CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingoftheroost
b381l
Gamecocks1137
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
Yearofthegamecock
Badazcock
henmania
ACPhilson
ReadR00ster
Polls (3803)
Gameday Sign Ideas (3766)
Clem5on fans are bes (2647)
Dylan Thompson's pas (2142)
ST coach fired this (2092)
Let's talk about Mat (1312)
Celebrity Guest Pick (1104)
Hardest Schedule (1101)
Rank the SEC startin (622)
So, um, yeah the NFL (519)
Dylan Thompson's passing
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
7:30 kickoff for Kentucky
Celebrity Guest Picker...
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
USC -6 vs. Mizzou
Gameday Sign Ideas
D line pressure
ST coach fired this week
Upgraded/Premium Seating?

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #16101
bhs04
high motor

Male

CockyCash: 500
bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb
Default Re: 2014 - Jerry Gibson

Screw tight end.

This is the guy we should have been going after for RB all along.

He is a little tall but his pads always seem to be at the right level. How did ole Saint Nick miss this guy? He is what a bama back looks like.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #16102
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
Screw tight end.

This is the guy we should have been going after for RB all along.

He is a little tall but his pads always seem to be at the right level. How did ole Saint Nick miss this guy? He is what a bama back looks like.
We might use him as and H- back.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #16103
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
We might use him as and H- back.
Well that's fine, as long as we actually use him.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #16104
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Anderson and Adams will probably both be drafted. We have Jared Cook making big bucks, Justice Cunningham is with the Rams too. Wesyle Saunders hasn't quite got kicked out of the NFL for good yet. We have a good track record with TE regardless how many passes they get throw to them.
If Anderson and Adams both make it and we wind up with 5 active tight ends in the NFL, we'd basically be TEU (along with DBU and soon to be DLU). I've always wanted the HBC to use the tight ends more myself, but it is working out pretty well for these guys.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #16105
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
If Anderson and Adams both make it and we wind up with 5 active tight ends in the NFL, we'd basically be TEU (along with DBU and soon to be DLU). I've always wanted the HBC to use the tight ends more myself, but it is working out pretty well for these guys.
Anderson is ranked pretty high for the 2015 draft. He was like #3 by some rankings before last year. Adams was around#16. I think Anderson leaves early, Adams probably stays for his senior year, and I think he get's drafted in 2016.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:10 PM   #16106
kabercr2
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
kabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his clawskabercr2 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Anderson is ranked pretty high for the 2015 draft. He was like #3 by some rankings before last year. Adams was around#16. I think Anderson leaves early, Adams probably stays for his senior year, and I think he get's drafted in 2016.
Busta has to leave after this year, he will be a senior.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #16107
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
Well that's fine, as long as we actually use him.
Well, either way, we need depth, and this guy can play a lot of positions.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #16108
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

I just watched his highlight video, and anyone complaining about this offer should do themselves a favor and watch it now. Screw the star rating, this kid is a damn good athlete and a ferocious football player who seeks contact like a pissed off bull. He's 6-3 220 and he'll only get stronger. I see a big time contributor here, wherever we use him.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #16109
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
rrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfowens View Post
ok, gents, I have been around for a while. I can see some resemblance to Gurley...but to me when I see him palying RB in his high school film clips, he looks to me like George Rogers at USC. Does anyone else see this? (of course George ran like this on college)...
I told my son the same thing...he looks a lot like Big George. Similar size, speed, strength and running style. Gibson, has the size and speed to play many positions...RB, TE, H back, DE, LB.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #16110
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Being a versatile guy with good upside should always be good to take in my opinion.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #16111
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
I just watched his highlight video, and anyone complaining about this offer should do themselves a favor and watch it now. Screw the star rating, this kid is a damn good athlete and a ferocious football player who seeks contact like a pissed off bull. He's 6-3 220 and he'll only get stronger. I see a big time contributor here, wherever we use him.
I guess it depends on the eye of the beholder. I saw a big TB run through some nice holes and make a couple of cuts but run over a number of HS defensive backs (running straight up), getting extra yardage, but breaking only a few arm tackles. I saw a DE make a couple of arm tackle sacks and break up a pass.
I think his ability to contribute at Carolina would depend on a lot of dedication and hard work. His size and (questionable) speed look more to me like a future big linebacker, small tight end, HBack, or project at RB. The coaches will likely check his background thoroughly for work-ethic and maturity. I hope he turns out to be a top player if he comes here, but I don't see him as more than a back-up development player. You never know what 1-3 years in a good system will do.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:07 PM   #16112
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
I guess it depends on the eye of the beholder. I saw a big TB run through some nice holes and make a couple of cuts but run over a number of HS defensive backs (running straight up), getting extra yardage, but breaking only a few arm tackles. I saw a DE make a couple of arm tackle sacks and break up a pass.
I think his ability to contribute at Carolina would depend on a lot of dedication and hard work. His size and (questionable) speed look more to me like a future big linebacker, small tight end, HBack, or project at RB. The coaches will likely check his background thoroughly for work-ethic and maturity. I hope he turns out to be a top player if he comes here, but I don't see him as more than a back-up development player. You never know what 1-3 years in a good system will do.
You could say most of this about ANY HS recruit including the 4 and 5 stars. He also does not have questionable speed. If the kid happened to be a 4/5 star everyone would be singing and dancing about him.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #16113
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Our coaches know we are the #4 team in the country. If they felt like this kid wasn't good enough to be offered by the #4 team in the country then they wouldn't have offered.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #16114
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
You could say most of this about ANY HS recruit including the 4 and 5 stars. He also does not have questionable speed. If the kid happened to be a 4/5 star everyone would be singing and dancing about him.
Alabama and Auburn passed on him, which sends out this idiotic idea that guy is no good.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #16115
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Alabama and Auburn passed on him, which sends out this idiotic idea that guy is no good.
Don't we play both of those programs when this recruit comes here?

M O T I V A T I O N

Shaq Attack
Old 02-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #16116
JDStud6
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsGuy View Post
There are more 3 star players in the Super Bowl than 4 star and 5 star combined. Just goes to show it really depends how much effort and determination you put into your game, I think its a great fit.

How many 3* are there vs 4 and 5? That's the key here. What you stated proves absolutely nothing about how star ratings effect performance.

JD
Old 02-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #16117
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
How many 3* are there vs 4 and 5? That's the key here. What you stated proves absolutely nothing about how star ratings effect performance.

JD

This. Amazes me people still think that is a valid argument.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:20 PM   #16118
lfowens
Walk On

lfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his clawslfowens is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsandersjr View Post
I told my son the same thing...he looks a lot like Big George. Similar size, speed, strength and running style. Gibson, has the size and speed to play many positions...RB, TE, H back, DE, LB.
Yep, someone mentioned that Gibson runs more straight up than Lattimore (of course nobody runs with pad leverage as low as Marcus), but if you watch film on Big George Rogers, he had powerful thighs and he ran straight up a lot. Also did you know that George came to Carolina with several injuries during high school that made him like a 2-3 star back (don't even think that they had star rating back then), also Georgia had passed on him....and he came in as a freshman at 6'2" and 210 lbs and played as a junior and senior at about 225 lbs. Also did you know that George originally was beat out for the tailback position by Johnny Wright so George was playing fullback (now we call it H-back), so when Johnny Wright had several injuries that is when George got his chance to start at tailback (and the rest is history). I know a little about George because he is the same age as me and one of his very best friends played college ball with me (so I got to know George a little back then)......So with all that I am not saying Gibson will end up being another George, but his high school film clips at RB sure reminds me of Big George slashing through holes and around the end and running over people at the end or his runs. I say if we have a slot, lets get this fellow, he may take a year or two to develop in college, but he looks like he could play a bunch of positions (sort of like Melvin Ingram). GO COCKS!!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #16119
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

What film are you guys watching?

He runs high, tends to go down at the point of contact and doesn't show elite speed. Can't get a read on his hands because he catches like, 4 passes in that video.

'Bama and Auburn have known about him for years and passed, and he didn't get offers from any of the other regional SEC schools.

Minnesota was his best offer, other than that it was FAMU, UAB, Tulane.

He's a big, athletic guy. He might have the work ethic to come in a be a contributor, but please stop comparing him to Lattimore and Rogers.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #16120
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
He's a big, athletic guy. He might have the work ethic to come in a be a contributor, but please stop comparing him to Lattimore and Rogers.
Good comment. A 500 yard rushing 300 yd senior season against high school competition hardly compares to the two mentioned. I, too, have hope he develops well and can contribute somewhere. I didn't see much outstanding in the highlight film I watched twice. If the coaches see something, they may go for it.
Closed Thread