CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kevhugh
AtlGAMECOCK
usc90grad
cockybreeyan
soccerguy79
Yearofthegamecock
cockyguitar
Cockypantherfan
BlakelyH19
Gamecocks1137
A&M vent thread (15350)
SOS is pissed (7682)
I think the Gamecock (2986)
Jimmies and Joes (2470)
Man of my word (no t (2178)
I'm not looking forw (1802)
Here is the trophy f (1796)
Worst Beating since? (1769)
Good effort Cocks (1581)
Just a friendly PSA (1254)
SOS is pissed
A&M vent thread
Predict the Season (After
So, Dylan Thompson?
whats up with Mike?
Just a friendly PSA
Here's a terrifying stat
I hate a thief
Recruiting Question
Remember what Lou Holtz u

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #181
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit
Default Re: **USC vs. Tennessee GAME Thread**

You are a master at posting pics, yet not a I figured with your name you would be a master at debating. He sustained success with the players he was given. How many improved and went on to the NBA?
Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #182
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitandswitch View Post
Doesn't like the Brownell comparison.... Probably would hate to see Coach K's record.

Brownell inheirted a solid squad, not like he had to build from scratch.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 AM   #183
baitandswitch
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
baitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudlybaitandswitch is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
I have followed for a long time. Did not miss a game while I was in school. Martin has shown he ca recruit, yes. But I am not sold on him as a coach or a developer of talent. KState had a lot of talent while he was there, talent can cover up coaching, look at Ohio state the past few years. At this point the the season the freshman label does not apply. Fact is the kids still play way to tense. Look at the tam game, they played loose and ran away with it. They have not played the same way since. Too many blow outs. For those who say the players should get tougher skin or whatever to deal with Martin, I ask this, shouldn't a good coach know when to change his style to the players he has? He recruited these kids to play, so he can not blame not having the talent he wants.

Feel free to attack and slam me all you guys want, but ask yourselves this, has the team really improved since game one of the season ?
Says Frank can't develop talent, but Frank was recruiting about the same type of talent he is here and still won.

Says Frank can't coach, but Frank has been in the coaching profession for 28 years and made it as a head coach on the collegiate level, is well respected by coaches as a great coach, and is a proven winner.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #184
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

HMM, Pullen, Sutton, Beasley, Walker--all were recruited by Huggins, Colon was the only player Martin recruited in that time period. His best year was with Pullen and Sutton- Huggins players.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #185
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Funny Darrin Horn's winning % at WKU was better than FM's Winning % at KState. We all agree Horn sucks, so what has Martin shown that makes people think he is better?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #186
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitandswitch View Post
Doesn't like the Brownell comparison.... Probably would hate to see Coach K's record.

Are you really trying to compare Coach K to Martin, LOL.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #187
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20258950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

There is no debate.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #188
Ericvol2096
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Ericvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot materialEricvol2096 is USC mascot material

Frank Martin has a TN football level rebuild job. He needs 4 years before you begin to judge him.

I have a feeling our streak of beating yall will end during baseball season.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #189
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
There is no debate.

Can you answer my question, have you honestly seen improvement this year?
Old 02-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #190
treys1986
1st Team All-SEC

Male

treys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot materialtreys1986 is USC mascot material

I must admit that I am worried by the lack of improvement/development we have seen as a whole this season. Not saying Frank is a bad coach, or can't develop talent. I just hoped to see some improvement by this point in the season.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #191
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericvol2096 View Post
Frank Martin has a TN football level rebuild job. He needs 4 years before you begin to judge him.

I have a feeling our streak of beating yall will end during baseball season.
LOL, your program was not in as bad of shape as our hoops program.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #192
Gamecock_Aholic
Banned

Male

Gamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot materialGamecock_Aholic is USC mascot material

Quote:
Joke of a team or a underachiving team? Roman Galloway was great at LaSalle. We all can agree Horn ran things into the ground.

But I think the nail was hit on the head, FM didn't inherit a tournament team, like he did at KState. He has no track record of program building, which is what we needed. Martin was able to take what Huggins put in at KState, Beasley, Sutton, Pullen, Walker, and run with it. He was going to get run out of town and we landed him.

Look I hope he can turn this around, but it is not looking like he can, IMO he was the wrong hire. I am all for giving him another year, maybe two, but he really needs to show improvement, as a coach, and on the court.
How many of horns players were even on the team when he arrived? 4? He didn't get a chance to coach Ramon or Gill or Harris. He got left with Damian Leonard who was a complete bust and a 5 foot tall point guard who could barely dribble. I'm like you, I hope it all works out, I just don't think it's fair to judge him so bad right now.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #193
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock_Aholic View Post
How many of horns players were even on the team when he arrived? 4? He didn't get a chance to coach Ramon or Gill or Harris. He got left with Damian Leonard who was a complete bust and a 5 foot tall point guard who could barely dribble. I'm like you, I hope it all works out, I just don't think it's fair to judge him so bad right now.
I think we can all agree the talent was upgraded this year, but the team has not improved. Yes there are a bunch of Freshman, but at this point in the season they have 20 plus games under their belt, not really freshman at this point.

Last year we ran with 8 players, 3-4(Bruce) were still here this year. I think Ty is an upgrade over Eric Smith, Thronwell is a upgrade over Richardson and Harris/Ringer are upgrades over Jackson/Slawson, talent wise. There should be signs on marked improvement.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #194
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Funny Darrin Horn's winning % at WKU was better than FM's Winning % at KState. We all agree Horn sucks, so what has Martin shown that makes people think he is better?
This is a serious question?

Horn coached in the Sunbelt and made the NCAA Tournament 1 time. The year after, we overpaid him because of a ridiculous shot Courtney Lee made to get them to the Sweet 16.

Frank made the NCAA Tournament 4 times at K-State in the Big 12.

Also, if people are using the argument that Martin was winning with Huggins players, then what do you think Bruce Weber has done so far with Martin's players? K-State went 27-8 last season

Quote:
I think we can all agree the talent was upgraded this year, but the team has not improved. Yes there are a bunch of Freshman, but at this point in the season they have 20 plus games under their belt, not really freshman at this point.

Last year we ran with 8 players, 3-4(Bruce) were still here this year. I think Ty is an upgrade over Eric Smith, Thronwell is a upgrade over Richardson and Harris/Ringer are upgrades over Jackson/Slawson, talent wise. There should be signs on marked improvement.
They are still freshmen until the season is over. This is college basketball, unless you have the most elite freshmen, teams led by freshmen generally will struggle. We have some good and promising freshmen but they are learning on the job with no upperclassmen to really help them out besides Brenton Williams.

The defense has improved and this is only our third double-digit loss in SEC play. I don't get why people are expecting this team to beat experienced teams like Ole Miss, Florida and Tennessee on the road. You're really questioning Martin because he can't get a team with 7 freshmen and 5 sophomores to beat proven programs?

This is not a 2 year project, this is a long-term thing. Look how long it took Dawn Staley and Steve Spurrier to turn around the women's basketball and football programs.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #195
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
This is a serious question?

Horn coached in the Sunbelt and made the NCAA Tournament 1 time. The year after, we overpaid him because of a ridiculous shot Courtney Lee made to get them to the Sweet 16.

Frank made the NCAA Tournament 4 times at K-State in the Big 12.

Also, if people are using the argument that Martin was winning with Huggins players, then what do you think Bruce Weber has done so far with Martin's players? K-State went 27-8 last season
I am not saying Horn was anything of a good coach, but he did do well at WKU, they improved from year one on.

Hmm, So Bruce Weber did better with Martin's players? 22-11 in his last year at KSTATE. My point about Martin at KSTATE is Huggins but them on the map, Martin ran with it and Weber has kept it going.

you can call me a troll, but the fact is I have supported this team from the time I started school, 2001 and will do so till I die. I want to see them do great things, I see no reason why they can not. I have stated I am not sure Marshall was the right man, though he looks more and more like the real deal, but I also didn't think Martin was the answer at all.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #196
Harry Tuttle
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

Duane Notice isn't getting it done. Frank will get it together next year. Chat needs more playing time, he was nailing those 8-12' shots and will get better. I hate that we lose Brent but a big rotation of Ty, Sid, Carrera, Henry, and Chat could be pretty good and a smaller one with Henry sliding down and Steele coming in...IDk...still need more scorers.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #197
Harry Tuttle
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1200
Harry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervousHarry Tuttle is making other chickens nervous

I do miss Odom.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #198
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervousTwoNotch Dreams is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
I am not saying Horn was anything of a good coach, but he did do well at WKU, they improved from year one on.

Hmm, So Bruce Weber did better with Martin's players? 22-11 in his last year at KSTATE. My point about Martin at KSTATE is Huggins but them on the map, Martin ran with it and Weber has kept it going.
You're playing two sides of the fence. You're saying that Martin won with Huggins players, so he isn't that good. But then you're ignoring that Weber was winning with Martin's players the year before. Which one is it?

Quote:
you can call me a troll, but the fact is I have supported this team from the time I started school, 2001 and will do so till I die. I want to see them do great things, I see no reason why they can not. I have stated I am not sure Marshall was the right man, though he looks more and more like the real deal, but I also didn't think Martin was the answer at all.
You're throwing the towel in on Frank Martin 3/4's of the way into his 1st season with his own players. Do you not understand how ridiculously dumb that is?

Did you want Dawn Staley fired after her 2nd season too? How about Spurrier? If this was Year 4 or 5 of Martin with his own players, your point would be completely valid.

This team lacks three big things right now:

1. Experience
2. Talent
3. Offensive Punch

These are things that come with building a program. If we land a big fish like P.J. Dozier or Seventh Woods and continue to bring in solid complimentary pieces, this thing will turn around completely.

But if you're expecting this team to beat experienced SEC programs right now, you have unrealistic expectations and criticisms.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #199
TwoNotch Dreams
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Brownell inheirted a solid squad, not like he had to build from scratch.
Brownell inherited Purnell's players in his first season. It was a team that had been to the NCAA Tournament the 3 seasons before that.

None of the players from the last Clemson NCAA Tournament team are on the team right now. Their team is led by three juniors in Rod Hall, K.J. McDaniels and DeMarcus Harrison. I watched the Syracuse game last night and they kept it competitive for most of the game before inevitably losing by 13.

Brownell built the program from scratch, got guys who could buy in and now they have a team who could get back to the tournament. Why not give Frank the same amount of time to do that here?

USC gave Horn 4 years and when it was clear there was no light at the end of the tunnel, they canned him. The only time the team showed promise was with the team Dave Odom created.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #200
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
You're playing two sides of the fence. You're saying that Martin won with Huggins players, so he isn't that good. But then you're ignoring that Weber was winning with Martin's players the year before. Which one is it?

You're throwing the towel in on Frank Martin 3/4's of the way into his 1st season with his own players. Do you not understand how ridiculously dumb that is?

Did you want Dawn Staley fired after her 2nd season too? How about Spurrier? If this was Year 4 or 5 of Martin with his own players, your point would be completely valid.

This team lacks three big things right now:

1. Experience
2. Talent
3. Offensive Punch

These are things that come with building a program. If we land a big fish like P.J. Dozier or Seventh Woods and continue to bring in solid complimentary pieces, this thing will turn around completely.

But if you're expecting this team to beat experienced SEC programs right now, you have unrealistic expectations and criticisms.
No I said Weber is till running what was there, and infact had a better record than Martin with Martin's players.

As for the 3 things we lack, at this point, exeperince is there. 20 plus games into the season, you know how to play with your teammates and should know what your team is trying to do.

The talent is there, or should be there. It has been upgraded from the last year.

And my expections are improvement, getting blown out game after game is not improving.