CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Garnetnblack99
kingoftheroost
CockyLifer
b381l
ZenUSC
Regalcock
peterlemon
ktguen
Cockhornleghorn
2014 Junkanoo Jam ** (2500)
Morris to SMU (1771)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (1214)
Carolina on a Walmar (664)
Game simulation (526)
Penniless: Creed's S (327)
Strategy First Steam (246)
Chad Morris new HC a (152)
Origin Sale Too (134)
Clemson fans (93)
Morris to SMU
Clemson fans
Have we been favored in e
Carolina on a Walmart com
BIG PROBLEM! JUST REALIZE
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Constant Updates on Watso
2017 - Savales Cann
Texans getting frustrated
Palmetto Bowl

Old 02-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #101
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material
Default Re: Official Sochi 2014 XXII Winter Olympiad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockMomSC View Post
But there are judging criteria and points awarded to different skill sets. There is a subjective element in judging figure skating and gymnastics, but is that really any different from the ump deciding a ball from a strike or calling a close play at the plate safe or out?

Figure skating is one of the few events that was included in the first Winter Olympics in 1908. One reason why it is easy to criticize it as a non-sport is because part of the event is making very challenging athletic skills look effortless. Hope you enjoy when you watch tonight.
it is easy to criticize it as a sport because rarely is there ever a clearly defined winner regardless of the effortlessness (if that is a word lol). I agree with SSO...to me a judged competition is not a sport. I think that sports should have objective outcomes. Now obviously, the amount of skill and athleticism shown by gymnists, divers, figure skaters, etc is phenomenal. Something that I could never dream of doing...so this is not a slight on them at all. I have no problem with these events being olympic events, but to me they fall outside the definition of a sport. I, for one, like to watch the events b/c it is amazing what people can do and to see the amount of dedication that is involved in competing at this high of a level.
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #102
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

I present to you, my official Opening Ceremonies drinking game

Take one drink every time:
-the torch is shown
-"Olympic Spirit" is said
-Team Russia is mention
-any reference to the 1980s Miracle Hockey Team
-a new county enters
-people form the Olympic Rings

Take 2 drinks every time:
-a country you've never heard of enters
-a country with less than 10 people enters
-a country you've visited enters
-fashion analysis of team uniforms
-a "non winter" company enters (aka Jamaica)

Take a shot/chug your drink when
-the cauldron is lit
-Team USA enters
-Tonya Harding reference
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #103
InletCock1989
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 672
InletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudlyInletCock1989 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post

-the torch is shown
-Team Russia is mention
-a new county enters

-the cauldron is lit
-Team USA enters
-Tonya Harding reference
Im pretty sure unless you fell asleep in history classes; you should know or heard of every country.
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:55 AM   #104
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:

-the torch is shown
-Team Russia is mention
-a new county enters

-the cauldron is lit
-Team USA enters
-Tonya Harding reference
your liver is begging you not to play this game, lol! I would not make it through the first hour
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #105
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

Quote:

-the torch is shown
-Team Russia is mention
-a new county enters

-the cauldron is lit
-Team USA enters
-Tonya Harding reference
To be the official drinking game for the Russian games, the drink must be vodka.

Here are some suggestions.

http://www.columbusalive.com/content...cocktails.html

I have an addition.
*Putin is shown on TV.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #106
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:

-the torch is shown
-Team Russia is mention
-a new county enters

-the cauldron is lit
-Team USA enters
-Tonya Harding reference
This game will get you super ****ed up really fast.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #107
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by InletCock1989 View Post
Im pretty sure unless you fell asleep in history classes; you should know or heard of every country.
You would think, but there are a lot of people out there who don't give a shit what else is outside of the US.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #108
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by InletCock1989 View Post
Im pretty sure unless you fell asleep in GEOGRAPHY classes; you should know or heard of every country.
FIFY
Old 02-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #109
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
You would think, but there are a lot of people out there who don't give a shit what else is outside of the US.
Plus by the time the Olympics roll around every 2 years it seems like some of them obscure countries have been renamed or broken off from someone else. Like I remember in 2012 I had never heard of most of the dissolved countries of the Neatherlands Antillies competing by themselves for the first time. Curacao, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, Saba....yep no clue.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #110
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Plus by the time the Olympics roll around every 2 years it seems like some of them obscure countries have been renamed or broken off from someone else. Like I remember in 2012 I had never heard of most of the dissolved countries of the Neatherlands Antillies competing by themselves for the first time. Curacao, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, Saba....yep no clue.
Bonaire is awesome. Even though they are part of the Netherlands, and speak Dutch, they use the American Dollar. FWIW.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #111
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Bonaire is awesome. Even though they are part of the Netherlands, and speak Dutch, they use the American Dollar. FWIW.
All of those countries seem awesome now that I learned more about them! I caught an episode of House Hunters in Curacao shortly afterwards too.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #112
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Addition to my earlier drinking game, 1 drink for every inspirational Visa commercial.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #113
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1373
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:

-the torch is shown
-Team Russia is mention
-a new county enters

-the cauldron is lit
-Team USA enters
-Tonya Harding reference
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #114
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post
Well SPOILER ALERT you'll be chugging at least two drinks, one for the games being opened and one because there was a pretty sizable technical error right at the beginning, haha
Old 02-07-2014, 08:21 PM   #115
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutTheSuccop View Post
it is easy to criticize it as a sport because rarely is there ever a clearly defined winner regardless of the effortlessness (if that is a word lol). I agree with SSO...to me a judged competition is not a sport. I think that sports should have objective outcomes. Now obviously, the amount of skill and athleticism shown by gymnists, divers, figure skaters, etc is phenomenal. Something that I could never dream of doing...so this is not a slight on them at all. I have no problem with these events being olympic events, but to me they fall outside the definition of a sport. I, for one, like to watch the events b/c it is amazing what people can do and to see the amount of dedication that is involved in competing at this high of a level.
This, I would never question the athletic ability of gymnasts or any similar sport, they are athletes saying they aren't is plain ignorance, they belong in the Olympics, they just aren't sports.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:25 PM   #116
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Are you referring to gymnastics?

Money is required to file an inquiry. It's handed directly back if the challenge is won. The money is there to make sure people don't appeal every score handed out and to prove the challenge is serious. To me it's similar to how a team is charged with a time out in football if they lose a challenge.

And as far as it being used in other sports, you have to do the exact same thing in Olympic Boxing and Olympic Fencing.
If they lose the challenge the money goes where, why not just have one challenge if you win that challenge you keep that challenge, why does cash even need to be involved as part of a sport anyway? If cash was used as means of a challenge in the NFL people would immediately think payoff. Maybe that is too simple of a concept....
Old 02-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #117
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Really? You think that snowboarding has made the olympics worse?

Can someone just ban you already?
I love snowboarding as the same concept as bobsledding, luge, etc but the acrobatics belong in the X Games where they belong, that is my opinion if you don't like it oh well, but calling for someone to be banned because you don't agree with them is just plain f'n stupid, it is called a DISCUSSION FORUM.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #118
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1039000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Zero events scheduled for today ? What the heck is that ?
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #119
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
Zero events scheduled for today ? What the heck is that ?
Opening ceremonies.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #120
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1039000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
Opening ceremonies.
Damn I'm a dumbass ! Sorry .........
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote