CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
kingofnerf
NinjaSven
Jim Lahey
Storm Of Spurs
roosterdude21
Sandstorm29
wincocks84
jonesz2
Marquavius Lewis (2717)
So, why is next year (2519)
How Long Will The Re (1700)
Why do so many of yo (1231)
Restaurant musts in (1202)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (893)
Shot in the arm for (881)
Custom Jersey (496)
5 Gourmet Foods That (355)
Abu Bowl Ready (279)
5 Gourmet Foods That Used
Nosovitch/bowl/ question.
The Vent and Coaching cha
Previewing Clemson
2016 - Jordan Giberti
looks like we have 2 OL r
How Long Will The Rebuild
Marquavius Lewis
2015 Signee - Sherrod Pit
Why do so many of you guy

Old 02-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #81
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockFighter has feathers coming inCockFighter has feathers coming inCockFighter has feathers coming in
Default Re: 2014 Projected Depth Chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
QB - Thompson / Mitch
RB - Davis / Williams
FB - McLaurin / Blue
X - Roland / Jeffery
Z - Cooper / Samuel
B - Byrd / Jones
TE - Adams / Anderson
LT - Robinson / Zandi
LG - Cann / B. Stadnik
C - Waldrop / C. Stadnik
RG - Rodgers / Park
RT - Shell / Matulis

DE - Dixon / Johnson
DT - Surratt / Griffin
DT - Lamin / Dixon, Jr.
DE - English / Thomas
WILL - Moore / Allen-Williams
MIKE - Lewis / Walton
SPUR - Golightly / Bryant
CB - McWilliams / Green
CB - Groves / D.J. Smith
BS - Williams / Gurley
FS - Elder / Marcus

P - Hull
K - Fry
KO - Ard
KR - Samuel or Lammons
PR - Cooper
Great Job CoverTwo. This is the most likely two deep I have seen.
CockFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #82
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Regardles...it is nice to actually have options to talk about.
WE used to not know who are best guys were because they were so bad.

Now, we argue who our best 44 are because the guys behind them are pretty damn good too.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #83
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I also expect Lammons to contribute at corner, he may not make the 2 deep but he will be in there at some point.
At the very least I could see him and Samuel doing kick and punt returns.
Two-time National Champs

Old 02-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #84
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockFighter View Post
Great Job CoverTwo. This is the most likely two deep I have seen.
I like his as well.
The only thing I would change is move Cedrick Cooper for David Johnson (think Johnson will be a DT).
And hell, we got the guys, go three-deep at LB with Holloman and Roberts.

The more quality depth we have the less chance our guys get tired.
Fresh bodies are the key going against the hurry-up spread offense.
Two-time National Champs

Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #85
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
I see you finally hopping on the Golightly bandwagon haha. You were always saying Diggs was gonna take over while I was projecting Golightly all along.

I bet you think that Bryant is going to overtake him this year too. I think he'll log a ton of snaps
I wouldn't say I am on the bandwagon but I do think he has improved and really got after it the last 2 games of the season. I did not expect Diggs to be as average as he was last year. For whatever reason, he plays stiff and he doesn't move as well as myself and others had hoped.

As far as Bryant, I doubt he takes a Senior's job but if he can't get the backup job at some point in the year, something is terribly wrong IMO. That guy is way to talented to just be playing Special Teams in year 2.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #86
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhn View Post
Cover2s list seems pretty accurate. Anyone that has Roberts above 4th string wasnt watching our D last year. Still dont get why anyone with a brain thinks we redshirt a guy like Lammons. He signed with us because he has a great chance to play right away. Unless he bombs at practice (or gets injured) and he wknt, we would be liars to RS him. This is how recruiting works now, you dont redshirt highly recruitef kids after selling them on the opportunity to play right away.
You can make an argument that Lammons, Green, Harris, and Smith should all play as freshmen but that will not be the case if McWilliams and Groves are healthy. Also have to account for Jamari Smith if he is indeed going back to Corner and if Ronnie Martin stays with the team. A lot of competition there for 3 Corner spots.

I think Green and Smith are the only locks to play right now.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 02-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #87
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I just don't see Wilds getting knocked out of the RB2 spot barring injury or a meltdown. Williams may be the more talented runner, but Wilds has been in the system for a long time now and has proven his abilities repeatedly on the field vs SEC opponents. Also, Spurrier seems to be pretty loyal to his upperclassmen these days. We all knew that Davis was a more talented runner than Miles, but Miles still got the lion's share of carries in '12 (I realize that that isn't an exact analogy of the Wilds/Williams situation in '14, but you get my point).
No argument here but when you sign the type of talent that USC has signed the past 3 classes, the cream eventually rises to the top (Henry and Hill scenarios). I think this will be a case where Williams' explosiveness and higher likelihood to break off a big one will overcome Brandon's grind it out, push the pile running style. We've seen what that kind of ability does for us (Davis).

Again, love Wilds. I think he is a very solid SEC back but I just think a better talent is going to emerge.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #88
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
How or where do you think Sawyer and Wideman will factor in to the DL rotation if they're on campus?
I'm not counting on either being on campus and I'm not 100% confident Thomas will be here either. Apparently he has to take an online course? How many times has that worked out well for us?

If they did somehow make it to school, Sawyer has a better chance to contribute immediately than Wideman. Staff needs to figure out if Dexter is going to be a DE or DT. My money is he ends up at DT.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #89
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
I like his as well.
The only thing I would change is move Cedrick Cooper for David Johnson (think Johnson will be a DT).
And hell, we got the guys, go three-deep at LB with Holloman and Roberts.

The more quality depth we have the less chance our guys get tired.
Fresh bodies are the key going against the hurry-up spread offense.
Johnson is built a lot like Gerald Dixon. We need someone that can anchor down to set the edge over there. That was a big problem with Chaz for some reason (I guess he played too tall?) and why Dixon ate into his playing time a bit.

Not sure if I agree on Cooper. They are asking him to pile on a ton of weight this offseason. I'd be shocked if he was anywhere close to 250 in the Fall. He was already on the thin side.

I thought TJ Holloman really regressed last year after the Arkansas game. Kind of hit a wall. I love Marcquis Roberts' motor but he is a average tackler at best. He gets around the ball and just whiffs.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #90
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Quote:
You can make an argument that Lammons, Green, Harris, and Smith should all play as freshmen but that will not be the case if McWilliams and Groves are healthy. Also have to account for Jamari Smith if he is indeed going back to Corner and if Ronnie Martin stays with the team. A lot of competition there for 3 Corner spots.

I think Green and Smith are the only locks to play right now.
I tend to agree with that.
Can't forget about the guys already on campus...the coaches think they can play too, and they will have a least a year in the program, a year of strength training and a year of maturity on the incoming freshman.

Not saying the freshman won't play...but let's not award the freshman playing time because what they did in high school.

They have to earn it from guys like Rico (who was fighting for playing time before he got inujred) and Ali, who came in with a lot of hype. And can't forget about a guy like Jamari, who scouts said his future was at DB.
Two-time National Champs

Old 02-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #91
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
No argument here but when you sign the type of talent that USC has signed the past 3 classes, the cream eventually rises to the top (Henry and Hill scenarios). I think this will be a case where Williams' explosiveness and higher likelihood to break off a big one will overcome Brandon's grind it out, push the pile running style. We've seen what that kind of ability does for us (Davis).

Again, love Wilds. I think he is a very solid SEC back but I just think a better talent is going to emerge.
I can't wait to see how it shakes out. I'm excited to see what Williams looks like in person at some spring practices. Personally, I think Wilds's different running style probably makes him a more effective change of pace back to spell Davis... but if Williams is just THAT GOOD then he could unseat him... not really something you can complain about.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #92
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Johnson is built a lot like Gerald Dixon. We need someone that can anchor down to set the edge over there. That was a big problem with Chaz for some reason (I guess he played too tall?) and why Dixon ate into his playing time a bit.
While Dixon can certainly set the edge, he didn't show very much ability to bend the edge. With Clowney on the other side and teams running at Sutton/Dixon 80% of the time, the move made a lot of sense. Ideally you'd like to have some more pass rush ability, though. Sawyer seems to be a pretty ideal - and physically ready - SDE candidate if he can get in and learn the system.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #93
jayceecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

Based on our present personnel, I would like to see Whammy go to 3-4 as a base defense. Seems our strength and depth on defense will be the LBs.

Putting another LB on defense will help the young corners underneath, put in more blitz pkgs to utilize speed and the DL only has gap responsibilities to free the backers.

More and more college teams are going back to 3-4. Bama, Georgia, Oregon, Oklahoma, Stanford, Wisconsin are some off the top of my head.
jayceecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #94
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo;4083067[B
]I'm not counting on either being on campus and I'm not 100% confident Thomas will be here either.[/b] Apparently he has to take an online course? How many times has that worked out well for us?

If they did somehow make it to school, Sawyer has a better chance to contribute immediately than Wideman. Staff needs to figure out if Dexter is going to be a DE or DT. My money is he ends up at DT.
Man, that would be disheartening. If Wideman makes it, he could at least start at DE and help out there next year before eventually growing in to a DT.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #95
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1000001185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Golightly got a lot better as the year went on. Some forget he was 2nd team All-SEC. He made that huge 4th down tackle in the backfield against Winsconsin.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #96
garnet_black215
Section 509, Row 13

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Golightly got a lot better as the year went on. Some forget he was 2nd team All-SEC. He made that huge 4th down tackle in the backfield against Winsconsin.
He really started playing well against MSU. It was good to see him come along later in the year, and if Bryant and Diggs can progress at the SPUR, that gives us plenty of options there.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #97
War Rooster
Fear The Visor

Male

War Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talonsWar Rooster has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Skype™ to War Rooster

Quote:
QB - Thompson / Mitch
RB - Davis / Williams
FB - McLaurin / Blue
X - Roland / Jeffery
Z - Cooper / Samuel
B - Byrd / Jones
TE - Adams / Anderson
LT - Robinson / Zandi
LG - Cann / B. Stadnik
C - Waldrop / C. Stadnik
RG - Rodgers / Park
RT - Shell / Matulis

DE - Dixon / Johnson
DT - Surratt / Griffin
DT - Lamin / Dixon, Jr.
DE - English / Thomas
WILL - Moore / Allen-Williams
MIKE - Lewis / Walton
SPUR - Golightly / Bryant
CB - McWilliams / Green
CB - Groves / D.J. Smith
BS - Williams / Gurley
FS - Elder / Marcus

P - Hull
K - Fry
KO - Ard
KR - Samuel or Lammons
PR - Cooper
A couple of things jump out at me when I see C2's spot-on depth chart:

Offense: I think it's all going to come down to how well Dylan Thompson plays next year. That's a very solid group from top to bottom, and they're going to give Dylan a lot of help. He's going to have a terrific running game supporting him, good talent at wide out, and a big line in front of him. We still need to see better consistency on the o-line, but that unit has come a long way in the last few years from what it once was. So the real question will be: can we get high-level performance from Dylan week in and week out? If so, this could be a really dangerous-to-explosive offensive unit. If not, then Connor Mitch may have to grow up a little ahead of schedule. I feel good about Thompson based on his past performances, and therefore I feel good about our chances to score a lot of points, but only time will tell.

Defense: I sincerely hope I'm wrong about this, but I think we're going to need to be a dangerous-to-explosive offensive unit. For the first time in a long time, I have some serious concerns about the defensive line going into a season. I think we can all agree that last year's d-line underperformed at times, and this year's line up just can't match last year's group in terms of raw talent. I don't see a single player on the line who has proven themselves to be a force yet. Further, I don't see a proven dominant pass rusher going into next season, and that is usually something championship teams have in the SEC. So as much as it pains me to say it, I think we're poised to take a step back in the trenches next year.

In addition to the defensive line, I'm worried about our ability to play lock-down coverage in the secondary. I just don't know if we'll be able to leave some of those guys on an island without giving them substantial help. And that help may be needed down in the box. This is not a good combo. So someone smarter about Gamecock football than I am needs to tell me that I don't need to worry so much about the secondary, yeah?

Happily, our young linebackers started to play much better by the end of last season, and I think we might see some real playmaking emerge from that position in the coming year. So on paper at least one of the defensive units looks to improve on last season's play.

Special Teams: There's not much to say here. We've got a kicker (who doesn't love Fry?), but punting is still a huge issue. I'd like to think the return and coverage units will be better, but who knows? I think we've all hoped for that every single year. Frankly, I'm amazed that we haven't been screwed over badly in the last couple of years by what has been some terrible special teams play at times. Our luck will not hold out forever, though. We need to play better one special teams. Period.

Overall: I feel like 2014 may be a little bit of a reversal of how it's been the last few years. I think the offense might very well carry this team until the defense can (hopefully) come around. We saw some of that at times in the first part of the season last year, but I think it might hold true even more in the coming year. If so, that means there's probably no player more important to whether or not we remain a 10+ win team next year than Dylan Thompson. Mike Davis & Co. will do a lot to lighten DT's load, but in close games in the SEC it's ultimately the QB who has to make the plays.

Intangibles: The schedule is tougher than first glances might suggest. There are potentially tough to very tough road games at Auburn, Florida, and Clemson. The home schedule is no joke, either. A&M, UGA, and Mizzou will test our home winning streak to the limit. I could easily see any of those games turning into shootouts. That said, you'd rather be at home for the tough games at the beginning of the season, and that's exactly what we get. I'd be very nervous if we played those early games on the road this year. I digress. As things stand right now, you've got to imagine that we'll be underdogs when we play at Auburn, and I think the UGA game will be another one of those close battles we've grown used to. Not sure who Vegas will pick, but I can't imagine anyone will be favored by much. A&M is a curious match up, too. The rest of our games are clearly winnable, but we've had a tendency to lose a game every year that we shouldn't have lost. That trend needs to end in 2014 if we want to have any shot at getting back to Atlanta.

Early prediction: Anywhere between 13-1 and 9-4. I think we've got enough talent to go to Atlanta if we catch some breaks this year and play really well as a team. But I also think we could take a small step back from the past few seasons if the QB situation becomes erratic and the defense regresses a bit, especially up front. Spring and Fall camps are going to be really important this year to get team chemistry settled. With three tough home games before September is over, we've got to come out of the gate strong next year.

If you forced me to pick a specific finish, right now I'd go with 10-3 (close losses to UGA, Auburn, and Florida -- with UF being our annual WTF? game). I HATE Georgia and Auburn... I just don't think that we match up all that well with them (but that's another post for another time).

War Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #98
Gamecocktuck
Old-Timer

Male

CockyCash: 717
Gamecocktuck is sharpening his clawsGamecocktuck is sharpening his clawsGamecocktuck is sharpening his clawsGamecocktuck is sharpening his clawsGamecocktuck is sharpening his claws

What a great off-season thread. Round of applause for all who participated. I certainly gained some further insight.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #99
ipull4usc
Two Deep

Male

ipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot materialipull4usc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
If Shamier doesn't pan out this year, or at least get something, I don't care how small it is, but something has got to start going for him. He either transfers, he he may be cut. He isn't anywhere near the talent level his brother was, and I am not judging him for that, but he hasn't done a thing since he has been here.

I think we could have as many as 3-4 scholarship WRs leave the program to make room for the newcomers.

-- George Burns
ipull4usc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #100
jayceecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceecock View Post
Based on our present personnel, I would like to see Whammy go to 3-4 as a base defense. Seems our strength and depth on defense will be the LBs.

Putting another LB on defense will help the young corners underneath, put in more blitz pkgs to utilize speed and the DL only has gap responsibilities to free the backers.

More and more college teams are going back to 3-4. Bama, Georgia, Oregon, Oklahoma, Stanford, Wisconsin are some off the top of my head.

Just heard that Spurrier made a call to Stoops because Oklahoma has "done some good things in the 3 and 4 down stuff. Said they were heading out to Norman on spring break to take a look.

I love the diversity of the 4-2, but with our personnel, our strength may be playing a 3-4 this year. We have inside backers that are big enough that can press the guards and quick outside backers that can bring the pressure from the edge.
jayceecock is offline   Reply With Quote