CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TAFC 5 1981
cockybreeyan
Master Bedroom
gocockswyn
catdaddy66
etowngangsta
roosterdude21
Cockhornleghorn
dirtycock
ZenUSC
Spurrier on Pharoah: (4519)
Bowl projections (1684)
Why has there been 4 (910)
Odell Becham Catch (891)
No excuse for the D (760)
A little late to the (760)
Good Omen for Saturd (573)
Texas A&M Defens (471)
Spurrier Dabo Meme (405)
SC Women #1 in AP Po (343)
Good Omen for Saturday?
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Rebutting Dabo's Rant
2015 Commitment - Marquav
Bowl projections
No excuse for the D this
Why has there been 40 yea
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
2015 Commitment - Christi
USC/clemson spread

Old 02-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material
Default SEC football coach most wins

Some of our redshirt recruits have a reasonable chance to help Coach Spurrier
to get the Bear's all time SEC win record .. Coach is 31 wins away .. Do you think Tanner should start promoting this a little more ? I believe if Coach can hang on for 6 or 7 more years , Gamecock Football will on as solid a ground as possible ..
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 996351
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Re: SEC football coach most wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
to get the Bear's all time SEC win record .. Coach is 31 wins away .. Do you think Tanner should start promoting this a little more ? I believe if Coach can hang on for 6 or 7 more years , Gamecock Football will on as solid a ground as possible ..
Who needs six or seven when we can do it in 4?
Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.
Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

31 wins is still a long ways away. Don't think it needs to be seriously talked about right now.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 224722
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Stay focus.

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
SanAntonioCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

31=3 years

BOOK IT
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
Stay focus.
^
+1

Just because we have had a strong run the past 3/4 years and have set new
high marks for this program doesn't mean we / our coaches or players, should
start looking at "milestones" when we still have much more to accomplish as
a team / program. Continue winning, aim for titles and let the milestones
fall in place when our guys get to them. JUST KEEP WINNING !!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
jrussjr
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 765832
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

^^^^^
+1

I like the mantra "one game at a time"...even if its South Alabama at the Willie B!!
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons

Heard the HBC on the Bill King show this morning. King was bragging about our program and the HBC talked about the 42 wins over the last four years but then said we haven't won the SEC yet but we need to "sneak in there and win it in the next 2-3 years".

He's focused only on the SEC, and I think that comment was telling about how much longer he thinks he can coach.

As an aside, Bill King, after the interview, asked the audience to join him in a prayer for Steve Spurrier to never retire from coaching college football. He said the game of college football is so much better when Spurrier is in it.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ View Post
31=3 years

BOOK IT
Duh....not when you play 8 conference games a year. They are talking conference wins....
Old 02-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
Take-a-Knee
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10000
Take-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot materialTake-a-Knee is USC mascot material

If this recruiting class pans out like I hope , I think the program moves up another notch towards elite .. I really like the DL potential and depth we are building .. Great time to be a Gamecock !!!
Take-a-Knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #11
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take-a-Knee View Post
I think Spurrier would like to get that number...but I think he is more focused on winning an SEC championship or two before he leaves.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #12
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfanohio View Post
Heard the HBC on the Bill King show this morning. King was bragging about our program and the HBC talked about the 42 wins over the last four years but then said we haven't won the SEC yet but we need to "sneak in there and win it in the next 2-3 years".

He's focused only on the SEC, and I think that comment was telling about how much longer he thinks he can coach.

As an aside, Bill King, after the interview, asked the audience to join him in a prayer for Steve Spurrier to never retire from coaching college football. He said the game of college football is so much better when Spurrier is in it.
That is what I like to hear.
He knows the last few years we have pissed a game away and cost ourselves a shot at the SEC title game, especially last year.

Next year, this team, with the offense we have coming back, we can compete for an SEC trip.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #13
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

I think the comment on needing to win the SEC in the next 2-3 years means we should have a team capable of it and for our recruiting and program to keep building, we need to do it soon, or else we will be looked at as just another school that can't get it done and it may begin to have an adverse reaction with media and recruits.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #14
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
31=3 years

BOOK IT
Yep, and I think that makes Coach a lock to stay for at least that long.

The man was born to break records.

Besides, he could coach circles around the Bear.

As an outsider from Texas growing up, it always amazed me at how many of Alabama's games under Bear Bryant were played against absolute powderpuffs. There were many years where they only played a handful of semi-decent teams.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #15
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Once SOS get within about 5 wins they (athletic dep) should start talking about it. Before then- it would just be a distraction.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #16
Yearofthegamecock
Game MVP

Male

Yearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot materialYearofthegamecock is USC mascot material

Spurrier has been setting goals for the team the day he got here. I think the team should set this one for him.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Yearofthegamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #17
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

it would likely take 5-6 years. with 5 being a great run, 6 being good. the only way i could see him sticking around for a 7th season to break the record is if he either feels great about the team going into that year or if he already has an sec title here and still feels the desire to coach.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:40 PM   #18
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1039000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

It's gonna take another 5 years if it takes a day. When the Boss hits 70 years old, we will be on borrowed time. I hope for Steve's sake that we do win an SEC title. I wish it more for him than for us. We as Gamecocks may never be able to compensate him for all he has done for our University.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #19
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
31=3 years

BOOK IT
It's mathematically impossible. Most you can win is 9 a-year and you have to win the SEC championship to do that.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #20
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I feel like Spurrier is more interested in team goals than he is in personal ones.