CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
kingoftheroost
Badazcock
thekob
cockfight21
ChickenButt
Ericvol2096
Cockypantherfan
GSC2013
gadeneer1986
Four UK Players Susp (1732)
400 pasing yards (705)
Nosovitch (689)
This program has no (583)
Funny? (553)
What fish do you eat (391)
KY Suspends 4 Player (384)
Zone Read Analysis w (363)
Thompson Has Neck In (298)
Would You Accept Lam (273)
Funny?
One dimensional QB
HBC Weekly Presser
Middle-Earth: Shadow of M
Zone Read Analysis w/ 201
Bad Week For Upstate Coac
Thoughts on the basketbal
10-2
Maty Mauk tries to take o
What fish do you eat

Old 01-28-2014, 01:41 AM   #101
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material
Default Re: New Playground at Carolina Stadium

So, quick question for those against the playground.

What exactly do you think cocky is around for? Lovable mascots are there for the kids, so I guess he is next on the chopping block. Too much of a distraction.

Also, sidebar discussion, what if these kids try to raise a toast after the alma mater? They aren't graduates!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:02 AM   #102
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

6 Pages deep and no one could post a picture? Guess I'll go in the morning and do it myself.

And if the area is where I'm guessing it is, during baseball games there has been nothing but kids there throwing tennis balls and baseballs around all game anyways. Who cares? Though I hope it isn't bright rainbow colors.
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:07 AM   #103
Singaporecock
Redneck Abroad

Male

CockyCash: 1000500
Singaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot materialSingaporecock is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Singaporecock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodrow Wilson View Post
Oh, yeah. I'm sure everyone who doesn't want an ugly playground in the ballpark instead of the perfectly functional Gamecock-themed bounce castle the kids have been using the past few years is completely devoid of human empathy.
I'm sure you would have loved to only play with a perfectly functional stick in the dirt growing up instead of whatever toys you had.

If we make it to host a regional, I will be on that playground with my 2.5 year old daughter this summer.

I apologize in advance if the shrieks and giggles of laughter and happiness from my tiny toddler (from hundreds of feet away), yells of 'Daddy, look Cocky!!!' and other sounds of a bonding daddy/daughter Gamecock time at the University where I attended and have had season tickets for over 30 years drown out the noise made by thousands of adults cheering for the Gamecocks and as a result have a negative impact on your gameday experience. I see what you mean, I really should be more thoughtful of others.

Last edited by Singaporecock; 01-28-2014 at 02:23 AM.
Singaporecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:07 AM   #104
Hoodrow Wilson
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Hoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBEZ View Post
So, quick question for those against the playground.

What exactly do you think cocky is around for? Lovable mascots are there for the kids, so I guess he is next on the chopping block. Too much of a distraction.

Also, sidebar discussion, what if these kids try to raise a toast after the alma mater? They aren't graduates!
Yes, Cocky is there for the kids, as are other sources of entertainment for children. This is why we don't need, in addition to all the other child-friendly activities, a really ugly playground.
Hoodrow Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:13 AM   #105
Hoodrow Wilson
4-Star

Male

Hoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singaporecock View Post
I'm sure you would have loved to only play with a perfectly functional stick in the dirt growing up instead of whatever toys you had.

If we make it to host a regional, I will be on that playground with my 2.5 year old daughter this summer.

I apologize in advance if the shrieks and giggles of laughter and happiness, yells of 'Daddy, look Cocky!!!' and other sounds of a bonding daddy/daughter Gamecock time at the University where I attended and have had season tickets for over 30 years drown out the noise made by thousands of adults cheering for the Gamecocks and as a result have a negative impact on your gameday experience. I see what you mean, I really should be more thoughtful of others.
Let's not make the playground any uglier than it already is, sir.
Hoodrow Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 AM   #106
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

So basically in 6 pages of opinion-based-argument what I've gotten from those against the playground is:

1. Parents now-a-days suck.
2. The playground will annoy everyone, even those who don't walk past it, see it, or have children.
3. The playground is ugly.
4. If you have kids, don't come to the games.

That seems to be the 4 basic points of each argument held against the playground.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #107
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

I'm a 67 year old geezer with no kids and I think the playground is a great idea . I've got a bunch of young nieces and nephews that just moved to town and I look forward to taking them to one of the midweek games . Maybe the people who dislike the playground will stay home and I can get some tickets cheap from a scalper .
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #108
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Yes, Cocky is there for the kids, as are other sources of entertainment for children. This is why we don't need, in addition to all the other child-friendly activities, a really ugly playground.
wow……JUST WOW.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #109
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
I drove by the stadium today and saw the playground we've built behind the Bi-Lo Berm.

I hate to sound like a jerk, but the thing is hideous. It's built on the grass mound, which elevates it above everything else in the stadium. After the University put so much thought and money into making this an aesthetically pleasing stadium, this metal and plastic monstrosity really makes that part of the stadium look pretty tacky.
Here is a prescription to remove the stick from your ass.
God damn, I know it doesn't look great, but damn let it go.

I personally don't care what it looks like as long as it is safe for the kids..plus, I'll be watching the game, not judging the aesthitic nature of a swing set.

Or better yet...don't show up...don't buy a ticket, don't watch it on TV...just do us all a favor and quit bitching about the single most pointless thing at the basetball stadium...and f@cking playground.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #110
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybreeyan View Post
Anyone saying kids don't belong in ballparks is only saying that because they had a terrible childhood and were deprived of the same thing. Saying kids don't belong in a ballpark is just stupid
Here, here.
Some of my best memories was going to Capital City Bomber games with my dad in the summer.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #111
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Here is a prescription to remove the stick from your ass.
God damn, I know it doesn't look great, but damn let it go.

I personally don't care what it looks like as long as it is safe for the kids..plus, I'll be watching the game, not judging the aesthitic nature of a swing set.

Or better yet...don't show up...don't buy a ticket, don't watch it on TV...just do us all a favor and quit bitching about the single most pointless thing at the basetball stadium...and f@cking playground.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #112
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

Blame society and their obsession with technology for this one. These days, two year olds have their own IPADs! Our nation as a whole can't stay away from our phones long enough to even drive a car properly. When we have our brains constantly sucked into something that "entertains" us for hours upon hours, how can somebody expect a kid to want to sit still and watch a baseball game for 3 hours? It's a shame really, but I don't even want to think about how bad it will be by the time I have kids.

However, with that being said I do think it is a good idea given the above circumstances. Now a man can sit down and enjoy a ball game just like in the good old days, and the wife and kids can go hang out in the play area.

Last edited by bigduff32; 01-28-2014 at 12:31 PM.
bigduff32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #113
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduff32 View Post
Blame society and their obsession with technology for this one. These days, two year olds have their own IPADs!
They shouldn't because it causes children that young to have developmental disabilities. That's a no brainier in every way. But it's rampant, which is sad. Any "parent" who gives a 2-year old a screen of any kind needs to be charged with child endangerment.

Quote:
Now a man can sit down and enjoy a ball game just like in the good old days, and his kids will be entertained over in the play area.
This is PRECISELY THE PROBLEM. Are people really that stupid not to understand that this is precisely the problem?

You bring your kid to the game to let them loose in the playground, and go watch the game? Really?

And you have a problem with those who criticize this situation?

If the playground was monitored and staffed by hired teachers, aides, with cameras and security to make sure they were safe, I would almost guarantee that the majority of "parents" would drop the kid off for 3 hours and pick them up after the game.

So freaking sad.
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #114
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
They shouldn't because it causes children that young to have developmental disabilities. That's a no brainier in every way. But it's rampant, which is sad. Any "parent" who gives a 2-year old a screen of any kind needs to be charged with child endangerment.

This is PRECISELY THE PROBLEM. Are people really that stupid not to understand that this is precisely the problem?

You bring your kid to the game to let them loose in the playground, and go watch the game? Really?

And you have a problem with those who criticize this situation?

If the playground was monitored and staffed by hired teachers, aides, with cameras and security to make sure they were safe, I would almost guarantee that the majority of "parents" would drop the kid off for 3 hours and pick them up after the game.

So freaking sad.
I was not implying that the kid be left alone... my thought process was wife and kids go play "the majority of women think baseball is boring"

I apologize for not making this 100% crystal clear, i'll go edit my original post now to avoid any confusion.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #115
uscnoklahoma
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 400
uscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPituscnoklahoma rules the CockPit

I still can't believe someone is complaining about this. If anything complain about Williams Brice....its a dump compared to some of the other stadiums in the country! Carolina Stadium is one of the best in the country. Let it go and don't go. I yell enough for both of us.

This space has been censored
uscnoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #116
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
I was not implying that the kid be left alone... my thought process was wife and kids go play "the majority of women think baseball is boring"

I apologize for not making this 100% crystal clear, i'll go edit my original post now to avoid any confusion.
No your original post is actually completely on point. It completely and clearly illustrates the problem. Some people treat their children like a pet - to be dropped off, attended to, dealt with by everyone other than themselves. Here, have an iPad, have a playground while I go watch the game, because showing you what baseball is all about is too much of a hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGnB521 View Post
It's a playground for kids. Most of whom aren't entertained by games at any level simply for not understanding the emphasis on every atbat, hit, error, etc.
Ironic post #1. I wonder why the kid isn't entertained and doesn't understand? Is it because of MOM AND DAD???

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
most kids who do want to go to the games still have a pretty short attention span. The playground gives the kids something to do while the parents can still somewhat enjoy what's going on.
Ironic post #2. Is the fact that the kid can't pay attention in any way related to Dad not explaining the game to the kid like fathers are supposed to do??
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #117
GamecockLawyer
Blue Chip

Male

GamecockLawyer is USC mascot materialGamecockLawyer is USC mascot materialGamecockLawyer is USC mascot materialGamecockLawyer is USC mascot materialGamecockLawyer is USC mascot materialGamecockLawyer is USC mascot materialGamecockLawyer is USC mascot materialGamecockLawyer is USC mascot materialGamecockLawyer is USC mascot materialGamecockLawyer is USC mascot materialGamecockLawyer is USC mascot material

Who knew that putting a jungle gym in the corner of Carolina Stadium would be met with such opposition? Crazy, I tell ya.
GamecockLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #118
GarnetBlackAttack
Recruit

GarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervousGarnetBlackAttack is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Do I have kids, no. I want any and I don't like them. Especially at games. I wish people would just leave them home. They are annoying.
It ain't the damn kids who are annoying it's the f'ing adolescent girls and boys who talk to each other about the party they went to, and the newest music group for 7 or 8 innings non-stop. Damn, this is a f'ing baseball game, not a social party. Maybe, they'll like the new playground and get away from me.
GarnetBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #119
SpuroftheMoment
4-Star

Male

SpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his combSpuroftheMoment is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
Do I have kids, no. I want any and I don't like them. Especially at games. I wish people would just leave them home. They are annoying.

Luckily for all of us, no one wants to procreate with you anyway.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #120
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
No your original post is actually completely on point. It completely and clearly illustrates the problem. Some people treat their children like a pet - to be dropped off, attended to, dealt with by everyone other than themselves. Here, have an iPad, have a playground while I go watch the game, because showing you what baseball is all about is too much of a hassle.
Got ya, I guess I was the one misunderstanding you on that one. Good point!