CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
3MTA3
JerseyBird
GarnetSwarm1990
ertman420
rosstheboss
Ericvol2096
spareparts
usc90grad
MWard
ESPN article on Clow (1065)
Clemson Georgia Game (834)
Mangus now coaching (716)
Can Tennessee get to (523)
Chick Redefines the (314)
Spread vs. aTm (263)
The Bama series (254)
Truly Inspiring (226)
Dodge NY Auto Show N (218)
2 Crazy things (196)
2015 - Taj Griffin
Worse Hire Brad Scott or
2 Crazy things
The Bama series
2016 - Issac Nauta
2015 - Davon Durant
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
Can Tennessee get to a Bo
Mangus now coaching TEs
**USC vs. USC-Upstate GAM

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #15801
GamecockDad1531
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPitGamecockDad1531 rules the CockPit
Default Re: 2014 - Jerry Gibson

Can he punt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #15802
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 View Post
Got to admit Im a little skeptical though. Kid is from Alabama on a big highschool stage with coaches and media watching every game, and by the end of his career he is still rated a 2-star by Rivals and the 60th best TE prospect by 247...not even RB or another projected position. He has been observed by everyone and he is still rated very low is my concern.

Someone say something to make me feel better about this one..
He is the type player who needs to be in the right system.
He also strikes me as the type guy who will need a RS and grow through the program, but probably won't contribute offensively under his RS soph or JR year.

He also doesn't strike me as an every down type guy...
A lot like Brandon Wilds...could come in, get about 10-12 carries a game and catch a few balls out of the backfield.

As stated earlier, really more of a redzone threat, or on a 3rd and 2, could come in and get those tough yards.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Old 01-31-2014, 05:06 PM   #15803
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 View Post
I got it when we werent winning 11 games a year yeah
we didn't win 11 games with Ingram and Taylor? Maybe if we had a QB as good as Connor Shaw we'd have more 11 win seasons?
Old 01-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #15804
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

A lot would depend on his dedication, willingness to work, coachability, and other factors. His measured times aren't impressive, his vertical is not good, he runs straight up, and he is an unknown in several aspects. Kelvin Rainey is similar in size, faster, with a great vertical, and can't get on the field. I hope we get a better prospect, especially an OL. The coaches will have to look deeply into this considering our needs. Of course, if we don't start using our tight ends better, we might not get any more top prospects. If another development player is needed, find another Zandi.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #15805
sgacock
4-Star

Male

sgacock is developing his combsgacock is developing his combsgacock is developing his combsgacock is developing his combsgacock is developing his combsgacock is developing his combsgacock is developing his combsgacock is developing his combsgacock is developing his combsgacock is developing his comb
Default Re: 2014 - Kaylon "Poona" Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I guess they don't have bars and keggers and rowdy women in Austin Texas. Anyone else want to make up some incredibly weak excuses why Poona would not want to visit the campus of his, as Poona himself has said, "dream school?" So BJ Payne is telling Poona we are nothing but a bunch of rowdy troublemakers in this state? That is his GOOD excuse?
If you are making a second reply to my post:

Everywhere has bars and keggers. Three cousins and half your high school posse showing up to persuade you to hit those spots too frequently is quite different.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:18 PM   #15806
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by boness View Post
Interesting possiblity. The experience with Spain having been encouraged by Stanford to choose them due to academics leading him to instead choose UNC over them and us and "kill two birds with one stone" exemplifies the curvy road that is recruiting.

Another possiblility noted to me is the HC's father played at CU. Don't doubt the father did play for CU. That would explain the HC's action were he leading Ford to CU vs SC but, as some have pointed out, it seems Ford is being encouraged to leave the state entirely which doesn't seem to necessarily support the CU vs SC perspective but ...?? It is an interesting "soap" regardless of the motives.
So because Poona's coach played for Clemson that makes is perfectly fine reason for the coach to hijack his player's recruiting an have USC eliminated from Poona's list? HIS FIRST MAJOR OFFER? Payne's motivation is not what is important. What is important is that he has crossed the line of decency and appropriate behavior for what a HS coach when their player is being recruited. He is a HS coach, he is not the guy's agent and he does not need to be acting like he is.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #15807
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Are there no more uncommitted OL out there that we might sway? I just don't see the need in bringing this guy in.

I'm certainly not a coach though and they sure as hell have earned my trust so what the hell do I know?
Old 01-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #15808
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgacock View Post
If you are making a second reply to my post:

Everywhere has bars and keggers. Three cousins and half your high school posse showing up to persuade you to hit those spots too frequently is quite different.
If you can't trust your own cousins who the hell can you trust. Anywhere he goes he is going to make friends that are going to try to go out partying with them. At least if you are closer the home it makes it easier for your parents to check up on you and keep you some what in line. If you have family and friends near by you can expect them to look out for you. If you are half way across the country, your kid could be doing God-knows-what with God-knows-who, because you as a parent never met any of them. When I went to USC I almost failed my first year too because of partying. It wasn't because I hung out with people I knew before I went to college kept getting me in trouble, it was because the freaks on my floor were rowdy as heck and I couldn't really study or sleep anyways, so why not get drunk and stoned too? I didn't know any of those people when I moved in.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #15809
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

This kid will be a good player as a TE or DE. I dont see him as an RB. Too slow and runs too high. The Derrick Henry comparisons are hilarious. Henry clocked a 4.37 laser time at 230+ lbs in HS.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #15810
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Are there no more uncommitted OL out there that we might sway? I just don't see the need in bringing this guy in.

I'm certainly not a coach though and they sure as hell have earned my trust so what the hell do I know?
CC said it was because Kalan Ritchie will be moving to DE when he steps on campus, so they need another TE.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #15811
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

I agree I think we need an OT
Old 01-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #15812
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAY^# View Post
This kid will be a good player as a TE or DE. I dont see him as an RB. Too slow and runs too high. The Derrick Henry comparisons are hilarious. Henry clocked a 4.37 laser time at 230+ lbs in HS.
I said he COULD be MADE our VERSION not that he was going to be as good. And Henry doesn't run a 4.37 now. A poor man's Derrick Henry could probably win the Heisman most years.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #15813
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I said he COULD be MADE our VERSION not that he was going to be as good. And Henry doesn't run a 4.37 now. A poor man's Derrick Henry could probably win the Heisman most years.
I just think it is funny imagining a player to be another player. Thats like saying imagine that Connor Mitch could be our Peyton Manning. Henry still runs at the worst in the 4.5 range now, which is extremely fast for a guy his size. I just don't see this kid ever running that speed let alone playing RB in the SEC.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #15814
FurmanCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 540
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Recruiting Q&A with Phil Kornblut

For those of us without subscriptions, any groundbreaking revelations?
Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #15815
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Man...what a violent runner.
Runs a 4.5 at 215 lbs and can catch out of the backfield...could be another Brandon Wilds-type back.

And, he fits our system of getting bigger, more physical backs (Cory Boyd, Mike Davis-25, Marcus Lattimore, Mike Davis-28)
Rooster, where did you get that 40 time? His 247sports.com profile says he runs a 4.83, 40.

He plays at Theodore HS west of Mobile. They aren't a great program but they play some very good teams in the Mobile area.
doc
Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #15816
USCfootball
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 106666
USCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his clawsUSCfootball is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
1. Cook, Saunders and Cunningham are all on NFL Teams.

2. He's also an athlete, he could be a big receiver or better yet for this class, a RB. Watch the highlight film.

Could you enlighten me on how the TE's were used this year?
Old 01-31-2014, 05:59 PM   #15817
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccock View Post
Rooster, where did you get that 40 time? His 247sports.com profile says he runs a 4.83, 40.

He plays at Theodore HS west of Mobile. They aren't a great program but they play some very good teams in the Mobile area.
doc
4.59 according to Rivals.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #15818
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAY^# View Post
I just think it is funny imagining a player to be another player. Thats like saying imagine that Connor Mitch could be our Peyton Manning. Henry still runs at the worst in the 4.5 range now, which is extremely fast for a guy his size. I just don't see this kid ever running that speed let alone playing RB in the SEC.
He runs it now, you can tell he has that kind of speed just by watching his film.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:02 PM   #15819
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
What are you saying that Anderson and Adams were used this year? They were used plenty. Just that to SOME people around here they will NEVER be used enough.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:20 PM   #15820
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCfootball View Post
I don't think one year speaks to a standard volume Tight Ends get. It was a much more consistent year for receivers, with 4 having 4+ TD's. Compare that to 2012 when we had 2 receivers with 4+ TD's.