CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
b381l
cocksmith1or11
NAGamecockFan
ReadR00ster
kingofnerf
BigRedCock
El Cid Ranger
Goofyboy
rrsandersjr
Freshman ND WR " (923)
Call of Duty: Advanc (548)
Good Riddance to bad (493)
Keeping tailgate foo (333)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (311)
The Comeback & T (262)
Bashing Players, coa (262)
An A to Z of Noah We (227)
Wallpaper & Back (128)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (116)
Texas athletic director:
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
The Comeback & The Bl
Rank the QBs under Spurri
TeMarcus Blanton
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Bashing Players, coaches,
Why I think we beat Aubur
Wallpaper & Backgroun

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #161
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material
Default Re: **USC vs. Tennessee GAME Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
I have followed for a long time. Did not miss a game while I was in school. Martin has shown he ca recruit, yes. But I am not sold on him as a coach or a developer of talent. KState had a lot of talent while he was there, talent can cover up coaching, look at Ohio state the past few years. At this point the the season the freshman label does not apply. Fact is the kids still play way to tense. Look at the tam game, they played loose and ran away with it. They have not played the same way since. Too many blow outs. For those who say the players should get tougher skin or whatever to deal with Martin, I ask this, shouldn't a good coach know when to change his style to the players he has? He recruited these kids to play, so he can not blame not having the talent he wants.

Feel free to attack and slam me all you guys want, but ask yourselves this, has the team really improved since game one of the season ?
I think he is doing a great job developing Thornwell and Notice, to only two worth mentioning.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #162
rosstheboss
Diehard

Male

CockyCash: 461687660
rosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot materialrosstheboss is USC mascot material

Quote:
I have followed for a long time. Did not miss a game while I was in school. Martin has shown he ca recruit, yes. But I am not sold on him as a coach or a developer of talent. KState had a lot of talent while he was there, talent can cover up coaching, look at Ohio state the past few years. At this point the the season the freshman label does not apply. Fact is the kids still play way to tense. Look at the tam game, they played loose and ran away with it. They have not played the same way since. Too many blow outs. For those who say the players should get tougher skin or whatever to deal with Martin, I ask this, shouldn't a good coach know when to change his style to the players he has? He recruited these kids to play, so he can not blame not having the talent he wants.

Feel free to attack and slam me all you guys want, but ask yourselves this, has the team really improved since game one of the season ?
I agree with a lot of your points. However, I will say that he recruited the kids he did because they responded to him, and wanted to be a part of his system. (not all of our players are his recruits obviously) They knew exactly what kind of coaching style he uses. The excuse that they just don't respond well to his in your face style of coaching is really just that, another excuse, IMO. The bottom line is that we still do not have enough decent, much less good players to put on the court. Yes, experience will help in the coming years, but we just have to hope recruiting continues to improve or else our team will remain the worst in the sec. We can't have the "problem" of talent covering up coaching without the talent.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #163
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
A very mature and well thought out answer.

It's a simple question, why is he the man for the job?
I try to avoid feeding the trolls.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #164
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitandswitch View Post
I try to avoid feeding the trolls.
Been around here a lot longer than you, I am no troll. But if you can't have an honest discussion about the program with out negative comments about another poster, so be it.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #165
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post
I agree with a lot of your points. However, I will say that he recruited the kids he did because they responded to him, and wanted to be a part of his system. (not all of our players are his recruits obviously) They knew exactly what kind of coaching style he uses. The excuse that they just don't respond well to his in your face style of coaching is really just that, another excuse, IMO. The bottom line is that we still do not have enough decent, much less good players to put on the court. Yes, experience will help in the coming years, but we just have to hope recruiting continues to improve or else our team will remain the worst in the sec. We can't have the "problem" of talent covering up coaching without the talent.
Oh I know they knew what they were getting into, however my point stands, if they are not responding it is the coaches job to figure out how to get them to respond.

Last edited by SCohioBoy; 02-09-2014 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:29 PM   #166
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
Been around here a lot longer than you, I am no troll. But if you can't have an honest discussion about the program with out negative comments about another poster, so be it.
The been around longer point has nothing to do with the fact that you're trolling this board for someone to argue with over Frank Martin. It's not a discussion you're looking for and you know it.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #167
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

So another words you can't try and convince someone why he is the right person for the job?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #168
StretfordEnd
TURNT UP IN SECTION 18

Male

CockyCash: 400
StretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his combStretfordEnd is developing his comb

I think anybody already passing judgment on Martin halfway through his second season is reaching. He has absolutely NOTHING to work with on the roster, not to mention the loss of Ellington and Johnson. Martin inherited a dumpster fire. It is going to take him time to fix it.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #169
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretfordEnd View Post
I think anybody already passing judgment on Martin halfway through his second season is reaching. He has absolutely NOTHING to work with on the roster, not to mention the loss of Ellington and Johnson. Martin inherited a dumpster fire. It is going to take him time to fix it.
But have we honestly seen any improvement this year?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #170
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

Clemson went 13-18(5 and 13 in conference) in Brownell's third year(I think). In his fourth year, they are 15-7(6 and 4 in conference) with a win over #16 Duke. Let's be honest here, Clemson does not have a good offense but they don't have too with the defense they play. Anyway, they play in a great basketball conference and have vastly improved. It took brownell 4 years to do it, but he's getting it done. Frank isn't even 2 years into his tenure, you guys seriously have to give it time. Spurrier didn't change the football team in one year. Very few people do.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #171
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
Clemson went 13-18(5 and 13 in conference) in Brownell's third year(I think). In his fourth year, they are 15-7(6 and 4 in conference) with a win over #16 Duke. Let's be honest here, Clemson does not have a good offense but they don't have too with the defense they play. Anyway, they play in a great basketball conference and have vastly improved. It took brownell 4 years to do it, but he's getting it done. Frank isn't even 2 years into his tenure, you guys seriously have to give it time. Spurrier didn't change the football team in one year. Very few people do.
22-12 his first year, not sure that it is a fair comparison.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #172
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

Quote:
Well he did inherit a team that had gone to the ncaa tournament the three years prior to him being there. Frank got.. Well he got a joke of a team.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #173
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
Well he did inherit a team that had gone to the ncaa tournament the three years prior to him being there. Frank got.. Well he got a joke of a team.
Joke of a team or a underachiving team? Roman Galloway was great at LaSalle. We all can agree Horn ran things into the ground.

But I think the nail was hit on the head, FM didn't inherit a tournament team, like he did at KState. He has no track record of program building, which is what we needed. Martin was able to take what Huggins put in at KState, Beasley, Sutton, Pullen, Walker, and run with it. He was going to get run out of town and we landed him.

Look I hope he can turn this around, but it is not looking like he can, IMO he was the wrong hire. I am all for giving him another year, maybe two, but he really needs to show improvement, as a coach, and on the court.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #174
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 17972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

The time to judge Frank Martin hasn't yet arrived. The program was in ashes. Ruins. He needs four years. If we had a better history, a coach might achieve the turnaround in 2-3 years. We're nobody in college basketball. It takes time.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #175
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
The time to judge Frank Martin hasn't yet arrived. The program was in ashes. Ruins. He needs four years. If we had a better history, a coach might achieve the turnaround in 2-3 years. We're nobody in college basketball. It takes time.

In year 2 you should be able to see marked improvement, look at SMU and Larry Brown. They moved into a tougher conference, Cincy, Memp, Louis, and have made great strides this year.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #176
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
So another words you can't try and convince someone why he is the right person for the job?

So another words........
Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #177
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
In year 2 you should be able to see marked improvement, look at SMU and Larry Brown. They moved into a tougher conference, Cincy, Memp, Louis, and have made great strides this year.
Makes a terrible attempt to compare basketball programs that are not alike at all.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #178
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Bait, you add a lot to the conversation! Which program would you like to compare ours too? SMU is a pretty fair comparison. Both programs have some history, nothing too recent, though Carolina's program has been better over the long run.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #179
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Joke of a team or a underachiving team? Roman Galloway was great at LaSalle. We all can agree Horn ran things into the ground.

But I think the nail was hit on the head, FM didn't inherit a tournament team, like he did at KState. He has no track record of program building, which is what we needed. Martin was able to take what Huggins put in at KState, Beasley, Sutton, Pullen, Walker, and run with it. He was going to get run out of town and we landed him.

Look I hope he can turn this around, but it is not looking like he can, IMO he was the wrong hire. I am all for giving him another year, maybe two, but he really needs to show improvement, as a coach, and on the court.
Says Frank Martin can't do it before allowing enough time to have a veteran team like he had over the years at Kansas State. Mad that Frank sustained success after Huggins left, but maintains that Martin can't coach. Bases the rest of his logic on internet rumors and hearsay.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #180
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

Quote:
Doesn't like the Brownell comparison.... Probably would hate to see Coach K's record.

Closed Thread