CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Outland
MDF DUST
MountainCock
QCB
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
The Yancey
Master Bedroom
COCKYTALKIN
taylorssc
In-state QB talent (968)
Rank the QBs under S (781)
Which loss hurt wors (763)
Ranking the SEC Foot (689)
BA ranks recruiting (512)
Google finally gets (447)
Who start on the d l (376)
lack of production= (376)
Five Upstate High Sc (361)
Why I think we beat (347)
Why I think we beat Aubur
Texas athletic director:
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
A simple defensive line &
Ranking the SEC Football
Five Upstate High School
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
SEC Debate: Best candidat
Does South Carolina still
So Disappointed With The

Old 02-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #41
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Something's fishy in Knoxville

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemd2 View Post
30 if we count back 5 to before the season ended
then have 5 more either grayshirt or have some not qualify....if they piss off some of those told to grayshirt it will really hurt them in the future.....
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:46 PM   #42
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

We actually only ended up signing 31 today. The last guy signed a paper that wasn't a real NLI and is going to Blueshirt. Giving us 32 total new players for August.
Ericvol2096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #43
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Holy crap, how many threads on this are we going to have?
We???

You're funny
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #44
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 28459
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
We actually only ended up signing 31 today. The last guy signed a paper that wasn't a real NLI and is going to Blueshirt. Giving us 32 total new players for August.
Can't wait to see the vols and Derrell (??) on the field at Willie B on November 1; I hope some frustration can be taken out on that Saturday!! Would also be nice to have a complete game against the vols without a knee injury to anyone!!
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #45
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussjr View Post
Can't wait to see the vols and Derrell (??) on the field at Willie B on November 1; I hope some frustration can be taken out on that Saturday!! Would also be nice to have a complete game against the vols without a knee injury to anyone!!
Should be a good game, but I expect a 10 point win by SC. Not one of the games I am pointing to on our schedule as a possible upset like I did last offseason.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:56 AM   #46
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

I predicted yall would win the east in 2010 during the 2009 season.

It is crazy how good I've been at picking ya'lls results before the season. I predicted 10-2 for 2012 with losses @LSU and @UF.

Last year I predicted 11-1 with a loss @TN.

Next year I am predicting 11-1 with a loss @Auburn.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #47
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Quote:
What the hell is a blueshirt? Did you guys make that up?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #48
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
What the hell is a blueshirt? Did you guys make that up?
My understanding is that "blueshirting" is when you invite a preferred player to campus as a walk-on...with the expectation that he will be given a scholarship later.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #49
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
I predicted yall would win the east in 2010 during the 2009 season.

It is crazy how good I've been at picking ya'lls results before the season. I predicted 10-2 for 2012 with losses @LSU and @UF.

Last year I predicted 11-1 with a loss @TN.

Next year I am predicting 11-1 with a loss @Auburn.
That is THE game but, of course, each game is important! Although I would like to see a perfect season, if this scenario plays out, the Cocks will be in the ATL for a chance at the SEC championship and possibly a berth in the new playoff system!!

Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #50
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock1983 View Post
My understanding is that "blueshirting" is when you invite a preferred player to campus as a walk-on...with the expectation that he will be given a scholarship later.
Exactly. The player is not bound at all to TN right now and we are not bound to him yet.

He will show up to campus in August with nothing but a promise of a scholarship at that moment. He can then be counted toward the 2015 class.

The snag is the player has to not have had an OV, can't have been visited by our coaches and can't have been called directly more than once from our coaches.

The only player we have that fits that bill is Jashon Robertson who is best friends with Jalen Hurd. But no one will officially say he is the blue shirt because our coaches don't want other teams going after him knowing that he isn't bound to TN.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #51
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
That is THE game but, of course, each game is important! Although I would like to see a perfect season, if this scenario plays out, the Cocks will be in the ATL for a chance at the SEC championship and possibly a berth in the new playoff system!!

Seems like UGA at home, at UF, at Aub and @Clemson are your toughest games.

I think you can make it out of those with 1 loss for sure. 2 at the most.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #52
Master Bedroom
Two Deep

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Does anybody have a link to Herbstreit talking about ut's class yesterday? I heard he called them out somewhat on espn but I can't find anything about it
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #53
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock1983 View Post
This article adressess it. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2sZiNzMaJ

Quote:
The loss of Thomas did ease the numbers crunch, though. For the past few months, reporters covering the Vols have tried to figure out how Tennessee could add as many as 35 scholarship players and not violate the SEC and NCAA rules that allow only 25 new scholarship players a year and 85 total scholarship players at any given time. Jones said the Vols were in constant contact with the SEC office to ensure they didn't sign too many. Some of the players who enrolled in January were counted against the 2013 total, so that eased the strain. Meanwhile, the Vols elected not to sign commitment Orlando Brown Jr. because of academic concerns. Brown, a massive offensive lineman from Duluth, Ga., instead signed with Oklahoma.
Still, Tennessee appears to have 32 incoming scholarship players for a class that Knoxville News-Sentinel beat writer Evan Woodbery calculated can only contain 31. (Like most programs, Tennessee would not release the actual number of players currently on scholarship. That number could also change throughout the offseason.) Asked by reporters on Wednesday how he planned to squeeze in everyone, Jones hinted that players might delay enrollment. This is known as grayshirting in the recruiting world. A player would delay his enrollment until January and count against the 2015 class. Tennessee may also attempt to "blueshirt" some players. To do that, a school can't officially recruit a player, meaning he can't take an official visit and coaches can't make in-home visits. The school also can't sign the player to an NLI, so any other school may still recruit him and offer a scholarship. He would essentially have to walk on and then earn a scholarship, but such a player would probably walk on with the understanding that a scholarship was forthcoming. If Tennessee is attempting to blueshirt anyone for the class of '14, coaches aren't revealing names. If they did, other schools would swoop in quickly with scholarship offers.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #54
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
Does anybody have a link to Herbstreit talking about ut's class yesterday? I heard he called them out somewhat on espn but I can't find anything about it
Would make me sad , love Kirk.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #55
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Quote:
Would make me sad , love Kirk.
Wish I could find it too; however, from what I have heard is that Kirk was concerned about players that may have been offered scholarship starting at a later date. I guess referring to the blueshirt scenario but from what I understand Butch only blueshirted one or two players. Is that correct, Eric?
Old 02-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #56
Master Bedroom
Two Deep

Male

Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

From what I heard he was saying it was blatant disregard for the rules and this will be something that has to now be addressed moving forward...said something about why even have a limit if you allow a school to go over by this many. Again this was hearsay..but I tend to agree if it is what was said
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #57
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Wish I could find it too; however, from what I have heard is that Kirk was concerned about players that may have been offered scholarship starting at a later date. I guess referring to the blueshirt scenario but from what I understand Butch only blueshirted one or two players. Is that correct, Eric?
1 blueshirt and 1 grayshirt.

1 guy signed with Oklahoma cause we wouldn't take his signature due to his probable inability to get admitted into school.

Another really good read on our class and how hard our coaches have worked.

http://grantland.com/features/tennes...ning-day-2014/
Old 02-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #58
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
From what I heard he was saying it was blatant disregard for the rules and this will be something that has to now be addressed moving forward...said something about why even have a limit if you allow a school to go over by this many. Again this was hearsay..but I tend to agree if it is what was said
If Kirk went this route, I agree with him; however, Butchy showed some moxie by finding what some would consider "loopholes" in being able to use EEs to count back onto previous year class numbers and the whole blueshirting rules to his advantage to maximize their class. Nonetheless, I would think that those in k-ville would be a bit worried about being so brazen given what has happened to their program post-Fulmer and would demand that Butchy be somewhat more conservative in his approach!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #59
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
1 blueshirt and 1 grayshirt.

1 guy signed with Oklahoma cause we wouldn't take his signature due to his probable inability to get admitted into school.

Another really good read on our class and how hard our coaches have worked.

http://grantland.com/features/tennes...ning-day-2014/
So, Eric, are there any groups associated with ut that feel concerned that the NCAA may find somethng at a later date even though they have been consulted throughout this recruiting cycle?
Old 02-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #60
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
So, Eric, are there any groups associated with ut that feel concerned that the NCAA may find somethng at a later date even though they have been consulted throughout this recruiting cycle?
Not really considering no rules were broken and we did things that have all been done before by different schools, just not all at once by one.