CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
The Yancey
IBleedGarnetandBlack
Spurticus
ZenUSC
peterlemon
Cockypantherfan
Kyle76
ccured
18IsTheMan
East Carolina Predic (2820)
Why didn't Wes Green (2045)
A&M on 3rd down (1441)
All of our defensive (1049)
You guys are horribl (979)
louisville (918)
Uniform thread (686)
Did we ever go after (517)
Watching the Georgia (511)
Wesley Green? (482)
Whiskey QB 2014
Spurrier: Davis Will Be A
Cack's Toast of the Game:
Will Devin ever suit up f
3-4 "D" Keep it
whats up with Mike?
Browns sign Rex Grossman,
Spurrier Presser
The Official USMNT Thread
MLS almost ready for play

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #121
Hoodrow Wilson
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Hoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talonsHoodrow Wilson has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Connor booed at upstate Christian concert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
i think the point is that the number of deaths caused by one religion getting mad at another religion far out number the deaths of atheist against religious folks for being religous.

i imagine you might be thinking of the christians being killed in the arenas of rome, but remember that the romans were pursecuting them for believing in the "wrong" religion, but for believing in any religion.
No, I was thinking of more recent examples like the militantly secular Stalin and Zedong regimes.

It blows my mind how that guy has never learned about Christian persecution under either.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #122
Tailfeathers
Starter

CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Christians are like homosexuals and vegans; we'll know what you are by your actions. In the end we really don't care just stfu.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #123
Tailfeathers
Starter

Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClawman View Post
This thread has turned into a religious debate which was unintended.

I just thought it was interesting to see the tater fans show that lack of class at a religious event. Nice to see Connor took the high road.
You do understand it's a rivalry right? A rivalry transcends church. If the Tater/USC game were for some reason played on Sunday at noon, a great majority of Christians would skip church to watch the game.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #124
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
oh sorry man, thats the confusion. I don't believe that god exist, at least not the evangelical christian version. but that opinion is not based on any facts. it's just what i believe
Well, i reckon you are being emotional and religious...you said that is what belief is

Old 02-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #125
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
I am unaware of any historical evidence of christ's resurection. As for interpretations and religious texts, neither makes the cut of fact for me, but again I respect your decision to place more value in them
As noted above, there is a lot of historical evidence of the resurrection. A good starting point if you are interested in exploring the subject is by a journalist, Lee Strobel, A Case for Christ. Historical evidence, by its nature, is not testable like a laboratory experiment. If you require direct evidence, you will not find it . . . only the testimony and actions from and of contemporaries of Christ.

Strobel sites a body of historical scholarship on the subject. The resurrection, if it is a real historic event as I believe it is, coupled with the other circumstantial evidence (prophetic, philosophical, and even scientific) makes a powerful argument, based on reason and evidence, that Christ is who he claimed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightohhthree View Post

Which god are we referring to? This is a respectful discussion, it's only appropriate that we differentiate which god, and which religion we are referring to. There are so many that worship god with the same level of conviction (even more in some cases.. those who are willing to die and kill others). I feel fortunate that majority of religious people don't take it to that extreme. Unfortunately, others do. How many Atheists have killed in the name of not having a god to worship? I've never in my life seen a solitary example. Just for a second think of all of the lives that have been lost, and lives that continued to be sacrificed over religious disputes. A sizable portion of world conflict stems from this topic. Judging, Fighting, Killing, What are we doing to ourselves?
I personally believe in the God of Abraham.

Shaq Attack

Last edited by yazoo; 02-09-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #126
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
How about the following atheist and their kill count:

1. Adolf Hitler
2. Joseph Stalin
3.. Chairman Mao

Yes, there has been people killed in the name of Christianity too. There are always misguided people, who take their eyes off CHRIST(if they were there to begin with) and promote their own doctrine. These type of people have religion, but they don't have the Saving Grace of JESUS CHRIST.
No No, see you misread my post. I said killed in the name of not having a god to believe in. What I am inferring is that religion has and is the basis for many world conflicts. I think killing others in the name of organized religion, regardless of what religion it is, is counter-intuitive.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #127
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I wholeheartedly agree with Gandhi.

Order Of The Spur
Old 02-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #128
gocockswyn
Starter

Female

gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with Gandhi.

That is so true and this is an example of it. Sad.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #129
eightohhthree

Male

eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material

Quote:
Let's just say for instance that I was one of the minority Christians living in a Muslim Nation, I would most likely keep my mouth shut so that I could keep my head! Thank God that we all live in a nation where we can express and live our religious beliefs as long as you don't try to force them down the throats of other people. I don't think that if someone expresses their Christian beliefs that they are trying to hurt anyone as long as it is done in a Christian manner. Why is it that every other religion in the USA can express their viewpoints, including people that don't believe and everyone is suppose to listen and be tolerant, but if a Christian mentions his faith or brings up the name of JESUS then that's when everyone gets offended. This has been a great nation for many years that was built on Christian Values and each year people tear it down more and more. Has it made us a better nation for it?????
That's my point. I've not seen one post in this thread that is offended by Christian beliefs. I don't read the Bible, but I did when I was young. I agree with much of the Bible's message in regards to how you should treat fellow man.

Our nation was not founded on Christian values, but enlightened ones. Our constitution does not mention god in any form. I think it wold be a stretch to say the founding fathers were Christian. "In god we trust" did not appear on our money until the civil war.

"The Bible is the cornerstone of liberty. A student's perusal of the sacred volume will make him a better citizen, a better father, a better husband." - Thomas Jefferson

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." —Thomas Jefferson

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." - Benjamin Franklin

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." - James Madison

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?" - John Adams

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole cartloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity." - John Adams

"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst." - Thomas Paine

Just a few examples.. General George Washington was not a religious man either.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #130
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

"The Bible is the cornerstone of liberty. A student's perusal of the sacred volume will make him a better citizen, a better father, a better husband." - Thomas Jefferson

That is my personal favorite.

In the end, it boils down to each person is free to choose what he will believe. You and I agree that we must respect each other whatever path we choose. There is nothing wrong with to people reasoning together about their life philosophy. It is too bad our society has come to a place where many people are unable to talk about an important issue without becoming angry.

Shaq Attack
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #131
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post

That is my personal favorite.

In the end, it boils down to each person is free to choose what he will believe. You and I agree that we must respect each other whatever path we choose. There is nothing wrong with to people reasoning together about their life philosophy. It is too bad our society has come to a place where many people are unable to talk about an important issue without becoming angry.
Lets more fully quote Jefferson:

"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

"History I believe furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose. " — Thomas Jefferson to Baron von Humboldt, 1813

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites" –Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782.

"Rogueries, absurdities and untruths were perpetrated upon the teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and importers led by Paul, the first great corrupter of the teaching of Jesus."

"The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind and adulterated by artificial constructions into a contrivance to filch wealth and power to themselves...these clergy, in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ."

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."

SOURCE: Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President, author, scientist, architect, educator, and diplomat

Order Of The Spur
Old 02-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #132
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Well this thread went off an a tangent and down a rabbit hole from its original post.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Old 02-09-2014, 10:52 AM   #133
eightohhthree

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
Lets more fully quote Jefferson:

"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

"History I believe furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose. " — Thomas Jefferson to Baron von Humboldt, 1813

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites" –Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782.

"Rogueries, absurdities and untruths were perpetrated upon the teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and importers led by Paul, the first great corrupter of the teaching of Jesus."

"The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind and adulterated by artificial constructions into a contrivance to filch wealth and power to themselves...these clergy, in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ."

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."

SOURCE: Thomas Jefferson, U.S. President, author, scientist, architect, educator, and diplomat
Yes, Thomas Jefferson constructed "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth" or the "Jefferson Bible" where he removed every verse dealing with the virgin birth, miracles, resurrection, claims of Jesus' divinity and other puerile superstition. The Jefferson Bible was presented to all newly elected members of Congress at that time.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #134
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

So, are there any new projections on where Connor Shaw will be drafted? The NFL is full of people who boo opposing players, so maybe this experience is just more training.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #135
helladonks
Walk On

helladonks has hatched from the shell

He should have introduced Thousand Foot Krutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #136
kingoftheroost
la-la-la

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
kingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot materialkingoftheroost is USC mascot material

This shows Connor Shaw is ready mentally for the NFL. If he can get more prepared physically, I think there's a chance he can surprise some people when the draft rolls around. I don't mean he would suddenly become a 1st rounder, but maybe he could get drafted higher than most expect.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #137
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Whether you choose to believe in God or not is a personal choice. What I don't understand though is the statements that not believing in God is somehow based in logic and fact. There are no stronger arguments against the belief in a creator than their are for a big bang.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #138
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

Quote:
How about the following atheist and their kill count:

1. Adolf Hitler
2. Joseph Stalin
3.. Chairman Mao

Yes, there has been people killed in the name of Christianity too. There are always misguided people, who take their eyes off CHRIST(if they were there to begin with) and promote their own doctrine. These type of people have religion, but they don't have the Saving Grace of JESUS CHRIST.
Just going to jump in real quickly.

1. Hitler's religious beliefs are widely debated. Many believe he was a Christian.
2. Stalin likely, according to historical accounts, used Atheism to assist in his theories of Communism, so I think you're probably right in coming to your conclusion.
3. Mao didn't kill because he was an Atheist. He rose to power and killed likely because he genuinely wanted a communistic society that he thought was in the best interest of the whole (based on the people's, and his own, oppression).

Now, I'm by no means saying anything any of these three did in their lives is okay or not attributable to some mental issues or wrongful ideologies; I'm just saying that their actions aren't necessarily rooted in Atheistic values.

Your theory that the above killed because they were Atheists is the same as saying some Catholic priests molested children because they were Christian. There were actual wars started based simply on the fact that one party was Christian.

Moreover, to distance the Christian faith from the wars started by simply saying "they [took] their eyes off of Jesus Christ" is astounding. Can we all distance ourselves from our negative actions in this manner? [E.g., "I failed math because I took my eyes off of the fact that I needed to do well to pass the exams."]

I'm not downgrading any religion, but the majority of your post is nonsensical.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #139
Sir Cuss
Blue Chip

Female

Sir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot materialSir Cuss is USC mascot material

As far as the "historical record," you can write a book right now with 10 of your friends and state that you can chop a tree down using your eyes.

3,000 years from now, when someone reads it, that doesn't make it fact.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #140
sporkgod50
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 97400000
sporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot materialsporkgod50 is USC mascot material

That's exactly my point. Thank you. Im saying my disbelief in god is. No more or less rationally based than your belief in god. Its why I don't think either of us should be proselitize their position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Well, i reckon you are being emotional and religious...you said that is what belief is