CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Latti
ReadR00ster
U-Dub Gamecock
rosstheboss
Bobby Boucher
usc1
b381l
acejrock
NJCocky14
roosterdude21
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (7906)
Super-Efficient Ax (310)
South Carolina @ Aub (271)
BREAD (229)
Starz Black Sails (158)
Dress shirt help (148)
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Josh Cunningham Power For
2016 - Greg Little
2015 - Auden Tate
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
How to cut the mustard
Larenz Bryant update?
What is your perfect egg?
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
Connor Mitch

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 02:47 AM   #2261
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2014 Recruiting Impressions

So if you are one of folks that always thinks negatively about recruiting, this post is for you:
McClain committed to Nebraska, not coming to USC
Gibson is staying with Minn, not coming to USC
BAW finally decides to pick UGA, likes Mark Richt's house, not coming to USC
Wideman stays with FSU, they bought him a King Air, not coming to USC
Green picks UGA never really considered Carolina, not coming to USC
Lammons likes Madison better than Columbia, not coming to USC
Gladney's transcript doesn't check out, not coming to USC
Caldwell didn't stay in JUCO for 3 semesters, not coming to USC
Sawyer picks Carolina but doesn't qualify, not coming to USC

I think that covers everybody. Have a nice day.....see you Wednesday night.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:59 AM   #2262
SanAntonioCock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 103606
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Yes, it was me.

Yes, I was joking.
But that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Never forget the "y"
Old 02-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #2263
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
So if you are one of folks that always thinks negatively about recruiting, this post is for you:

Finally! The push off the ledge people needed around here.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #2264
Pty23
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Pty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post

Thank you! That covers just about everything, so now maybe we won't have to hear from the chicken littles for at least a few hours. Not getting my hopes up though...
Old 02-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #2265
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

You would think 33 wins in the last 3yrs would prove otherwise about our recruiting...let's just all jump shall we?
Old 02-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #2266
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

I saw the coaches and recruits at Saki Tumi on Saturday night. They had a private table. Seemed kind of awkward with that small of a group. The kids seemed to be spending an awful lot of time on their cell phones...but that goes for every teenager nowadays.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #2267
Woody7687
4-Star

Male

Woody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talonsWoody7687 has developed his gaff and talons

it must be nice to have a good recruiting staff.... Just tired of getting beat on the recruiting side by schools that aren't doing as well as we are. I can only imagine how good we could be if we would consistently land top 10 or top 5 recruiting classes.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #2268
Pty23
4-Star

Male

Pty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his combPty23 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody7687 View Post
it must be nice to have a good recruiting staff.... Just tired of getting beat on the recruiting side by schools that aren't doing as well as we are. I can only imagine how good we could be if we would consistently land top 10 or top 5 recruiting classes.
For the love of all that is holy can we please at least wait & see who we end up with before writing this crap? We had a great class last year, and probably will again this year. Just wait 2 days then you can whine to your heart's content.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #2269
Pty23
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
I saw the coaches and recruits at Saki Tumi on Saturday night. They had a private table. Seemed kind of awkward with that small of a group. The kids seemed to be spending an awful lot of time on their cell phones...but that goes for every teenager nowadays.
Most kids these days literally don't know how to interact with other people in person. They'd rather text someone sitting right next to them than talk. This is especially true when they're interacting with adults.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:41 AM   #2270
athenscock2
Blue Chip

Male

athenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talonsathenscock2 has developed his gaff and talons

Geez. You'd think some of our "fans" would appreciate just how effective our coaches are at their job. Again I point out a study that was done this year. The Lattimore class was ranked number 24 in the nation at their signing. When an analysis was done of who actually enrolled and contributed on the field where it counts our class had risen to 4th in the nation. A great statement on my earlier comment on how effective our coaches are in recruiting, At least let's see how many recruits actually make it in for school in August and most importantly how many contribute to the program before you put down our coaches again.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #2271
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

So a Louisville CB commit flipped to UGA.
Seems like this would sure Green up even more to us.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #2272
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pty23 View Post
For the love of all that is holy can we please at least wait & see who we end up with before writing this crap? We had a great class last year, and probably will again this year. Just wait 2 days then you can whine to your heart's content.
I agree that we should hold off on the whining until after NSD. That said, I'm going to whine a little: wasn't this supposed to be "the greatest class of all time"? When we were all wringing our hands about the 2013 class, everyone said "don't worry, the 2014 class is going to the be the BEST in South Carolina football history." We can obviously close incredibly well, and I know the scholarship restrictions hurt us (as did the "we're taking 17, wait no j/k we're taking 22") but...what had happened?
Old 02-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #2273
AtlantaSportsGuy
Football Guru

Male

AtlantaSportsGuy is sharpening his clawsAtlantaSportsGuy is sharpening his clawsAtlantaSportsGuy is sharpening his clawsAtlantaSportsGuy is sharpening his claws

Does anyone else have a feeling USC lands a surprise guy on NSD?

Old 02-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #2274
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
So a Louisville CB commit flipped to UGA.
Seems like this would sure Green up even more to us.
Mark Richt=Flip Magnet
Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #2275
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsGuy View Post
As long as it isn't a flip flop.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #2276
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsGuy View Post
I can think of Gladney being a possibility but idk if you would consider him a surprise, though he did come onto the radar late.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #2277
brat
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Can't think of a recruiting cycle I am more pleased that is ending than this one.
I enjoy recruiting tidbits and trying to uncover any glimmer in which to piece together to figure out who will and will not be future Gamecocks, knowing it's all an exercise in guesswork. I grow increasingly annoyed and tired, however, of opening threads and having to wade through countless, stupid fights instead of recruiting information. A couple of years ago I had never blocked any poster, but now have close to two dozen blocked. Trouble is, half the time someone quotes these same people. Difficult to avoid.

Like others here, I appreciate the effort put forth to keep track of a large subject with a slippery slope, full of land mines. Just hope in the future the trash would be carried out more often. It gets worse each year.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:43 PM   #2278
SCohioBoy
Starter

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
Can't think of a recruiting cycle I am more pleased that is ending than this one.
I enjoy recruiting tidbits and trying to uncover any glimmer in which to piece together to figure out who will and will not be future Gamecocks, knowing it's all an exercise in guesswork. I grow increasingly annoyed and tired, however, of opening threads and having to wade through countless, stupid fights instead of recruiting information. A couple of years ago I had never blocked any poster, but now have close to two dozen blocked. Trouble is, half the time someone quotes these same people. Difficult to avoid.

Like others here, I appreciate the effort put forth to keep track of a large subject with a slippery slope, full of land mines. Just hope in the future the trash would be carried out more often. It gets worse each year.
I stopped blocking people because they can also see what you still post.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #2279
boness
Recruit

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetArmy07 View Post
You would think 33 wins in the last 3yrs would prove otherwise about our recruiting...let's just all jump shall we?
An effort to explain the concerns I have and believe some others share, in whole or part, in regards to recruiting to which such statements as this speak against.

I, like many, who express concern with our recruiting acknowlege said concern is relative. It isn't that our recruiting is by any means bad, it is that it has not kept step with the some other elements of the program, leading the way is top 10 on field performance. In state it hasn't neccesarily kept step with the yrs leading to and at the front end of our surge. Given staff's proven development skills stands to reason those skills applied to high board targets might likely evolve to still greater success on field. That point is important.... Yes some occasionally take issue with the failure to offer or greatly pursui this guy or that and interpret such as questioning the staffs judgement. They raise a valid point that I can only counter with the truth, in those instances those with a mind to question are. The far greater point is that most of these prospects we do not sign are not because we did not offer, not because we did not truly desire thier signature. These prospects were those highest on OUR staff board. We all celebrate when we obtain such signatures yet those of us who believe a greater emphasis on recruiting may earn still more of such signatures are often called out as counter to staff.

MHO is that our 3 primary elements of coaching... SS and staff lead the way. The clear 1rst strenth is yr round player development. I would place weekly game prep second and the game day x&os third
Next set I probably place our greatly improved development of the player as a citizen, student, teammate, allowing players to suit up. Tho we still have some issues, not as many recent roster limitations due to suspentions, legal malfunctions, academic ineligibilty , substance use, destrucive behavior, etc.
Somewhere after place such as facilities (tho improving quickly) recruiting on the front end (signing recruits highest on OUR STAFF'S board), support recruiting components such as emphasis and success on such as instate top 10-15. legacy players, local cola area kids and walk on program (showing potential and improving strenth recently). Look back into the recent past to when such success was climbing and the benifitts gained can reasonably lead to conclude that had we continued increasing instate domonance said benifitts would have continued to increase.

Recruiting budget, speed and conditioning, and back end recruiting bring up the rear (those eligible for draft but with remaining eligibility electing to go pro vs stay and improve draft standing). SS (as I interpret) himself has, since day one, emphasis he believes likely first rounders should go pro, prognosed mid rounders and below should absolutely stay. Maybe not as clear on on 2nd rounders but I interprete his stance to be they more likely or at least as likely as not stay. We have many examples of those who did stay improving their lot and of those who choose to leave as late picks having short stays in the league, granted only God knows if staying would certainly have aided thier league run but it seems likely. To b fair we also have examples like Captain who went early, drafted late and who have done well. These appear in the minority.

I'm sure I have left out components both strong and not. Many of you are far more in the know.
This is simply a respectfull effort to explain the position of at least one who remains on the " further recruiting emphasis could lead to on field benifitt". WVP
Old 02-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #2280
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPit

My final predictions:

BAW - Stays
Green - USC
Lammons - USC
Wideman - Flips

Prince - Maryland

Gladney - Toss Up
Closed Thread