CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
snruter amabon
Spur's Addiction
HeadCockFan
U-Dub Gamecock
Copperhead
Gamecocks1137
Order 66
Black Hole
Yearofthegamecock
The Yancey
Can it get any bette (1074)
Auburn Stealing Sign (965)
Funny Golf Story Abo (890)
Defense Tackles (773)
I used to like bush (676)
Boo This Man... (641)
georgia rewind... (624)
Gamecocks Traveling (337)
SEC East vs. SEC Wes (316)
Stay focus (295)
Winston
How we won the UGA game:
**official Vandy predicti
Doniyah Cliney to sit out
Haven't seen one unbeatab
Good crowd for volleyball
King - South Carolina vs
Auburn looks beatable
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Stadium improvement idea

Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 AM   #181
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb
Default Re: **USC vs. Auburn GAME Thread**

As in some SEC games before, we could have won this one if we had only made our FT. This team has no room for error. Has to make the most of its opportunities.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #182
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorcock View Post
Just what I was going to say. We are getting little to no production from the front line. All they can seem to do is foul. Disappointing for sure.
Frank said in the post game that Notice, Thornwell and Williams have to be perfect for us to win . That tells you he doesn't expect much from our big guys .
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #183
Carolina Pride
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talons

As tough as these losses are to stomach, I really like that this team isn't giving up and is fighting till the end...That is where I lost interest in some of the teams of the past, when I could tell the players stopped caring that's when I stopped caring.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #184
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorcock View Post
Just what I was going to say. We are getting little to no production from the front line. All they can seem to do is foul. Disappointing for sure.
Auburn's front line scored only 11 points. Our guards need to shoulder some of the blame for last night as well. They were outplayed (with the obvious exception of Williams).

In general, I agree we need more production from the front line. Some depth at the guard and wing positions is desperately needed as well.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #185
scfastpitch
Blue Chip

Male

scfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPitscfastpitch rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina-Beez View Post
Auburn's front line scored only 11 points. Our guards need to shoulder some of the blame for last night as well. They were outplayed (with the obvious exception of Williams).

In general, I agree we need more production from the front line. Some depth at the guard and wing positions is desperately needed as well.
Frank expected Thornwell and Notice to struggle vs Auburn's two leading scorers . From the Daily Gamecock :

But Auburn responded with a 7-1 run, using the quickness of guards Chris Denson and K.T. Harrell to drive past Gamecock defenders for easy layups. The two Tiger guards combined for 50 of Auburnís 79 points.

Coach Frank Martin knew coming into the game that Sindarius Thornwell and Duane Notice, both freshmen, would have their hands full with the talented Tiger duo, which came in averaging over 38 points per game.

Martin was happy with the freshmenís effort but was not pleased with the defensive help of the three other players on the floor.

ďOur help-side defense was atrocious and embarrassing,Ē Martin said. ďThatís all I spoke about after the game. The three guys that were not guarding those two players never helped. We donít block shots, we donít take charges and we donít defensive rebound. Itís hard to win. Our margin for error is paper thin, and those three guards have to play real, real well.Ē
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #186
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
Frank expected Thornwell and Notice to struggle vs Auburn's two leading scorers . From the Daily Gamecock :

But Auburn responded with a 7-1 run, using the quickness of guards Chris Denson and K.T. Harrell to drive past Gamecock defenders for easy layups. The two Tiger guards combined for 50 of Auburn’s 79 points.

Coach Frank Martin knew coming into the game that Sindarius Thornwell and Duane Notice, both freshmen, would have their hands full with the talented Tiger duo, which came in averaging over 38 points per game.

Martin was happy with the freshmen’s effort but was not pleased with the defensive help of the three other players on the floor.

“Our help-side defense was atrocious and embarrassing,” Martin said. “That’s all I spoke about after the game. The three guys that were not guarding those two players never helped. We don’t block shots, we don’t take charges and we don’t defensive rebound. It’s hard to win. Our margin for error is paper thin, and those three guards have to play real, real well.”
So in other words, other than Notice, Thornwell and Williams we got nothing? That is how I am reading into that. If the other guys on the floor aren't doing well, replace them. I don't care with who, their back ups can't play any worse than they did.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #187
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Would you rather be losing close games or getting ran off the court by the second half? For those who say we aren't making progress and that the basketball program is doomed, here's our average margin of loss by season in conference games:

2009-10: 11.6 points (10 losses)
2010-11: 12.3 points (11 losses)
2011-12: 11.6 points (14 losses)
2012-13: 12.9 points (14 losses)
2013-14: 7.3 points (8 losses)

Keep in mind that we're doing this with 7 freshmen and 4 sophomores. All this team needs is experience. The Darrin Horn teams didn't need experience, they were getting run off the court every night. Too many people are looking at the pure fact that we're losing, rather than how we're losing. Once this team learns how to close games out, they're going to be good.

I wish we had Brenton's 3-point shooting for another season, but I have a feeling Jaylen Shaw will be able to give us some of that next season with more minutes (hopefully). Thornwell and Notice are a good duo on the perimeter to build around and we'll have Ty back for a full season.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #188
ssladler
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 934
ssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his combssladler is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
Martin was happy with the freshmenís effort but was not pleased with the defensive help of the three other players on the floor.

ďOur help-side defense was atrocious and embarrassing,Ē Martin said. ďThatís all I spoke about after the game. The three guys that were not guarding those two players never helped. We donít block shots, we donít take charges and we donít defensive rebound. Itís hard to win. Our margin for error is paper thin, and those three guards have to play real, real well.Ē
This is the key to why a better front court is so important. Martin's defense scheme is to pressure the ball hard. That makes passing tough but opens us up against a straight-line drives. The on-ball defender cannot stop an all-out drive to the basket--he does have the space to catch up-- but someone driving all-out is vulnerable to a help defender: to draw a charge or block a shot, because he can't change direction easily. Also, laying it off for the the helper's man is tough, because it all happens so fast. This defensive style doesn't work without good hard work/talent by the help defenders. The all-out drives just turn into layups.
ssladler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #189
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
Would you rather be losing close games or getting ran off the court by the second half? For those who say we aren't making progress and that the basketball program is doomed, here's our average margin of loss by season in conference games:

2009-10: 11.6 points (10 losses)
2010-11: 12.3 points (11 losses)
2011-12: 11.6 points (14 losses)
2012-13: 12.9 points (14 losses)
2013-14: 7.3 points (8 losses)

Keep in mind that we're doing this with 7 freshmen and 4 sophomores. All this team needs is experience. The Darrin Horn teams didn't need experience, they were getting run off the court every night. Too many people are looking at the pure fact that we're losing, rather than how we're losing. Once this team learns how to close games out, they're going to be good.

I wish we had Brenton's 3-point shooting for another season, but I have a feeling Jaylen Shaw will be able to give us some of that next season with more minutes (hopefully). Thornwell and Notice are a good duo on the perimeter to build around and we'll have Ty back for a full season.
You know you're a bad team when you are happy about your margin of loss.
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #190
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssladler View Post
This is the key to why a better front court is so important. Martin's defense scheme is to pressure the ball hard. That makes passing tough but opens us up against a straight-line drives. The on-ball defender cannot stop an all-out drive to the basket--he does have the space to catch up-- but someone driving all-out is vulnerable to a help defender: to draw a charge or block a shot, because he can't change direction easily. Also, laying it off for the the helper's man is tough, because it all happens so fast. This defensive style doesn't work without good hard work/talent by the help defenders. The all-out drives just turn into layups.
I agree and we need to change it, and I hope some of that inside help is addressed in the next recruiting class. I also believe that Thornwell may have a shot at the NBA. If he continues to improve he may well be in the mix. Not this year of course, but in the future.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #191
Carolina-Beez
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his combCarolina-Beez is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
So in other words, other than Notice, Thornwell and Williams we got nothing? That is how I am reading into that. If the other guys on the floor aren't doing well, replace them. I don't care with who, their back ups can't play any worse than they did.
Oh yeah? Ringer was a totally passive nonentity for the two minutes he was in the game. And Coach was forced to call a timeout when Chatkevicius was in there just to get him off the floor; he was that awful. There simply aren't many options on this team.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #192
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
You know you're a bad team when you are happy about your margin of loss.
We're bad, but we're losing competitive games. It's a gap that can be made up with experience.
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #193
FurmanCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 540
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

Defensively, we have had difficulty stopping the dribble drive all year. We do better against the drive when we go zone, but then we can't rebound in the zone. Still a work in process. But I definitely agree there is no quit in these guys. I don't think anybody is saying we're a good team, but I still believe we are showing progress.
FurmanCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #194
GenerallyCocky
Walk On

Male

GenerallyCocky has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
Defensively, we have had difficulty stopping the dribble drive all year. We do better against the drive when we go zone, but then we can't rebound in the zone. Still a work in process. But I definitely agree there is no quit in these guys. I don't think anybody is saying we're a good team, but I still believe we are showing progress.
With the new rules interpretation- everybody has trouble stopping a drive to the basket. We didn't finish well and create 3 point plays. Also, we did not hit a good FT%.

On defense- Frank was absolutely right that the 3, 4, and 5 men on the court were lost defensively and gave little help to the guards. I mean, if you don't rotate fast enough to help you gotta box out and rebound at least.

Someone please tell me why Henry is so foul-prone, yet starts most nights. I can't tell if he's that much better than the rest of the bigs due to the limited minutes he plays.
GenerallyCocky is offline   Reply With Quote