CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TheUniversityofSC
COCKYTALKIN
Gamecocks1137
Lonnie
garnet_black215
spareparts
markymark550
MWard
Spurticus
WeStill0wnUSC
Another A&M aggi (2147)
Green and Lammons (2018)
COMCAST TO CARRY SEC (997)
Comporium (736)
Dawg DL man arrested (545)
ESPN Car wash Spurri (463)
Nashville (403)
It's Cover Two's bda (389)
Georgia DE Jonathan (310)
Stephen Garcia AMA o (196)
2015 - Zack Bailey
Another A&M aggie off
Georgia DE Jonathan Taylo
Stephen Garcia AMA on Red
Asheville/Spartanburg eat
2015 - Johnny Frasier
2015 - Marquavius Lewis
Official SEC Network and
Boosting OOC schedule str
Spurrier Responds to Dabo

Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #281
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Starting Qb next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAGGGA View Post
We wont be running those read option plays nearly as much now. Plus it will be hard to find someone who can run them as well as Shaw. It fit his skillset to a T.

Mitch has the strongest arm on the team. No questions asked. This kids arm is NFL ready now. Its on a different level than weve had here since Ellis. Mitch's skillset has him more as a pocket passing QB. But hes said if hes called to run he will.

Once your at this level you arent going to gain arm strength. Because realy, its not how strong you are. You get "arm strength" from your complete throwing motion. You get a lot of velocity from your feet and lower body. That then goes through your shoulder and finally your arm and wrist. All of that at the right combination will give a qb elite velocity. And if hes missing any one part of it, it will cause him to lose some. Ever wonder why guys like Elway and Marino could throw so much harder than anyone else? What their foot plant into the ground. And their mid section. Watch how much force they get into it.

Mitch is similar. He does a lot of things right. Both if you notice QBs that can throw with a lot of velocity in the NFL. Were doing it in college too. Its not something you can really learn. Its how you throw as you grow up. But once your to this point its to late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAGGGA View Post
Ellis had a cannon. Ive seen him throw many darts into the other teans hands. He had a pretty serious ankle injury. Was never the same again. Thats where you get a lot of velocity from.

So try again.

Also i didn't compare their arm strength. I said since ellis. Really havent had many strong armed QBs here. Mitchell could put some heat on it. Garcia too. But i wouldnt say they had cannons. Petty? Weak arm. Tanneyhill had a weak arm too. Just knew where to put it.

*Wasnt alive to see ellis play in person. Have many gamecock games on DVD.
Err, we have had many QBs before and since Ellis with way better arms. Ellis put up good numbers because we ran a run and shoot and he was throwing short passes to Sterling Sharpe. Sharpe was the best receiver I have ever seen play for Carolina. He was better and faster than Sammy Watkins and had the toughness of Alshon.

Ellis holds the all time school record for interceptions by a Carolina QB. That directly correlates to 1) his inability to read defense; and 2) his soft passes. Ellis's arm was decent. For comparison purposes, his arm was not as strong as Connor Shaw, who some Clempson idiots think has a weak arm. Your credibility is being destroyed by claiming Ellis has a "cannon." Maybe in your mind as a youngster it was a cannon. Take our word for it, it was not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
Speaking of which, have you ever heard of split infinitives?
I think the KOB was intentionally using it as an artistic form like in Star Trek, "to boldly go where no man has gone before." It adds a pizzazz to his post. You neet to tip your cap to this kind of artwork on Cockytalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonick View Post
Didn't Spurrier change the offense to fit Shaw's game...thought Spurrier was the "fun and gun" type...if that's the case..doesn't that change the conversation of who plays QB other than Thompson...BTW, DT has earned the right to be called the starter for next year..it's his to lose in my opine.
No. It changed marginally when he hired Elliott as the OL coach. Elliott is an expert at the zone read as he proved while coaching at Appy State. Garcia was the starter back in those days. Garcia could actually run a pretty good zone read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
I don't understand how anyone can say that this job is Thompson's to lose like he is so much more advanced than any other QB we have. There is still a spring and summer before our first game next year.

Everyone likes to point out Connor Mitch's arm strength, and how Spurrier recruited him, and all this blah blah. And everyone likes to point out Dylan Thompson's performance against Clemson, and how Dylan Thompson has been the back up for 2 years now, and how he was promised to play this year, and blah blah blah. But people forget that Nosovitch was a PARADE All-American.

And PARADE All-American isn't a joke. Most of the top college football players in the country were PARADE All-Americans.

And I'm all for heart-warming stories, but I'd prefer to win. So you put the best QB in for the job, not necessarily always the fan favorite. I love Dylan Thompson and everything he's done for the program, but if he's not the best, then oh well. If he is the best, then great.
Because SOS said it at one of his recent press conferences. I think it was that thorn Kendall that asked . . . always trying to start a controversy and create division ... and Spurrier scoffed at the notion anyone besides Thompson was a front runner for the starting job.

Shaq Attack

Last edited by yazoo; 01-23-2014 at 09:19 AM.
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #282
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material
Default Re: Starting Qb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 View Post
Spring football will settle a lot of debates this year.
I don't think that will be the case. We all have a habit of seeing what we want to see. The same people that believe one qb is better than the rest before the practice will believe the same after.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #283
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Starting Qb next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Because SOS said it at one of his recent press conferences. I think it was that thorn Kendall that asked . . . always trying to start a controversy and create division ... and Spurrier scoffed at the notion anyone besides Thompson was a front runner for the starting job.
Front runner and guaranteed starter doesn't mean the same thing. I've said in many of post that I agree that Dylan is the man, right now, but there still over 200 days which include winter workouts, spring ball, and summer camp before prep-week(s) for Texas A&M.

If you think Spurrier locked down the QB position without seeing the progression of Mitch or Nosovitch then your obviously Thompson-biased in my opinion. Just go back and read my post. I've never said I was cheering for anyone - but I am cheering for whomever he starts come August 28th. It would be great for Dylan to get the starters role, but it's not guaranteed.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #284
Gamecocks1137
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
I don't think that will be the case. We all have a habit of seeing what we want to see. The same people that believe one qb is better than the rest before the practice will believe the same after.
Is the Spring Game on April 12th this year? I am trying to find out so I can make sure I have the day off. I remembered Spurrier mentioning the date, but I can't seem to find the video.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:01 PM   #285
cockyness11
4-Star

Male

cockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudlycockyness11 is crowing loudly

I know some people feel that one of the reasons Spurrier has been acting so tickle pink, is because he knows that he has finally got that gunslinger Qb he has been trying to get since he has been here, in Connor Mich to implement his system.. He sees that door wide open for us to sneak right in to one of those four spots at the end of the year
cockyness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #286
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

The most popular guy on the team is ALWAYS the backup QB.......

....Until he has to be the STARTING QB.

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #287
Gamecocks1137
Bowl MVP

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
The most popular guy on the team is ALWAYS the backup QB.......

....Until he has to be the STARTING QB.
Remember when Beecher was that guy? haha Not comparing Mitch to Beecher at all, I believe Mitch has a bright future at USC, I just believe we need to not get so carried away yet.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #288
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Remember when Beecher was that guy? haha Not comparing Mitch to Beecher at all, I believe Mitch has a bright future at USC, I just believe we need to not get so carried away yet.
Well, I was also talking about DT, since he was the backup last year.

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #289
Dietz
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
Dietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot materialDietz is USC mascot material

Dylan has been to Death Valley and won. We play again in Clemmonville so have to go with Dylan. Only hopefully he can work on his control in the off-season, he has a tendency to have the ball sail away on him.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #290
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
Best QB play in at least a decade? Try EVER, man. 24 TDs, 1 interception...another 6 TDs rushing.

If you think we've EVER had another quarterback play that well for a season, in any decade, you're mistaken.
did you notice the phrase, "at least" in my post?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:19 AM   #291
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
Is the Spring Game on April 12th this year? I am trying to find out so I can make sure I have the day off. I remembered Spurrier mentioning the date, but I can't seem to find the video.

Roger. April 12th

http://www.fbschedules.com/spring-fo...game-schedule/
Old 01-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #292
Thundercocks- Ho!
Recruit

Male

Thundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervousThundercocks- Ho! is making other chickens nervous

Does anyone think Thompson's mechanics were worse last season after working with the same qb coach Boyd worked with in the off season. Just curious... I'm not sure if we have a large enough sample size from last year to truly know.
Thundercocks- Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:38 AM   #293
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3462
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Unlike some years past, I think this year we will all feel pretty comfortable with whichever guys wins the QB battle in August.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #294
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 5955916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercocks- Ho! View Post
Does anyone think Thompson's mechanics were worse last season after working with the same qb coach Boyd worked with in the off season. Just curious... I'm not sure if we have a large enough sample size from last year to truly know.
i don't remember him lunging like he was throwing a superman punch before that
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #295
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercocks- Ho! View Post
His mechanics have always been a little different. He has a tendency to shot put the ball sometimes which impacts his accuracy. I think it's more noticeable now because everyone is looking for him to be the man. When you're the backup people are just happy when you complete a pass. Being the starter brings a whole new set of eyes and perspectives.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #296
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

This is a Shaw type player....

Old 01-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #297
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
This is a Shaw type player....

Man, Garcia looked a little slimmer in that video.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #298
dffoxfanatic71
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1450
dffoxfanatic71 has earned his spursdffoxfanatic71 has earned his spursdffoxfanatic71 has earned his spursdffoxfanatic71 has earned his spursdffoxfanatic71 has earned his spursdffoxfanatic71 has earned his spurs

i really think thats its not even worth discussing. unless thompson just shits the bed in the spring, hes our man and given that spurriers policy is that the best qb will play really shows how much he thinks of thompson. i love it. its maddening though that we have three great qbs right now but only one of them can play. wish we could send one back in time to bridge the gap of decent qbs that came affter phil petty gaduated.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #299
Gamecocks1137
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by dffoxfanatic71 View Post
i really think thats its not even worth discussing. unless thompson just shits the bed in the spring, hes our man and given that spurriers policy is that the best qb will play really shows how much he thinks of thompson. i love it. its maddening though that we have three great qbs right now but only one of them can play. wish we could send one back in time to bridge the gap of decent qbs that came affter phil petty gaduated.
I am just hoping we can blow out some teams this year so we get to see all three play in real game time situations.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #300
garnet_black215
31-17.

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
His mechanics have always been a little different. He has a tendency to shot put the ball sometimes which impacts his accuracy. I think it's more noticeable now because everyone is looking for him to be the man. When you're the backup people are just happy when you complete a pass. Being the starter brings a whole new set of eyes and perspectives.
I'm sure SOS will work that out of him this spring.
garnet_black215 is online now   Reply With Quote