CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Regalcock
JerseyBird
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
smoovecock
b381l
markymark550
The Yancey
johnnyb
Constant Updates on (4530)
Garcia vs Clemson To (1390)
Chattanooga upends N (881)
NEW Pics from South (590)
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (439)
Where to watch in Ar (438)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (271)
This Doctor Fell In (217)
Happy Thanksgiving C (174)
Strategy First Steam (104)
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Palmetto Bowl
Bowl projections
Carolina/Clemson game dre
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Name a Gamecock
Alshon - Bose
Constant Updates on Watso
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Coaching Carousel 2014/15

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #521
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: CockyTalk's 2014 National Signing Day Discussion Thread

Yeah, well, one could argue connor's deep ball to shaq was into double coverage and should have been picked off this season against la tigres, so I'm not sure what possible picks mean. He also shreaded Nebraska like he was tom brady, when he was in. But he did take a step back this season which gives me some pause. Doesn't matter a ton. IF the defense doesn't take a huge step back, we can get into the wildcat with cooper and davis and win 10 games.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #522
Order 66
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Order 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot materialOrder 66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
The reality needs to set in that USC will never out recruit the big 7 in the SEC (Bama, LSU, UF, UGA, aTm, AU, UT) on a yearly basis with the exception of possibly UT and that run seems to be over too.

USC doesn't have the instate depth year to year. Spurrier's highest rated classes were years where the state was strong. That hasn't been the case since 2009. USC neither has the facilities, budget, or trophy case to recruit nationally every year. That is absolute truth and I don't see why people overlook that.

It takes a specific type of player to come here and a special coaching staff that can evaluate players and in turn, develop them when in the program. South Carolina is a poor man's Virginia Tech of the SEC who signs better talent year to year. The difference is that VaTech has hardware. Finishing between 10 and 20 in the final rankings should be considered USC's sweet spot.

That's reality.
With that said, we finished #4 and were a swatted pass away from playing in Atl and maybe for a BCS title if we beat Auburn.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #523
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

winners/losers of signing day
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruitin...ers-and-losers
Old 02-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #524
Master Bedroom
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post
I can't for the life of me figure out why Lorenzo Carter is getting so much hype. Him and Jacob Park might be the 2 most overrated prospects I've seen in some time, coming out of high school.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #525
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbeam View Post
Okay, I understand the trophy case comment.

But what exactly is wrong with our facilities? I've seen pictures of the nightclub Oregon has. What does Alabama have, Auburn have, Georgia have in the way of facilities, that we don't?

I hear this all the time, but what does it mean exactly? Does our weight room suck? Our practice facility suck? I don't think you can have athletic dorms anymore, so do our living facilities suck?

What does "USC doesn't have the facilities" actually mean? I've seen a lot of complaints about our stadium in the past, but correct me if I am wrong it is about middle of the pack for capacity, and we do a good job of filling it. A lot of people dog on the Shop and Bluff road area for being sort of an industrial park, but other than that is it really that much worse than other SEC stadiums? Worse than the Mississippi schools? What is at Georgia's stadium, or Florida's that make it so much better?

I think a better argument is that the Columbia location isn't as "nice" as say Gainesville or Athens, if you are looking for the classic college town experience.

The south endzone addition of our stadium where the weight room, meeting rooms and "trophy" area in need of improvement. The coaches offices on the far side in the floyd building are pretty bad. IMO they need redo and add to the south endzone building new offices, football museum and other amenities that i have seen at other schools. Also I love WB but the fašade is not the best (not a huge fan of bricking it up) but something I think needs to be done. Another thing is the lower bowls of the north east and south endzones are the original structure (I may be wrong on that but they are old anyway) and I think are going to need to be replaced at some point. They are working to build a new practice facility and indoor facility both of which are needed. The old proving grounds are not that great. One other thing I think hurts of from a facilities prospective is that since WB is off campus a lot of the new athletic building like the dottie etc are not all in one place. Which doesn’t seem like a huge deal but the players have to drive one place for meals, one place for treatments, rehab and practice and then back to their dorms. Some may have to do this multiple times a day and for a college student that gets old real quick (just a small thing but I know it bothers some people).

That all being said we are doing much better then where we were just 5-7 years ago.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #526
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 665832
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
How do you all feel about Thompson? Think he will be able to hold onto the job all season?

QB is a huge ? for us, need Ferguson or Dobbs to step up this spring bad.
Eric, Dylan's performance will be relying heavily on the run game; if the play action type stuff is effective then he will be able to set himself up as a pocket passer which he will excel at. However, if defenses are able to stuff our run game, then Nosovitch and Mitch may be getting more PT than planned. I know that my statement is a "DUH" one but Dylan will not perform as well if he has to be scrambling around much of the time.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #527
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussjr View Post
Eric, Dylan's performance will be relying heavily on the run game; if the play action type stuff is effective then he will be able to set himself up as a pocket passer which he will excel at. However, if defenses are able to stuff our run game, then Nosovitch and Mitch may be getting more PT than planned. I know that my statement is a "DUH" one but Dylan will not perform as well if he has to be scrambling around much of the time.
Well he will certainly have talented WR's to throw to as well.

So you think the offense may look more like the 2010 version than this years version? Run heavy and a deep ball or two mixed in.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #528
gamecox3
Architect ya lifestyle

Male

CockyCash: 405
gamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudlygamecox3 is crowing loudly

There's always a ton of hoopla surrounding stars and ratings, but south carolina usually ends up with a class that performs better than the star ratings suggest. Does anyone ever consider the possibility that south carolina's coaches scout players without the help of rivals and on their 'big board' a 3 star player such as DJ Swearinger in 2009 is actually more talented than the players over top of him. Then they decide to sign said 3 star player (DJ) instead of going after the 5 star Rod Woodson (no longer with Alabama's team).
"C'mon man. This is god given. The only thing I gotta do is show up." - Boobie Wilds #22
Old 02-06-2014, 01:53 PM   #529
KaneisAble
Banned

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
The reality needs to set in that USC will never out recruit the big 7 in the SEC (Bama, LSU, UF, UGA, aTm, AU, UT) on a yearly basis with the exception of possibly UT and that run seems to be over too.

USC doesn't have the instate depth year to year. Spurrier's highest rated classes were years where the state was strong. That hasn't been the case since 2009. USC neither has the facilities, budget, or trophy case to recruit nationally every year. That is absolute truth and I don't see why people overlook that.

It takes a specific type of player to come here and a special coaching staff that can evaluate players and in turn, develop them when in the program. South Carolina is a poor man's Virginia Tech of the SEC who signs better talent year to year. The difference is that VaTech has hardware. Finishing between 10 and 20 in the final rankings should be considered USC's sweet spot.

That's reality.
C2: I defer to your expertise, but I think this is a little too negative of an assessment. I think we're definitely better than a "poor man's VA Tech" (I understand you're equating us w/ the SEC version of them) but I think a better analogy is (shudders)...Clemson. The only reason they have their recent conference championship is because of the conference they're in.

As far as who we can recruit w/: there is absolutely no reason we cannot recruit on par (or out-recruit) UT every year. Their state is about on par w/ ours when it comes to in-state talent and we're better regionally situated to recruit out of NC, UGA, and FL than they are. Their success this year is due to Butch Davis having that "New Coach Smell", as it were, and being able to promise immediate playing time. This isn't a "return to form" for UT, IMO, but almost exactly like what Ole Miss did last year (time will tell if I'm right in this assessment). As far as A&M: they have incredibly deep pockets and a built-in in-state advantage. But I still don't quite understand how they're already being classified as an SEC Power based off one player and upset. If Strong can turn Texas around and A&M struggles this season (which I believe they will do), A&M will see some of it's luster fade.

It's unrealistic to think we'll out recruit Bama, UF, LSU and UGA every year. I see no reason we can't recruit w/ (or out recruit) the rest. (And I say this as one who is incredibly pleased w/ this class and was admonishing CockTail for his desire to have a class of 25 5-stars.)
Old 02-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #530
KaneisAble
Banned

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
Well he will certainly have talented WR's to throw to as well.

So you think the offense may look more like the 2010 version than this years version? Run heavy and a deep ball or two mixed in.
Eric: I think you're going to see a more traditional offense. Dylan (at his best) is very adept at spreading the ball around and letting the RBs do the running. He doesn't have the scrambling ability of Shaw but he can scamper when needed.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #531
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
One of these days I am going to get around to posting the pictures of my gameday experience from the clempson game. I went on a tour of Williams Brice, the locker rooms, the media center, the VIP rooms, the whole shebang. Got my picture taken with several star players lockers (No, I didn't touch anything) and saw where they hang out, have the pregame meals and do the workouts.

Here is what you, and others who have this question need to understand. Every single thing I was shown that regarded players had been upgraded since 2005. (i.e. the year Spurrier arrived) The media center hasn't been upgraded at all and it shows, looks like it was done in the Mad Men era and not touched since. We have a LONG way to go to catch some of these schools when it comes to facilities. We do have some nice things, but not like some other places. Now not all of these places are doing this wisely, Tennessee racked up amazing amounts of debt building their place. But it probably played a part in flipping Scott, so take it for what its worth. Compare that with the trophy cases, as C2 said, and it's an uphill battle before it even gets started. I've said it a few times now, Alabama has twice as many National Championship trophies as we have bowl wins. To say "We should recruit like Alabama" is a little shortsighted to say the least.

Being an independent for so long absolutely killed what we were able to do on a broad scale for quite a long time. The leadership of the school really hurt us in those regards, as far as I'm concerned.
If we hadn't of bailed out of the ACC when we did, they would have continued to screw us royally. Plus, we would likely have not have gotten into the SEC. On balance, being an independent was a good decision.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #532
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 200
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

If our Oline improves the run blocking Dylan will be find...If not...Dylan will have a tough year Im afraid....I really wished we had Shaw back for one more year...I feel if we had Shaw back we would be set for a legit run at The NC Game..
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #533
rrsandersjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
rrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his combrrsandersjr is developing his comb

I hate to be that guy, but Dylan only played a few downs against Nebraska...it was against Michigan where he played well. Also, he played better against Mizzou than he is given credit for...two red zone fumbles cost us pts. He seems to play better when he knows that he is going to play. The two games that he started, ECU and Clemson, and the Outback when Spurrier said that he would play.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #534
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
If we hadn't of bailed out of the ACC when we did, they would have continued to screw us royally. Plus, we would likely have not have gotten into the SEC. On balance, being an independent was a good decision.
The first statement is true, I never said I wanted us to stay in the ACC.

The second is possible, but not inevitable. We could have joined another conference and went to the SEC during the expansion.