stats before posting. Thornwell had 5 by the way.
It doesn't matter
uncc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:43 PM   #25
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:

First of all I disagreed with you about the secret formula to winning. I'm not getting into that, you can read The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons if you really want become knowledgeable about the game.

As far as your analysis of the fundamentals, I do believe you should look at statistics and understand a thing called chemistry before running your mouth.

We have outrebounded 2/3 of our opponents this season, so I'd say that while rebounding could improve, it's not our worst problem this season.

Chemistry is something that develops on a team over time. I have seen the team come together and play great ball. Obviously chemistry depends on leadership and losing Ty Johnson hurt the team chemistry.

Turnovers.. yeah that's a problem... again that could be due to inexperience and lack of development. People want to say Brenton turns it over too much, but Thornwell was the problem against UGA.

Goofball movement on offense? I see us move with purpose on offense which is something I didn't see with Horn around. I don't really understand what you mean by goofball movement. I see us set picks and swing the ball around. I see us trying to drive to the hoop. I would say no to the goofball movement.

Can we hit free throws? We make 69% of our free throws. That's essentially 7 out of 10. Most teams are shooting right around 70% from the stripe. I'd argue that we are an average team at the free throw line, not that we can't shoot them.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #26
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncc21 View Post
It doesn't matter
LOL yeah what could you possibly say to that proof.

You should actually apologize for bringing the IQ of the board down with your lack of actually knowing what happened in the game or willingness to even look at the numbers.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #27
Cockypantherfan
Banned

Male

Quote:
First of all I disagreed with you about the secret formula to winning. I'm not getting into that, you can read The Book of Basketball by Bill Simmons if you really want become knowledgeable about the game.

As far as your analysis of the fundamentals, I do believe you should look at statistics and understand a thing called chemistry before running your mouth.

We have outrebounded 2/3 of our opponents this season, so I'd say that while rebounding could improve, it's not our worst problem this season.

Chemistry is something that develops on a team over time. I have seen the team come together and play great ball. Obviously chemistry depends on leadership and losing Ty Johnson hurt the team chemistry.

Turnovers.. yeah that's a problem... again that could be due to inexperience and lack of development. People want to say Brenton turns it over too much, but Thornwell was the problem against UGA.

Goofball movement on offense? I see us move with purpose on offense which is something I didn't see with Horn around. I don't really understand what you mean by goofball movement. I see us set picks and swing the ball around. I see us trying to drive to the hoop. I would say no to the goofball movement.

Can we hit free throws? We make 69% of our free throws. That's essentially 7 out of 10. Most teams are shooting right around 70% from the stripe. I'd argue that we are an average team at the free throw line, not that we can't shoot them.
I meant to say good ball movement, but was on my phone so the auto correct got me.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #28
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
I meant to say good ball movement, but was on my phone so the auto correct got me.
DYAC!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #29
uncc21
Walk On

Male

Quote:
It doesn't matter
Yeah right. Actually I don't really care about the numbers. I watched the game and Williams took ill advised shots and had his shot blocked a couple times. I just don't like his game. I'm sure he's a good kid but I would rather see the freshmen get those minutes. He's not going pro anyway. BTW, thornwell will be playing in the NBA in a couple years. So I don't care what you think. I apologize for people having to read your comments on statistics
Old 01-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #30
uncc21
Walk On

Male

Quote:
LOL yeah what could you possibly say to that proof.

You should actually apologize for bringing the IQ of the board down with your lack of actually knowing what happened in the game or willingness to even look at the numbers.
When you are a senior and make bad decisions at the most crucial times in a game, that doesn't show up in the numbers. A smart high IQ person like yourself should know that
Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 PM   #31
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
When you are a senior and make bad decisions at the most crucial times in a game, that doesn't show up in the numbers. A smart high IQ person like yourself should know that
Why thank you for the compliment!

I also don't see what bad decision he made at the end of the games. He tried to call time out at the end of the Auburn game but the ref decided it wasn't necessary to call it. I saw Brenton make the potential game saving steal in that game.

I saw Brenton connect on 4-7 threes. I saw Brenton only turn the ball over 2 times to Thornwell's 5.

I see Brenton make his free throws. You don't care about the numbers because they prove your opinion wrong, which makes you just plain ignorant. It also helps me to realize that after this, there is no reason for me to even discuss basketball with you because you are willfully ignorant to stats, reason, and logic. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #32
5lbYardcock
Two Deep

Male

5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

Points do count, not everyone needs to play defense. You need scorers and stppers. Not many are both. Brenton did a great job, he just couldnt rely on the bigs to make stops.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #33
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5lbYardcock View Post
Points do count, not everyone needs to play defense. You need scorers and stppers. Not many are both. Brenton did a great job, he just couldnt rely on the bigs to make stops.
He is not good enough of a scorer to make up for his awful defense. He only averages 11 points per game he is not some king of prolific player.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:58 PM   #34
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
He is not good enough of a scorer to make up for his awful defense. He only averages 11 points per game he is not some king of prolific player.
Where do you come up with this stuff?

His ORtg outweighs his DRtg which throws your assessment completely out the window!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #35
uncc21
Walk On

Male

Quote:
Cockpantherfan, don't worry about this guys bs. He kind of reminds me of a media (Ron Morris type of guy). Every post he makes is to contradict people in a sarcastic manner. He thinks he knows everything about basketball. My guess is with your church league experience, you could get out on the court and beat this big talker one on one. Stats don't always tell the whole story of the game. Intangibles, momentum and timely plays don't show up in the stats but are a major factor in who wins a game. Hopefully some of the people on here can respect comments and not see every post as an opportunity to use their extremely humorous sarcasm. That's why I rarely post on this site. Internet tough guys are the worst.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:04 AM   #36
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:

His ORtg outweighs his DRtg which throws your assessment completely out the window!
Does it? Because his defensive rating is = sucks and his offensive rating is = meh..
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:13 AM   #37
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

For the sake of our fans, I hope this team gets it together soon.
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #38
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Does it? Because his defensive rating is = sucks and his offensive rating is = meh..
It is what it is, but who would you rather have out there? Brenton or Steele?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #39
Cockypantherfan
Banned

Male

Quote:

Get out of here with your lame saber metrics. You know who uses saber metrics? People with no experience playing sports so they try and use formulas to cover things up.

Those metrics don't account for hustle or boxing out or anything like that. Gotta do the fundamentals first and then build on that.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #40
Cockypantherfan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Cockpantherfan, don't worry about this guys bs. He kind of reminds me of a media (Ron Morris type of guy). Every post he makes is to contradict people in a sarcastic manner. He thinks he knows everything about basketball. My guess is with your church league experience, you could get out on the court and beat this big talker one on one. Stats don't always tell the whole story of the game. Intangibles, momentum and timely plays don't show up in the stats but are a major factor in who wins a game. Hopefully some of the people on here can respect comments and not see every post as an opportunity to use their extremely humorous sarcasm. That's why I rarely post on this site. Internet tough guys are the worst.
I'm not sweating him at all.. I know his type.