CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
carcosa
**USC vs. Clemson GA (5661)
looks like we have 2 (2025)
Decommitment from Te (940)
Beat Miami (823)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (661)
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBA (644)
Cleveland Browns Hea (627)
Garcia and Clemsux T (613)
Need a dog kennel (249)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (179)
Previewing Clemson
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
The Vent and Coaching cha
How Long Will The Rebuild
So, why is next year goin
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
2015 - Mark Fields
Duck Bowl Depth Chart
Four USC Basketball Games
looks like we have 2 OL r

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:22 PM   #2221
4gamecockfb
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: 2014 Recruiting Impressions

I'd like to get daly too im just not sure if he can be swayed from nc.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #2222
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Phil Kornblut believes we hurt ourselves at Havelock with the Kendall Vickers situation, at least in part it contributed to Scott's decision.

Awesome.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #2223
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 57400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Phil Kornblut believes we hurt ourselves at Havelock with the Kendall Vickers situation, at least in part it contributed to Scott's decision.

Awesome.
That is the one thing I really hate about recruiting. A kid doesn't qualify so you offer to place them and save them a spot in the next class. Another school with lower standards gets him admitted and all of a sudden the school who was working to get them placed is some sort of bad guy for not lowering standards. Happened with Arkie Smith as well. Same thing with all these HS. Coaches who want their ego stroked because they have a kid on their team that is D1 bound, if you don't kiss his ass you never get to see kids at the school again. Just stupid.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:13 PM   #2224
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post

Awesome.
Yep. That was another bad part about not getting him. It's a bigger deal than what most people want to admit.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:36 PM   #2225
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
Yep. That was another bad part about not getting him. It's a bigger deal than what most people want to admit.

I don't think we did anything wrong in the Vickers situation. Our coaches were upfront with him all the time about the situation.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:43 PM   #2226
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

If I recall correctly, we gave Vickers a chance when he wasn't highly sought and seemed a kind of tweener. The landing at another school is something that happens because of different admissions policies. Any recruit who isn't suspect about what's going on at Tennessee has to be wearing some sort of blinders.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #2227
Transmaniacon
Any Major Dude

Male

Transmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot materialTransmaniacon is USC mascot material

Vickers didn't seem upset at all when this went down. He even called our program a "class act" for how we handled it. See the link for the story at the time with quotes from Vickers.

http://http://www.gogamecocks.com/20...s-to-sign.html
Old 01-31-2014, 02:12 PM   #2228
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

My overall impression so far is that we've recruited for needs, initially thinking our class would be limited to 14-16 kids. Later developments seem to point to bringing in 21- 23, with misses on a couple of targets causing some late moves to come into play. There may be a couple of non-qualifiers or silent decommits known to the coaches who are making backup plans. I think we are going heavy DL and too light on OL, but don't see available OL talent we want to invest a scholarship in. I think we will sign or grayshirt a running back and maybe a versitile, but unpursued athlete.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:44 PM   #2229
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

My (humble, hope it's completely off-base) opinion: we land Lammons and Gibson, lose Green and BAW flips to UGA.

Hope I'm wrong about the latter 2.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #2230
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
My (humble, hope it's completely off-base) opinion: we land Lammons and Gibson, lose Green and BAW flips to UGA.

Hope I'm wrong about the latter 2.
I hope you are too. That would be absolutely disastrous.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #2231
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
I hope you are too. That would be absolutely disastrous.
The more I think about BAW taking all of these visits the more it bothers me w/r/t his commitment and points to uncertainty on his part. I understand the whole "he may see these coaches again at the next level" and "you're only a recruit once" stuff but you don't see Nick Chubb coming to South Carolina this weekend. Leonard Fournette isn't going to Texas this weekend. And yet the highest rated recruit we presently have (and are likely to have) is taking official visits to Alabama (understandable) and Georgia, our primary rival in the Eastern division.

I'm not one for the "if you're committed then you don't take other visits". It's the proximity of the visit to NSD and the UGA component. Just doesn't feel right.

Again: only based on my own feeling and I hope (x 10000000000) that I'm dead wrong.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #2232
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
The more I think about BAW taking all of these visits the more it bothers me w/r/t his commitment and points to uncertainty on his part. I understand the whole "he may see these coaches again at the next level" and "you're only a recruit once" stuff but you don't see Nick Chubb coming to South Carolina this weekend. Leonard Fournette isn't going to Texas this weekend. And yet the highest rated recruit we presently have (and are likely to have) is taking official visits to Alabama (understandable) and Georgia, our primary rival in the Eastern division.

I'm not one for the "if you're committed then you don't take other visits". It's the proximity of the visit to NSD and the UGA component. Just doesn't feel right.

Again: only based on my own feeling and I hope (x 10000000000) that I'm dead wrong.
You make good points, particularly about players taking other visits. I understand that a player is only a recruit once, but taking OV's when you know a school is going to do everything they can to switch you, as well as have in-homes, is concerning. He's said all the right things, but there is still some lingering doubt. Players say all the time they're "just taking the free visit," and then it turns out to be something more than that. Now he's apparently watching the Super Bowl at Richt's house? No one can tell that's not the least bit concerning.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #2233
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
rrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talonsrrsandersjr has developed his gaff and talons

Yall do know that he asked for our permission to take those visits...he siad that he would not have gone if we told him no.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #2234
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsandersjr View Post
Yall do know that he asked for our permission to take those visits...he siad that he would not have gone if we told him no.
That prevents him from potentially changing his mind?
Old 01-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #2235
ReadR00ster
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsandersjr View Post
I am sure our coaches appreciate that, but I don't think we would ever forbid a guy from taking a visit. Recruits should explore all their options and make sure of where they really want to go. It seems like a test of who remains loyal to me.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #2236
SCohioBoy
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 999880
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

Again I wish people would ban themselves till after signing day.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:19 PM   #2237
garnet&black1998rn
Recruit

Male

garnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPit

Gee can a couple of you guys find a building with just one and a half floors and jump off hourly until Wednesday ? LOL .... it would make several of the people who read these threads feel better about recruiting this year. Thanks. JK....holey cow really that much disbelief over what 2 recruits have said and done. Don't think brainwashing is a legal recruiting tool in the SEC.....but with UcheaT I could be wrong. Think BAW has said mother may I of the coaches and his MOM. SHEESH.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #2238
garnet&black1998rn
Recruit

Male

garnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPitgarnet&black1998rn rules the CockPit

Quote:
That's it, the thing he uses that apparently many other don't .....his brain. That's what prevents him from recruiting others to schools he is not interested in. But that is just BAW recruiter for USC,,,, cause he can and he must want to, seems he's discussed USC with other possible recruits . But then you know that and just wanna' have a complaint /gripe/ negative feeling too feel alive. Ok then there you go.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:11 PM   #2239
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Spurrier does not seem the sort of man that would worry about it enough to ban a kid from taking a trip to another school.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:50 PM   #2240
b381l
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000052205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
no but it shows how much he respects our school and Whammy.....again, for the 1,000th time, he told them he would visit and he doesn't want to burn any bridges. When he got back from the Alabama visit last week, you know who the first person he called after his Mom, that's right Whammy. This kid is so legit, some of you just can't believe kids like this can be this honest and have this much intergrity.
Closed Thread