CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Hoodrow Wilson
kingofnerf
spurrierismyhomeboy
GamecockSuperFan
Geno-ista
peterlemon
AtlGAMECOCK
rosstheboss
qcgamecock
GregoryHouse
**USC vs. Clemson GA (8533)
SOS on twitter now (2225)
Ward breaks down DE (2105)
Interview with Spurr (1104)
Spring Depth Chart q (661)
Ladies #3 in AP (295)
bleacher seats in th (233)
I hope to die this d (151)
Marshawn Lynch's bus (149)
Collaborative effort (126)
Ward breaks down DE posit
450 Million fans
HILLCREST RAMS ON COURSE
bleacher seats in the out
**USC vs. Clemson GAME #3
I hope to die this doesn'
ALL CONNOR SHAW DISCUSSIO
Spring Depth Chart questi
SOS on twitter now
Dudes Vs. Chicks?

View Poll Results: Recruiting vs Coaching?
Recruiting 6 9.23%
Coaching 59 90.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #4701
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 0
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material
Default Re: Ranking our recruiters for 2014

nm...

nice list...looks like it took some time to set it up

Obviously, it looks like (based on your number system) that Elliot should get more credit for his recruting but of course there is far more variables than whether or not someone signed when figuring out who is the best recruiter.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #4702
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Star Conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
more than that really. the 4 and 5 stars are guys that shined when the were wee sophomores and freshmen in HS. They get the attention while the ignored people grow bigger stronger better finally get a chance to start on the team and shine but the Georgias and Alabamas and Floridas are too busy fighting over those dudes that were so good as youngins that they pretty much ignore these "late-bloomers"
That's a good point, there are some kids that get the spotlight very early on and are deemed "can't miss." Noel Devine comes to mind.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #4703
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 500
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Skycocker View Post
I think your system is horribly flawed
Do one better and lets talk about yours...

Edit: So it turns out that 247 has their own raking system (but I think it's multi year, not just 2014....)

Elliott 59.22
Mangus 57.98
Ward 55.96
Adams 47.3
Brown 47.25
Spurrier, Jr 41.1
Sands 34.46
Botkin 26.51
Robinson 16.61

FWIW, I'm not concerned with the top of either raking system....

Last edited by Lonnie; 02-07-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:08 PM   #4704
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Plus, I know Whammy kills it.
Whammy brings more to the table than just recruiting...

Old 02-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #4705
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2178
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Rather than by recruiter, can you correlate by regions. IOW, I think your score may relate to the region the coach was assigned to recruit.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #4706
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 115054578
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Good stuff. Nerd points achieved ;)

The mitigating factors are that I heard the interview with green. They asked him about Grady brown and it seemed that his conversation with SOS was the deal sealer along with whammy.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #4707
Lonnie
Band

Male

Ya'll remember how KICK @$$ our special teams were last year, right??

Old 02-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #4708
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

NJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talons

You should divide by the number of recruits they had so a guy that got 15 3*s wouldn't be rated higher than a guy with 5 5*s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #4709
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Magnus is our best recruiter. Ward close second.

There really is no way to quantify it, though. A great recruiter may get someone to come to an official visit here, that would have never otherwise come here. However, that recruit is being recruited by another great recruiter at a school that has better tradition, closer to home, offers a better chance at early playing time, etc. The recruit may choose the second school, but it was still a great job by the first recruiter to get him even thinking of his school in the first place. There is just so much that goes into it (including money under the table) that its hard to say who is better. To be honest, I'm convinced that the guys always near the top aren't really that great, they just offer lots of money (Ed Orgeron comes to mind).
Old 02-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #4710
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

If coach robinson isn't a good recruiter, what is he doing for his supper?
Old 02-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #4711
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Spurrier's laundry?

It damn sure isn't special teams coaching.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #4712
CharlotteGameCock
4-Star

Male

CharlotteGameCock rules the CockPitCharlotteGameCock rules the CockPitCharlotteGameCock rules the CockPitCharlotteGameCock rules the CockPitCharlotteGameCock rules the CockPitCharlotteGameCock rules the CockPitCharlotteGameCock rules the CockPitCharlotteGameCock rules the CockPitCharlotteGameCock rules the CockPitCharlotteGameCock rules the CockPitCharlotteGameCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Do one better and lets talk about yours...

Edit: So it turns out that 247 has their own raking system (but I think it's multi year, not just 2014....)

Elliott 59.22
Mangus 57.98
Ward 55.96
Adams 47.3
Brown 47.25
Spurrier, Jr 41.1
Sands 34.46
Botkin 26.51
Robinson 16.61

FWIW, I'm not concerned with the top of either raking system....

Lonnie - you're such a d*ck for taking the time to put this list together. It might be the single worst thing you've done in your life.

Sriously, ut's an interesting list and largely aligns with what I would assume as the top tier of our recruiters, with Ward, Mangus, Elliott and Adams being at the top.

Hopefully Botkin and Robinson are good fundraisers, esp. Robinson since ST have been so bad.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #4713
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Default Re: Def End and 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornCocky'86 View Post
Trust me these guys know full well of ALL the +'s and -'s of joining any program. It's up to them to decide for themselves what's best and these posts will not change that.
So, you PM'd me about my opinion but I rather just answer it here.

Look, I know we're not 'Bama (duh) but we are an SEC and national power now. To do that you need depth, and a lot of it. In the past we'd be lucky if a couple of 4 stars would be interested in playing for us, now we have a line full of them.

It's what it takes, and my point is that the LSU's, 'Bama, Auburns, and Georgias of the world aren't worried about who they signed the year before.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #4714
CockyLifer
Gamecocks R US MGMT

Male

CockyCash: 89095
CockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot materialCockyLifer is USC mascot material

Yeah Special Teams needs vast improvement but maybe it will be his best year this year with more continuity with the players? Or does he know someone sorry about conspiracy.
THE University of SOUTH CAROLINA!

Old 02-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #4715
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1097400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
So now that the excitement of signing day has come and gone, coupled with it being a slow day at the office, I decided to try and put some metrics to our recruiters for the 2014 class.

Here is my methodology. I took all of our recruits and looked at both their composite score on 24-7 and their 24-7 score. Since the 247 composite is listed as a decimal (0.9528) and their regular score is listed as a whole number less than 100, I multiplied their composite by 100 then added the two together and divided by 2. For example. BAW has a composite of 0.9503 and a 247 score of 96. After I normalized the first score, that gave BAW a rank of 95.515

I then examined who recruited them. For example BAW was recruited solely by Whammy. So I gave Whammy all of the points for BAW. If a recruit had a secondary recruiter I gave the primary guy 100% of those points and the secondary guy 50% of those points. For example. Dante Sawyer had a score of 94.875 in my arbitrary system. He was recruited by Mangus and Adams. So I gave Mangus all 94.875 points and Adams 47.4375 points. Unfair? Possibly, but stay with me. Here's how it all shook out.

Elliott 446.11
Spurrier Jr 385.465
Adams 359.6775
Brown 313.41
Mangus 279.105
Ward 276.825
Sands 89.705
Robinson 87.265
Botkin 86.235

Further breaking it down to primary vs secondary points....

Elliott 446.11, 0
Spurrier Jr 251.08, 134.385
Adams 178.555, 181.1225
Brown 177.76, 135.65
Mangus 279.105, 0
Ward 276.825, 0
Sands 89.705, 0
Robinson 0, 87.265
Botkin 86.235, 0

Discuss.

Interesting. Thanks for putting it together. What was your method for deciding who got the points for a split recruitment?
Old 02-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #4716
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
Interesting. Thanks for putting it together. What was your method for deciding who got the points for a split recruitment?
Third Paragraph of the description. First recruiter got full points. Secondary got 1/2.

You could do it any number of ways. All I was looking for a was a quick thumbnail of how our coaches did.

To all of them. (Almost...)

Old 02-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #4717
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1007834
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material
Default Re: Player Rank by Offers

There are a lot of Florida and Georgia players on that 2015 list.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #4718
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

CockyCash: 283
BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Def End and 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
So, you PM'd me about my opinion but I rather just answer it here.

Look, I know we're not 'Bama (duh) but we are an SEC and national power now. To do that you need depth, and a lot of it. In the past we'd be lucky if a couple of 4 stars would be interested in playing for us, now we have a line full of them.

It's what it takes, and my point is that the LSU's, 'Bama, Auburns, and Georgias of the world aren't worried about who they signed the year before.
This is much clearer POV. And while I know where you're coming from, it's unlikely will ever have the kind of year in and year out recruiting they have...maybe one day. Like it or not we don't have the same luxuries as those schools.

But we've done really good recently so no need to fret on it...
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
Old 02-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #4719
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

Default Re: Discussion: Def End and 2015

True, although I disagree with some on here that claim we'll never recruit like 'Bama, LSU, or Florida. 'Bama is experiencing perhaps the greatest period of recruiting in modern history, but they weren't always like they are now, they've had down periods.

Same for LSU and Florida is a relative latecomer to SEC elite status.

If programs never emerged and evolved Princeton and Army would still be winning the national title every year. When I was in school I would have laughed at you if you had said that Oregon would be one of the big boys in college football. Although it took Nike money to happen, it happened.

We're blessed by being the SEC and living near fertile recruiting ground. If we can get over the hump and win an SEC championship or two and a national title there's it's not unreasonable to see us rise to the recruiting level of UGA and Florida every year.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #4720
FurmanCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 290
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Discussion: Ranking our recruiters for 2014

The other thing, since coaches are assigned areas/regions to target:
1. How target rich is that area?
2. How effective is a position coach at recognizing talent for other positions and then being able to close on that kid (i.e. Sands recruiting a DT)?
Closed Thread