CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
donbgamecock
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
markymark550
Captain9Dragons
BlackMagic84
Fight, win, kick a-- (1438)
The Gator Bowl wants (1095)
Why I'm hopeful abou (1089)
CFN prediction for a (951)
A simple defensive l (832)
USC will upset Aubur (824)
In-state QB talent (671)
Texas athletic direc (422)
This is War (399)
SEC Debate: Best can (366)
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
Cann tipping plays?
Rest of the season predic
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
The Gator Bowl wants us!
A simple defensive line &
In-state QB talent
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Texas athletic director:

Old 01-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #41
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Re: Drew Brees Screws Over Jimmy Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
I don't know what the OP has against Bree's. He hated on him when he wanted to get the 21 mil dollar contract. The guy gets 5-15 years in the NFL let him get his, and you worry about you. If the Saints don't want to pay it they wouldn't, just like if the Saints don't want to pay Graham they don't have to, but Graham has the option to go to another team. It's all about what are teams willing to do.
My beef with that douchebag is he sat and said that the Bounty system did not happen when it was proven it had. Cam Newton and Steve Smith were both targets in Bountygate but I guess when two of your favorite players were targets then you might understand. I would love to see him take a career ending hit just for defending Sean Payton and the rest of those players in Bountygate, it couldn't happen to a more deserving POS.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #42
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Another poster said this, The TE is more than what it used to be. Heck Pats won some SB with some helacious TE's able to go out, and get the catches. The pay needs to be increased for the position almost to a WR if that is the case. This guy is being lined up as a Slot receiver, he wants to get extra because of that. I think he should still be called TE, and get a WR pay though. This is all about wanting a raise, and I don't have a problem with it.
I don't have a problem with him wanting a raise, but I don't have a problem with teams using franchise tags either. There is something to be said about teams not losing all their good players to free agency under a salary cap. It's a business and you don't always get what you want. He may be a very productive TE, but he is still a TE and he can't weasel his way out of that because he wants more money.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #43
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I don't have a problem with him wanting a raise, but I don't have a problem with teams using franchise tags either. There is something to be said about teams not losing all their good players to free agency under a salary cap. It's a business and you don't always get what you want. He may be a very productive TE, but he is still a TE and he can't weasel his way out of that because he wants more money.
I would not call it weaseling when it's written into the CBA. It's pretty clear that you get paid on where you line up. JG lines up more as a WR and is as productive or more productive than a WR.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #44
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

You mean to tell me that Drew Brees called his TE a TE?! My god. What a douche bag. I wouldn't want somebody like that on my team.

Brees is still an employee and the face of the team. Wouldn't be smart for him to snub upper management by saying things in the media that aren't even true, especially when his comments will have no impact on Graham's contract.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #45
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
I would not call it weaseling when it's written into the CBA. It's pretty clear that you get paid on where you line up. JG lines up more as a WR and is as productive or more productive than a WR.
Yet he is listed as TE is on the depth chart as TE, and he does a lot of the time line up as a TE.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #46
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yet he is listed as TE is on the depth chart as TE, and he does a lot of the time line up as a TE.
Yeah but that's not what the CBA says about tagging. Seems like if the owners don't want to pay like that they should have fought it in the CBA. They won everything else in those negotiations so I bet they'd have won this too. I bet they address it next go around.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:45 PM   #47
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Yeah but that's not what the CBA says about tagging. Seems like if the owners don't want to pay like that they should have fought it in the CBA. They won everything else in those negotiations so I bet they'd have won this too. I bet they address it next go around.
Of course they don't, because to them he is their TE. They never contemplated him claiming that he is a WR just becuase of the offensive plays they choose to call. They structured other players contracts based on that. Jimmy wants to get paid and that is understandable, it also understandable why some of his team mates would want to give him the middle finger for him not wanting to take one for the team when they need him to. Brees wants the guy back, and without tagging him it looks like that isn't happening, so I don't blame Brees one bit.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #48
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Of course they don't, because to them he is their TE. They never contemplated him claiming that he is a WR just becuase of the offensive plays they choose to call. They structured other players contracts based on that. Jimmy wants to get paid and that is understandable, it also understandable why some of his team mates would want to give him the middle finger for him not wanting to take one for the team when they need him to. Brees wants the guy back, and without tagging him it looks like that isn't happening, so I don't blame Brees one bit.
Maybe Brees should have taken less than his market value. Well he didn't and don't expect JG too either.

For the record I think JG is a douche and I can't stand him or Brees but both should be paid their market value.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #49
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Maybe Brees should have taken less than his market value. Well he didn't and don't expect JG too either.

For the record I think JG is a douche and I can't stand him or Brees but both should be paid their market value.
Please. Drew Brees IS the New Orleans Saints, and he had to wait a heck of a lot longer to get paid what he was worth. I am not a Saints fan, but I can see that team waiving Graham bye bye. He isn't someone irreplaceable.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:05 PM   #50
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Please. Drew Brees IS the New Orleans Saints, and he had to wait a heck of a lot longer to get paid what he was worth.
He waited longer for a reason - that reason is that he was not as productive until he got into Sean Payton's system. Payton IS the Saints but no one is advocating for him getting 20 million a year.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #51
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 6001866
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material

The problem with paying him as a Franchise WR is that he isn't a Franchise WR. He is a great TE, but he would'nt have the same success as a WR. I think that Seattle pretty much showed that in the playoffs when they covered him like a WR and he didn't do squat. That being said I'm about 70% sure that they work out a deal without having to use the Franchise tag. It's all posturing at this point. Graham likes playing with Brees and doesn't want to risk getting a little more money from another team and then becoming irrelavant because he doesn't have a great QB throwing to him.
Recently the difference between Clemson and Carolina has become clear. While Irrational People Talk About Yesterday, The Rational Ones Orchestrate Success Today. So as they desperately cling to their history, we continue to make history day by day.
markp_vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #52
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Calling Jimmy Graham a TE is like calling Mike Tolbert a FB. But if the Saints* want to pay Breesus and Graham a huge portion of their salary cap by all means do so, they are already 12 million over the cap for next season already.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #53
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Calling Jimmy Graham a TE is like calling Mike Tolbert a FB.
The Toldozer is a FB. Only had 361 rushing. In 2010 you could have made RB argument when he had almost 1000 yds (rushing plus receiving)

JG had 1215 receiving (15th) and 16 TD (1st)
Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #54
B-G
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPitB-G rules the CockPit

Quote:
Calling Jimmy Graham a TE is like calling Mike Tolbert a FB. But if the Saints* want to pay Breesus and Graham a huge portion of their salary cap by all means do so, they are already 12 million over the cap for next season already.
Might as well call most TEs WRs now days.

Very confused why you are putting an asterisk after Saints.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #55
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
My beef with that douchebag is he sat and said that the Bounty system did not happen when it was proven it had. Cam Newton and Steve Smith were both targets in Bountygate but I guess when two of your favorite players were targets then you might understand. I would love to see him take a career ending hit just for defending Sean Payton and the rest of those players in Bountygate, it couldn't happen to a more deserving POS.
Ever heard of being left in the dark? I'm sure they were like Hey Brees were targeting people and trying to knock them out of the game. Heeuck. If this was mainly the Defense than wouldn't you think the offense wouldn't know much about it? He probably didn't know, and i'm sure he would deny it until it was proven that they did. It's like cheating, you don't know someone is cheating until they are caught, until then it's just a person who is making a good grade.

Quote:
I personally think the caps should be guidelines more than a rule. If they have a TE that is performing better than their WR's on the team than pay him more than the WR's. It sounds like they pay based on the positisons. Just like if you have a Defense that is winning you games, pay them more than you pay your offensive players. Now the top end cap I think that should be a rule in all sports. The Yankees won most of their World Series because of the advantage of the amount of money they have to spend on their team.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:15 PM   #56
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
He waited longer for a reason - that reason is that he was not as productive until he got into Sean Payton's system. Payton IS the Saints but no one is advocating for him getting 20 million a year.
He still needs a superstar QB to run his system. His system isn't going to be so successful with some run-of-the-mill QB. Only future HOF can have the same success in it. Lord knows they haven't been winning with defense.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #57
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
They can't afford to pay Graham his full market value, and Graham doesn't want wait to be paid it. That is what this all about. The Saints won't pay it trust me. The Saints want to keep him that is why they will try to tag him, but if that falls through for some reason than Graham wants to be a Saint it is going to be up to Graham.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:24 PM   #58
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

anyone who argues that Graham is a TE doesnt watch NFL football......and doesnt understand why it would be important to label Graham as a WR and not TE
Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #59
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
Might as well call most TEs WRs now days.

Very confused why you are putting an asterisk after Saints.
The Saints* won the Super Bowl with Bountygate in full force, that Super Bowl should have been stripped just like the Patriots during Spygate. The NFL spent millions to help keep the Saints* in NOLA after Katrina and how do they thank the NFL, they create a bounty system that promoted and rewarded players for going out to try and injury and end other player's careers.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #60
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Quote:
Ever heard of being left in the dark? I'm sure they were like Hey Brees were targeting people and trying to knock them out of the game. Heeuck. If this was mainly the Defense than wouldn't you think the offense wouldn't know much about it? He probably didn't know, and i'm sure he would deny it until it was proven that they did. It's like cheating, you don't know someone is cheating until they are caught, until then it's just a person who is making a good grade.

Don't try and even say in the dark there are 50 players that share a locker room and not once did not even accidentally let the bounty slip? Brees even said after the facts had been proven that the bounties were occurring he still denied it.