CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
NAGamecockFan
kingofnerf
BigRedCock
El Cid Ranger
robgusc76
NinjaSven
Gamecockswag
TAFC 5 1981
Freshman ND WR " (809)
Call of Duty: Advanc (512)
Good Riddance to bad (445)
Keeping tailgate foo (307)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (281)
An A to Z of Noah We (197)
The Comeback & T (196)
Bashing Players, coa (190)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (89)
Wallpaper & Back (77)
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Bashing Players, coaches,
Texas athletic director:
Why I think we beat Aubur
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
SEC Debate: Best candidat
2015 Commitment - Sherrod

Old 01-27-2014, 03:41 PM   #21
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs
Default Re: Special Teams must improve to win hardware

This is a write-up from GABA, showing our FEI rankings nationally both with and without special teams. FEI is used to evaluate theoretical match-ups between teams based on what they've done in their respective seasons. We ranked 1st when the only things considered were offense and defense. We ranked 6th when special teams were also taken into consideration. Field position, it could be argued, was detrimental for our boys against Tennessee. I know if I had to play in Rocky Top, I wouldn't wanna do it in the shadow of our own GL the whole game, especially considering the difference it owuld make in the home teams enthusiasm. If we win that game, we play for the SEC, and I think we would move on to the NC game.

http://www.garnetandblackattack.com/...in-the-country
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:47 PM   #22
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
We also had a worse conference record the year we made the SECCG than the following years. The East was just garbage that year. It just didn't work out in '11-'13. In '13, We lost to UGA because of our defense and we lost to UT because of our offense. Obviously special teams is a factor, but come on.
I think our offense would've performed better if a decent return could've kept 'em a head of the 25, and maybe even quiet the crowd a little bit.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #23
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
I think our offense would've performed better if a decent return could've kept 'em a head of the 25, and maybe even quiet the crowd a little bit.
It would have certainly helped.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:42 PM   #24
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Until we stop playing 2nd and 3rd stringers on ST things will not change.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #25
CockyCody
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 350
CockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talonsCockyCody has developed his gaff and talons

Well, can't get much worse! No where to go but up from here. Get a punter that can kick more than 35 yds and that would be a great start. We lose out in transition with what we currently have.
CockyCody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:58 AM   #26
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Look no further than Auburn to see that special teams can cost you championships. They missed a field goal, allowed a return for a TD and missed a fake punt on a 4th down that basically turned the momentum around
Don't forget ST also single handedly got them in that game as well

cocksmith1or11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:03 AM   #27
cocksmith1or11
Zone Reader

Male

CockyCash: 750
cocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot materialcocksmith1or11 is USC mascot material

Quote:
This is a write-up from GABA, showing our FEI rankings nationally both with and without special teams. FEI is used to evaluate theoretical match-ups between teams based on what they've done in their respective seasons. We ranked 1st when the only things considered were offense and defense. We ranked 6th when special teams were also taken into consideration. Field position, it could be argued, was detrimental for our boys against Tennessee. I know if I had to play in Rocky Top, I wouldn't wanna do it in the shadow of our own GL the whole game, especially considering the difference it owuld make in the home teams enthusiasm. If we win that game, we play for the SEC, and I think we would move on to the NC game.

http://www.garnetandblackattack.com/...in-the-country

Had we won that game we would've been in seccg, but would we have beaten Auburn with our run defense?

cocksmith1or11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:18 AM   #28
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocksmith1or11 View Post
Had we won that game we would've been in seccg, but would we have beaten Auburn with our run defense?
Nope.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:45 AM   #29
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Maybe small Fry has inspired someone with a leg to walk on as a punter.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #30
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

Quote:
we were better equipped to match up with them than missouri. youre not going to shut down that running game, but timely stops, forcing them into some field goals, and winning the turnover battle would help. they certainly werent unbeatable last year. it will be interesting to see how we do against them next year.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:45 AM   #31
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

SpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervousSpurProsecutor is making other chickens nervous

A better punter would help tremendously. Coach Robinson can't take the punts himself ...
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:55 AM   #32
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
End of season against spread teams, umm, year. We got really good, just pay attention to Mizzou on, sure we had trouble with Wisconsin, but they're power and they ran over our LBs because of size. I think if you look at what we did at the end of the season and what they did, we were deffinitely good enough. And do you think their defense would stop our offense?
Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 AM   #33
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Nope.
You gotta remember man, we got a lot better over the season, finished second in scoring D after Bama, and we match up better against spreads than they do, 3-4 is not made for spread attacks at all.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:38 AM   #34
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
End of season against spread teams, umm, year. We got really good, just pay attention to Mizzou on, sure we had trouble with Wisconsin, but they're power and they ran over our LBs because of size. I think if you look at what we did at the end of the season and what they did, we were deffinitely good enough. And do you think their defense would stop our offense?
Quote:
You gotta remember man, we got a lot better over the season, finished second in scoring D after Bama, and we match up better against spreads than they do, 3-4 is not made for spread attacks at all.
You can't think of Auburn's offense as a normal spread offense. While they used spread formations, they were a power running game. They usually made use of tight ends, and Jay Prosch, the #1 FB in college. The OL had both power and speed.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #35
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
You can't think of Auburn's offense as a normal spread offense. While they used spread formations, they were a power running game. They usually made use of tight ends, and Jay Prosch, the #1 FB in college. The OL had both power and speed.
Yeah, but it still relies more on speed than size, in that sense it is still very much a spread rushing attack. But what I'm really getting at, is that we certainly didn't start the season as the 4th best team. We finished strong as anyone, and certainly better than a 2 loss team would indicate. Beyond that, we match up better than most any of the other teams you've played. Hurry up doesn't have much advantage over our D, nor does speed in space. We would beat your team on passing down going both ways, and finished as I think top three for sustained drives which is how the Offense helps the Defense against hurry-up teams. I'm not saying that we're better than you or the teams you've beaten, if we play Bama 10 times, they probably win more. However, we match up in all the right ways that a game against our teams would be really hard to call, and I think we are the team to win, look at our defense from Tennessee (offense and ST responsible for that loss) on, they're kinda handicapped statistically from the early games, but were elite towards the end. If the match-up is even in the early half of November I wouldn't be so confident, but with how we finished, I'm confident that no team in the SEC matched up better to Auburn. Not saying we do win, but it is a swing game, and a much better match-up than Mizzou AU was.

Last edited by JoeMorrisonLives; 01-29-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #36
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Why do so many of our threads get hijacked about Auburn football? pathetic.

I honestly feel like Joe Robinson will get the ST's up to par this year. I heard one of the coaches say last week after the coaches convention that he was now going to get started on special teams. It wasn't Robinson, I can't remember who it was, maybe Grady Brown. Isn't he a special teams co-coordinator?

We hear Spurrier say nearly every year they have to get better players on Special Teams. This statement is usually made after the third or fourth game of the year. Do we get better players out there? I honestly don't know. I watched nearly every game this year via live streaming on my lap top. There was no way to keep up with who was on the field for punt and KO returns. Can someone tell us who the guys were that mostly played on those teams?

We have the talent. We have return guys. We need a punter and we need better blocking on KO and Punt Returns. And please, no more fair catches inside the seven or eight yard line.
Travelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #37
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Why do so many of our threads get hijacked about Auburn football? pathetic.

Guess someone is under the mistaken impression that we care.

Beginning to agree with the Bama fan who said, 'Don't be silly. I just like to season my firewood on the stump - same way Ellis seasons his defense.'

Heck, I can even sum up Gus' power-run O in one word -necessity.

Now, back to USC special teams. Seen enough masochistic punters. Time we gave a sadist a shot. LOL.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #38
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
Guess someone is under the mistaken impression that we care.

Beginning to agree with the Bama fan who said, 'Don't be silly. I just like to season my firewood on the stump - same way Ellis seasons his defense.'

Heck, I can even sum up Gus' power-run O in one word -necessity.

Now, back to USC special teams. Seen enough masochistic punters. Time we gave a sadist a shot. LOL.
That sums it up nicely.
Travelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #39
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

In 2012 I think we were Top 10 in the country for Punt Returns, Ace was the man.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #40
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
In 2012 I think we were Top 10 in the country for Punt Returns, Ace was the man.
I thought about that. I wonder how bad the kickoff returns were to bring it down.