CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Regalcock
Gamecocks1137
JerseyBird
thumpin big
smoovecock
b381l
markymark550
The Yancey
johnnyb
Constant Updates on (4243)
Brad Lawing (1783)
Garcia vs Clemson To (1356)
Carolina/Clemson gam (1039)
Palmetto Bowl (946)
Chattanooga upends N (848)
NEW Pics from South (554)
Where to watch in Ar (403)
Greenville for the C (321)
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (270)
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Constant Updates on Watso
Alshon - Bose
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Bowl projections
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Name a Gamecock
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Where to watch in Arlingt

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 02:08 AM   #2241
KaneisAble
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 Recruiting Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
no but it shows how much he respects our school and Whammy.....again, for the 1,000th time, he told them he would visit and he doesn't want to burn any bridges. When he got back from the Alabama visit last week, you know who the first person he called after his Mom, that's right Whammy. This kid is so legit, some of you just can't believe kids like this can be this honest and have this much intergrity.
Listen: even if he switches I don't think "less" of him. He's a 17-18 year old making a big decision. And I really do "want" to believe (believe me), and hope I'm completely and utterly wrong. The whole situation just gives me the Rolin tingles. I think BAW and his Mom have conducted themselves fantastically and even if he switched I would wish him well (though be disappointed he didn't play for South Carolina).
Old 02-01-2014, 02:18 AM   #2242
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Phil Kornblut believes we hurt ourselves at Havelock with the Kendall Vickers situation, at least in part it contributed to Scott's decision.

Awesome.
PK is such a credible source -_-

Old 02-01-2014, 02:37 AM   #2243
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Vickers didn't seem upset at all when this went down. He even called our program a "class act" for how we handled it. See the link for the story at the time with quotes from Vickers.

http://http://www.gogamecocks.com/20...s-to-sign.html
Vickers didn't have the grades to get into Carolina. I hope nobody is trying to put that on our coaches. Kornbutt should know better than that.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:50 AM   #2244
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Vickers didn't have the grades to get into Carolina. I hope nobody is trying to put that on our coaches. Kornbutt should know better than that.
He didn't put it on the coaches, he just said when the same guy clears the NCAA and can get into another school in your conference it causes you problems sometimes.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:44 PM   #2245
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Looks like we will end with a very good class, especially considering the need at CB. Not great in my opinion. Lost some small leads, some big leads, and needed some instant impact at DE and it doesn't appear to be happening. Could have also landed one more OL IMO.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #2246
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Looks like we will end with a very good class, especially considering the need at CB. Not great in my opinion. Lost some small leads, some big leads, and needed some instant impact at DE and it doesn't appear to be happening. Could have also landed one more OL IMO.
Thomas (who led the JUCO ranks in sacks) and Sawyer (a Rivals top 100 player) could/should both provide instant impact at DE. Surely they'll be in the rotation somewhere. There's no guarantee of that, of course, but why would you assume that they'll make no impact?
Old 02-01-2014, 11:49 PM   #2247
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
Thomas (who led the JUCO ranks in sacks) and Sawyer (a Rivals top 100 player) could/should both provide instant impact at DE. Surely they'll be in the rotation somewhere. There's no guarantee of that, of course, but why would you assume that they'll make no impact?
Forgot about Thomas. Sorry. Missing on two like this, especially the Caldwell issue, just stinks.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:38 AM   #2248
carolinamyke
Recruit

Male

carolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talonscarolinamyke has developed his gaff and talons

If Wideman flips to us and IF he qualifies I think he will help immediately at DE as well
Old 02-02-2014, 01:48 AM   #2249
Pty23
Blue Chip

Male

Pty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPitPty23 rules the CockPit

So when do you usually find out if a recruit has qualified or not? I'm talking primarily about high schoolers, since I'm sure JUCO is slightly different.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:59 AM   #2250
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pty23 View Post
So when do you usually find out if a recruit has qualified or not? I'm talking primarily about high schoolers, since I'm sure JUCO is slightly different.
summertime May-July usually

Old 02-02-2014, 03:19 AM   #2251
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
rrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pty23 View Post
It depends on if they are waiting on grades or test scores...some are already qualified and some may have the grades are waiting for a qualifying test scores and vice versa. Check out the NCAA requirements for freshman eligibility...
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_...ence_Sheet.pdf

It's pretty sad that so many players can't meet these requirements.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:44 AM   #2252
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Signing Day is going to be craaaaazy.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #2253
4gamecockfb
Game MVP

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

if we get green and lammons and wideman, and keep who we have and most everybody qualifies(I'd rather sawyer qualify than Ritchie b/c of instant impact), I think we sign a Great class. another olineman woulda been nice but since the start it was said only take two. I wish it would have been known earlier that we were taking a higher number than halfway through the recruiting process
Old 02-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #2254
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gamecockfb View Post
if we get green and lammons and wideman, and keep who we have and most everybody qualifies(I'd rather sawyer qualify than Ritchie b/c of instant impact), I think we sign a Great class. another olineman woulda been nice but since the start it was said only take two. I wish it would have been known earlier that we were taking a higher number than halfway through the recruiting process
Looks like the only solid signing day commitments are Green and Lammons. CC also said yesterday according to his sources that Wideman has a better chance of qualifying at the moment than Sawyer.
We need at least need 2 of Wideman, Sawyer, or Thomas to qualify or we will be in trouble next season at the DE position.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #2255
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsandersjr View Post
It depends on if they are waiting on grades or test scores...some are already qualified and some may have the grades are waiting for a qualifying test scores and vice versa. Check out the NCAA requirements for freshman eligibility...
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_...ence_Sheet.pdf

It's pretty sad that so many players can't meet these requirements.
I think some of their problems occur in their first 2 years of high school when they are lazy and immature. Then it's sometimes hard to catch up the last 2 years.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #2256
gocockswyn
Starter

Female

gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

Heard on another thread that there is speculation that Chubbs may flip to us. Is this true?
Old 02-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #2257
Jim Lahey
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000700
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocockswyn View Post
Heard on another thread that there is speculation that Chubbs may flip to us. Is this true?
No
Old 02-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #2258
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

rrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his comb

Quote:
I think some of their problems occur in their first 2 years of high school when they are lazy and immature. Then it's sometimes hard to catch up the last 2 years.
I agree...I've been watching kids here in Greenwood not really worry about school until it becomes likely that they can play in college. I know, for a fact, that the coaches are constantly preaching to the kids about their grades.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:29 PM   #2259
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocockswyn View Post
I think it was a poster just joking about BAW trying to flip Chubb....
Old 02-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #2260
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Yes, it was me.

Yes, I was joking.