CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
The Yancey
Sandstorm29
ConwayGamecock
Cocks N Stuff
Cockypantherfan
Lonnie
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
CoverTwo
cockybreeyan
Wilds & Carson B (1598)
Marquavius Lewis (1481)
So, why is next year (923)
How Long Will The Re (920)
Restaurant musts in (704)
S & F article on (419)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (334)
Brad Lawing USC / Fl (304)
Spurrier Says " (226)
Why do so many of yo (213)
Custom Jersey
So, why is next year goin
Why do so many of you guy
2015 - Mark Fields
Restaurant musts in NYC
2016 - Jordan Giberti
Shot in the arm for the D
Marquavius Lewis
The Vent and Coaching cha
75 Best Bakeries in Ameri

Old 01-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #301
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Starting Qb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
I'm sure SOS will work that out of him this spring.
It's highly unlikely you'll change 10+ years of habits in a couple months especially since it hasn't changed in the 4 years prior.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #302
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
Man, Garcia looked a little slimmer in that video.
...and quit running with his head down.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #303
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
It's highly unlikely you'll change 10+ years of habits in a couple months especially since it hasn't changed in the 4 years prior.
Or maybe he can.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #304
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Thompson is the starter until he is no longer the starter.....duh. The starter today may not be the starter in the 1st game. I don't think Spurrier will start Thompson ahead of a better QB. He doesn't have to change his opinion until game day 2014....until then....Thompson is the starter for all games played before then...lol.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #305
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

http://www.csssports.com/college-foo...prepare-season

on a different note (kind of):
Whitfield worked with Tebow, Rothlesberger, Logan Thomas, Johnny Football and Tahj Boyd

I don't what that means...

Old 01-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #306
Thundercocks- Ho!
Recruit

Male

Thundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talonsThundercocks- Ho! has developed his gaff and talons

When you are a gunslinger such as Thompson, taking risks is a part of how you play the game. Its either feast or famine for a lot of these guys. Confidence is of the utmost importance in this type of player. Which is why I bring up the change in mechanics with Thompson. It could help him reach a higher ceiling or not. Its hard changing what has been natural to you all your life. If the results don't come easy you start to press. Right now my biggest concern will be how Thompson responds when faced with adversity. I hope he trusts his ability and knows his limits when its time to suit up. I expect a lot of progress through winter and spring and last years sample size is too small to go by. Until then I'll be waiting and watching.
Thundercocks- Ho! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #307
GregoryHouse
FB = Greeb Oval

Male

CockyCash: 30400
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercocks- Ho! View Post
When you are a gunslinger such as Thompson, taking risks is a part of how you play the game. Its either feast or famine for a lot of these guys. Confidence is of the utmost importance in this type of player. Which is why I bring up the change in mechanics with Thompson. It could help him reach a higher ceiling or not. Its hard changing what has been natural to you all your life. If the results don't come easy you start to press. Right now my biggest concern will be how Thompson responds when faced with adversity. I hope he trusts his ability and knows his limits when its time to suit up. I expect a lot of progress through winter and spring and last years sample size is too small to go by. Until then I'll be waiting and watching.

I hope he develops more accuracy, especially when throwing mid-range to long-range in the right side of the field. I am not saying he is terrible going there but he could be a lot better.

If he is the main guy next season, I don't know if he can just stand back there and sling it far down the field most of the times because defenses will certainly adjust to that. But I am sure he will work hard on all parts of his game from here until the first snap.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:59 AM   #308
eaddy1847
Gamecock Since 1976

Male

CockyCash: 800
eaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot materialeaddy1847 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
I hope he develops more accuracy, especially when throwing mid-range to long-range in the right side of the field. I am not saying he is terrible going there but he could be a lot better.

If he is the main guy next season, I don't know if he can just stand back there and sling it far down the field most of the times because defenses will certainly adjust to that. But I am sure he will work hard on all parts of his game from here until the first snap.
Yeah aka Missouri. I was pretty sold on DT until that game and our offense could not score one point in three quarters. Thank God for good ol CS. Jury is still way out on DT, yeah he has shown signs of being the #1 but other times scratching your head. Spring Ball it's anyone's game.

Just renewed my 2014 GC dues (nothing like waiting to last minute) and so I will be anxiously awaiting the fight for starting QB.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #309
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah aka Missouri. I was pretty sold on DT until that game and our offense could not score one point in three quarters. Thank God for good ol CS. Jury is still way out on DT, yeah he has shown signs of being the #1 but other times scratching your head. Spring Ball it's anyone's game.
This comment always amazes me. I took the username out of the quote, because my post isn't directed at one poster. You guys would kick Thompson to the curb for Missouri when he didn't fumble twice on the goal line or drop an interception. Struggling against a team like Missouri on the road is understandable.

Losing to Tennessee wasn't, yet you still supported Shaw (as I did). Some of you weren't happy with Thompson at UCF, but he got the job done. If he hadn't, we wouldn't have finished at #4. Shaw was wonderful after Tennessee (which cost us the SEC East), but both guys contributed to our record for the past two years. Both helped us to get to where we are now.

The job is Thompson's to lose, IMHO, and unless he is injured, according to Spurrier, he is the starter. Spurrier clearly said that the battle in the spring is for #2.

Nearly anywhere else, Thompson would have been the starter his RS sophomore year. He could have transferred. Would you rather have him playing against us?

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #310
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
This comment always amazes me. I took the username out of the quote, because my post isn't directed at one poster. You guys would kick Thompson to the curb for Missouri when he didn't fumble twice on the goal line or drop an interception. Struggling against a team like Missouri on the road is understandable.

Losing to Tennessee wasn't, yet you still supported Shaw (as I did). Some of you weren't happy with Thompson at UCF, but he got the job done. If he hadn't, we wouldn't have finished at #4. Shaw was wonderful after Tennessee (which cost us the SEC East), but both guys contributed to our record for the past two years. Both helped us to get to where we are now.

The job is Thompson's to lose, IMHO, and unless he is injured, according to Spurrier, he is the starter. Spurrier clearly said that the battle in the spring is for #2.

Nearly anywhere else, Thompson would have been the starter his RS sophomore year. He could have transferred. Would you rather have him playing against us?
This is a GREAT GREAT post. It's funny how people kick Dylan because he didn't lead a scoring drive at Missouri, but quickly forget how well he played. 15-27 for 222 in ONE half. Shaw does that for a whole game and fans think he's a Heisman candidate.

I understand what Shaw did against Missouri. Probably the single greatest quarter by a USC QB in quite a while. That game pretty much defines Shaw's legacy. That said, I don't think it's fair to discount what Thompson did just because he didn't lead a scoring drive. Keep in mind we were down to the two at one point.

I still contend that we're the only fan base that the majority of the fans would rather see a RS FR over a RS SR in a year where we return loads of talent on offense.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #311
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
This is a GREAT GREAT post. It's funny how people kick Dylan because he didn't lead a scoring drive at Missouri, but quickly forget how well he played. 15-27 for 222 in ONE half. Shaw does that for a whole game and fans think he's a Heisman candidate.

I understand what Shaw did against Missouri. Probably the single greatest quarter by a USC QB in quite a while. That game pretty much defines Shaw's legacy. That said, I don't think it's fair to discount what Thompson did just because he didn't lead a scoring drive. Keep in mind we were down to the two at one point.

I still contend that we're the only fan base that the majority of the fans would rather see a RS FR over a RS SR in a year where we return loads of talent on offense.
I'm glad to see that at least one person agrees with me. Shaw was amazing at Missouri, but that's not the only game he played. Why don't we talk about Georgia? No one blamed Shaw for that loss, even though he fumbled, yet the fanbase wants to blame Thompson for Missouri, when he didn't make any big mistakes there. I wish Shaw all the best, but folks, he's gone. I hope he has a great career, and we will always remember his contributions with gratitude.

Now it's time to stop looking back and look forward.

The whole front four is coming back. Thompson will have the protection he needs to stay in the pocket and throw. I'm looking forward to TAMU.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #312
Scfan2605
Walk On

Male

Scfan2605 has hatched from the shell

Its going to be a great spring this year. Not very many teams have 3 qbs so close in talent and everything else that it could go any way. Hey might not be a bad thing.
Scfan2605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #313
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

I think our fans will look back and realize just how fortunate we were to have a guy with Thompson's experience and production to come behind Connor Shaw. Almost every other school who lost their qb (Texas A&M, UGA, Bama) would love to have this kind of guy. I think both Shaw and Thompson have been on the receiving end of some fairly ridiculous standards. Hindsight will prove just how fortunate we are.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #314
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1097400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Because he had limited playing time this year and during that playing time dt did not look as good as he did his last two games of the 2012 season its easy to worry that he has regressed or teams have adjusted or any number of other fears.

Shaw had some tough spots butwe score a ton of points with him in there against uga and I think missouri pretty much erased tenn in most people's mind. Problem with dt is that missouri where his passes just looked off was his last shot against legit competitiion so he never got the chance to show whether or not it was just a single rough time versus a worrying trend.I hope it was just an outlier myself.

That being said you can't completely dismiss it by placing the blame on other people. He was not the only offensive or defensive player who performed porrly in the game but he was one of the underperforming players. I think for me more troubling was the demeener of the team with him as their leader. I heard all last offseason about dt's great christian leadership (I do believe that he is a devout christian) and how the team would as a result rally around him. At the time I pointed out that it would take more than religious views to be a leader on the football field. The spirit of the team changed like night to day when shaw walked on to the field against missouri. They believed not just in him as a person but also as him as a player. I hope dt is able to cultivate that sense of respect this offseason. I think we'll see more clemson 2012 performance from the team and fewer (hopefully no) missouri first half performances if he is able to win their respect both on and off the feild. So I am hoping for the best but I understand people's fear. Plus its the offseason gotta have something to talk about right?
Old 02-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #315
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 7003800
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

This thread makes me laugh (mostly out of sadness) because many of the same people who were willing to ditch Shaw in favor of Thompson because Shaw wasn't perfect are now on the receiving end of people wanting to see the supposed backups play.

I guess it's true that you reap what you sow.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #316
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
This thread makes me laugh (mostly out of sadness) because many of the same people who were willing to ditch Shaw in favor of Thompson because Shaw wasn't perfect are now on the receiving end of people wanting to see the supposed backups play.

I think this is the first new perspective in years.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:05 PM   #317
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:

I suppose you're talking about me, and I agree that coming out of 2012, I wanted DT to play equally with Shaw, but I never advocated that he take the starting spot. I thought DT was underrated by the fanbase, and I defended him. However, I would have been saddened to see Shaw wash out, just as I don't want to throw Thompson under the bus now. To me, they are people, not just football players.

When players have worked as hard as both of them have and represented us as well as both of them have, they deserve our respect.

As for Thompson's leadership, the guys we have now will follow him since Spurrier has emphasized that he is the leader. Thompson has said that he will be the first at workouts and practices, and the last to leave. I believe what he says until he does otherwise. It's good to know that he has two very good backups. As we've seen in the last three years, those backups are very important.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #318
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I suppose you're talking about me, and I agree that coming out of 2012, I wanted DT to play equally with Shaw, but I never advocated that he take the starting spot. I thought DT was underrated by the fanbase, and I defended him. However, I would have been saddened to see Shaw wash out, just as I don't want to throw Thompson under the bus now. To me, they are people, not just football players.

When players have worked as hard as both of them have and represented us as well as both of them have, they deserve our respect.

As for Thompson's leadership, the guys we have now will follow him since Spurrier has emphasized that he is the leader. Thompson has said that he will be the first at workouts and practices, and the last to leave. I believe what he says until he does otherwise. It's good to know that he has two very good backups. As we've seen in the last three years, those backups are very important.
I doubt he was specifically talking about you. As for DT leadership ability, although I have my fears (it is so much easier to be the backup than the starter in terms of what is expected of you.), they would be 10 times as big if it looked like we were starter mitch or noso or if DT had not played well in 2012.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #319
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I think most of us agree that spring practice, S&C workouts, and individual off-the-clock work this spring and summer will factor a great deal here. I don't think either Nosovitch or Mitch is far from having a shot at starting. Nosovitch might be the best bet if teams sell out like Clemson and Tennessee did crowding and using pressure to stop the run and get after the QB. If the OL and backs handle stunts and numbers, Thompson or Mitch might be the ticket. Thompson is the one with proven performance. If inconsistency shows up, Mitch might be credible relief, and Nosovitch could be a change-up if needed. I'm looking forward to the competition as it develops.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #320
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

what tf is even going on in this thread.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote