CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Badazcock
SC Sandlapper
B-G
Cockflame1701
Coulwoodwarlord
CockyBoy09
ultimatetailgater
Gamecocks1137
markymark550
Outland
Why is everyone anti (2404)
Busta out indefinite (1448)
How did we not make (1365)
Miss St. defense (1131)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
SOS says his next st (1111)
Our Road Upset Wins (988)
Let us clarify some (740)
No easy road for our (481)
Roll call for Auburn (468)
World of Warcraft, CSGO,
Our Road Upset Wins
Michael Sams done in Dall
Miss St. defense
To ANYONE complaining abo
CBSSports SEC prediction
SOS says his next stop is
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
2016 - Issac Nauta
SI scoring projections

Old 10-31-2013, 01:24 AM   #21
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn
Default Re: Bianca Cuevas - 2014 WBB Prospect - 5'6 Point Guard

If anyone can't get the best out of her it will be Dawn.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #22
JDuro
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 608
JDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his comb

Segment about Bianca in this Nov. 3 NY Times article by William C. Rhoden about the Rose Classic basketball tournament in Brooklyn.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/04/sp...sic.html?_r=1&

Quote:
For Bianca Cuevas, basketball in general and the Rose Classic in particular have been a lifeline. Cuevas, one of the nation’s top high school players, was born in the Bronx. She began playing basketball when she was 3 and had a local reputation as an outstanding player by age 10. But it was at the Rose Classic that she earned a national reputation.

“This was my first real, real tournament,” she said. “When I was younger playing in other regular games, I used to just kill them. You didn’t have to prove anything to anybody. When you came here, you had to prove to people who you were, if you were good or not.

“When I started playing in this tournament, I started playing against girls who were actually good in basketball. It made me better.”

Cuevas’s mother died when she was a baby, and her father was not in her life. There was a network of friends, mentors and coaches. And there was basketball. Her uncle was an anchor in her life — and a coach — until he died last year. Now her godmother takes care of her.

Cuevas, a senior at Nazareth Regional in Brooklyn, will attend South Carolina on a basketball scholarship next fall.

“Basketball has been a good experience for me,” she said. “I could have chosen the wrong path; I could have done something else. Basketball has made me want to be a better person and actually do something with my life.”

JDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #23
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDuro View Post
Segment about Bianca in this Nov. 3 NY Times article by William C. Rhoden about the Rose Classic basketball tournament in Brooklyn.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/04/sp...sic.html?_r=1&
Regardless of what she does here on the court...she has found her way out to get a free education and she is already a winner in my book.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Regardless of what she does here on the court...she has found her way out to get a free education and she is already a winner in my book.
Roosterboy, you hit the nail squarely on the head. If Gamecock Nation can't find it in its' collective heart to support someone like Bianca, then I gotta ask 'Lord, what are we here for?'
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #25
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material

^As fans, that should be one of our main jobs - supporting our teams and students through thick and thin and screaming at the top of our lungs to bring home a victory.

Last edited by Cockhornleghorn; 12-23-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Cockhornleghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #26
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Your heart can't help but go out to this young lady. She's had a tough childhood. This is one that needs all the support she can get and I think she is in the right place.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #27
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

Bianca evidently signed this morning , per twitter . I would imagine USC will have something on the front page of their site pretty soon . Also notice the tweet from yesterday about Cuevas addressing her school .

Joe Fenelon ‏@NYGHoops 1h Congrats to Nazareth Regional HS Bianca Cuevas on signing her NLOI to play Basketball @UofSC pic.twitter.com/qyDV2okHBY

Joseph Staszewski ‏@CNG_Staszewski 18h
Naz guard and South Carolina commit Bianca Cuevas breaks down as she addresses the school. Teammates come around her for a touching moment
scfastpitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #28
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Welcome to the Gamecocks, Bianca! That completes the class in the early signing period as far as the ones who had been commitments. Now Coach Staley can put all her focus on recruiting Aja Wilson....
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #29
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

Welcome to Columbia, Bianca! I can't wait to see your basketball wizardry!
Old 11-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Some say they left their heart in San Francisco.
Think DS just found ours in NYC.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #31
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Great Post and I agree with you 100%, everyone loves titles and winning but it is about the kids and making the world a better place the other stuff is just icing on the cake!
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

Apparently she is a little fireplug at 5'2". I bet she is similar to Dawn Staley when she came out of high school.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #33
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

Cuevas on home page of Hoopgurls . Named MVP in her division of NIKE Tournament of Champions .

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commen...ment-champions

Last edited by scfastpitch; 12-23-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #34
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

They say dynamite comes in small packages.
Hey, Jack and Skippy, help me keep an eye on this one.
Comes from Jackie & Frank's old stomping grounds.
A little lightered knot from the NYC playgrounds.

Lightered knot?? LOL. Yep, look it up, guys.
They used to make dynamite outta that stuff.
Can't wait to see her & KD ramrod the bigs Dawn's signin'.
Bet she even knows the diff 'tween a cow & a horse.

The Four Horsemen's 'weak link' Frank Standard didn't.
Gary Gregor had to set him straight - Holsteins are cows.
Turned out Sneaky Frank was an expert on pigeons tho.
Like Aleighsa, he was the glue that held his team together.

FYI by the time his playin' days were done, Standard's list of pigeon's included quite a few legendary coaches including Dean Smith, Vic Bubas, Bones McKinney, Lefty Drisell.

Playing on a team that included two first round picks in the NBA draft (Gary&Skip) & the best ball-handler/passer I ever saw(Jack), Frank Standard was named first-team all-ACC small forward his senior year.

Love to watch the great ones play, but Frank taught me to look beyond them for the one who's the glue that holds the puzzle together.

Been having fun keeping track of AW's pigeons as well. And if you've ever handled fresh-cut fat lightered, you know it's as sticky as glue.

Last edited by OldPat; 12-23-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #35
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
They say dynamite comes in small packages.
Hey, Jack and Skippy, help me keep an eye on this one.
Comes from Jackie & Frank's old stomping grounds.
A little lightered knot from the NYC playgrounds.

Lightered knot?? LOL. Yep, look it up, guys.
They used to make dynamite outta that stuff.
Can't wait to see her & KD ramrod the bigs Dawn's signin'.
Bet she even knows the diff 'tween a cow & a horse.

The Four Horsemen's 'weak link' Frank Standard didn't.
Gary Gregor had to set him straight - Holsteins are cows.
Turned out Sneaky Frank was an expert on pigeons tho.
Like Aleighsa, he was the glue that held his team together.

FYI by the time his playin' days were done, Standard's list of pigeon's included quite a few legendary coaches including Dean Smith, Vic Bubas, Bones McKinney, Lefty Drisell.

Playing on a team that included two first round picks in the NBA draft (Gary&Skip) & the best ball-handler/passer I ever saw(Jack), Frank Standard was named first-team all-ACC small forward his senior year.

Love to watch the great ones play, but Frank taught me to look beyond them for the one who's the glue that holds the puzzle together.

Been having fun keeping track of AW's pigeons as well. And if you've ever handled fresh-cut fat lightered, you know it's as sticky as glue.
At worst, Bianca might require a little more development , much like one of Frank's later NYC point guards Jackie Gilloon . Gilloon was pretty wild and erratic his first couple of years (on and off the court) , but eventually settled down and became a good PG . I'll never forget some of Frank's comments on Gilloon . I think Jackie was the one who had the embarrassing little traffic mishap , when Frank said " He played bumper cars in five points " . But the main comment I remember was an after-the-game quote early in Gilloon's career . Jackie had come in late in a blowout and made some fancy fast-break passes . A reporter commented on it and Frank sighed and said " He can run . If I can only teach him to walk . "
Old 12-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #36
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
At worst, Bianca might require a little more development , much like one of Frank's later NYC point guards Jackie Gilloon . Gilloon was pretty wild and erratic his first couple of years (on and off the court) , but eventually settled down and became a good PG . I'll never forget some of Frank's comments on Gilloon . I think Jackie was the one who had the embarrassing little traffic mishap , when Frank said " He played bumper cars in five points " . But the main comment I remember was an after-the-game quote early in Gilloon's career . Jackie had come in late in a blowout and made some fancy fast-break passes . A reporter commented on it and Frank sighed and said " He can run . If I can only teach him to walk . "
LOL. If you're right, scfp, Dawn better pay a visit to her hairdresser & get a little something to wash the gray away. Jackie G & Jimmy Graziano gave Frank#1 more than a few.

Actually I think BC will be a little more appreciative than those two because she's had a tougher time growing up, but I do love the idea that KS can show her the ropes & mentor her for a couple of yrs before BC will be expected to shoulder the burden.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #37
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Congrats to Bianca for being selected to the 2014 McDonald's All-American game:

http://epkzone.com/2014allamericanga...eam_Roster.pdf

ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:13 PM   #38
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

Way to go, Bianca! I hope the game is on TV.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:20 PM   #39
JDuro
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 608
JDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his combJDuro is developing his comb

Congratulations Bianca!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Way to go, Bianca! I hope the game is on TV.
It will be. April 2nd on ESPNU @ 7:00.

Last edited by JDuro; 01-29-2014 at 11:57 PM.
JDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #40
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDuro View Post
Congratulations Bianca!!!!

It will be. April 2nd on ESPNU @ 7:00.
Hope they play BC, JW &AW together. Would love to see a preview of what I hope will be. Misogyny, your days are numbered in ole SC.