CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
KaneisAble
doubledribble
PageUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
Gamecocks1137
Jmansour333
thumpin big
b381l
TheUSCMike
kingofnerf
Busta out indefinite (1866)
SOS says his next st (1576)
Our Road Upset Wins (1462)
CBSSports SEC predic (737)
No easy road for our (617)
Roll call for Auburn (535)
Our Defense? (500)
University of Buffal (471)
Michael Sams done in (360)
Party like it's 1903 (256)
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
MMA: Holeve (Down Syndrom
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
SC vs Auburn -- Playmaker
2015 Commitment - Davon D
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Why is everyone anticipat
Holiday desserts
To ANYONE complaining abo
Our Defense?

Old 02-09-2014, 01:08 AM   #161
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material
Default Re: Official Sochi 2014 XXII Winter Olympiad Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
The 15 year old Russian figure skater is AMAZING. Oh my gosh. She's great.
If that's who i'm thinking it is, she's a darling little girl.
Gamecock_Aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:51 AM   #162
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
Yeah, but you have experience in sports that judge. I ran track and cross country so I'm all about the sports where you line up and the best man wins.

I couldn't imagine being that composed, on such a large stage at 15. I was running local cross country duel meets at 15 and I was always nervous as hell.

Let me add this too...I consider myself a bit of a Russophile. I teach AP European History and after reading everything I needed to read to get caught up, I realized that I love Russian history the most. I've gotten to go to Russia twice and I loved every minute of it and I'm looking to go back this year. I've read multiple books about Russian history, both fiction and non-fiction, including War and Peace, Anna Karenina, Crime and Punishment, Doctor Zhivago, etc. I've even watched some of the popular Soviet era movies.

My point...I loved last nights opening ceremony. The only people I know that didn't like it were people who don't know anything about Russian history or culture. It was very well done and I thought the effects were amazing. The Peter the Great part was the best in my opinion. Knowing the background to War and Peace actually brought that part to life for me. The Soviet part about the pop culture only made sense because of the movies I have seen. I could see where a lot of that didn't make sense and the commentators didn't explain it well enough.

I only bring this up because the only thing I hear people talking about is one glitch and I think it's ridiculous to criticize a three hour ceremony for a ten second problem.
I actually made the comment last night that I wish I knew more about Russian history as I think I would have appreciated it more. But I enjoyed it too. Overall really well done.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:53 AM   #163
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Russian history is easy. Serfdom, Communism, Putinism. 1,2,3.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #164
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktguen View Post
I actually made the comment last night that I wish I knew more about Russian history as I think I would have appreciated it more. But I enjoyed it too. Overall really well done.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #165
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Tsars, Leninism, Stalinism, Putinism. Other than Gorbahev (sp) there is very little of their history that should be celebrated, between the Gulags and Stalin murdering anywhere between 20-30 MILLION people not to mention Stalin was sending Jews for Hitler to exterminate. Culture on the other hand is another thing, the music, ballet, art, etc is just amazing.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #166
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 0
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

When you guys talk about it like that...

Oppression and displacement of natives, Slavery, Oppression of emancipated slaves, Imperialism, Continued oppression of minorities.

Makes history so easy.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:32 PM   #167
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Quote:

Oppression and displacement of natives, Slavery, Oppression of emancipated slaves, Imperialism, Continued oppression of minorities.

Makes history so easy.
If we were talking about the history the US you would have a point, but we are discussing Russian history.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #168
GoCCUChants
I'm the Foxy Man

Male

CockyCash: 0
GoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot materialGoCCUChants is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
If we were talking about the history the US you would have a point, but we are discussing Russian history.
My point is history is what you make it. All you are highlight is their flaws. By doing that you're denying the discussion of anything positive that came out of those times. That's what the opening ceremony did. Highlight some achievements. They highlighted St. Petersburg and I can honestly say it's the most beautiful place I've ever been. Should they have reminded us about the 1,000s who died building it? They highlighted St. Basil's which is amazing in person. They brought War and Peace to life. My point was that I felt the opening was a home run, but that's because I enjoy Russian history. Oh, and why do I think it's fascinating. Because of the times you mention. Other than Poland, show me a country of people who have shown the resolve over the course of their history (and such a long history) to continue on with their lives in such hard times. I am by no means celebrating the rule of Lenin and Stalin, but is still intriguing history to study.
GoCCUChants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #169
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

So I hear it's cold in Sochi..
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #170
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:

Makes history so easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
You do realize what he said applies to Russian history as well as US history. Natives were oppressed and relocated during the imperialistic expansion of the USSR. Maybe not the extent you think of with native Americans but it did happen.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #171
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
So I hear it's cold in Sochi..
So I hear its warm in Sochi with palm trees
Old 02-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #172
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

SPOILERS (roll over for white text)

Congrats to the US Figure Skating on Bronze in the Team Event! US also took gold earlier in women's slopestyle
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #173
GregoryHouse
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Randy Moss is a commentator for the Ski Jump Event
Old 02-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #174
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
You do realize what he said applies to Russian history as well as US history. Natives were oppressed and relocated during the imperialistic expansion of the USSR. Maybe not the extent you think of with native Americans but it did happen.
My point is we were discussing Russian history no one was talking US history, I do not understand why the subject must be shifted away from the topic at hand. By no means is the US innocent of anything, in fact quite the opposite the motto of the US should be shows us a color and we will find a way to enslave, exterminate, or round up that color. I can go down the list of what America has done over the course of it's history and some things just as worse as what the Soviets did. The biggest accomplishment I believe the Russians have done was winning the Space Race.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:34 PM   #175
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Russia crying over the finish of the Men's skiathlon, appeal made and results stand, however they will make a 2nd appeal. Two days in a row the Russians have pulled a Clemson in skiathlon.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #176
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Wow, that Norwegian snowboarder was gorgeous.
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #177
GapoGamecock51
I Put Threadz 2 Sleep

Male

CockyCash: 24873509
GapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GapoGamecock51 Send a message via Yahoo to GapoGamecock51

Hockey, Figure Skating, Both varieties of speed skating, and any of the skiing I happen to come upon.

Gapo
GapoGamecock51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #178
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

This downhill skiing that is on right now is insane. I couldn't imagine ever going that fast on skis (70+ mph). Much less leaving the earth and maintaining composure. I've seen it before but I feel like it's unusually fast this year.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #179
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

NM daily currant got me
Old 02-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #180
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenardier View Post
Wow, that Norwegian snowboarder was gorgeous.
Yes she was