CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
El Cid Ranger
taylorssc
markymark550
Captain9Dragons
BlackMagic84
doubledribble
Fight, win, kick a-- (1308)
The Gator Bowl wants (955)
CFN prediction for a (911)
Why I'm hopeful abou (907)
USC will upset Aubur (779)
A simple defensive l (754)
What happened to thi (687)
In-state QB talent (538)
This is War (399)
SEC Debate: Best can (335)
Texas athletic director:
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Why I think we beat Aubur
In-state QB talent
A simple defensive line &
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Thoughts on the basketbal
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Cann tipping plays?

Old 01-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
BigRedCock
↓Little Marcus Lattimore↓

Male

CockyCash: 1700
BigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPit
Default Pankake moving to 3rd base

Mooney to SS
Anyone surprised by this?
Makes sense to me.
Any other looming position changes from last season?
Old 01-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21
Default Re: Pankake moving to 3rd base

We knew this after the Fall.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Smh
Old 01-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

CockyCash: 500
Mt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot materialMt. Lattimore is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedCock View Post
Mooney to SS
Anyone surprised by this?
Makes sense to me.
Any other looming position changes from last season?
Thanks for the update.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #5
BigRedCock

Male

BigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPitBigRedCock rules the CockPit

Knew he wasn't going to play SS anymore. Heard 3rd, LF and maybe 1st were options
Old 01-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1373
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

That was the plan all along. Glad to see it is working out.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 436
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

And I thought he was going to pitch. Stupid me.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
We knew this after the Fall.
Yea it has been known for a long time...
Old 01-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

why would he be moved to 3rd base.....his fielding and throwing were not his strengths.....after last year, I was under the impression he was going to the outfield.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
BigRedCock

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
why would he be moved to 3rd base.....his fielding and throwing were not his strengths.....after last year, I was under the impression he was going to the outfield.
Agreed. I was leaning towards outfield, but whatever
Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #11
Ballpoint Man
Blue Chip

Male

Ballpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPit

Quote:

That's not entirely true. The skill set is a bit different, but it isn't like he doesn't have some strong fielding tools (Having a strong arm is a huge boon at 3rd). You need good reaction too, but not elite speed.

I think this makes a huge amount of sense

Also - to the OP: don't fret that everyone is already acting like it was written in stone. It wasn't. He almost ended up in LF or elsewhere. Thanks for the report.

Last edited by Ballpoint Man; 01-24-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Ballpoint Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
BigRedCock

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballpoint Man View Post
That's not entirely true. The skill set is a bit different, but it isn't like he doesn't have some strong fielding tools (Having a strong arm is a huge boon at 3rd). You need good reaction too, but not elite speed.

I think this makes a huge amount of sense

Also - to the OP: don't fret that everyone is already acting like is was written in stone. It wasn't. He almost ended up in LF or elsewhere. Thanks for the report.
Thanks. I'm aware there is a "holier than thou" crew about SC baseball on here. Doesn't bother me. We're all fans
Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 AM   #13
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Quote:
His arm strength is some of the best on the team. He wasn't a great SS simply because he lacked range - hence most of his fielding errors. Joey will be fine at third. Most of the balls hit to third are lasers, or at least get to you quicker than they would at short. So in reality, he has more time to step and throw.

He can and probably will still see some time in the outfield. The 3B/LF spots were up for grab between a number of guys; Matt Williams (FR; 3B/2B), Joey Pankake (JR; 3B/LF), Elliott Caldwell (JR; 3B/LF), Gene Cone (FR; OF), Brock Maxwell (FR; OF), and Zach Madden (FR; OF). Elliott Caldwell has his chances at third, but the coaching staff has decided to put Elliott Caldwell in left instead. Cone is easily the best OF of the bunch, and was the most consistent hitter of the fall. Madden and Maxwell struggled this fall (Brock didn't record a single hit).

With JP at 3B and EC in LF this gives us the two best hitters (average/power) in our lineup, with a team leader at 3B and a guy with SEC experience in the infield.

He will be better than Verg at 3B and similar to LB, but with better arm strength. I'm really liking our infield, and our defensive lineup in general.

C - Greyson Greiner; Logan Koch/Pat Harrington
1B - Kyle Martin; Brison Celek
2B - Max Schrock ; DC Arendas/Matt Williams
SS - Marcus Mooney ; DC Arendas/Jordan Gore/Matt Williams
3B - Joey Pankake; Elliott Caldwell/Matt Williams/DC Arendas
LF - Elliott Caldwell; Gene Cone/Jordan Gore
CF - Tanner English; Gene Cone
RF - Connor Bright ; Gene Cone/Brock Maxwell

That's a solid group of fielders. If Connor struggles defensively, but is alive at the plate (similar to last year), I fully expect Gene Cone to get a shot. He was one of the best defensive outfielders we had in the fall (with MULTIPLE assist from the outfield) and he wasn't to shabby at the plate either.

DH - Brison Celek/Taylor Widener/Connor Bright/Elliott Caldwell (depending on who is playing the field)

That would be our lineup right now, in my opinion.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:22 AM   #14
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

He made a number of throwing errors w/o being on the run....as far as fielding, he made a number of fielding errors with balls hit right to him. hopefully, he'll be improved.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:52 AM   #15
Ballpoint Man
Blue Chip

Male

Ballpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPitBallpoint Man rules the CockPit

Quote:
He made a number of throwing errors w/o being on the run....as far as fielding, he made a number of fielding errors with balls hit right to him. hopefully, he'll be improved.
That's true. it's just a different beast. A lot of the errors made by SS or 2B has more to do with the perceived lack of time to make an accurate throw. The position is twitch based at every point: Fielding, switching and throwing.

Typically, your 3B is the second worst "fielder" on the in field, behind only 1B. So any fielding issues (of which, he does have a few) will be muted here. Furthermore, poor instincts can be made up with a strong arm (For example: A super talented 3B might charge a ball, pick it at the inbetween hop and have all day to throw to first. A less talented one may wait on the ball, giving it an extra hop - but if he has the arm strength, can still record the out consistently).

Not trying to talk down to anyone: I think most people probably know that all ready. Just putting it out there.

As a corollary: I am *not* in the camp who believes that Pankake will be better at 3B than LB. LB was a stud over there. Pankake has a fantastic arm, but LB was flawless. Unexpectedly so. Still - I think he's an upgrade over Vergason, and probably going to flourish at that position.
Ballpoint Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:40 AM   #16
Qatarcock
Redneck Abroad

Male

CockyCash: 1000500
Qatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Qatarcock

Thanks for the update.
3rd is more of a reaction and use of a strong arm...less time to think and less time to need to move around which hides a lack of range. Range isn't needed at 3rd like short. Also, he has less to think about especially with not being needed to turn a double play on most ground balls. That by itself will free him up to field the ball better.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #17
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I always thought Pankake would be a natural in left or right field. With him out there runners at second would have to think twice about going home on a single. I think he can play third, but I also think that you can expect to see a few balls thrown into the dug-out or stands from third. But the bottom line is that he is too talented to be on the bench.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

It's in Pankake's best interest to play third , if he can play it well . All other things being equal , he will be drafted higher as a third baseman than as a left-fielder . But if he struggles there he can certainly move to left field . Other options at third would be Caldwell or possibly one of the middle infielders .
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:06 PM   #19
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit

3B is more reaction based and you have less time to think. At SS, you have more time to think (make sure you do everything right) which he has admitted thinking too much gets him in trouble.

I think he will do great at 3B this season.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #20
Dam Racals
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
Dam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his clawsDam Racals is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedCock View Post
Knew he wasn't going to play SS anymore. Heard 3rd, LF and maybe 1st were options
Coach Tanner has lost control of baseball team..............
Dam Racals is offline   Reply With Quote