CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
Thenardier
SanAntonioCock
Spurticus
MACXIMVS
Bobby Boucher
rdwylie
JerseyBird
COCKYWOOD
b381l
Sindarius Thornwell (976)
Chicago ND fan/SEC b (701)
Well gameday just go (500)
Happy Birthday, Coac (450)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (398)
Your most famous twi (331)
Unsung Hero (256)
South Carolina @ Aub (251)
Softball takes final (158)
Athlon Ranks the SEC (150)
Athlon Ranks the SEC's QB
17 Ridiculous Kitchen Gad
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Season Rankings Thread...
Sindarius Thornwell Draft
Connor Mitch
Burger Kings angry whoppe
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i

Old 02-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #81
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material
Default Re: Official Sochi 2014 XXII Winter Olympiad Thread

I think figure skating should get as much coverage as it does sorry but to attract a small percentage of women views at the expense of real sports fans is just plain stupid. There are a ton of other sports that deserve more coverage except all that X-Games crap that has invaded the Olympics.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:01 PM   #82
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
I think figure skating should get as much coverage as it does sorry but to attract a small percentage of women views at the expense of real sports fans is just plain stupid. There are a ton of other sports that deserve more coverage except all that X-Games crap that has invaded the Olympics.
They play to their audience. It's incorrect that it only draws a "small percentage of women". It's consistently one of the highest viewed winter Olympic sports from both sexes, so they cover it a lot. NBC has been covering the Olympics for a long time, they know where their views come from. Just because you don't watch doesn't mean others don't. Ratings have slipped a little as the US lost their past dominance, but it's still one of the most popular winter sports.

Also, for what it's worth, you can be an Figure Skating fan and also a "real sports fan". Example: me.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #83
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I am all about the curling personally. That is my kind of sport. Not the sweeping part though. That looks pretty tough. I want to be the one at end yelling "sweep faster!" and then give me my medal.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #84
SanAntonioCock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 111606
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

I think I could handle pushing that circley thing at the start.

Never forget the "y"
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #85
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
They play to their audience. It's incorrect that it only draws a "small percentage of women". It's consistently one of the highest viewed winter Olympic sports from both sexes, so they cover it a lot. NBC has been covering the Olympics for a long time, they know where their views come from. Just because you don't watch doesn't mean others don't. Ratings have slipped a little as the US lost their past dominance, but it's still one of the most popular winter sports.

Also, for what it's worth, you can be an Figure Skating fan and also a "real sports fan". Example: me.
It all goes back to that one thing it's a pageant it isn't a sport since humans are judging who is the best when all routines are different, there isn't a set scale as to what determines what score. People complain about the BCS formula is hard to comprehend at least that formula is out there, figure skating and gymnastics there isn't even a way to even try and understand how scoring is done. But to each is own. Will I turn it off tonight because there is figure skating, no because the Olympics is every 4 years so why not. I think there needs to be more diversity in prime showing rather than just one sport.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #86
B-G
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

Figure skating gets high ratings among the events.
That's why they show it.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #87
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194811
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
It all goes back to that one thing it's a pageant it isn't a sport since humans are judging who is the best when all routines are different, there isn't a set scale as to what determines what score. People complain about the BCS formula is hard to comprehend at least that formula is out there, figure skating and gymnastics there isn't even a way to even try and understand how scoring is done. But to each is own. Will I turn it off tonight because there is figure skating, no because the Olympics is every 4 years so why not. I think there needs to be more diversity in prime showing rather than just one sport.
But there are judging criteria and points awarded to different skill sets. There is a subjective element in judging figure skating and gymnastics, but is that really any different from the ump deciding a ball from a strike or calling a close play at the plate safe or out?

Figure skating is one of the few events that was included in the first Winter Olympics in 1908. One reason why it is easy to criticize it as a non-sport is because part of the event is making very challenging athletic skills look effortless. Hope you enjoy when you watch tonight.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #88
Cockypantherfan
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1627
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I am all about the curling personally. That is my kind of sport. Not the sweeping part though. That looks pretty tough. I want to be the one at end yelling "sweep faster!" and then give me my medal.
No wonder women are so good at curling, it involves a lot of sweeping.

I kid, I kid.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #89
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockMomSC View Post
But there are judging criteria and points awarded to different skill sets. There is a subjective element in judging figure skating and gymnastics, but is that really any different from the ump deciding a ball from a strike or calling a close play at the plate safe or out?

Figure skating is one of the few events that was included in the first Winter Olympics in 1908. One reason why it is easy to criticize it as a non-sport is because part of the event is making very challenging athletic skills look effortless. Hope you enjoy when you watch tonight.
A touchdown is 6 points, a triple axel well who knows what ever the judge decides what a "perfect" triple axel is. A .1 point reduction based on what? Yes what a strike is subjective but even then thought there is a strike zone but a winner isn't decided by a panel of judges.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #90
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Gymnastics actually has a very clearly defined scoring system, which was rewritten in 2010. Yes they do have judges for the deductions but certian skills have set point values. A amanar vault is worth 16.2 points. Just because you don't take the time to understand it doesn't mean it's not there. If I watch any sport I didn't take the time to learn I wouldn't understand their scoring system either. (ie, I'm completely lost on the curling scoring system. But I'm sure it makes sense)

I completely understand what you're saying. It's fine you don't like it but I'm just trying to show you the score system is there.

As far as the variety of events, did you watch ANY primetime coverage in 2012? It was probably 5 to 6 different events nightly. Sochi will be more of the same. Not sure where you're getting that it's going to be 3 solid hours of Figure Skating every night. Every sport will get it's coverage. We're not even an hour in to the primetime coverage and were already on the second event. Two more hours to go.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #91
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
A touchdown is 6 points, a triple axel well who knows what ever the judge decides what a "perfect" triple axel is. A .1 point reduction based on what? Yes what a strike is subjective but even then thought there is a strike zone but a winner isn't decided by a panel of judges.
Sometimes it seems like umps/refs are trying to decide the winner by panel vote.

There are several other panel judged sports. Diving for summer games and ski jumping in the winter are judged events and are two more of my favs. Different events have different methods for determining the winner. Sometimes the it's points on a field, judges' scores, or the stop watch. The Olympics are awesome!

Last edited by GamecockMomSC; 02-06-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #92
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockMomSC View Post
Sometimes it seems like umps/refs are trying to decide winner by panel vote.

There are several other panel judged sports. Diving for summer games and ski jumping in the winter are judged events and are two more of my favs. Different events have different methods for determining the winner. Sometimes the it's points on a field, judges' scores, or the stop watch. The Olympics are awesome!
I agree, I love all the sports! Every Olympian is so talented, in a judged sport or not!
Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #93
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
Gymnastics actually has a very clearly defined scoring system, which was rewritten in 2010. Yes they do have judges for the deductions but certian skills have set point values. A amanar vault is worth 16.2 points. Just because you don't take the time to understand it doesn't mean it's not there. If I watch any sport I didn't take the time to learn I wouldn't understand their scoring system either. (ie, I'm completely lost on the curling scoring system. But I'm sure it makes sense)

I completely understand what you're saying. It's fine you don't like it but I'm just trying to show you the score system is there.

As far as the variety of events, did you watch ANY primetime coverage in 2012? It was probably 5 to 6 different events nightly. Sochi will be more of the same. Not sure where you're getting that it's going to be 3 solid hours of Figure Skating every night. Every sport will get it's coverage. We're not even an hour in to the primetime coverage and were already on the second event. Two more hours to go.
Don't forget the 2012 London Games, CASH was being thrown out. Now if that happened in any other sport people would lose it. Now we are supposed to take a sport seriously when cash is changing hands?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #94
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114893542
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Wat? I think the x games crap has upgraded the Olympics. Half pipe is the deal!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:49 AM   #95
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

Are they on TV?
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:53 AM   #96
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalcock View Post
Wat? I think the x games crap has upgraded the Olympics. Half pipe is the deal!
Half pipe is another judged event. SS1 does not approve.

Shaun White is going to win another gold!
Old 02-07-2014, 01:14 AM   #97
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
No wonder women are so good at curling, it involves a lot of sweeping.

I kid, I kid.
I hear Mexico is the favorite this year.

ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:52 AM   #98
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Don't forget the 2012 London Games, CASH was being thrown out. Now if that happened in any other sport people would lose it. Now we are supposed to take a sport seriously when cash is changing hands?
Are you referring to gymnastics?

Money is required to file an inquiry. It's handed directly back if the challenge is won. The money is there to make sure people don't appeal every score handed out and to prove the challenge is serious. To me it's similar to how a team is charged with a time out in football if they lose a challenge.

And as far as it being used in other sports, you have to do the exact same thing in Olympic Boxing and Olympic Fencing.

Last edited by ktguen; 02-07-2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #99
B-G
Two Deep

Male

B-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudlyB-G is crowing loudly

SSO doesn't seem to be winning this one either.
Not his opinion that is bad, he just doesn't really debate the issue very well.
Must be common.

Last edited by B-G; 02-07-2014 at 11:22 AM.
B-G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #100
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Really? You think that snowboarding has made the olympics worse?

Can someone just ban you already?