CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
2000grad
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
usc1
Order 66
Cock Kool-Aid
rosstheboss
uscsandstorm85
**USC vs. Charleston (4297)
Kelcy and Vic questi (2431)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Steele projects AP t (883)
US Air nsfw tweet (717)
I like how Frank sou (642)
boiled peanuts (491)
Ahh...The Masters (484)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (444)
Tax day freebies (441)
Connor Mitch
Last 5 years in the SEC
2015 - Chris Clark
Aggie game coming in from
**USC vs. Charleston Sout
Bruce, Vic & Kelcy si
Name a Gamecock
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
The case for Clowney at #
Hillsborough

Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
GSC2013
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
GSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his comb
Default THAT JUST HAPPENED!! Ok, they're Gamecocks now; So where do they fit in, impact?

I guess its ok now to discuss these rookies here now, since they are no longer recruits but signees.

So, we have Wideman, Lamin and the Blake kid all coming in at DL. Which one has the best immediate impact? Lamin is a JUCO obviously, so he may start. Word on Wideman is he's game ready right now.

DB. We got a couple great ones. Lammons and Green are 4-star, and may need to start immediately. Concerns?

And we landed a stud at LB, with Bryson Allen-Williams. He along with Skai Moore are gonna be terrifying for opponents!!!

I think this defense is shaping up to be a monster. It can be really good this year. But my goodness, 2015??? USC's D is gonna be top 5 in the nation by then. And, seems most of these new guys have great attitudes, humble, hard working. The kind of guys who show up as 3/4 star recruits, and put in 110% every single day and become 1st rounders.

The staff really wrapped up some good ones, where do you all think they fit into this team and on the field? They're officially Gamecocks. Time to start putting the pieces together for 2014.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #2
badfish17
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 11500
badfish17 has earned his spursbadfish17 has earned his spursbadfish17 has earned his spursbadfish17 has earned his spursbadfish17 has earned his spursbadfish17 has earned his spurs
Default Re: THAT JUST HAPPENED!! Ok, they're Gamecocks now; So where do they fit in, impact?

Offense; i'd say Crosby might see some time at TE this year. Maybe Samuel mid/late season at WR or Returner.

On Defense; Lamin, Sawyer and Thomas should all see time on the Dline. Wideman will also play if he qualifies, some say there's a question. Smith and Green will play at CB.

Go Gamecocks !!!
badfish17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
qock
Recruit

Male

qock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spursqock has earned his spurs
Default Re: THAT JUST HAPPENED!! Ok, they're Gamecocks now; So where do they fit in, impact?

BAW will lead the team in sacks next year
qock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Gamecocks1137
Game MVP

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Our secondary is going to be nasty!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by qock View Post
If our freshman back up LB leads us in sacks then we're in trouble.

Biggest impact next year:
1. Wes Green
2. Jhaustin Thomas (or whichever freshman DE sits atop the depth chart...Sawyer/Wideman?)

Hidden Gem- Harris Jr.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

They have to be able to qualify first. Not everyone will.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #7
GarnetSwarm1990
4-Star

Male

GarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his combGarnetSwarm1990 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by qock View Post
Our linebackers don't tend to get too many sacks.

My bet is that Thomas or English will lead the team in sacks.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
Biocockanics
WMD

Male

Biocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot materialBiocockanics is USC mascot material

what just happened? did POTUS die?

oh, we signed new players.

yay
Old 02-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Whoever is in trouble qualifying, we need to set that person up with tutoring from "Miss Sue".
Old 02-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
GSC2013
Recruit

Male

GSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his combGSC2013 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biocockanics View Post
what just happened? did POTUS die?

oh, we signed new players.

yay
"That just happened!!" is just a fun quote from the movie Talladega Nights. And I used it to reference the fact that we just kinda swiped some pretty big time recruits out from under UGA, UF, FSU, Wisky and Nebraska's noses. All were committed at one point to those schools.

So, a little fun "That just happened!!" if you saw the movie was appropriate.

Geez. Lighten up
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #11
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

Over the next 3 years, our LB corps is (currently and) going to be SOOOO stacked.

Sir Cuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
CarolinaGnB521
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot materialCarolinaGnB521 is USC mascot material

Exciting times. Logically our biggest concerns without the incoming freshmen on the team is at CB and DL, so you automatically have to assume that the two big corner commits are going to be impact freshman, along with a few of the incoming DL players.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
uscGRAD04
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

John Whittle on 107.5 seemed more confident on Wideman making it in than Sawyer.
uscGRAD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:42 PM   #14
c0ckkn0cker
Walk On

Male

c0ckkn0cker has hatched from the shell

After watching tape of DJ smith, I can definitely see him growing into a safety. He has the best tackling ability for a DB that I've ever seen coming out of HS at least from the random highlights I watch on YouTube.
c0ckkn0cker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #15
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
They have to be able to qualify first. Not everyone will.

Can't we just Tar Heel them in?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #16
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Green and Lammons likely walk into the 2 deep at CB with our depth. Wouldn't be surprised if one starts along with Rico. DJ Smith is good enough to not redshirt too. I expect Harris and Smalls to RS. I also expect Lammons to win a PR or KR job.

At DE, hell it just depends on who can qualify out of Wideman, Thomas, and Sawyer. I think Thomas is most ready to contribute out of JUCO. If we can get 2 out of those 2 in school I think that's a plus.

At DT Lamin can be in the 2 deep right this year. Stallworth can RS.

BAW will battle Roberts for the 2 deep spot behind Skai.

On the OL, I expect Stanley and Young to RS.

QB Scarr will RS.

I expect Googer, Samuel, and Shaq to RS as well. I wouldn't be shocked if Shaq or Samuel got some PT.

Crosby may crack the lineup at the H-Back role.

I expect Ritchie to RS if he makes it into school.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #17
Gamecocks1137
Game MVP

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Green and Lammons likely walk into the 2 deep at CB with our depth. Wouldn't be surprised if one starts along with Rico. DJ Smith is good enough to not redshirt too. I expect Harris and Smalls to RS. I also expect Lammons to win a PR or KR job.

At DE, hell it just depends on who can qualify out of Wideman, Thomas, and Sawyer. I think Thomas is most ready to contribute out of JUCO. If we can get 2 out of those 2 in school I think that's a plus.

QB Scarr will RS.

I expect Googer, Samuel, and Shaq to RS as well. I wouldn't be shocked if Shaq or Samuel got some PT.

I can see Googer redshirt just based on his ACL injury. I don't believe Shaq is going to redshirt, I believe he gets playing time immediately.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #18
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post

QB Scarr will RS.

I agree with all this, although I'd put DJ Smith ahead of Lammons right now just based off the fact that Lammons has hardly played any corner up to this point and will have to learn a lot. The talent is definitely there.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #19
PageUSC

Male

PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I can see Googer redshirt just based on his ACL injury. I don't believe Shaq is going to redshirt, I believe he gets playing time immediately.
True freshmen WRs don't typically do well in Spurrier's Offense. The route tree is difficult to pick up.

It even took Alshon what 5 games to see significant time. Last year Cooper's snaps were limited at WR, but he is special.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #20
PageUSC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I agree with all this, although I'd put DJ Smith ahead of Lammons right now just based off the fact that Lammons has hardly played any corner up to this point and will have to learn a lot. The talent is definitely there.
Fair enough. I could see that happening.