CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
zcoop
StormOfTalons
gromweat
NinjaSven
18IsTheMan
gamecock88
Master Bedroom
Goofyboy
CoverTwo
PageUSC
Nick Chubb (6385)
A&M on 3rd down (1724)
Spurrier Presser (1692)
All of our defensive (1572)
Uniform thread (1354)
Rankings (1300)
Cack's Toast of the (1278)
Spurrier: Davis Will (1267)
3-4 "D" Ke (944)
Will Devin ever suit (792)
Cack's Toast of the Game:
Spurrier: Davis Will Be A
Men's soccer vs. Clemson
Baseball Recruiting Threa
2015 Commitment - Shameik
Not a talent issue
3-4 "D" Keep it
Over reacting?
Rankings
Keeping 2015 together!

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #81
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Connor booed at upstate Christian concert

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgrad68 View Post
Actually your story is different, but not "exactly opposite." Lewis also grew up in the church, and then became an atheist at 15. Years later he was willing to re-examine his belief in God and well-versed, scientific-minded friends, including Tolkien helped in that endeavor. You seem to be a student of religious thought. I am thinking you might want to read Lewis' Mere Christianity. You may be able to identify with Lewis' experience. Lewis had a regular radio show in England and addressed many of the points you have expressed.
sure no one's life outside of fiction is exactly opposite anothers...despite going into a career in molecualr virology/oncology, I had a religious studies minor in college. I'm actually pretty familiar with Lewis's writtings. Thanks for the suggestion though. I am unfamiliar with Tolkien's contributions to science however. Do you have examples?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #82
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
How is this thread not locked?
I reckon because people are being respectful...just a guess

Old 02-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #83
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
i do not understand your first sentence and as a result cannot help your confusion. sorry
I'm not confused

Old 02-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #84
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
I'm not confused
sure thing poor choice of wording on my part. I did not understand what you meant my this statement, "I don't understand how someone can't prove that what they say they don't believe in doesn't exist." and as a result did not know how to respond to it.

and yes i agree that i hope this thread is not getting deleted because everyone is being respectful.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #85
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

This thread has turned into a religious debate which was unintended.

I just thought it was interesting to see the tater fans show that lack of class at a religious event. Nice to see Connor took the high road.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #86
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClawman View Post
This thread has turned into a religious debate which was unintended.

I just thought it was interesting to see the tater fans show that lack of class at a religious event. Nice to see Connor took the high road.
sorry if your thread got hijacked but it seems like a nice discussion rather than a debate to me.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #87
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
first off there is no christian faith singular. there are many many groups of religious people that base their beliefs off of the reported teachings of christ that as a result may be categorized as christians. some are very loving and accepting of all forms of truth. others are more hatefilled and believe only their interpretation of god's message is correcct and all others will be punished if not in this life in the next. so no the christian faith cannot be the truth because it is not one faith.

As for me personally, I believe in many truths. I believe that if there is a god, they would care more about what you do to help your fellow man. Jesus reported shared this belief, "what you do unto the least of these you have done to me". I also believe that if there is a god worth worshiping they would not love me more than the 3+ billion people that live in china and india. So I do not believe that evangelical christianity is the only truth that get you into heaven because for that to be true, god would have to love me more than at least half of the worlds population because he put them on this earth in places where they will never get the chance to even be exposed to evangelical doctorine.

so yes i believe many truths and many of them from the reported teachings of Jesus in the gospels. Those books contain many beautiful lessons. "just not lest ye be judged", as well as his teachings that expanded the rules from the hebrew bible (the old testament) to include the spirit of the laws and not just the letter of the law.

I don't believe that a god that loving god would put at least half the world at such an extreme disadvantage as to make their only be one way to getting the benefits of his love. I would classify that god not as a loving god but as a pety and hatefilled god. and one that is unworthy of worship. but if you are more capable of doing the mental gymnastics necessary to justify these seemingly conflicting ideas perhaps you have found the truth for you.
There is no need for mental gymnastics. There are only those who seek and give God their life, and those who do not.

I do not know, or need to know, who or why God will forgive. I just am glad he has forgiven me. I have faith that God is just and is filled with only good. Therefore, I do not worry about it.

If you wish to debate the philosophy of it, I could do that, but it does not seem important. I just worry for my own relationship with God and hope many others can experience it because it is the most important thing in life.

Shaq Attack
Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #88
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
There is no need for mental gymnastics. There are only those who seek and give God their life, and those who do not.

I do not know, or need to know, who or why God will forgive. I just am glad he has forgiven me. I have faith that God is just and is filled with only good. Therefore, I do not worry about it.

If you wish to debate the philosophy of it, I could do that, but it does not seem important. I just worry for my own relationship with God and hope many others can experience it because it is the most important thing in life.
you are right for thinking that ignoring the philosopical implications of religion is probably the best way to find comfort in any particular set of beliefs. I guess I'm too logical for that, so for me there is a need for mental gymnastics to devote my life to something. Thats probably why I ended up a scientist trying to cure diseases. this type of work goes better when your personality is one geared toward reason. That being said, I respect your choice to avoid philosophical discussions.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #89
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
sure thing poor choice of wording on my part. I did not understand what you meant my this statement, "I don't understand how someone can't prove that what they say they don't believe in doesn't exist." and as a result did not know how to respond to it.

and yes i agree that i hope this thread is not getting deleted because everyone is being respectful.
I'll attempt to restate

You say God doesn't exist and you don't believe in Him, yet you can't prove your position. That is what i meant

Old 02-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #90
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 200
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material

SO how about Connor Shaw getting booed at WinterFest...

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
Old 02-08-2014, 10:25 PM   #91
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
When did this happen?
Old 02-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #92
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
you are right for thinking that ignoring the philosopical implications of religion is probably the best way to find comfort in any particular set of beliefs. I guess I'm too logical for that, so for me there is a need for mental gymnastics to devote my life to something. Thats probably why I ended up a scientist trying to cure diseases. this type of work goes better when your personality is one geared toward reason. That being said, I respect your choice to avoid philosophical discussions.
Actually, the philosophical element was an extremely important reason why I believe in God. The other reasons are the historical record, which is overwhelming persuasive to me that Christ was resurrected. (He is the only human in history to rise from the dead.) Third, the Biblical prophesies and poetry (For example Psalm 22), if interpreted reasonably, point to a Messiah and match up with Christ. So, from my perspective my reason led me to my belief. In summary, I was persuaded by:

a) philosophical truth;
b) historical record; and
c) Biblical prophesy.

I don't know if it is fair to say I am a dreamer who arrived here by blind faith and no philosophical analysis.

Shaq Attack
Old 02-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #93
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

I am unaware of any historical evidence of christ's resurection. As for interpretations and religious texts, neither makes the cut of fact for me, but again I respect your decision to place more value in them

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Actually, the philosophical element was an extremely important reason why I believe in God. The other reasons are the historical record, which is overwhelming persuasive to me that Christ was resurrected. (He is the only human in history to rise from the dead.) Third, the Biblical prophesies and poetry (For example Psalm 22), if interpreted reasonably, point to a Messiah and match up with Christ. So, from my perspective my reason led me to my belief. In summary, I was persuaded by:

a) philosophical truth;
b) historical record; and
c) Biblical prophesy.

I don't know if it is fair to say I am a dreamer who arrived here by blind faith and no philosophical analysis.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #94
SanAntonioCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 221039
SanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot materialSanAntonioCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
Those damn tators!

Never forget the "y" ...and so forth.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #95
ScottK
4-Star

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb
Default Connor booed at upstate Christian concert

My favorite thing is when people complain about Christians believing they are right and then they tell everyone that they are right because they are scientists and science is always right.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:04 AM   #96
ScottK
4-Star

Male

ScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his combScottK is developing his comb

Oh and I heard that Christians fart. Can you believe that?!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #97
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
My favorite thing is when people complain about Christians believing they are right and then they tell everyone that they are right because they are scientists and science is always right.
To adress the passive agression in the room, I've been clear that I am happy fo anyone that finds a belief system that works for them. I only point out that I prefer fact and logic based moral codes. Honestly, whatevet reason you need for treating other people with dignity is the right reason.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #98
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Sbest post of the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
Those damn tators!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:16 AM   #99
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightohhthree View Post
I realize this thread is on the way to getting deleted.

Lets say for instance that I was one of the 1 Billion Muslims in this world. How would I be perceived if I were on here sharing my truth?... and Islam is just one of the 4200 religious faiths that are actively being practiced in the world. I keep my mouth shut when it comes to religion. I actually pride myself in not being one of "those" guys who tries to tell everyone they are wrong for not believing what I believe.
Jesus said be fishers of men, how you do it is key, but you have to spread the word. Place and time and proper way.

for willy
Old 02-09-2014, 12:26 AM   #100
Wiz Khalifa
Blue Chip

Male

Wiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudly

Me and Stephen Garcia prefer Bonnaroo